Marathon Weekend 2016

Exactly!

This all just frustrates me beyond belief.

My last major project in the sports world was creating and implementing social media and spectator communications for a Big Five sporting league - and you'd think RunDisney, with the number of people they cater to, would have something similar.

But in the wake of how TERRIBLE communication was during W&D was, you'd think the organization would make quite a few changes. But nope, they take more and more steps back and become even lazier in their communication practices.

For the amount of money people pay for these races AND to travel, you'd think they could get timely updates.

Quite a few people are going to be screwed because of this and I really feel bad because there's no reason a statement like this had to come out less than 24 hours before the Expo opens.

Exactly!

This all just frustrates me beyond belief.

My last major project in the sports world was creating and implementing social media and spectator communications for a Big Five sporting league - and you'd think RunDisney, with the number of people they cater to, would have something similar.

But in the wake of how TERRIBLE communication was during W&D was, you'd think the organization would make quite a few changes. But nope, they take more and more steps back and become even lazier in their communication practices.

For the amount of money people pay for these races AND to travel, you'd think they could get timely updates.

Quite a few people are going to be screwed because of this and I really feel bad because there's no reason a statement like this had to come out less than 24 hours before the Expo opens.

I've always been surprised at my perception of the popularity of these races vs. the lack of interest runDisney seems to show in their media presence. I have no expertise in communications, but their website, blog, and social media presence all seem to be afterthoughts. I guess the races sell out so quickly that they don't have any motivation to up their game; but it's kind of disappointing.

Looking through the pictures RunDisney posted from the Avengers race in Nov, a large number of those costumes would be in violation of the new policy. My guess is that they won't really enforce a number of these. If the morning is coolish, there will be people wearing layers to stay warm, and not much of a costume will be visible.

Once the race starts, I don't see them pulling runners off of the road for being in violation of a cape being too long.

It is truly unbelievable that they waited until Tuesday of the biggest weekend they have to send out the new rules

So I'm just now getting the costume notification by email. I'm not even sure what to do :rolleyes2 Do I wear my robe-ish costume (mid-thigh length "sorcerer mickey" dress) or not? I was already debating because of the heat, but now this......And I never would have shelled out the money for it in the first place if I had known. Honestly, between the weather and the email, I'm of the mindset to just throw in the towel and run in my usual tank and skirt. :sad2:

Personally I think the costume thing has gotten a tad out of control overall so I'm happy that the 'extreme' costumes will be limited etc as at the end of the day it's an endurance running event not a costume walk..

But I think it's in REALLY bad taste to release it with no fanfare less than 24 hrs before the biggest race weekend of the year... Esp with so many 'what abouts' that haven't been clarified... It's like will the firefighters be allowed to run in full gear? What about ladies that like to run in longer (non costume/ religious based) skirts? I wish they'd almost released good/bad pictures to go with so people could visibly match good vs bad...

Looking through the pictures RunDisney posted from the Avengers race in Nov, a large number of those costumes would be in violation of the new policy. My guess is that they won't really enforce a number of these. If the morning is coolish, there will be people wearing layers to stay warm, and not much of a costume will be visible.

Once the race starts, I don't see them pulling runners off of the road for being in violation of a cape being too long.

It is truly unbelievable that they waited until Tuesday of the biggest weekend they have to send out the new rules

I'm thinking they are going to do what they did back when they first started making people pick up their own bibs. Give them some adjustment time (they kind of have to there are people who are all ready on property and they dropped this today of all days). And then start really cracking down either at Princess or Dark Side.

In other news - this is exciting!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Anyone want to make bets on what kind of crazy course record she sets??
In other news - this is exciting!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Anyone want to make bets on what kind of crazy course record she sets??

Great....I'll wave to her as I make my way past mile 2 and she's heading to mile 10. :sad:

I am relieved that my outfit is basically just running clothes with Minnie polka dots on them. So being lazy about waiting too long to make my costume I guess paid off. Imagine if I had come as the giant silver Epcot ball! (I don't think I actually would have but I know the idea was being kicked around a few hundred pages ago.) BUT I am sad for all those people who actually did put time and effort and now may need to ditch something in a garbage can. Hopefully everyone with costumes that won't work packed extra stuff...or the Expo booths are going to make some extra money this weekend #conspiracytheory

For reference for those wondering about crowds. This is the line for the peoplemover when I walked by earlier to the Laugh Floor.

Admittedly I might have hit the peak park today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 51
For reference for those wondering about crowds. This is the line for the peoplemover when I walked by earlier to the Laugh Floor.

Oh no! That is my worst fear realized. I was hoping if lines were a little bad we could go do things like people mover and tiki birds etc.
I posted earlier about my anxiety being gone but I lied...my anxiety is kicking into full gear. I'm not nervous about running...I'm nervous about park touring!

Admittedly I might have hit the peak park today.

Gross - that's what it looked like the Sunday after Christmas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter