Marathon Weekend 2016

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

Race: half marathon
Name: Zach
Dis Screen Name: NurseRunner
Costume: not quite that brave
Corral: J
Early Bird or Late Arriver? Early bird
Front Middle or Back of corral? Probably middle
Expected Pace: between 14-14:30 mm

QOTD:
If you had to choose only one race distance to run, what distance and why?
I haven't run a half or a marathon yet it if I had to choose out of the distances I've done so far I would choose a 10K. It's more than a 5K of course and it's less than a half. I really like distance whether it be for training or a race.

My last long run is tomorrow, 8 miles. What a difference the taper makes!

QOTD:
Going to copy LSUlakes. It would be the marathon for me also. I really like halfs but the marathon is just a bigger bite. I have learned more about myself in the marathons I have run. Mostly that I am a gluten for punishment, but stubborn. Plus my first marathon finish was a life moment for me. Behind the sweat, pain and tears was the biggest smile in my life. No other race has given me that.

Oh Gosh, That is right. We ran the wine and dine half and it passed the yacht and beach clubs. So that is what I was thinking of. OK, I will have to change my plans. LOL

After cheering at either the TTC and Poly or the MK, you can cheer as the runners enter back into the Epcot parking lot just past mile 12

You can wait until they get closer to the entrance to cheer and then see them again as they leave the park, cross the finish line

Of course if you have tickets and want to cheer inside Epcot you can do that as long as it is open. The later corrals it should be open.

I have a marathon playlist of nothing but Disney soundtracks of attractions, parades, shows, and fireworks. The playlist is all area timed and themed. Approaching the MK I have the welcome show playing. Main Street Electrical parade starts when entering the MK. Jammin Jungle parade is at AK. Fantasmic when approaching HS and Tapestry of Nations will follow as I leave HS. I also will finish with the final song from Fantasmic for the final 1/3 mile. Pace will not be as fast as I would like at the finish. All other areas have the upbeat parade soundtracks to keep me going.
I think I could listen to a loop of Hallowishes & Boo to You for 26.2 miles no problem...now you have me singing it!
"Boo to you and you and you and you, happy Halloween!"

I guess I could just get the ring resized, right?

yeah but where's the fun in that LOL

I notice the mile 24-25 appears to be through the Boardwalk area. Will there be a bunch of people there cheering? By that point, my husband's energy is helped by having people and excitement around, but our kids and I will be at the finish line.

You will absolutely have plenty of people cheering at that area, this is where my family will be meeting up to see me before the finish. This is my first time running but from everything I have read and heard this is easily one of the best courses for crowd support so your husband should get plenty of boost from them. Good luck to him!

I have a marathon playlist of nothing but Disney soundtracks of attractions, parades, shows, and fireworks. The playlist is all area timed and themed. Approaching the MK I have the welcome show playing. Main Street Electrical parade starts when entering the MK. Jammin Jungle parade is at AK. Fantasmic when approaching HS and Tapestry of Nations will follow as I leave HS. I also will finish with the final song from Fantasmic for the final 1/3 mile. Pace will not be as fast as I would like at the finish. All other areas have the upbeat parade soundtracks to keep me going.

my playlist for the race is a mixture of Disney and some regular stuff its about half and half and I'm not smart enough to time it out so it will just be on random wich will be fun since ill get surprised by whatever comes on then at mile 25 ill switch to my fantasmic finale

for me right now its the Half, while I have mostly enjoyed training for the marathon it is such a time suck that its very hard to do all the time while also working full time and still spending time with family. The half on the other hand is hard enough that it requires training I don't feel like I have to sacrifice as much

Is the TTC/Poly viewing area the same for the full as for the half? My husband is doing the Dopey, and I'm doing everything but the full (which I have deemed the Minnie). So I'd like to see him during the full and we are staying at the Poly.

Thanks for replying. I knew there were some on here that liked to be later so its good to hear their experience with this. What corral were you in last year?

E for the half and the full.

QOTD:
If you had to choose only one race distance to run, what distance and why

100 miles because it's the only distance I want to run but have not done yet. If you're asking what one distance would I choose if I could only run one forever, I'd choose the marathon. It's challenging, requires dedication to do successfully, and worth traveling around the world for.

Is the TTC/Poly viewing area the same for the full as for the half? My husband is doing the Dopey, and I'm doing everything but the full (which I have deemed the Minnie). So I'd like to see him during the full and we are staying at the Poly.

Yes. You can see him at the TTC and then walk over to see him run by Poly & GF on his way out of MK.

Last weekend for our "long" runs. Hope it goes or has gone well for you.

QOTD:

ATTQOTD - The marathon because I enjoy a good challenge and the distance is one that takes a lot of work to try to master.

100 miles because it's the only distance I want to run but have not done yet. If you're asking what one distance would I choose if I could only run one forever, I'd choose the marathon. It's challenging, requires dedication to do successfully, and worth traveling around the world for.

My two big goals are to qualify and get into Boston and to run the Umstead 100. I'm hoping to qualify for Boston this year. Umstead sells out in seconds so the only way to get in is to do one of the volunteer jobs nobody likes. I'm hoping to do that this year to get into Umstead in 2017.

I can see a lot of people's points about the full. Particularly Johns point about it being worth travelling for. I do at least 1 marathon trip a year and really like it. That being said I probably enjoy the half distance more. I feel like I can push myself harder without needing a long recovery.

There's definitely a beer truck. Last year they had 3-4 craft beers.

This is the part that baffled me when I first started cheering and being my friends photographer around the course 6 to 7 years ago. After they went to their corrals the first year I was thinking, Really, there is a beer truck with 5 or 6 table tops. That's when the beer guy filled me in on the carbs and recovery.

See you can teach an old dog new tricks :lmao::lmao::lmao:

QOTD:

Half marathon. Just seems to be a sweet spot balancing speed and endurance for me. 5k is just too short and speed-dependent. 10k is OK, but not ideal (and a lot of 10k don't have medals :)). Haven't tried a marathon yet, but the training time involved is a deterrent ( even though I had planned to do it next wknd).

I think I could listen to a loop of Hallowishes & Boo to You for 26.2 miles no problem...now you have me singing it!
"Boo to you and you and you and you, happy Halloween!"

They are both in my playlist. I am going to shuffle it a little bit around from last years full, but the main songs will be in the same areas.

My two big goals are to qualify and get into Boston and to run the Umstead 100. I'm hoping to qualify for Boston this year. Umstead sells out in seconds so the only way to get in is to do one of the volunteer jobs nobody likes. I'm hoping to do that this year to get into Umstead in 2017.

I can see a lot of people's points about the full. Particularly Johns point about it being worth travelling for. I do at least 1 marathon trip a year and really like it. That being said I probably enjoy the half distance more. I feel like I can push myself harder without needing a long recovery.

That's a good way to attract volunteers. Hope you can get in for next year. The half is definitely more enjoyable from a recovery standpoint. You don't feel wiped out for the rest of the day.

QOTD:

Half-marathon because it's an easy race for me at this point.

I find mile 18/19 to be tough and then the last stretch towards 26.2 can be a struggle. Hoping I'll be too energized and prepared enough next week to not face any issues.

But... My goal for this year or next is to qualify for a world major, so there will be many more marathons to come!

Last edited:
QOTD:

Definitely the marathon, for all of the plethora of reasons that a marathon is different than a half-marathon. The marathon just gives me a different sense of exhilaration.

E for the half and the full.

Well then maybe it was just an isolated incident.

I'll go with a half marathon only because it is enough to challenge me somewhat, but I know I can do it, and I love the feeling at the end. I do feel like I accomplished something great. This full marathon training is doing me in, and I am concerned the full may leave me with disappointment. Hopefully that changes next week, but right now I'm being a Debbie Downer to myself. ;)

we can get the 10% off at the expo? I had no idea ...this could be trouble LOL but good to know we can use the rewards cards thanks for the response

Well bummer guess I just need to go ahead and order mine then...

Toy Story, Tower of Terror and Areosmith I would say are the top 3 maybe Star Tours as well...the problem with DHS now adays is there is so much LESS to do there until the new lands go up that I fear everything that is there now will have a fairly decent we are only doing a half day there and hitting some highlights and of course Fantasmic! I am actually making a separate playlist of just the finale song from Fantasmic and plan to start it during my final mile

That's the best thing I have read all day! :) I love the Fantasmic soundtrack.

I have the opening song from Fantastic as my alarm and ring tone. There is a full soundtrack for Fantasmic? Is it in iTunes or the Playstore?

I'll answer the QOTD when I get home from work. This requires some consideration.

Weather Update from WDW @ 7:00AM this morning....

24023634692_7b1d62797d_b.jpg

Wet & Windy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter