Marathon Weekend 2016

perhaps one day we'll get a choice of which medals to pick up: Mickey/Minnie for the full, Donald/Daisy for the half, Goofy/Clarabelle for the Goofy Challenge, Pluto/Figaro for the 10K, and 5K Mickey's nephews/Minnie's nieces

There's definitely not plenty,but I have seen a few!!
Run princess, there are more than a few.

If you get to the corrals at the time we usually do, about 530, you'll see plenty there and on the walk over from bag check. It's not a big deal or anything. No one really cares.
Yup. Everybody pee's, when it gets close to time for people to be in corrals and the porta potty lines are long, concern about making it to the start on time is not gender specific.

Don't throw out the sponge (although I think it's now a washcloth?) they give you in WWoS right away, especially if it's hot out. You can re-wet it at later water stops.

@SarahS123 in my signature I have a couple of trip reports about the marathon, if you want to know a bit about the on-course experience check them out (or search the trip reports section of this board for some other reports). Reading other trip reports helped me a lot before my first runDisney race weekend. :)

I loooove the sponge/washcloth. I actually bring my own and start out with it for the marathon if it's expected to be a warm day, and let people dump water on your head if it's hot. Seriously, it'll feel awesome.

PREPARE FOR ANY AND ALL WEATHER POSSIBILITIES. NO, SERIOUSLY, I MEAN IT.

1. That it basically flies by so soak it all in, the expo, pre-race, the race & post-race stuff!
2. Hold out for real bathrooms on course if you can

To the real bathroom point Coach Charles way back in the day used to post where those real bathrooms are:
Based on running goofy a couple of times here's were I remember them during the half and full. Please comment if you know of other ones.

Half Marathon:
Before you start there is a real bathroom near the base of the monorail platform by guest relations
Mile 4 at the gift shop near the TTC. There are bathrooms at the back of the building (you pass on the left hand side of the building.) bathrooms are at the back of it past the vending machines. There are also bathrooms on the right hand side of the building. You'll have to go slightly of course to get to the bathrooms on the right hand side of the building but the lines there will be much shorter.
Magic Kingdom about mile 5.6 there are bathrooms in Tomorrowland. They are both by mickey's star traders. There are also the bathrooms to the right of the teacups.
In Frontierland around mile 6 there is the large set of bathrooms between frontierland and Adventureland.
Epcot around mile 12 there are bathrooms in the buildings near spaceship earth.

Full Marathon Bathrooms are the same through mile 6ish
Animal Kingdom about mile 12.5 there are bathrooms in asia right on the side of the course. This is one of my favorite bathrooms because it's so close to the course.
Studios about mile 23.25 as you make the turn to head down towards tower of terror there will be a bathroom on the left.
Epcot about mile 25.2 there are big bathrooms close to the course on your right just before you get to Germany.

I'm sure I'm missing some in WWOS and in AK studios and epcot.

What's one thing (or more) that you wish you had known before your first runDisney race?

Be patient.

I'm around a 5-hour marathoner and based on the corral and my pace it is congested nearly all the way from the start until around mile 7 (where the route opens up after GF and Poly). People will stop in front of you, cut in front of you...and you may do the same to them. Just remember you're at Disneyworld, there's a medal (or several) waiting for you at the finish, and there's worse things than being in Florida in January. Try not to get mad because it will ruin your mood. Just go with the flow and have fun!

I'm. Still. Sick. I feel so much better and got treated for a sinus infection but this cough just won't quit. Sticking around now for almost a month since it started a couple days before we left WDW after W&D. Thankfully I have been able to pick up my running again and did my 17 miler last weekend but much slower than I hoped. Fingers crossed this either gets outta here or I get a crazy adrenaline rush that knocks out my coughing during the full. I'm nervous enough with it being my first lol

Changing gears. One month from today is the full!! I'm so excited and also making myself crazy because I can't stop looking at the corrals and documents. Hopefully I'm not the only one that has been staring at the same pictures for multiple days straight now.

Be patient.

I'm around a 5-hour marathoner and based on the corral and my pace it is congested nearly all the way from the start until around mile 7 (where the route opens up after GF and Poly). People will stop in front of you, cut in front of you...and you may do the same to them. Just remember you're at Disneyworld, there's a medal (or several) waiting for you at the finish, and there's worse things than being in Florida in January. Try not to get mad because it will ruin your mood. Just go with the flow and have fun!

Great advice. The simple truth is that there will be other runners that confuse, anger, or exasperate you throughout the race for any myriad of reasons. Your mentality to deal with those situations can greatly enhance or diminish your overall enjoyment of your race.

Alright everyone. Attached you will find a comprehensive listing of dis'ers participating in marathon weekend 2016. Some things to note:

-I made estimates on starting times for corrals based on previous years (both from published trip reports and from gun/chip time differential).
-Bib#s were removed in case anyone was concerned.
-The data within a certain race was sorted first by corral and then by expected pace within corral.
-Expected pace is in min/mile.
-The estimated time (as in daily clock time) at which you will arrive at each milestone is based on the distance to milestone (an approximate guess), expected start time, and expected pace.
-If you didn't give me an expected pace, then I wrote unknown which causes the formula to not be able to calculate when you arrive at milestones (#VALUE!)
-The Ballon Ladies are listed last as an approximation as to when and where they will be at each milestone. This is an approximation so please don't hold me to it.
-The marathon page was split into two so that it didn't become ridiculously tiny. Milestones 4-15.9 are on the first page, and milestones 16.6-26.2 are on the last.

If you see any errors please, or would prefer to see the data presented differently let me know. If you'd like to adjust your paces for any of the races now that you see what this draft looks like let me know. Otherwise, I think this will be a useful tool for everyone to find similar people within their corral, and to give this to their families so they can find you and other dis'ers based on the time of day. I see it as a game, which spectators can spot the most dis'ers!

Attachments

• Marathon Weekend Dis'ers 2015_12_10.pdf
    266.8 KB · Views: 119

That's a good one.
I did the Frozen 5K last year ... I thought I was leaving New York so that I didn't have to wear so many layers while I run. I was not happy about the actual freezing weather (although thankfully my costume easily lent itself to adding an extra layer).
Meanwhile, after the Half Marathon on Sunday, people were complaining about the heat. So you can have extremes in the same weekend - we should all remember that and be prepared for it!

Agree! I am pretty bad with over-packing, but in January due to said over-packing I had layers for the unexpected wind chill that came through the area the night before the 10K. Ended up needing to layer my 5K and 10K outfits, and I was so glad I had brought extra stuff of my own to use!

While I'm still here in limbo worrying about my hip issue and trying not to be too upset in case it is something, I have a funny story to share. Last night we had parent/teacher meetings for our son and we had to let the teachers know we were taking him out of school for a week (UGH...I hate having to do this). But as we got talking with 1 teacher about where we are going, it turns out she is running the marathon too. Small World! :)

Alright everyone. Attached you will find a comprehensive listing of dis'ers participating in marathon weekend 2016. Some things to note:

-I made estimates on starting times for corrals based on previous years (both from published trip reports and from gun/chip time differential).
-The data within a certain race was sorted first by corral and then by expected pace within corral.
-The estimated time (as in daily clock time) at which you will arrive at each milestone is based on the distance to milestone (an approximate guess), expected start time, and expected pace.
-If you didn't give me an expected pace, then I wrote unknown which causes the formula to not be able to calculate when you arrive at milestones (#VALUE!)
-The Ballon Ladies are listed last as an approximation as to when and where they will be at each milestone. This is an approximation so please don't hold me to it.
-The marathon page was split into two so that it didn't become ridiculously tiny. Milestones 4-15.9 are on the first page, and milestones 16.6-26.2 are on the last.

If you see any errors please, or would prefer to see the data presented differently let me know. If you'd like to adjust your paces for any of the races now that you see what this draft looks like let me know. Otherwise, I think this will be a useful tool for everyone to find similar people within their corral, and to give this to their families so they can find you and other dis'ers based on the time of day. I see it as a game, which spectators can spot the most dis'ers!

Wow!! This is brilliant thanks!

Loving all these tips! Like I said before my family have been to Disney many times (parents probs 30+) but we have never been on a race weekend, so we're not completely clueless, just slightly!

Also can't believe its 30 days til the marathon. I've just booked my tickets to head home for the holidays and I'm not going back to my flat between then and Disney so I basically have to have my bags packed for marathon weekend on the 21st December - which is like less than two weeks away!! I've been on a few runcations before but the packing never gets any less stressful for me, better start writing my lists!

Good morning everyone! I have a question regarding corral placement and I'm coming to the experts for some help. When I registered for the marathon, I submitted a time from my first half marathon in hopes of getting an earlier start corral. My estimated finish time was 6:30:07. (This is really aggravating to me because my last half finish time was much faster than my first, but it happened at the end of Oct. and I couldn't submit it!) Anyhow, I've been placed in corral "N". I'm confused...shouldn't I be in "L"? What am I missing? This is my first full marathon and I really, REALLY was hoping to have every extra minute as possible to finish! Lol!

Thanks so much for putting this together!

This only makes me more excited for the upcoming races. I hope to meet some Disers at the Half or 5K!

This is great!! Thanks for doing this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter