Marathon Weekend 2016

as for me I had my longest run to date today, 18 miles and it went OK, I was feeling really really great through the first half and actually all the way up to mile 14 but then my back started to really bother me and it killed my mental game and I had to kindof power walk and jog alternately for a couple miles before kind of getting my mojo back and finishing ok, I have struggled with back pain off and on since I started running (I have mild scoliosis) and I have gotten to the point where anything up to 13 miles doesn't really bother me anymore but clearly these longer runs are more taxing, I thought about taking advil ahead of running but then saw some things that say this is a bad idea, anyone else have any other ideas?

Taking Advil, Alleve, or any NSAID before running is a very bad idea. They can cause potentially life threatening issues with your kidneys. If you need to take anything, your best bet is Tylenol. To help with your back problem, I'd recommend yoga. I know that's my default recommendation for lots of things, but it really is good for you. My wife gets on my case for not doing it enough, and she's a teacher so she should know. :) I'd also pay attention to your posture while you are running. As you get tired, you have a tendency to pull your shoulders up, hunch over, and look at the ground right in front of you, all of which will put a strain on your back. If you find yourself doing this, make a mental note to run a bit with your hands down by your side every mile and then run a bit with your hands clasped behind your back to help alleviate the tightness.

As you get tired, you have a tendency to pull your shoulders up, hunch over, and look at the ground right in front of you, all of which will put a strain on your back. If you find yourself doing this, make a mental note to run a bit with your hands down by your side every mile and then run a bit with your hands clasped behind your back to help alleviate the tightness.

After reading the suggestion here, I have made it a habit to drop my arms and roll my shoulders after every mile. It has definitely made a difference!

After reading the suggestion here, I have made it a habit to drop my arms and roll my shoulders after every mile. It has definitely made a difference!
Also, if you are not already doing so I recommend some strength training for the arms, upper back, shoulders and neck. 30 minutes twice/week can make a huge difference on long runs.

Not running related, but I am so happy that Alabama won the SEC Championship game last night, making it back to the playoffs. This will definitely make not running these races easier since the playoffs take place in January when we will be in WDW.

At one of the marathon weekend expo talks a year or 2 ago they discussd posture. They talked about holding both arms straight up overhead and deep breathing for a few seconds when needed to. That helped me that year.

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who advised me to start breaking in my new shoes now. I wore them today and they were great, so I know they'll definitely be good for at least the 5K in January, maybe even the 10K (I'll try them on a long run to make sure they can handle that distance, and then decide which shoe to wear for each race). I actually feel better knowing that I'll have two pairs of shoes for the two races - even though I could most likely do both races in the same shoes, I like knowing that I don't have to. So thanks for the awesome advice, guys!

. I'm convinced something is off on the pedometer, LOL, and I don't really remember miles 14-18 (did I black out and just keep running???), but I guess I did it and survived! Only 6 more miles to go...I'm not sure if I feel like :cool1: or :scared1: about that.

You were in what professional athletes call "the zone" and it's a wonderful place to be. To run longer distances without thinking about running is a true gift. While we can never score 40 points on a basketball court, throw for 300 yards on a football field or post a hat trick on a sheet of ice, I'd take 5/10/15/20 miles on the trail or road any day!

as for me I had my longest run to date today, 18 miles and it went OK, I was feeling really really great through the first half and actually all the way up to mile 14 but then my back started to really bother me and it killed my mental game and I had to kindof power walk and jog alternately for a couple miles before kind of getting my mojo back and finishing ok, I have struggled with back pain off and on since I started running (I have mild scoliosis) and I have gotten to the point where anything up to 13 miles doesn't really bother me anymore but clearly these longer runs are more taxing, I thought about taking advil ahead of running but then saw some things that say this is a bad idea, anyone else have any other ideas?

Have you tried stretching and foam rolling, the gluts in particular? Many back issues have been found to originate with tight glut muscles. Foam rolling before running (or anytime, for that matter) really seems to help keep my back muscles loose. Add in the IT bands, hammies and hips for a pretty good use of 10-15 minutes. Though time seems so limited these days, if I ever retire I will stretch, roll, lift and do yoga all day. Not sure there will be any time left for running!

Ran the Colder Boulder 5k yesterday with my sons and did a 20 miler early this morning. Glad to have the 20 done, it was only 23 degrees but at least no wind. I can handle cold, heat, rain, snow, and sleet, but a strong headwind is excruciating.

A side note from yesterday as we were walking to the starting line through part of the University of Colorado campus:

Me: Look guys, the mathematics building.
DS: Wait a minute, Dad. At our school we have one tiny room for math, they have an entire building for addition and subtraction???
Me: Pretty much! And probably a little multiplication and division too. :)

We also walked by the astrophysics building and through a courtyard where dressed-up(!) students were demonstrating their solar-powered inventions. Astrophysics and solar-powered inventions, how cool is that???

Anyway, have a great week everyone!

@bellanotte10 im so sorry about your aunt and your dog. I would be devastated. :(

@dancingtodisney yes, good quality! Get lots of compliments on it. :)
Thank you. I am devastated. I can't train where I used to because it's also where I'd take him for walks, so it's been hard....there's a nice lake near me that's frequently used as a 5k spot because it's about 3 miles around the whole thing. Haven't been able to get myself back there

@LSUlakes

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. That means a lot :)

And yay bib numbers! Looks like I won't have any issues w my running mates this time. Had a lot of issues with the ToT last year....we were all in different corrals. It was such a nightmare

Also, if you are not already doing so I recommend some strength training for the arms, upper back, shoulders and neck. 30 minutes twice/week can make a huge difference on long runs.

Why is that? Definite newbie question!

Also I was reading a book where some said the arms take you up Gil's, but I couldn't understand her explain action of how- she said it was like punching the air totally didn't follow unless she meant like and undercut. Would someone mind explaining?!

Thanks! As always :)

Thank you. I am devastated. I can't train where I used to because it's also where I'd take him for walks, so it's been hard....there's a nice lake near me that's frequently used as a 5k spot because it's about 3 miles around the whole thing. Haven't been able to get myself back there

@LSUlakes

So sorry about your aunt and your pet. For some of us they are truly a member of our families. Hopefully the pain of the loss will end, but the memories remain.
Sending hugs and prayers.

Not running related, but I am so happy that Alabama won the SEC Championship game last night, making it back to the playoffs. This will definitely make not running these races easier since the playoffs take place in January when we will be in WDW.

Looks like I know where you'll be on New Year's Eve now!

If memory serves me correctly, we watched the final game on Monday after DATW this year.

Not sure if anyone else saw this, but it looks like the marathon bib numbers are up.

Estimating I'll be starting in the second to last corral. Feeling very nervous, but I'll power through it!

Got my Dopey bib number. Now just to wait until they post waivers so I can find out Mom's bib Number (she's just doing the 5k which of course won't be listed there).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter