Marathon Weekend 2016

(As of right now at least) My sister & I are at Pop, 1/5-1/12 ... which is our longest trip ever!

My dates are almost exactly the same: my sister and I are arriving 1/5 and flying out on 1/13. We'll be doing a split stay starting at All Star Sports, then switching to Pop on 1/8! Maybe we can meet up for a post-race chocolate session :teeth:

Now that reservations have opened, where is everyone staying/when are you checking in/how long will you be there?

I'm bringing the wife and son (since it's just a few days after his birthday), staying 1/5 until either 1/12 or 1/13 (haven't decided fully), probably at All Star Sports.

Will there be a meetup for us DISers?

We are staying 1/6-1/13 in Port Orleans Riverside. It will be Me(Dopey), DH, DS(10K), DD(5k).

Now that reservations have opened, where is everyone staying/when are you checking in/how long will you be there?

I'm bringing the wife and son (since it's just a few days after his birthday), staying 1/5 until either 1/12 or 1/13 (haven't decided fully), probably at All Star Sports.

We're planning to head out for Florida on Dec. 21 and probably won't return to Texas until Jan. 20, so we'll be celebrating the holidays with my family in Florida. My "entourage" will arrive the night of the 5k, and I believe they're all planning to stay in a group block at the Swolphin, unless I can get a better group rate from Disney.

I'd be happy to organize something pre-Dopey, if peeps are interested.

We're planning to head out for Florida on Dec. 21 and probably won't return to Texas until Jan. 20, so we'll be celebrating the holidays with my family in Florida. My "entourage" will arrive the night of the 5k, and I believe they're all planning to stay in a group block at the Swolphin, unless I can get a better group rate from Disney.

I'd be happy to organize something pre-Dopey, if peeps are interested.
I'll be there with my wife, both sons and at least one of their girlfriends. Not sure when we will arrive - probably around New Years. Staying until the 14th, then going on a cruise, so it's a long trip for us too. Really looking forward to it.

As for meeting up - depends on when/where. I will certainly try if you guys organize something.

We are leaving on the 8th but staying in Gainesville and checking in on the 9th till 14th at the Wilderness lodge. My wife and I haven't been to Disney since our honeymoon ~6 years ago. Our DD will be making her first trip and will be two at the time. It's going to be a fun trip.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback earlier this week from many of you on my question about my achilles tenderness. Doctor thinks it is tendinitis, but not a tear or anything. I do get to keep running - have to slow down and reduce milage for 6 weeks. Turns out it is better to run a little than not at all. Also have a load of exercises, stretches and icing routine now.

I really did not want to back off at all, but all your feedback made me go see my docotor, and she said I have to for awhile. End result I should be fine time wise with prep for the Detroit Marathon, which is in October. Had hoped to run a half in September to push my PR for a better corral for Dopey. I am going to have to relax on that. But if I really tore something how stupid would that be! The thought of losing up to a year is terrifying! So better to heal up properly, thanks for the reality check. I really do appreciate the it.

I am glad you ended up going to the doctor and ruling out injuries. It's weird though. My doctor told me to do more exercise to get rid of the tendinitis. I had it in both knees and Achilles. He told me to keep exercising and lose weight. My knees don't ever hurt anymore. My Achilles only hurt if I take 2 days off in a row. But, do your thing and get healed so you can be healthy for your races.

I am going from the 8th to the 11th or 12th. I still haven't decided where I am staying. I figure if I wait long enough to decide the gods will make my decision for me because there will only be 1 room left and I will have to take it. I can make a case for all 3 level hotels.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with ridiculous amounts of humidity? I'm loving England's temps not so much the almost constant 80-90 percent humidity it seems like (plus last weeks heat wave which thank god seems to be ending, that was a bundle of fun without air conditioning). Especially for a girl who is used to a much drier climate.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with ridiculous amounts of humidity? I'm loving England's temps not so much the almost constant 80-90 percent humidity it seems like (plus last weeks heat wave which thank god seems to be ending, that was a bundle of fun without air conditioning). Especially for a girl who is used to a much drier climate.

Two things are key when running in humidity. One, as @BuckeyeBama said above, you need to slow down. Instead of running by pace, run by level of effort. Trying to maintain your normal pace in hot and/or humid conditions will be very difficult and can lead to overexertion issues. Keeping your effort the same, however, will naturally reduce your pace to a level where you can safely get your run in. The second key is to make sure you are well hydrated before and during your run. You'll be sweating more than normal, so you need to drink plenty of fluids during the day. I'd also recommend taking salt tabs for runs of over 90 minutes. They'll help replace the electrolytes you lose when sweating that much. A last point: don't push it. Don't think that just because you can run 10 miles at home means you can go right out and run 10 miles in different conditions. Be smart and safe and ease into it for a few days while you acclimate.

First time at BC 1/5-1/11

Two things are key when running in humidity. One, as @BuckeyeBama said above, you need to slow down. Instead of running by pace, run by level of effort. Trying to maintain your normal pace in hot and/or humid conditions will be very difficult and can lead to overexertion issues. Keeping your effort the same, however, will naturally reduce your pace to a level where you can safely get your run in. The second key is to make sure you are well hydrated before and during your run. You'll be sweating more than normal, so you need to drink plenty of fluids during the day. I'd also recommend taking salt tabs for runs of over 90 minutes. They'll help replace the electrolytes you lose when sweating that much. A last point: don't push it. Don't think that just because you can run 10 miles at home means you can go right out and run 10 miles in different conditions. Be smart and safe and ease into it for a few days while you acclimate.

Sounds about right to me. The only other thing I would say is to try and get your runs in either early morning or at night when there is no sun to compound the humidity. Just be drinking water constantly throughout the day, especially if you have no air conditioning.

I am glad you ended up going to the doctor and ruling out injuries. It's weird though. My doctor told me to do more exercise to get rid of the tendinitis. I had it in both knees and Achilles. He told me to keep exercising and lose weight. My knees don't ever hurt anymore. My Achilles only hurt if I take 2 days off in a row. But, do your thing and get healed so you can be healthy for your races.

That is wierd, no way did my doctor indicate to do more. I was told clearly to reduce, but not stop. I was told to keep running, but have to reduce the milage and no speedwork at all. Sounds like slightly different opinons? I am just happy that I get to keep running though!

Hi, All,
I will be joining the 1st-time Marathon Attemptors this January. While looking for resort information, I came upon this thread earlier this evening--74 pages and 3+ hours later...wow, incredibly helpful insight and advice. Thanks.

Also, I will state for the record that had I come across this thread prior to the Marathon registration date--YES, I would have faux early registered on that runDisney deferral link.
Frank

Basically what others have said:

1) Run during cooler times (usually before sunrise)
2) Stay hydrated. Definitely stay on top of water and electrolyte consumption before, during, and after runs.
3) Wear breathable, light colored clothing - shorts, tech-style shirts, maybe a hat, etc
4) If time permits, when you arrive in FL or CA for your rD races, try to get a few runs in to acclimate yourself.
5) Run based on feeling vs. pace. It may not be what you desired but you'll feeling better.
6) If need be, run inside.

I'm arriving on New Years Day and staying until the 18th

Oh geez, I cannot even articulate how jealous I am of you right now! Will you adopt me?
We are staying the 6th-10th at Contemporary's Bay Lake Tower. Leaving shortly after cheering for our full marathon runners. Shorter trip than usual, but trading length of stay for nicer and more $$$ accomodations. Once my toddler becomes a big kid we will stay longer.

Question about the Expo.
We are planning on flying in on Wed. morning arriving around 10ish Florida time. So thinking 11ish check in at the Contemporary BLT. If we grab lunch and do a couple Fast pass rides in the Magic Kingdom, how much time should we allow for our family (or just my Dad & I who are running) to head over to the Expo for packet pickup? We may both have one or two booths of interest to us to look at. I know we'll likely go to our hotel to get on a bus since our hotel is so close to the park.

My plan it to try to get an ADR for Chef Mickey's that night for dinner so everyone has a variety to eat before our 5k on Thursday, my kiddo can see Mickey & Friends right away, and we have a short trek back to our hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter