Marathon Weekend 2016

We have not decided yet. We have five going for our weekend so AoA is one we are looking at because of the two bathrooms. AKL and boardwalk are also on our list.

We still have not decided where we are staying. My wife now wants to stay at Coronado Springs, but I would prefer one of the Epcot Resorts. We have ruled out a few places, including the monorail resorts. My wife gets the final vote - my compromise to get her to go with me while I run in these races. She likes WDW, but we are also going in September and next April - this extra trip is pushing it with her.

That is funny! I am in the same boat and may end up going solo on this trip as we have another planned in April '16 and DL in the summer of '16. I had promised to wait a year after running this January, that lasted until February... Now we are booked at Pop but this will have to change if she is going to consider going. I think I pushed my luck too far this time.

We have four 40 year old women going, 3 runners and 1 cheerleader, and we've decided this trip is girls only - no husbands or kids - I haven't told my kids this yet. ;) It's going to be hard to decide where to stay between the 4 of us!

My wife and I will be running just the full and are currently booked in a studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House from the 7th - 16th. We may look to change resorts when our 7 month window opens up.

Since we will be eating our last three dinners before the race on Disney property, I am looking for advice on where to eat. Restaurants / meals on Disney property to get some carbs in.

For you veterans, do you have a go to place that you always eat at?

I'd recommend just eating where you can get something you like, that's not too heavy, and that you know your stomach can handle. You're better off having your carb loading at breakfast on Saturday than at dinner. That's why I try to eat at Kimonos the night before the full. Simple protein, simple carbs, and plenty of salt from the miso soup. I've also been known to skip eating out and just order pizza instead since my typical dinner on Thursday night before my Friday long runs is pizza and champagne or wine. YMMV. :)

I am of the old school pasta-the-night-before-the-long-run. We've had pre-race dinner at Trattoria al Forno for a nice dinner and Rain Forest Cafe for a more casual (and noisy) dinner.

It seems like most of the restaurants on property have an inert pasta dish on the menu. To me, 'inert' is the key word here. It's not the night to try the sausage, spicy pepper, and octopus in chili cream sauce.

For lunch, I've had good luck with ordering kid's meals spaghetti or mac and cheese (minus the cheese) at QS restaurants.

I also take bags of frozen pre-cooked pasta to snack on at various times. And then there's the liquid carb-loading...

I'd recommend just eating where you can get something you like, that's not too heavy, and that you know your stomach can handle. You're better off having your carb loading at breakfast on Saturday than at dinner.
Great advice - eating earlier in the day also helps you get to sleep better, which is crtical here since you have to get up so early in the morning for these races.

I've also been known to skip eating out and just order pizza instead since my typical dinner on Thursday night before my Friday long runs is pizza and champagne or wine. YMMV. :)
Pizza and champagne the night before a long run??? That is strong! :)

My wife and I will be running just the full and are currently booked in a studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House from the 7th - 16th. We may look to change resorts when our 7 month window opens up.

Since we will be eating our last three dinners before the race on Disney property, I am looking for advice on where to eat. Restaurants / meals on Disney property to get some carbs in.

For you veterans, do you have a go to place that you always eat at?

We've done three WDW weekends and our tradition is having Thursday evening meal at Tusker House at AK. I can't do the traditional fueling/carbo-load meal the night before a big run (half or more), I have to do it two nights before.

I've always enjoyed it because it was a buffet, quiet, and out-of-the way but I've read that they're turning it into a character dinner experience so the quiet will be gone. :)

That's our only "must do" dinner location. The others have been us just winging it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the responses. I ran the marathon in 2014 but did not really do any research on fueling and nutrition. I just sort of "winged it". I was vaguely aware of something called "carb loading" so we ate at Cafe D'Antonio (Italian restaurant in Celebration) the night before. Now that my wife has started running we have started to research proper fueling / nutrition for running and it seems that carb loading the night before probably doesn't help much anyway. I realize that everyone is different and we will have to figure out what works for us during our training.

I like the idea of eating a larger meal for breakfast on Saturday and a lighter meal at night.

When I ran it in 2014 I also had a bagel with peanut butter and a banana before the race. Like I said, I really didn't put much thought into it. I just loaded my pouch with cherry honey stinger chews and off I went.

Hello, I am considering running either the marathon or Goofy in 2016. I am late to the party so I would need to get Goofy through a travel provider. My question, if anyone can answer it is, are the rates available for rooms through RunDisney yet?

If anyone is interested, or knows anyone who is, there are 2016 10k, full marathon (although still available through runDisney), Goofy and Dopey entries still available with a charity organization called Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy. Their link is on the runDisney's Marathon Weekend registration page where the charities are listed. There are perks for runners as well such as resort and park ticket discounts, special party, shirts, etc. Sometimes the "donations" would be as much as a travel provider would charge while doing something great for a great cause. Just an option for any runners still looking for bibs. :)

I need some advice. I am looking for a new running belt for my longer runs. I need one that can hold phone, id, water, and gu/chews. I was thinking about the fitletic ultimate plus add on water bottles. What is everyone's thoughts? I have tried running with the bottle in my hand but I tend to grip it to tight and my arm is sore afterwards. Thanks

I need some advice. I am looking for a new running belt for my longer runs. I need one that can hold phone, id, water, and gu/chews. I was thinking about the fitletic ultimate plus add on water bottles. What is everyone's thoughts? I have tried running with the bottle in my hand but I tend to grip it to tight and my arm is sore afterwards. Thanks
Another option you might consider is running loops. On my longer runs I do it in 5 mile loops and stash a bottle and gu gels on my front porch. That way the only thing I'm carrying is my phone.

Another option you might consider is running loops. On my longer runs I do it in 5 mile loops and stash a bottle and gu gels on my front porch. That way the only thing I'm carrying is my phone.
I like that! I also drive my car to a trailhead where I can do various out-and-backs and store the water/Gatorade in my backseat or trunk. I carry the car key in my shorts zipper pocket and make short 30 second stops for hydration. I carry gels in a FuelBelt Gel Ready Race Number belt which also replaces those stupid safety pins on race day. I simply punch holes in the middle of the bib and attach it to the belt. Works great!

For me, it's just too much of a pain to carry liquids around during training especially when you don't do that in the actual race. As an employee of a local running store said to me, "that's why you pay the race entrance fee, let them do the work!"

I have the older version of this model (http://www.rei.com/product/883561/amphipod-runlite-xtech-4-plus-hydration-belt) its pouch is a little small for what you are looking for though but this version (http://www.rei.com/product/813463/a...stretch-velocity-hydration-waistpack-20-fl-oz) seems like it might work for you

For me, it's just too much of a pain to carry liquids around during training especially when you don't do that in the actual race. As an employee of a local running store said to me, "that's why you pay the race entrance fee, let them do the work!"

I actually like to bring my belt with me to races, since I like to drink about every mile (my mouth tends to get a little dry when I run) and very few races have water stops every mile, plus im already used to running with it since I do it almost every run anyway (hydration is must during the summer in the south). Although if I do shorter runs at my local parks I will usually just stash a bottle at my car and stop as I go by

For hydration during runs, I don't drink at all unless I run 8 miles or more in the heat (10 miles or more when it is cool outside). When I plan on drinking during my longer runs, I wear a Camelbak backpack. They are awesome and can hold as much as 70 oz of liquid, which will get me through a 30 mile run in the summer heat. Hands free, and you don't even notice it on your back after the first few minutes.

415KagShZiL._SY450_.jpg

Like others, I don't really carry fluids. I will carry a single 9 oz bottle on my Nathan belt along with GUs for runs 10 miles or longer. But for anything shorter, I just properly hydrate before.

One thing I plan on experimenting with is a belt similar to one Neoflynn posted (large single bottle). Mostly to use during hot and humid runs. Nothing worst than feeling dizzy or lightheaded halfway through an 8miler!

I do use the loop method as well. I have various length loops around me so I can store all my GUs, Gatorade, water, etc in my truck and not have carry all that stuff with me. The loop method also helps to replicate water station stops for up coming races.

I learned something about myself today. I tend to over stride and heel strike slightly. When I'm out running I don't notice it and for the most part feel like I'm landing more mid foot and under my center mass. I videoed myself in slow motion and that's when I noticed my bad form. As part of I guess you could call it "my training before training starts". I'm trying to streamline my form and make myself more efficient I've added a metronome to ensure my cadence and form tighten up. Has anyone else done anything weird like this. By the way don't video yourself unless your ready to see bad things. I over stride, heel strike, tight shoulders, and slouch.

I learned something about myself today. I tend to over stride and heel strike slightly. When I'm out running I don't notice it and for the most part feel like I'm landing more mid foot and under my center mass. I videoed myself in slow motion and that's when I noticed my bad form. As part of I guess you could call it "my training before training starts". I'm trying to streamline my form and make myself more efficient I've added a metronome to ensure my cadence and form tighten up. Has anyone else done anything weird like this. By the way don't video yourself unless your ready to see bad things. I over stride, heel strike, tight shoulders, and slouch.
Never taped myself, but I do form drills every week - sometimes before runs and sometimes after. Also, when I get tired late in a run, I focus on my form instead of speed.

With good form comes improved speed. If you land midfoot with your weight under your body and push off with every stride, you propel yourself along the face of the planet instead of just moving along it - and if your form is correct, you will not "brake" when landing. When I figured this out, I got faster - without increasing leg turnover. I am not sure how to teach others, though. I just know when it "feels right" for me.

As for cadence - I strive for 180 strides per minute. I pick music to get me there. I want to get the new Garmin 620 with the advanced training features because the next thing that I want to work on is my foot strike time. The longer that your foot stays on the ground, the more effort that it takes to run. At my age it really isn't about getting faster, but about running more efficiently.

I wish I had taken the time to learn this stuff decades ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter