Marathon Weekend 2016

How's training this weekend everyone?
Thumbs up on my 10K/Marathon simulation! Did 4.5 on the treadmill Thurs. thanks to thunderstorms, then my first 19+ miles on Sat. It was still insanely warm and humid here in FL, but it stayed overcast the whole 19 miles - thank goodness because if I'd added full sun into the mix, I'd have been toast! As it was I had to slow down a lot a few times to avoid overheating, went through more than 120oz of fluids, and literally cried with relief when it began pouring rain during mile 19, lol! Happy to report no injuries, no bonking, no issues beyond the heat at all. I feel READY! :thumbsup2

I bought a pair of kinvaras hoping to use for speed work and the marathon, but after 18 miles (3 6-mile runs) I had to retire them because I got a blister on back of foot. Never happened with other shoes. Tying with a heel/lace lock wouldn't help. I really wanted to like the kinvaras because they are comfortable, but blisters are no fun.
I absolutely love the overall feel of Kinvaras, but find that they do some weird rubbing things, too. I can't get the heel to fit right, either, and the inside of the toe box upper is kind of lumpy/bumpy. I'm good for short runs, but can't do far in them. Good thing they were cheap, lol! I looove them for general everyday wear, though.

Does anyone else find it tough to find more places to run on these long runs? I want to stay somewhat close to home in case anything ever happened but I am running out of neighborhoods, and some streets I'm doing 2 or 3 times. It gets boring!
:crazy:
I'm really lucky: I have 3 beautiful parks within 2 miles of home, plus blocks and blocks of quiet residential neighborhoods surrounding them, so I kind of circle the whole area in various configurations with loops into the parks to refill my water bottle. With these increasingly longer runs I've been ducking down new-to-me streets and finding pretty "new" neighborhoods, which is fun!

I usually run my halfs and fulls in the boston Boost which is the same shoe I was for speedwork and tempos. I do my long and relaxed runs in energy boosts which are about 1.5 oz's heavier but have the same 9mm drop.
I the a5s are working for you I don't know that i'd change it up. I actually did my speedwork in A5s for a while at the recommendation of a running coach, but I found I liked a little more cusion than what they provide. Have you ever worn the A5's on a 16 or 16+ long run? How did you feel after that?

Thanks for your response as always.

Regarding the A5's, I've barely worn them outside of actual races. I wore them on the track a couple times and then for a couple quicker training runs. But honestly they are just very comfortable fast/light shoes with 4mm drop. Very different than what I've trained in, but have loved them to race in. But have probably done almost 20 races in them including 3 halves, 3 10-milers, and a number of 10/5ks. I have another pair of flats I bought (Saucony Fastwitch) that are just a tad heavier, and maybe offer a bit of stability. They aren't quite as comfortable as the A5s, but they are great and would offer a little bit more support vs. the A5s. They are also 4mm drop, so definitely designed for racing and not so much just training. I ran with the fastwitch in my most recent half marathon and really liked them. Others had told me a flat was fine for a marathon and sticking with the a5 since I've done so much in it... but I wasn't sure about all the way to 26.2... so the Fastwitch seemed like a little more substance for that distance. I'm comfortable in either of those or my Brooks Launch trainers (9.5mm drop). But I didn't want to go with a racing flat if people on here told me that was nuts.

I don't believe I'll have trouble running for 26.2 in the flats. The trainers may make park touring/recovery a little easier though. That's at least my hesitation on definitely racing the full in the flats. I've been fine during and after the halves, but going twice that distance might cause some extra banging that I could pay for a couple days later.

Hi guys, been lurking on this thread for a few months now but decided to sign up! I'm from the UK and doing Dopey in jan - its my first RunDisney event (and marathon but shhh) and I am beyond excited!! I've been to Disney loads of times and yet only last year found out about RunDisney - which just happened to coincide with me taking running up again! I've been following HH plan and its been going well except for the last week where I think I've developed some IT band issues and was wanting to ask if anyone had any luck with cortisone injection? Going to head to docs sometime this/next week and see what they advise but I'm just a bit worried about how little time we have to Jan! I originally planned on running the marathon and see how well I do, but I think finishing the marathon is my only plan now!

Also, is it normal to be like-a-child-before-xmas excited for a race weekend?? Think I'm driving my poor family crazy!

Hi guys, been lurking on this thread for a few months now but decided to sign up! I'm from the UK and doing Dopey in jan - its my first RunDisney event (and marathon but shhh) and I am beyond excited!! I've been to Disney loads of times and yet only last year found out about RunDisney - which just happened to coincide with me taking running up again! I've been following HH plan and its been going well except for the last week where I think I've developed some IT band issues and was wanting to ask if anyone had any luck with cortisone injection? Going to head to docs sometime this/next week and see what they advise but I'm just a bit worried about how little time we have to Jan! I originally planned on running the marathon and see how well I do, but I think finishing the marathon is my only plan now!

Also, is it normal to be like-a-child-before-xmas excited for a race weekend?? Think I'm driving my poor family crazy!

So awesome that you've signed up, it's also my first RunDisney event! I can't speak to the cortisone injection at all but wish you a speedy recovery. It's VERY normal to be so excited, we're almost 6 weeks out and I'm driving my friends and family crazy. I honestly think they're happiest when I'm out running and they get some peace :). For a first marathon, I always think finishing is the best (and only) plan to have. By the time WDW full comes, it'll be my 3rd marathon. From personal experience, only recommendation I have is to train as much as you can to accomplish the distance.

Look forward to running with you on the 9th & 10th :)

The cortisone shot does not fix the problem, it only numbs the pain. This allows you to continue running, but odds are the pain will return. The big question is, how much worse are you making it by running without feeling the pain? If this was 1-2 weeks before race day, I would maybe think about it, but this far out, you will be back to the Dr. for another one. You should try every other option first, and then I would still think really hard about taking the shot. Injury's sucks, but we are just amateurs running for personal reasons/fun and not a income. It's not worth causing a major injury that could result in surgery down the road.

Does anyone else find it tough to find more places to run on these long runs? I want to stay somewhat close to home in case anything ever happened but I am running out of neighborhoods, and some streets I'm doing 2 or 3 times. It gets boring!
:crazy:
There are a couple of tools that you can use to come up with new routes. You can use the strava app to look for local routes. You can use gmap-pedometer to map and measure routes online to figure out where you need to go. I would also look for Greenways and trails nearby. If you have a local running store they might be able to point you to Greenway maps.

The cortisone shot does not fix the problem, it only numbs the pain.

The shot was just going to be a last ditch attempt before the weekend in Jan, not now. But I understand where you are coming from and you're right about long term injury/surgery - just frustrating that I've been training for this since March with no problems to report! I'm going to see how I am in the next few weeks, I'm still able to run I just don't want to aggravate it further but also don't want to loose fitness, first world runners problem. Really appreciate the advice though, I've always been active and have never really got injured (apart from a few broken fingers) so this has really hit me for ten, especially as we're into the last 50 days (woop woop). I'm just thinking worst case scenario.

On a lighter note I'm staying at All Star Music and its my first time staying on disney property since 1997! Think a bit might of changed since then...

The shot was just going to be a last ditch attempt before the weekend in Jan, not now. But I understand where you are coming from and you're right about long term injury/surgery - just frustrating that I've been training for this since March with no problems to report! I'm going to see how I am in the next few weeks, I'm still able to run I just don't want to aggravate it further but also don't want to loose fitness, first world runners problem. Really appreciate the advice though, I've always been active and have never really got injured (apart from a few broken fingers) so this has really hit me for ten, especially as we're into the last 50 days (woop woop). I'm just thinking worst case scenario.

On a lighter note I'm staying at All Star Music and its my first time staying on disney property since 1997! Think a bit might of changed since then...

I'm having to take time off right now for an injury (not sure what & how it came about) & it sucks as yes been training all year, but I figure better to go in undertrained some & healthy than trained & hurt as I want to enjoy the races even if I have to go slower &/or walk some! I'm staying at All-Star Sports, stayed at Movies a long time ago, so it will be new for me too. Heard they don't share buses anymore so guess we'll see as that would be nice!

I'm staying at All-Star Sports, stayed at Movies a long time ago, so it will be new for me too. Heard they don't share buses anymore so guess we'll see as that would be nice!

For the races they do, and occasionally they'll share buses to the parks, but not always. They may also share buses for Disney Springs, I don't remember. But I stayed at All Star Sports last year and never had any bus problems, even on the rare occasions when they shared buses.

This is true. What you CAN do is pre-order, then get in line to return and re-purchase your bag, using your discount. So you get the AP discount that way, but you wouldn't get the Active.com fees back.

I will remember this for dark side weekend :)

No experience with the shot, but, I had IT problems that really wrecked my training. I didn't have them until I started getting into higher miles and then it was a disaster. It was partially because I was running further, and partially because when I started that, my cross-training started dropping off because I was putting so much more time into the runs. What did work, was 1) doing leg strengthening excerises. Even just a few sets a few days a week (or I did mine before each of my shorter mid-week runs) and little things like climbing the stairs at work instead of the elevator will help. And my favorite- 2) an IT band strap. Little guy works WONDERS. I have the one below, but any running store will have them for $20 or less. I bought this and my first mid-week run I was able to get through it with much less pain. My second run, I had no issues. I did take about a week off before buying the strap to let the inflammation go down too. But I can't say enough good things about it. I thought there was no way something so little could help, but I haven't had IT issues since.

http://www.braceshop.com/pro-tec-it...v9FceBSuIi2CF50t5_aHdqBrrWoodmFhD0aAiNX8P8HAQ

I'm dealing with some sort of a cold, but nothing major. I only cough when I stop running, so I'm motivated to keep going and just cough up my lungs at the end of the run. Hope you feel better soon. The rule I have been told when it comes to running with a cold is, if its above the neck = run, below = reduce miles/intensity or no running. Drink lots of OJ and if you have to skip a run, make it a shorter distance, if you need a extra day of rest because you feel bad, do so. Do not skip the long run.

sammykster, feel better! And I felt the same at W&D. I wasn't the least bit worried about doing the half and while I was bummed the course got shortened, I can't say I wasn't happy going from mile 2 to 8. That was tough that night! I agree the weather affected me and I think the mental state too. So now thinking 4 times that...UGH! But after doing 18 this weekend, and surviving it I'm building some confidence. Once you recover and do some long runs, I'm sure you will feel better too! Hang in there!

Thanks guys! I'm also hoping after 17 this upcoming weekend my lungs will be doing better and I'll feel much more confident! such a bummer after having such good momentum. I did complete two other halfs in the last few months though so at least I know I have it in me to go some of the distance lol.

Stretching & strengthening are much better approaches to resolve an ITB injury than a shot. ITB problems are essentially a functional stability issue. Lazy glutes / tight hip flexors are the root causes. Get your butt doing some work, lengthen the hammies, and ensure the hip flexors are doing what they should and you won't have any problems ;-)

Here is a good yoga class you can use if you can't find one near you.

https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-stretch-class-it-band

Glad to see everyone's progress. Keep up the great work!

Unfortunately I injured my left foot on my 9 miler on Saturday, 11/14 - yeah, 9 days ago. Thought that it was minor since I was able to complete the run so just skipped my Sunday run and went on my cruise/WDW anniversary vacation with my wife. Because I have been out of town I have not seen a doctor. I am going tomorrow because the pain has worsened. I have not been able to run at all, and walking is very painful right now.

I'll see what is wrong tomorrow.

Sigh...

Unfortunately I injured my left foot on my 9 miler on Saturday, 11/14 - yeah, 9 days ago. Thought that it was minor since I was able to complete the run so just skipped my Sunday run and went on my cruise/WDW anniversary vacation with my wife. Because I have been out of town I have not seen a doctor. I am going tomorrow because the pain has worsened. I have not been able to run at all, and walking is very painful right now.

Sigh...

Ouch. I hope it's nothing too major and you can be back to running soon. I'll definitely be thinking good thoughts for you and hoping you have a speedy recovery!

Sigh...

Wishing you the best!

Sigh...

I hope the doctor has good news to report. I also hope you had a great time on your anniversary trip!!!

Sigh...

Sorry to hear that. I hope the Dr will have good news for you and you are able to get back to it soon.

Welcome! You picked a perfect first marathon race, and added Dopey too! Awesome. Good luck with the rest of your training, we have just over a month to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter