Marathon Weekend 2016

I swear, if you are a Peckers fan then I'm leaving this board.

Check out my journal in my URL...I ran a 5k dressed like Mike Ditka on Saturday. I bleed blue and orange even if it really isn't good for my health. My father-in-law however is a Packers fan and is trying to brainwash my daughter but that is another story.
I like cheese...just not in my football.

Btw, speaking of the Chicago marathon, apparently a few years ago they measured wrong and the marathon was 27.2 miles. Lots of people were pissed because of the BQ times were screwed...I kind of like the idea of 27.2....I want that sticker and have it say beneath "I go the Extra mile."

Btw, speaking of the Chicago marathon, apparently a few years ago they measured wrong and the marathon was 27.2 miles. Lots of people were pissed because of the BQ times were screwed...I kind of like the idea of 27.2....I want that sticker and have it say beneath "I go the Extra mile."

That was the Lakeshore Marathon in 2005, not the official Chicago Marathon. Only 500-600 participants, but still a really bad mess-up.

I'm always of the mindset to run fast in the beginning to bank some minutes and then I can have reserve time in the end, but apparently this is a big no-no for runners. They always tout negative splits, so I would run at slightly slower pace for a few miles, before hopefully speeding up. I've never run a full so advice is pointless.
Yeah I know you are supposed to run negative splits, but I've never been good at that. Goal pace is usually pushing it for me so the idea of accelerating after mile 20 isn't really that appealing. I'm more likely to start off slow then ease up than to start off slow and speed up.

Enjoy Chicago! That was the first one I did two years ago and it was perfect. Great weather, 1 million+ enthusiastic spectators, fun neighborhoods to run through and excellent support stations. You'll do great and love it.
It's been one of my bucket list races. I am super excited that our whole group got in. 2 of us did NY together last year. I think this sounds like an easier run.

I raced like the opposite of the Chicago marathon on Saturday doing the Ditka Dash in 30mph winds and wearing a fake mustache (there's pics in my journal if anyone wants to see how "cool" I looked), so I have no advise for @IamTrike but I will say that I hope you have an awesome time in my home city. I really wanted to volunteer for the Chicago marathon since I'm not ready for that distance, but it didn't work out with my schedule. So my goal is to volunteer next year and maybe one day actually run it. I was hoping for the sweet volunteer jacket too.

Wow, looks like you had a really great run. I'll be very happy if you can ask them to NOT have 30mph winds next week.

If you have a good pace then can you really dodge the bullets?
Hey! those are motivational bullets. They are way more effective than a sign at making people run faster.

My suggestion is to start with the pace group. They are typically really good (accurate) at Chicago. For a marathon, I agree with Z-Knight's approach, run your race as planned until you can't (which sometimes happens in marathons).

I like to split the marathon into "equal" halves: 1) the first 20 miles, and 2) the last 6.2 miles. Set your cruise control and stick to planned pace (adjusted for any special weather conditions) during the first half, then survive the second half at the best possible pace (which may be all over the place).

Sounds like there will be at least three of you running together... so there is a high likelihood that not all of you have the same type of day (good/neutral/bad). You should decide ahead of time if you will split up, or if everyone is slowing down together.

Have fun!

We are definitely going to start with a pace group. Right now the decision is which one to start with. I've spent the last 18 weeks training to hit a specific pace. I managed to best the pace set for all of my speed workouts and most of my tempo runs. I ran Disneyland half as a test. Based on my current training plan it said I should be able to complete a half in x time or a full in y time. I beat the half time by 2 minutes, while setting my 10K PR the day before and then beating that by a minute during the Half marathon. Of my group I am the weakest runner. One guy has been doing most of his tempo runs 45 second to a minute per mile faster than the goal pace and the other is close to that. This is all to say I think we're all more than adaquately trained for our goal pace. That being said one of the guys (the faster one) actually wants to start out in a slower pace group to ensure that it's a relaxed marathon. ( I think he might also be thinking it will ensure I don't bonk) I'm more concerned that he will want to make up time midway through the race and that will hurt worse than if we just maintained a consistent pace.

At this point I'm sure it's just me overthinking everthing. I am just ready for the race to be here.

There are 3 of us running together. We will all stay together. We've all done marathons together before and all had to stop when someone else was struggling. My biggest regret is leaving a friend who decided to walk as we past mexico in WS during the full at Disney in order to make a time goal.

One of our local half's set their course up wrong a couple years back. Someone put the cones for the turn around about .2 of a mile past where they were supposed to be. I can't imagine being off by a full mile.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171111622557?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

I'm always of the mindset to run fast in the beginning to bank some minutes and then I can have reserve time in the end, but apparently this is a big no-no for runners. They always tout negative splits, so I would run at slightly slower pace for a few miles, before hopefully speeding up. I've never run a full so advice is pointless.
This absolutely works, but you have to practice it so you believe in it.

Was it the Harwich Cranberry Half? I keep wanting to do that one but it never lines up well with my schedule. What part of the state do you live in?

Yes it was. He said it was a great race. Weather was perfect, there were some hills but not too bad according to him.

I live in Webster, MA. Where are you?

So there are a number of New England runners posting here... I live on the North Shore, and I'm running the Harborside Half in Newburyport in November. Anyone else?

Harwich here! Cape Cod!

Hadn't signed up for this... Might have to check dates against my call schedule!!

Last edited:
Yeah I know you are supposed to run negative splits, but I've never been good at that. Goal pace is usually pushing it for me so the idea of accelerating after mile 20 isn't really that appealing. I'm more likely to start off slow then ease up than to start off slow and speed up.

Your best bet is to stay at a steady and constant pace the entire race. Your race pace should feel very easy for the first 13-16 miles. You really shouldn't be putting in too much effort at this point because if you are, you're probably not going to make it. From 16-22, you should definitely be working harder, upping your effort, but not killing yourself yet. Once you get to 22 or so, you just need to hold on for dear life and give it everything you've got.

So a little update on yesterday I decided that not putting any time pressure on myself was the way to go and it worked out very well. Even though this was probably the hilliest course I Have ever run I did manage to knock about 30 seconds off my PR. This gives me a lot of confidence that I can maybe break 2 hours by years end even though it wont count for PoT. I have learned that not setting time goals is definitely the way I need to go in the future...

My biggest regret is leaving a friend who decided to walk as we past mexico in WS during the full at Disney in order to make a time goal.
If that's your biggest regret you are doing some clean living!

A race is a little like Titanic that close to the end. Every once in a while you have to be Kate Winslet and watch poor Leo slip off the floaty. No reason for both of you to go down (unless, of course, pre-race promises have been made).

A race is a little like Titanic that close to the end. Every once in a while you have to be Kate Winslet and watch poor Leo slip off the floaty. No reason for both of you to go down (unless, of course, pre-race promises have been made).

Well said. It's very important to have the conversation about staying together or leaving each other to fend for themselves before the race. When one person is struggling at mile 20 is not the time to bring up the question. And you're right, sometimes you do have to go on, as difficult as it may be. We had to leave one of our friends during Comrades two years in a row because we felt that if we stayed with her, none of us would make the cutoff time. It's a hard thing to do, but she knew it had to be done. Thankfully, she did manage to get going again this year and finished under the 12-hour mark.

Your best bet is to stay at a steady and constant pace the entire race. Your race pace should feel very easy for the first 13-16 miles. You really shouldn't be putting in too much effort at this point because if you are, you're probably not going to make it. From 16-22, you should definitely be working harder, upping your effort, but not killing yourself yet. Once you get to 22 or so, you just need to hold on for dear life and give it everything you've got.
The old saw is that a marathon is a 10k race with a 20 mile warmup. I know for me it's all fun and games until I hit the 20 mile mark, then nothing but business from then on. "Hold on for dear life"... that's the last 5k for sure.

That's been my strategy for most of my races up to this point. I think where I struggle is in know what pace is really the right pace to start at. With all the adrenaline flowing it's easier for me to think I am running without much effort and still be at a pace I can't sustain. The negative split idea is something our group has talked about for this race, but I think it likely means a much lower chance of hitting my goal time.

So a little update on yesterday I decided that not putting any time pressure on myself was the way to go and it worked out very well. Even though this was probably the hilliest course I Have ever run I did manage to knock about 30 seconds off my PR. This gives me a lot of confidence that I can maybe break 2 hours by years end even though it wont count for PoT. I have learned that not setting time goals is definitely the way I need to go in the future...

Awesome. Congratulations on the PR

If that's your biggest regret you are doing some clean living!

That's my biggest regret in a race. It's not that I have a problem with dropping people during a race if they want to be dropped. We dropped someone in ESPN during that race because he wanted to be left. He was hurting and us being with him made him pressure himself into running more than he felt he could.

The reason that dropping that guy in mexico is such a big regret is because we ran 25.7 miles together or so and I left him at the end in order to break 4:30. It wasn't a PR for me and had I waited with him I would have finished in under 4:31. I had set a goal in my head that I was using to motivate me during the last couple miles and I chose that arbitrary goal over a friend. If it was a difference between getting swept or not swept I can see leaving someone, I can also understand it if you were going for a PR or BQ or If staying with that person is bothering them. However, in this situation it was none of those things.

At this point for me Disney is just a time to go out and have fun so in general my bias is to spend time enjoying the race with friends rather than pushing for a faster finish.

Well said. It's very important to have the conversation about staying together or leaving each other to fend for themselves before the race. When one person is struggling at mile 20 is not the time to bring up the question. And you're right, sometimes you do have to go on, as difficult as it may be. We had to leave one of our friends during Comrades two years in a row because we felt that if we stayed with her, none of us would make the cutoff time. It's a hard thing to do, but she knew it had to be done. Thankfully, she did manage to get going again this year and finished under the 12-hour mark.

The conversation I've been having this year is the converse of that. This will be the first marathon, first goofy and first Disney race for one of the guys in our group. I've been trying to encourage him that we've all been in his shoes and that we want him to set the pace. We want to make sure that he doesn't push himself too hard and miss out on all the cool stuff the race offers.

The conversation I've been having this year is the converse of that. This will be the first marathon, first goofy and first Disney race for one of the guys in our group. I've been trying to encourage him that we've all been in his shoes and that we want him to set the pace. We want to make sure that he doesn't push himself too hard and miss out on all the cool stuff the race offers.

I assume you mean you want him to determine in advance at what pace you guys will run the full. It's not really fair to a first-time marathoner to ask him to actually set the pace while you're running. I'd encourage him to tuck in next to or behind one of the more experienced people so there's one less thing for him to stress over while running. "Look around, follow me, keep talking, and you'll be just fine," is what I'd want to tell him.

I assume you mean you want him to determine in advance at what pace you guys will run the full. It's not really fair to a first-time marathoner to ask him to actually set the pace while you're running. I'd encourage him to tuck in next to or behind one of the more experienced people so there's one less thing for him to stress over while running. "Look around, follow me, keep talking, and you'll be just fine," is what I'd want to tell him.

It probably won't just be in advance. He's done a lot of halfs but I'm not sure he's gonna know how he's gonna be feeling on race day until he's actually there. I want him to be comfortable saying I thought I wanted to run at this pace but I'm not feeling it can we slow down. So I'm not expecting him to get out and front and set the pace and lead the run. I am hoping that he'll be comfortable enough to say "slow down".

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. But the reality is that the best runners in the world all run negative splits in marathons - in training and in their races. Here is an article that talks about it, but I encourage anyone that wants to improve their long distance race times to do some research. You really do have to practice this for it to work, but it works.

The worst strategy to produce a PR is to "bank time". Running faster in the first half of any race than you are prepared to run the entire distance hurts far more than it helps and can cause a death march finish.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-t...-strategy-for-the-marathon-and-half-marathon/

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. But the reality is that the best runners in the world all run negative splits in marathons - in training and in their races. Here is an article that talks about it, but I encourage anyone that wants to improve their long distance race times to do some research. You really do have to practice this for it to work, but it works.

The worst strategy to produce a PR is to "bank time". Running faster in the first half of any race than you are prepared to run the entire distance hurts far more than it helps and can cause a death march finish.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-t...-strategy-for-the-marathon-and-half-marathon/

I agree with the above and I am working on making that happen. Yesterday I did a 9 miler with the first mile at 8:30 and finished with a 7:32 mile. I should also add the workout was to run the last 5 at HMRP. In the end, it is helping me run faster towards the end of my runs which is the goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter