• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2016

It's that time again. September Monthly Miles... What you got?

Run Total = 158.2 Miles
Bike Total = 18.21 Miles
Swim = 0

Hope everyone had a good month and good luck in October!

Run = 78.2 Miles
Bike = 36.6 Miles
Swim = Um ... does floating around in the pool count?

Not a real great September for Ole Keels.

It's always sort of 'amusing' to see full marathon times posted which are about my half pace... :crazy2:

We did PR our half last weekend though, by 9 minutes! 2:36 :yay: We knew this was a fast race, so our specific goal was a good Disney POT finish. No photos, no potty stops, no casually walking through the support stations while sipping your water... Could have been faster if the sun hadn't been so brutal. Where is fall, anyway?

Run = 115 miles plus 26.2 for the Clarence DeMar Marathon last Sunday. PR'd by 11 minutes to 3:41, hoping that will get me the D corral for the Goofy. Did anyone else squeeze in a qualifying time?

Congrats on the PR! That is a very nice time and even nicer to PR by 11 minutes!

It's always sort of 'amusing' to see full marathon times posted which are about my half pace... :crazy2:

We did PR our half last weekend though, by 9 minutes! 2:36 :yay: We knew this was a fast race, so our specific goal was a good Disney POT finish. No photos, no potty stops, no casually walking through the support stations while sipping your water... Could have been faster if the sun hadn't been so brutal. Where is fall, anyway?
Congrats on the 9 minute PR. That is a big time makeup for a half!

The great thing about running is there is always someone faster than you, and someone slower than you. It's all about personal goals and runners are so supportive of each other. Last night I wore my marathon shirt at a 5k fun run and before the race another runner congratulated me and asked me a bunch of questions about my race. I later learned he had won a half marathon the same day I ran the marathon, finishing in some crazy sub 1:20 time. He never mentioned it but only made me feel great about my own race... Congratulations on your own PR and good luck at Disney!

Last year we just happened to be at disney world for a week beginning with marathon weekend. We arrived after the half, but chose the studios as our first full day on Sunday. Watching runners coming out of the park while we waited for park opening got me thinking that I needed to return in 2016 to run it... (It'll be my first). Anyways, we went straight to RnR and were on the first train... Along with a race participant. We let him get in the front seat. It was really cool to see a runner get there just in time to ride RnR with the first group.

That's really cool. I used the restroom in Hollywood Studios. That's about the only way I get to take advantage of the parks when I'm running.

Boston is a hard one to get onto this year with the cutoff being a BQ -2:28. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues. If I had run 2 minutes lower than my required time, I would have felt very confident about getting in. I guess whenever I start getting close to those paces, I should just go for a BQ -5:00. One day....

I think with more people running every year it likely will. I'm waiting for my BQ time to increase 10 minutes in 4 years. Looking at these stats the increases in BQ time could completely negate that before I get there.

Run Total = 158.2 Miles
Bike Total = 18.21 Miles
Swim = 0

Hope everyone had a good month and good luck in October!

We spent 8 days on vacation last month which cut into my running time. I wound up missing about 30 miles from my training plan. We did spend about a week at disney and I average more than 11 miles a day walking while we were there but those numbers are in this total.
Run Total = 177.4 Miles

Run = 115 miles plus 26.2 for the Clarence DeMar Marathon last Sunday. PR'd by 11 minutes to 3:41, hoping that will get me the D corral for the Goofy. Did anyone else squeeze in a qualifying time?
11 minutes is a nice drop at that pace.

Congratulations 9 minutes is a lot to shave off in a half marathon.

hmmm seeing other's monthly mileage, maybe I should start keep tracking of mileage. Do you all keep track via your garmins/apps or just old notebooks or Excel, I only use Runkeeper somtimes? I used to in High School on a notebook then a few months ago I tried in Excel and then didn't get far.

Run = 29 miles
Bike = 217 miles
Swim = 4 miles

This race is coming up way too fast

hmmm seeing other's monthly mileage, maybe I should start keep tracking of mileage. Do you all keep track via your garmins/apps or just old notebooks or Excel? I used to in High School on a notebook then a few months ago I tried in Excel and then didn't get far.

I use Training Peaks with my coach, and Daily Mile with friends. Everything ends up on Garmin Connect too because that's how it gets to the other sites. Each workout uploads automatically when I'm finished with it.

50.08 miles
Not bad ... but October will likely be less because of my schedule

hmmm seeing other's monthly mileage, maybe I should start keep tracking of mileage. Do you all keep track via your garmins/apps or just old notebooks or Excel? I used to in High School on a notebook then a few months ago I tried in Excel and then didn't get far.

Both. I usually set a monthly goal on my Garmin and use that to track my miles.
But, since I'm neurotic, I also do it in Excel. Plus, I have a spreadsheet where I track my shoe mileage, so I can use that to add up the month's mileage.
Basically, I'm the queen of redundancies.

hmmm seeing other's monthly mileage, maybe I should start keep tracking of mileage. Do you all keep track via your garmins/apps or just old notebooks or Excel, I only use Runkeeper somtimes? I used to in High School on a notebook then a few months ago I tried in Excel and then didn't get far.
I sort of laid out a calendar in Google Drive (their Sheets/Excel area). This way I can add to it either on my desktop at work or on my phone using the app. :)

31.5 miles for me. But I scheduled three 5ks in a row on the weekends so that's going to cut down on mileage. BUT I should have tracked my walking because I did so much walking this month just in life.
But I had two PRs in Sept. 29:56 and then 28:50 (happy dance!)

I'm thinking about starting a 5k to 10k plan this month guys!!! Stepping up to the big leagues. How soon before I'm signing up for a marathon too???

31.5 miles for me. But I scheduled three 5ks in a row on the weekends so that's going to cut down on mileage. BUT I should have tracked my walking because I did so much walking this month just in life.
But I had two PRs in Sept. 29:56 and then 28:50 (happy dance!)

I'm thinking about starting a 5k to 10k plan this month guys!!! Stepping up to the big leagues. How soon before I'm signing up for a marathon too???
6 months, 12 tops. It's a slippery slope, really. :)

I was on vacation for 18 days and my wife wouldn't let me run more than 3 miles/day on vacation (yeah, I'm addicted to running and must be controlled :o).

I finished August with 79 miles, my lowest monthly total in a very long time. The good news, the short runs allowed me to maintain my conditioning - just building my endurance back up now.

I still use an excel spreadsheet and then upload it to google drive so i can access it from my phone. I've got about 3 years worth of runs on there so its cool to go back and compare a training week from say, a year ago. Also, i track mileage on my shoes as well. I'd be pretty bummed if I ever lost that bad boy.

Thank you! It looks like we are similar runners so maybe we'll run into each other on the WDW course. Your 10 mile PR is awesome! 4 minutes better than mine.

Training was going really well going into that 10 mile race, and I was very surprised by the results. Shortly following that race the injury bug got me and things did not really improve until I took some time off after my last marathon. You got me in the marathon distance, so we could cross paths on the course. Based on last years data and the projected finish time based off the 10 miler time I should be in Corral C... maybe better depending on the field.

I have my training plan on a excel sheet, but track everything on Garmin Connect. How do you track progress and plan out your runs?

I was on vacation for 18 days and my wife wouldn't let me run more than 3 miles/day on vacation (yeah, I'm addicted to running and must be controlled :o).

I finished August with 79 miles, my lowest monthly total in a very long time. The good news, the short runs allowed me to maintain my conditioning - just building my endurance back up now.

My wife asked when we are going to take a vacation that isn't centered around a running event...

Nice work everyone! Over the next 3 months we are all going to be putting in a lot of miles in preparation of our little running event in January. Good luck and stay injury free.

I still use an excel spreadsheet and then upload it to google drive so i can access it from my phone. I've got about 3 years worth of runs on there so its cool to go back and compare a training week from say, a year ago. Also, i track mileage on my shoes as well. I'd be pretty bummed if I ever lost that bad boy.
I do the same thing and have decades of run data on spreadsheets. As you said, it is nice to be able to look back for various reasons. I make comments when recovering from an injury or running in tough conditions so I can see what I have done in the past - what has helped and what has not.

I have my training plan on a excel sheet, but track everything on Garmin Connect. How do you track progress and plan out your runs?

In my head. Most my routes I've done for years to know the mileage or can easily add on a couple miles here and there. I don't technically ever plan a run out, it's more on feel in the day & time if that makes sense. Or I just run for time too. Progess I don't track, I mean I know my PRs for my full & current half, but it gets foggy for like 5ks & 10ks, I'm slower than I used to be so I just go with it. I've got Excel setup, let's see how long it lasts, as I really want to track my shoe mileage just out of curiousity, I can estimate it though roughly now anyway.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter