Marathon Weekend 2016

I've been looking around for the backdoor link and haven't had any luck just yet, but I'll post it as soon I can!

I'm 100% in for the full, but my husband is thinking about doing the 10K (he's not a fan of the half distance, but feels like he should do something since we'll be there).

We were actually at EPCOT for the finish of the full in 2014 and it was just so awesome. We actually talked about it last night, how he thought back to seeing the crowds and all the cheering and how much support there was at that race and that's why he decided to run some of these events along with me.

So, I'm guessing I'll do the 10K as well if he does. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Somebody's on the slippery slope to running the Dopey! :)

I am betting even with the larger field for the half, it will sell out in about 30 minutes. After the Wine and Dine nobody will take any chances. I got in the W&D using the AP link with my cell with no problems at 12:10. When I got back on the boards later I was not surprised to it sold out.

Even though rD races are selling out quickly, I doubt the half will sell out before the 2 hour mark. IMO W&D is a different bird than the other races. the DL Half didn't even sell out opening day and it had a smaller field and was the 10-year anniversary. Very surprising I must say.

If had to guess sell out times:

Full - Months
Goofy - Months
Dopey - ~2 hrs
Half - 3.5 hrs
10K - 1.5 hrs
5K - 1.5 hrs
Kids - Months

Again, just my $.02

Even though rD races are selling out quickly, I doubt the half will sell out before the 2 hour mark. IMO W&D is a different bird than the other races. the DL Half didn't even sell out opening day and it had a smaller field and was the 10-year anniversary. Very surprising I must say.

Full - Months
Goofy - Months
Dopey - ~2 hrs
Half - 3.5 hrs
10K - 1.5 hrs
5K - 1.5 hrs
Kids - Months

Again, just my $.02

I'm hoping you're right, alot of people are panicking this time round about getting signed up before events sell out!

I have no sense that these estimates are correct, or incorrect. But I do remember last year about this time the guesses that Goofy would sell out within an hour of opening because of the anniversary... and that one stayed open until the very end. Then there was the ridiculous whining over W&D registration so who knows where anything will land. Best advice, sign up at noon if you really want in.

Full - Months
Goofy - Months
Dopey - ~2 hrs
Half - 3.5 hrs
10K - 1.5 hrs
5K - 1.5 hrs
Kids - Months

Again, just my $.02

I have no sense that these estimates are correct, or incorrect. But I do remember last year about this time the guesses that Goofy would sell out within an hour of opening because of the anniversary... and that one stayed open until the very end. Then there was the ridiculous whining over W&D registration so who knows where anything will land. Best advice, sign up at noon if you really want in.

Ye that's the plan! Three of us will be at our computers ready to go!

Another newbie question here: is it possible to sign up for both the 10k and half at the same time if I'm ready at noon on the 28th? It sounds like everything goes really quickly so I wanted to ask.

Does Disney have any history of changing the number of spots for each event, particularly the Goofy/Dopey? My concern is that based on last year's experience they'll lower the amount of Goofy spots and it'll sell out a lot sooner.

Does Disney have any history of changing the number of spots for each event, particularly the Goofy/Dopey? My concern is that based on last year's experience they'll lower the amount of Goofy spots and it'll sell out a lot sooner.
Last year I think the re allocated slots from Goofy to half and full entries after a couple of months. Since they are willing to re-allocate after registration starts, i'm guessing they are willing to reallocate before registration starts too.

Full - Months
Goofy - Months
Dopey - ~2 hrs
Half - 3.5 hrs
10K - 1.5 hrs
5K - 1.5 hrs
Kids - Months

Again, just my $.02

its really anyone's guess as to what exactly will happen, I think a lot has been made out of W&D but I think a LOT of factors went in to that that wont apply to Marathon Weekend, I do expect the 5k and 10k and Dopey to go fast but I would be shocked if it was less than an hour for any of them, which should give everyone who is ready to go at noon plenty of time, especially if we get the backdoor link that usually shows up that will open even a few minutes before noon and helps bypass the inevitable RunDisney site crash

Another newbie question here: is it possible to sign up for both the 10k and half at the same time if I'm ready at noon on the 28th? It sounds like everything goes really quickly so I wanted to ask.

unfortunately no you will have to do one then go back in and do the other, I would recommend hitting the 10k first then going back in for the half, as long as you are ready to go right on time though you should be fine to get both of those done

All this talk about registration is giving me heartburn. I already took the day off work because I've been needing a "relax-day" anyways and what better excuse. Since I need to register myself and my father-in-law for the 5k I've just now recruited my hubby to take the day off too with me to have dual computers going. Promised him we'd go do something fun like a movie afterwards. It's nice having some extra vacay days to burn this year since we aren't doing our vacation until January.

people shouldnt base marathon weekend on wine and dine, dont forget that tower of terror was cancelled this year so that may have pushed people into signing up for W&D.

Yeah, I'm not going to stress over registration until Princess. W&D was SUCH an anomaly, it appears.

I agree that W&D went quick because of no TOT. I did tower the last 2 years. I was planning on w&d this year anyway. I think the frenzy over the past few runs on both coasts will drive this one crazy fast too even with the larger fields. I think there will be fewer spots for Goofy based on last years event.

January is marathon only for me. Now 2108 for the anniversary year for the dopey. I will be plugged into multiple computers. :lmao:

people shouldnt base marathon weekend on wine and dine, dont forget that tower of terror was cancelled this year so that may have pushed people into signing up for W&D.
This x 1000.

Also, last race weekend at WDW for the year...so last chance to get Coast to Coast. And so on.

January will be different. More races to choose from, and with Princess and Star Wars soon after, I think there will be less demand. (That's not to say that there aren't people out there who will do all 3.)

people shouldnt base marathon weekend on wine and dine, dont forget that tower of terror was cancelled this year so that may have pushed people into signing up for W&D

yeah a lot went into the w&d crazy-ness, I really think we will all be fine for marathon weekend, Heck look at avengers today here it is 4:15 and the brand new infinity challenge isn't even sold out yet and the main event of the weekend (the half) is only at 50% although strangely enough the kids race sold out in like 90 mins :confused3, the 10k did go quick and seems to be the most popular event at rundisney lately so if that's your target race be sure to be ready to go right on time on the 28th but I still think it will take at least an hour for that to go with the larger capacity over what Disneyland has

I might be doing Dopey on my first Goofy attempt (talking with parents about it). This both terrifies and excites me. Mom who comes with me for the trips wants to do the 5k. And if she is doing the 5k, that means I'm doing the 5k. And at this point I'm going why not just throw the 10k in and make it the challenge?

I might be doing Dopey on my first Goofy attempt (talking with parents about it). This both terrifies and excites me. Mom who comes with me for the trips wants to do the 5k. And if she is doing the 5k, that means I'm doing the 5k. And at this point I'm going why not just throw the 10k in and make it the challenge?

I can see your logic and as long as you take it easy the first two races I really don't see it affecting you for the big ones

I can see your logic and as long as you take it easy the first two races I really don't see it affecting you for the big ones

Yeah that's pretty much my plan (got the okay to do Dopey from parents, now I just have to talk to trainer). My fast pace is right now around a 11 min/mile and improving. So I figure if I'm even taking it easy I'll finish easy (for me slow is close to a 14-15 minute mile which is funny because that used to be my fast pace, wonder what it will be like in January!).

On the bright side I'll get plenty of chances at figuring out how to do Goofy/Dopey pacing between the shorter Disney challenges I'm all ready in for (PDC, DDD, and IGC all before WDW weekend), and July when I run my first ultra (it's a two day race with 50k each day).

How do people find the backdoor link? I saw there was one posted on the Avengers thread that went live before noon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter