• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2012, what's your events?

John VN

N.Y. STYLE CHEESECAKE RULES!!!
Next year will be our 2nd year participating in Marathon Weekend events. As of now, DW and I will do the 1/2M and then I'll do the Full. This past Jan. we also did the 5K but have not committed to it yet.

Just curious who else is going, what events your doing and will you be taking your RV to EPCOT like we did this year. Having the RV at EPCOT was fantastic. Nothing better than taking a shower right after completing the race and then having a comfortable/relaxing breakfast in eye shot of Spaceship Earth.

John,

My heart is with ya, bra!

I did the 5k/Half/10k/Whole in consecutive years 2004-2007 (back when I was skinny).

I would LOVE to do at least the Half again one year soon. From a training standpoint the Half is easy to finish even if you are big, slow, and out of shape (like me).

The Whole, on the other hand, is a different issue entirely. Although the Whole is 2X the Half in distance, it is MORE than 2X in training.

I think I got at least one more Half left in me. I'd really like to do a Team Half or Team Whole sometime if that is in the cards.

Bama ED

PS - Maybe when I get past kids and college I will do it again. You motivate me though to read your post. I need to get up tomorrow morning before dawn and cover my distance/time. Good luck to you and break a leg. :rotfl:

.....PS - Maybe when I get past kids and college I will do it again. You motivate me though to read your post. I need to get up tomorrow morning before dawn and cover my distance/time. Good luck to you and break a leg. :rotfl:

Had to laugh at the above. :lmao:

I see my neurosurgeon this Thursday to find out when he will fuse my neck as a result of a bicycle crash 5 weeks ago. Fractured clavicle also so this senior citizen is a hurting geezer. I did manage to walk 13.79 miles yesterday morning so go at it and maybe we can do a marathon together. :thumbsup2

Just saw on the news this very sad story.... http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2011-05-08/Bicyclist-killed-after-being-knocked-off-Sanibel-causeway

When does WDW usually have the Marathon? We are thinking of going in January of 2013. We are thinking of going Dec. 30, 2012 to Jan. 9, 2013, will it fall on that first weekend in Jan while we are there? Thanks

Had to laugh at the above. :lmao:

I see my neurosurgeon this Thursday to find out when he will fuse my neck as a result of a bicycle crash 5 weeks ago. Fractured clavicle also so this senior citizen is a hurting geezer. I did manage to walk 13.79 miles yesterday morning so go at it and maybe we can do a marathon together. :thumbsup2

Just saw on the news this very sad story.... http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florida/2011-05-08/Bicyclist-killed-after-being-knocked-off-Sanibel-causeway

John,

You humble, no wait, you shame me with your manliness. I wish I were more like you. And yes that is a sad story.

For britt, you might be in luck. http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/.
thats the first full weekend of 2012 so 2013 might fall into place for you.

Bama ed

I'll be there.

Did the Marathon in 2006 and 2007.

Been doing the 5k, Half and Marathon ever since. 2012 will be the 5th Goofy for DS21 and I.

In 2008, I did every race offered at WDW and DL. Wish I could do them all every year.

Yes we are both signed up to to the 2012 Full Marathon. My better half did the full marathon this year, and I did the half marathon.

We did not drive the motorhome to Epcot. We simply rode the shuttles so that we didn't have to unhook and rehook the motorhome.

We will be there for the Marathon weekend in Jan 2012. My dd, MIL and I are doing the 5K. DH, FIL and DH's uncle and FIL's brother are doing the 1/2, then DH and his Uncle are doing the full together.
DH said he would only ever do 1 marathon for the experience but after doing Disney's he was hooked and talked his dad and uncle into it. We do 5k's as a family so it will be no problem for us. I'm worried about MIL though, she's not in great shape and doesn't meet the mim pace right now. Hopefully she is working on it.

Disney is very lenient in the Family 5K events as far as pace. The 16mm pace is not set in stone.

As far as breaking camp to get to EPCOT, we slept with slides in and only had to disconnect power and cable then off we went.

I too am recovering from a bicycle accident two weeks ago. I am post-concussion, with facial lacerations from my perscription sunglasses. Still dealing with ringing in my ears and eye floaters. Missed an entire week of work. Luckily, no broken bones. But was literally knocked senseless (loss of consciousness) and I was wearing a helmet. Got a great bit of road rash as well. I will get back on my bike at some point. Get well John.

I too am recovering from a bicycle accident two weeks ago. I am post-concussion, with facial lacerations from my perscription sunglasses. Still dealing with ringing in my ears and eye floaters. Missed an entire week of work. Luckily, no broken bones. But was literally knocked senseless (loss of consciousness) and I was wearing a helmet. Got a great bit of road rash as well. I will get back on my bike at some point. Get well John.

There's an old saying about 2 kinds of cyclists, those who have gone down and those who have yet to go down. My problem is I have gone down in races and just riding. Maybe it's time for training wheels.

Sorry about your outcome, just make sure you get that new melon guard.:lmao: BTW, how's the bike, :rotfl2:, after all I am a cyclist and I had to ask. :rotfl:

Just read about a tri event in Sarasota where a mom crashed her bike a couple weeks ago and her 13yo son swam and biked for her then she ran. Totally awesome. :thumbsup2

I'm hoping to get decent movement back in my right shoulder after fractured clavicle heals and neck too, then have DW who was a lifeguard help me improve my swimming so I can enter next year's tri event. It's just a 1 hour drive from where we live. We have a pool and the Gulf is biking/walking distance from home so multi-training would be a snap.

Neuro was please with C6 fracture healing but not thrilled about C5-C6 slippage. 6 more weeks in neck collar, another visit after x-rays then who knows what.

Get well soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter