Many thanks (and some questions)

diznygirrl

Earning My Ears
I just wanted to thank all of you fabulous Dis’ers who have provided me with a wealth of information to take with me on my first cruise! I’ve been reading these boards for a while and, armed with all of your wonderful advice, I already feel like a veteran cruiser (except for the fact that I’ve never actually stepped onboard a ship!!) But, I still have questions….

First the details. I will be on the August 14 Wonder with my DH (celebrating our 14th anniversary) and 2 DD’s, ages 9 & 6. (I know that I have ignored the most important piece of advice found on this board by booking a 3 night cruise – “anything less than 7 nights is WAY too short’ -- but I can’t even begin to describe to you how difficult it was trying to get DD’s to agree to leave WDW for even 3 days! However, I expect that they will fall in love with cruising once they try it and we’ll be booking a 7 night cruise onboard).

Now the questions:

1. I plan on arriving at the port early and boarding as soon as possible. Where should we eat – Parrot Cay or Beach Blanket Buffet? I know that some of you will say the latter because of the shrimp (I won’t mention names – you know who you are!) But, irrespective of the shrimp, which is a better experience (and why)?
2. Should I even try to schedule a night at Palo, or just stick to the regular rotation and wait until the next cruise to go to Palo?
3. Assuming the answer to the Palo question is yes, which restaurant should we miss (I’ve considered but dismissed the idea of double dipping)? Also, do I find out my dining rotation when I check in or do I have to wait to get to my stateroom for the "tickets" mentioned in Passporter?
4. Is the Surial Bath really worth doing?
5. Is the “wine package” available on the 3 night cruise, and if so, how do I find out more information about it?
6. Any advice on how to get the most out of such a short cruise?

Thanks in advance for your help. I’m sure I will have more questions as August approaches.

Originally posted by diznygirrl
Is the Surial Bath really worth doing?

Yes
Yes
Yes
YES

did I say "Yes" yet?

If you and your DH can sneak away for this, you won't regret it!

I don't have the answer to the wine package, but I would say even if it isn't. You can still by your wine by the bottle and if you don't finish it take it back to the room or have your server hold it for the next night dinner. I found this to be much easier than trying to figure out if I was going to drink a certain amount of bottles of wine and then have to take some home with me.

I am a wine with dinner kind of gal and DH would sometimes join me.

I also didn't think the "package" was any great deal. I saw many wines that I get at home for less than $10 being sold for $30-40.

As far as Palo, do they have a brunch on the 3 day? maybe you could do that instead. I wouldnt feel bad about missing it, I'd rather be with the kids, we did make it there on our 7 day late in the cruise and the kids were dying to order room service for dinner, it's so funny what they get a kick out of.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by diznygirrl
-- but I can’t even begin to describe to you how difficult it was trying to get DD’s to agree to leave WDW for even 3 days!

Uh huh. Been there, done that. We had to convince our kids, 8 and 6 to give up 4 days at Disney for a cruise. Granted, we did a 4 day cruise and then 9 at Disney, but we are used to 12 or 13 at Disney.

Dd said, before we disembarked, that she would GLADLY give up her NINE days at Disney for another FOUR on the ship.

We ALL left the port that day extremely sad to be going to WDW!! Imagine that, SAD to be going to Disney!

You are going to have a WONDERful time!!! Who knows, on your second cruise you may have a MAGICal time! ;) ;)

Hello! you'll have a WONDERful time :)

1. I plan on arriving at the port early and boarding as soon as possible. Where should we eat – Parrot Cay or Beach Blanket Buffet? I know that some of you will say the latter because of the shrimp (I won’t mention names – you know who you are!) But, irrespective of the shrimp, which is a better experience (and why)?

I for one don't consider the shrimp there such a great thing. They're shell on and I didn't think they were that great. For me the better experience still is BBB, simply for eating up on Deck 9 aft with the wonderful view of Port Canaveral. And most people get directed to PC so, BBB never is as crowded until really late in the boarding.

A big secret for you, BOTH buffets are prepared out of the same kitchen, the food selection should be virtually the same.

2. Should I even try to schedule a night at Palo, or just stick to the regular rotation and wait until the next cruise to go to Palo?

Palo's is worth the effort to book it. When you board go directly to Wavebands to make the ressie. Being first cruise, directions are when you board, take a right in between the elevators and go in to the first club, there will be a small sign outside saying it's where they take them.

3. Assuming the answer to the Palo question is yes, which restaurant should we miss (I’ve considered but dismissed the idea of double dipping)? Also, do I find out my dining rotation when I check in or do I have to wait to get to my stateroom for the "tickets" mentioned in Passporter?

I'd say miss any other than Animator's Pallette as you'll want to see the 'show'. You find out your dining rotation on check-in. it'll be right on the Key to the World cards, something like 'tap' or such, the first letter of the name of each restaurant.

4. Is the Surial Bath really worth doing?

Totally depends on how adventurous you are.

5. Is the “wine package” available on the 3 night cruise, and if so, how do I find out more information about it?

Not sure, would assume so, but the above answer is better, pick out one good wine you'd like with all the dinners and they'll bring it along to each for you.

6. Any advice on how to get the most out of such a short cruise?

Sleep is overstated. ;) Seriously, go look at www.castawayclub.com or www.dcltribute.com for the most current navigators and sketch out a rough idea of what you'd like to do now before you go.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I guess I'll just have to try to fit everything in and skip the sleep!

ohiominnie: I can only hope that my DD's have the same reaction to cruising that yours did. I can't imagine them being sad to go to WDW after the cruise, but I am hoping that they will want to do less time in WDW and more on the ship for our next trip (March '04 -- spring break)

BTW: Your kids are about the same ages as mine, so I'm curious as to how they liked the kids clubs. Did they spend alot of time there?

If you get in line early than you have a choice of where to eat. To me much depends on the weather. We have been so "sun deprived" here in the east that if it's not too hot or too wet or too cloudy I would head upstairs to lunch.

This puts you a little closer to the spa to get your ressies. The Surial bath is the spa treatment my husband insists on;) This will be our fourth cruise and our fourth Surial bath.

The wait staff is wonderful about storing you open and not finished bottle of wine. We opted for Palo on our last night but went to the resturant to say goodbye and tip them. They handed me my last glass of wine to carry around the ship. We will be buying our wine by the bottle.

I would also advise to look at old Navigators, even the kids navigators. If the kids have some "previews of coming attractions then you might have a better idea of how to schedule your time.

Our kids were 15, 12 and 9 when we did our first cruise. They now choose cruising over WDW hands down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter