Manatees in Cozumel

pudinhd

DIS Veteran
Hello!! DH & I are taking a Western Caribbean cruise next March. Even though this will be our 7th Disney cruise, they have all been on the West Coast. I am extremely interested in the Manatee Encounter at Chankanaab Park but also a bit unsure about figuring it out on our own. I have read some posts about people being allowed to get in the water with the manatees after their Dolphin Encounters. I am wondering if this is something that happens all the time and should be expected or if it is just a possibility. If it is not always included, what do you think the chances are of being able to book an encounter while we are there? Thank you!!! :)

We were taken over to the Manatees after our Dolphin Push Pull and Swim at Chankanaab in February last year. DH doesn't remember if they got to do it again in November when we returned and they did the Dolphin Encounter. (I didn't get to go the second time, DD had been feeling sick the night before, so I stayed with her on the ship.) There is an actual Manatee encounter you can book where you get real time in the water with the manatees to interact and feed them lettuce. The short freebie version was just a few minutes in the water with them to pet them.

We really enjoyed it the short free add-on. The manatees were a little slimy since they had algae growing on them, but it was really interesting to get to pet them.

I don't know if you could book additional activities on the day of. It would almost certainly depend on how full their groups already were. We booked the first time (Push Pull Swim) through the cruise line. We booked the second time (Dolphin Encounter and Sea Lion Encounter) directly on their online website.

We did this in 2010and the cruise lines. Back them did not offer this but you could book this online. It was way cheaper than the dolphins like. $45 you are on the platform and then get into the water to pet them feed them. It was great and have no problem doing it again!

Such great helpful information!! Now we have to decide if we want to figure out doing the manatees on our own or doing the dolphins through DCL. :) Thank you!

Has anyone done the manatee encounter on their own (since DCL doesn't offer it)? If so, how was it? How long did it take? We're planning a DCL excursion that ends at 2pm. Would 3 hours be enough time to get over to Chankanaab, do the manatee excursion, and then get back to the ship? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter