• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Man, was I missing out...

vanhot

Foodie w/a peasants palate
As you can see from my signature, I'd visited Disney a few times growing up, but we were never quite "rich" enough to stay at a resort on site.

We had always gone to the same hotel, the kings motel, which later changed to Howard Johnson. This place was on a lake and it was beautiful. The most I'd seen of any resort growing up was driving by the swan and dolphin and thinking how weird it looked.

This last trip a few years back, I kind of wanted to stay at the same place fr nostalgic purposes, but figured since it was just the wife and I, and we had some extra tax money, id splurge on trying out one of the resort hotels. We finally decided on the Port Orleans Riverside resort from the pictures and availability.

Now the title comes in...man, was I missing out. I had no idea how great the Disney resorts could be. It was almost like another entire park I was missing out on by not staying at a resort. From the cast members, to the dining, to the rooms and landscaping, we had no choice but to feel fully immersed in this area.

What Im trying to say is, off site hotels are great for sleeping, but if you have the chance, please at least once, stay at a resort. Disney makes it such a magical experience that completely adds to your entire trip, in a way you couldn't imagine.

I totally agree, you don't really understand it until you have stayed onsite. We would rather stay at a value Disney resort than a fancy/upscale hotel off site. Totally different feel. My parents live close enough for us to stay with them when we go to Disney so it is hard to justify paying for a hotel but we still have to stay onsite sometimes just because we love it.

I totally agree with you. When I'm on vacation I don't want to think about the outside world, so don't want to see business districts (gas stations, malls, grocery stores, banks, etc.). I love the complete immersion that Disney resorts give you. If I'm at CSR I love feeling like I'm in the Southwest. If I'm at one of the PO resorts I love the Lousiana blues feeling. I seldom stay there, but I also love feeling you get at soon as you step into the WL or AKL.

I so agree with you! You truly get immersed in the magic of WDW if you stay on property. After ME picks you up from the airport (if you're flying) and transfers you to your hotel, it's as if you're in this magical Disney bubble and you don't have the outside clutter (gas stations, stores, etc.) of the real world reminding you that at some point your vacation will be over. Staying on property with all of the extras offered to guests, to me, truly adds to the vacation and enhances it.

As a younger adult I lived in Miami, and the paper always had hotel/motel specials for the WDW area. At that time, the 1980s, the hotels/motels on 192 were brand spanking new. The road was still 2 lanes each way in many places. (Not overcrowded and run-down like it is now.) In 1992, we decided to stay at the newly-opened Dixie Landings. French Quarter wasn't even open yet.

All I can say is, once in the totally immersive Disney experience, we never stayed off-site again. I can't explain it well, just as the OP can't exactly explain why, but those who have not tried it, should try a Disney resort once, to see what Disney Devotees are all talking about.

My DD brought along her BF from Denver last year. He had never been to WDW and wasn't acting very impressed during trip planning. We were at POR and it didn't take long to make a new WDW convert out of him. He even liked the DDP, although at first he didn't understand the need for it. He wants to come again ASAP.

I have been to Disney 11 times; the last 9 trips have been on-site. I only found out about discounts three years ago, when I joined the disboards after hearing about it from a friend. I was paying full rack rate and doing the land/sea package, going alone, paying 175% of double occupancy and still thought it was affordable for what you got in return!

My DSB and DSSIL, with DD10 and DS12, went for the first time three years ago and stayed off-site. They couldn't fathom why I would spend "so much money" to stay on-site. I told them, look at all the things you are paying for that I don't - parking, gas, etc.

Last Thanksgiving, I was able to snag them a discount to stay on-site at POP, using the discount to get the dining plan and they decided to give it a whirl.

THEY GOT IT!:thumbsup2

There is nothing better than waking up and going to sleep immersed in the entire Disney experience.

I agree 100%, we have never stayed offsite (3 trips) and probably never will. Having our first trip be on site (Saratoga Springs) and having no idea what to expect going into it, we were all so amazed at the immersion that Disney offers. Now, because of that first trip, we are fans for life and can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Plus, only onsite do you get the uniquely fantastic feeling that you get when a bus is pulling up to the parking lot and you have to wait, just a second, for it to turn your way so you can see where it is headed. And if it is headed for your destination, only speaking for myself, its kind of a rush. Here we go!

The onsite transportation overall is a huge part of the immersion for me. Just thinking of all the buses, the monorail, etc. that are constantly moving fellow vacationers to and from their destinations makes my head spin. It truly is a world of its own, and a bubble which I never feel good about leaving.

As you can see from my signature, I'd visited Disney a few times growing up, but we were never quite "rich" enough to stay at a resort on site.

We had always gone to the same hotel, the kings motel, which later changed to Howard Johnson. This place was on a lake and it was beautiful. The most I'd seen of any resort growing up was driving by the swan and dolphin and thinking how weird it looked.

This last trip a few years back, I kind of wanted to stay at the same place fr nostalgic purposes, but figured since it was just the wife and I, and we had some extra tax money, id splurge on trying out one of the resort hotels. We finally decided on the Port Orleans Riverside resort from the pictures and availability.

Now the title comes in...man, was I missing out. I had no idea how great the Disney resorts could be. It was almost like another entire park I was missing out on by not staying at a resort. From the cast members, to the dining, to the rooms and landscaping, we had no choice but to feel fully immersed in this area.

What Im trying to say is, off site hotels are great for sleeping, but if you have the chance, please at least once, stay at a resort. Disney makes it such a magical experience that completely adds to your entire trip, in a way you couldn't imagine.

I am currently in the exact same situation. I grew up in Florida and since I was only 2 hours away, took MANY trips to WDW since 1974. (I stopped counting at 45) I have never stayed on Disney property before. Trips we've taken from here (up north) have been to a timeshare or to Liki Tiki (which is very cool) - but we have not stayed with Disney.

I am MORE than elated to say that this April will be our first time staying at Disney - at CSR. :thumbsup2 We will use the DDP so we won't have to miss out on the awesome dining possibilities around the world. They were always too expensive for us to partake in before. I have ADRs all over the place to take advantage.

I'm SO excited.

On site or nothing.....we've done over 40 trips over the years, all on property....never regretted any one of them....we have a car service pick us up at the Kissimmee train station and see all the so called motels along 192 touted as deluxe and what no but they are so run down and is such sleazy areas...I couldn't imagine going out of my room for anything.....yes, there are some newer being built but the distance of driving in every day or a couple of times a day back and forth....the savings is eaten up by your travel...

Disney has always had resorts at different price levels...most comparable to off site.....renting a car in not an option for us....we've never used or needed one in all our trips...Disney's transportation system has suited us fine over the years and is just an added expense not necessary....

Even the resort alittle off property that say they include transportation...what, 2 or 3 times a day....on property it's every 20 minutes...what could be better.....few hours in a park, back to the resort in minutes for some fun pool time, dining out the wazoo with many choices in cuisine, back to a park for some evening fun....shopping....lounges....all within reach of your Disney resort.....

We are tried and true on site people, for what we get in amenities and ambiance from one waking moment to the next, nothing can beat on site...others want the room and a condo feel...for us, the vacation time we share with our loved ones is precious, time that will soon be gone when they grow up and are on their own and for a weeks plus of being together, priceless to us.....we will never do Disney any other way but on site....or not at all....

:yay::yay::yay:
This makes me so happy to hear! I have been to WDW tons of times growing up, but NEVER stayed on property as my parents had other timeshares in the area that we always stayed at. Even as an adult I've gone 2-3 times, always staying at a timeshare though.
This year will be our first stay on property and I couldn't be more excited! :yay:

I've only ever stayed onsite, since I've only ever been once. However, when we took our 2010 trip and stayed onsite, my MIL couldn't stop talking about how much nicer it was to stay onsite than the trips they took in the early
80s and stayed offsite. She said it was like a whole different trip, and she would never go and stay offsite again.

I've never stayed offsite, and wouldn't consider it. The resort and the ammenities that come with being onsite are part of the vacation, to me.

Back in the 90's we finally got to stay on site with our then oldest Grandson, we had visited many times with our children but always stay in the family Condo at Cocoa Beach and drove :car: back and forth to Disney from there daily.

pixiedust: Magical is a great way to discribe your first time staying at a Disney resort. (Our first stay was at POR when it was called Dixielandings)

Some 16 years and 6 Grandchildren later we always stay at a Disney resort usually trying different resorts, when traveling with grandchildren,

Though I've never returned to POR it will always hold special memories. :lovestruc My heart belongs to POR.

aaaaahhh!! Disney resorts!!:love: That is part of the vacay for us too,..my hubby has even became a deluxe snob:snooty: because most days we don't even need the bus!!! To walk or ride a monorail,or get on the boat, is fantastic!! what other vacation can you take where you get all these options..and most trips we have gotten some sort of pin, discount, or perk!! It's all part & parcel of a Disney vacation. I can always tell when someone has never been, or went on a peak week/holiday, and stayed off site...they just can't fathom the wonder of it all..... I really have tried to think of lots of diff places for our family to go, but we keep coming back to disney. I can't explain it to other people,but at least here, we all get it!:laughing:

My cousin went in December and she stayed at an All Stars resort with her family and that was her first time onsite as well. She returned and told me how great it was and that she would never stay offsite again. I tried to talk her into staying onsite for awhile!

I agree 100%. When I am at Disney I want to stay at a Disney resort and get the whole experience. Nothing else like it. I can stay at a Marriott, Hyatt, etc. on other vacations.

Enjoy The Magic!!

Agreeing with the OP & everyone else! :goodvibes Our first trip was a travel agency package in 1993 with charter air & hotel included. Stayed at the Embassy Suites in International Drive. We rented a car & did Sea World & Universal too. We were inexperienced travelers & thought it was wonderful. We ended up with some extra passes so DH & I returned alone later that year for an anniversary trip. Decided to try onsite after a few coworkers showed me pictures of Dixie Landings. That was it! We were absolutely enthralled & hooked. :rotfl: We talked the whole trip about bringing the kids back & how much they'd love it.

All these years later we have moved up to the deluxe resorts & we go almost every year (probably about 16 trips). We now usually stay YC club level. But in 2010 we did return to Dixie Landings (I know...POR ;)) & the magic was still there. :lovestruc

My DH works 55 - 60 hour weeks & is so stressed all year. But the minute we get on that plane & head to the magic, he is transformed. We get to forget the outside world & focus on enjoying our time together. We play in a park in the AM, swim, nap or just veg out in the afternoon & have fabulous upscale dining at signature dining places in the evening. All our favorite things!

Luckily, lots of our family & friends have been to WDW & "get it". We don't get many "you're going there AGAIN?" looks. But we do get lots of "take me with you!" looks!!! :rotfl:

I agree to a point......I've made a couple of dozen trips to Disney over the years. I don't know that much was added to our trip by staying at Old Key West, for example. We were pretty park intensive travelers. Kids never got a toe wet in the pool, never ate at the resort, etc. It was a hotel room. It made sense because of the number of people we had and the suite configuration. That said....IF you are inclined to take advantage of what the resorts offer, then I couldn't agree with you more. If you are a park enthusiast who needs a break each day or night and the "experience" doesn't need to continue to your sleeping arrangements, it can be an expensive proposition that is ultimately not necessary.

Staying on property has perks that are reasonably worthwhile. If you don't use them....then.....

We get a lot of "you're going there again" remarks from my husbands brother and his family, but who cares? They have never been and just don't get it. Until you have been to the World you just can't understand. Just like until you have stayed onsite you just don't understand. We won't do WDW or US any other way now, because the experience is just so different- just not as good as it could be any other way. I just wish they would build a Hogwarts Castle to stay in....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter