Man Vs. Boat

UrsulasDaBomb

<font color=red>Lost Lamb Returned to the Flock<br
Mods...I wasn't sure if I should put this here or on the DCL board..so if you feel it needs to be moved, please move it. :)

Yesterday I got DH to sit down and watch the DCL special on Travel Channel with me. He seemed somewhat awed and impressed by the Wonder and the Magic, more so than when we'd watched the official DCL video that came in the mail.

However...:rolleyes: he says as wonderful as the ships might be and as much fun as a cruiseline vacation could be...there is NO way in Hades he is getting on a boat going out to anywhere approaching the ocean. He told me the last time he was on a boat in the ocean he got seasick. I almost smacked him. Well of COURSE he got seasick the last time he was on a boat in the ocean...it was a TEENYWEENY motorboat he was riding with his mom and sister who were going parasailing.

I tried to explain that a great big cruiseship was different from a little motorboat and you would hardly know you were in a ship unless you looked out at the water. I tried to get him enthusiastic about the shows,the food, the different adult activities they offer like the Surial spa (which I am DYING to try..heh heh heh;) ), all the fun things that go on while on board ship as well as off.

But he's dead set against it because of the whole boat thing. How do I convince him that our next 'big' vacation should be a DCL one instead of say...going to Universal Studios/IOA (like he fliply suggested)? I have absolutely NO desire to go to US/IOA. None whatsoever. It ain't got pixie dust, I don't wanna go there.

Maybe I'm predjudiced against US/IOA because I like Disney so much and really enjoy the parks. I know DH enjoys them too, just not to the extent that I do and maybe I"m pushing the issue too much.

But...in the end...I always get what want, even if I have to bring out the big guns by crying, pouting and throwing a VERY immature hissyfit. :teeth:

Gayle(UDB)

Good Luck to you in your quest to cruise! LOL! If you can get him on it once, chances are he will be HOOKED for life. One thing you may want to tell him is these ships are so big and are designed to be alot more stable (than obviously the lil motorboat he has bene on before). Also, they are equiped with state of the art stabalizers.

Lots of things he can do before he even cruise to ward off seasickness:
- get the patch from his dr
- get SEABANDS in your local walmart/drug store pharmacy (they are basically sweat bands with pressure points...a pregnant girl at work even used them for morning sickness)
- take no drowsy bonine/dramamine.

Last case scenario, he can get a nice shot from the ship's dr that will knock him out for about 8 hours, but once he wakes up, he will have smooth sailing rest of the trip! :) :) :)

Ooh I didn't think of that, Lynn. Personally, I think part of me wants him to conquer his 'fear' of the water. He loves going out on small boats in the lake and he likes to go swimming, he's just afraid of going out into the ocean on a boat because of his past experience. If I can get him past that, I"m sure he'll love it.

Besides, I kind of have experience with this on my side. Ever since we started dating, he swore up and down he would NEVER EVER EVER ride a free-fall type ride at Six Flags. He would stand and watch me do it while balking like a stubborn little goat. He wouldn't get on it. On our honeymoon, though he at first REALLY REALLY resisted...I DID manage to get him to ride ToT...once. He's never done it again and though he dislikes the ride, he's at least tried it.

I'm hoping I can get him through this and he'll do the cruise. I'm sure in the end he'll be the one I"ll have to drag off the boat kicking and screaming like a 3 year old.:)

Gayle(UDB)

DW and I went on a cruise about 15 years ago. It was the "The Big Red Boat" which was the official WDW cruise line before Disney had their own line. We did a 3 day cruise/4 day WDW trip and it was one of our best trips ever. Seasick? Yep, for about 15 minutes one night just before dinner we hit some rough waters. When it passed the seasicknesses faded with it in time to enjoy all we ate. Saw some folks headed for the ships doc, but in the end, I was glad I toughed it out for those few minutes. No way the threat of being seasick would prevent me from taking another cruise.

lol I'm a 15 year old DD so props on the water-works and immature hissyfit!! lol *claps proudly*:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

My DH was the same way. You would never get him on a cruise ship. No way.

When we went to the Bahamas a few years ago, the Wonder happened to be in port. We walked up near it and he said, "OH! I would go on that!!!"

I thought, "DONE!!!" :teeth: We were booked the following week, LOL!

Just get him to Nassau on a Monday or Friday!

LOL Megz...:teeth:
Yeah...when it comes to getting whatever I want, I REALLY pull out the big guns...I pout, I cry, I throw hissyfits a three year old would be proud to pull. But I get my way. :P

Gayle(UDB)

How about a compromise? You'll throw 2 days at Universal / IOA on to a trip if that same trip he'll go on a cruise?

*smacks forehead* Why didn't I think of that, Rajah? D'oh!

runs off to do more trip research and cost analysis....hey..who moved my Mickey calculator?

Gayle(UDB)

Have you reminded DH about the kinds of women's swimwear populating the beaches in that neck of the woods:earseek: Not that your DH would even look:smooth:

ROTFLMAO Micca.

[OT]
DH has been moved to a new store that's not even open yet, so they are doing a LOT of interviews, etc looking for new employees. He came home the other day and told me about one of his coworkers who related a story about a particular interviewee. It seems she was rather...large busted and was wearing a lowcut top. During the interview, she kept leaning forward and his coworker almost ended up with his face in her chest!:teeth: DH said the coworker TRIED not to look, he REALLY did but he sort of didn't get a choice. :teeth: [/ot]

Gayle(UDB)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter