Man jumped overboard off Oasis this week.

Ofinn

DCL Platinum
Not sure if this was posted yesterday on these boards. I just saw the story on CC. There is video of it. Beware it's disturbing. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread.

Seems there was a argument between 2 men and security was called. They arrived just as one man 35 years old, from Brazil, jumped the rail and landed on the lifeboat and was then hanging from the aft divot. Saddly he lost his grip and as of 0400 hours this morning he had not been found.

Prayers they find the fellow and to the family.

AKK

I saw this on Yahoo news yesterday. When I saw the warnings about watching, I decided I did not want to see it. Once you see something it is in your head forever. The whole thing just sounded awful. I'm with Tonka's Skipper, my prayers go out to the family of this man and if he is still indeed alive that he is found quickly. :sad1:

For any cruise newbies seeing this thread, please know that someone has to really try to "fall" overboard. It is virtually impossible to "accidentally fall" off a cruise ship. I'm pretty tall for a woman and the railings come up high on my chest. No way could I have my feet firmly on the deck and lean and "fall". When one reads terrible sad news like this and has not been on a cruise, I often see a frantic post or 2 from a newbie that is scared they or one of their loved ones could accidentally just "fall" off a ship. One has to be climbing up something to have that opportunity.

The search was called off this morning. I believe the man had been working and living in the US on a visa.

For any cruise newbies seeing this thread, please know that someone has to really try to "fall" overboard. It is virtually impossible to "accidentally fall" off a cruise ship. I'm pretty tall for a woman and the railings come up high on my chest. No way could I have my feet firmly on the deck and lean and "fall". When one reads terrible sad news like this and has not been on a cruise, I often see a frantic post or 2 from a newbie that is scared they or one of their loved ones could accidentally just "fall" off a ship. One has to be climbing up something to have that opportunity.
So true, this is meant to be funny and reassure people who have never cruised, I love this guy's videos and esp this one regarding falling overboard.

Thanks for the video inclusion, Perdidobay. It was pretty doggoned funny. I absolutely agree with him that the media is negligent in never mentioning in these "person overboard" stories how virtually impossible it would be to ever fall off a ship. (Media negligent in telling the truth??? Did I actually say that out loud and in print??? Hope the media police aren't reading this….. :scared:)

How high are the railings on the balconies? We have three children, including one who will turn 2 on the cruise, and loves to climb. I don't expect that they'll ever be out there alone, given all the precautions and such (plus I don't think my nearly 2 year old would be out of my sight much anyway). But I would like some reassurance.

How high are the railings on the balconies? We have three children, including one who will turn 2 on the cruise, and loves to climb. I don't expect that they'll ever be out there alone, given all the precautions and such (plus I don't think my nearly 2 year old would be out of my sight much anyway). But I would like some reassurance.
I'm 5'4" and the railings hit me about mid-chest. As noted, to fall overboard, you have to be determined to do it. You can't just "fall" accidentally. The verandah doors are quite heavy and difficult to open (even for some adults). And the lock is above an adult's head height.

Wow! Mid-chest. That's higher than I expected. We've had balcony rooms on other lines, but that was pre-children, and so I never even took notice of the height.

Wow! Mid-chest. That's higher than I expected. We've had balcony rooms on other lines, but that was pre-children, and so I never even took notice of the height.
That's standing flat-footed. If I go up on tip-toes, it hits just under my ribs.

Bonnysammy, PrincessShmoo is right. Those balcony doors require an adult to open if they are locked. There is a very high lock knob and then one must turn the lever (it's the "doorknob") and THEN pull. They are heavy doors as said. If you keep the door locked, I don't believe there's any way your 2 y.o. could get out by themself.

I have older children, as well. We have two staterooms, and I was more worried about "distract and conquer." lol

@bonnysammy I know some people here have mentioned requesting to get the furniture (at least the little table) on the balcony removed because they were worried about kids climbing. Just an option for your peace of mind! I've done 5 disney cruises in balcony rooms with toddlers and we have never had a problem. The doors are hard for me to open. There is no way I could just fall off at 5'9 unless I climbed onto something and climbed over the railing. I think it would be hard for your 2 year old even if he stood on a table (but we have a no standing on the balcony furniture rule for our kids - more so they don't fall and get hurt as the ship sometimes rocks, less worry about actually falling overboard - it really is hard to do).

Just passing along.......The USCG ended their search for the missing passenger Saturday. They covered 931 square miles.

Again prayers for him and the Family.

AKK

We just cruised for the first time with connecting rooms and balconies for our family of 5. It did make me nervous. My oldest DD is 5'9" and I didn't like her leaning on the railing. The 4yo wasn't even allowed out there. She could have EASILY scaled the balcony plexiglass wall if she'd been determined to. And the same for the door - I didn't find it that hard to open and the lock being high was no real deterrent.

It just depends on your kid. When you look over the railing the water is STRAIGHT down. Ugh!

The rest of the ship was fine except for deck 4 - my 4yo wasn't allowed outside on deck four because there were just too many gaps and climbing spots on the railing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter