Mama Mia swim suit for the cruise?

westjones

DIS Veteran
Has anyone seen the movie Mama Mia? Do you remember the cute one piece swim suit the young girl had on in the movie? Where can you get cute one piece swim suits? I want to get one for my teenage daughter (who doesn't like bikini style suits).

We are going on the 4 night cruise. Is there a swit suit shop in Nassau that might have these?

Or better, does anyone know of a catalog that has them?

Thanks,
DJ

I don't know but agree it was cute.
I am dying to find the sunglasses Christine Baranski wears. I have watched MM now 11 times. I have tried every way I can think of to find out the sunglass brand to no avail. Hope you have better luck w/ the suit.

I don't know but agree it was cute.
I am dying to find the sunglasses Christine Baranski wears. I have watched MM now 11 times. I have tried every way I can think of to find out the sunglass brand to no avail. Hope you have better luck w/ the suit.

LOL! We have watched it about 25 times (my DD is so hooked on it she will watch it 3 times a day....with the Sing A Long on so she can sing with it).

Glad to hear I am not the only one crazy about the movie.

I just hope I can find my DD a cute one piece like that one! We both loved it!
Good Luck finding the sun glasses!
DJ

Lands End has really cute suits....all kinds and some really cute one piece. For kids and adults. They also have VERY nice Pooh sized suits for those of us in need.

Thanks, I have looked at Lands Ends and that is where I buy "my" swimsuits (they are great), but my DD needs Junior style/sizes and the lands ends ones are too big and she would want the thinner straps (like in the movie).

I just can't believe there aren't one pieces out there for teenage girls. I would think there would be a market for them. But maybe I am wrong.

DJ

It's not gonna be easy. It seems that one pieces fall into one of two categories: skanktastic, so that even though it may seem modest because it is a one piece, it is either riding up the person's butt or they are falling out of the top of it. Or grandmaish. Huge ugly prints, frill around the bottom, clashing colors......yech.

One word of advice is that you may look for the small, private swimwear boutiques in the local mall or around town. It seems that they usually have the largest selection and most unique offerings. They are usually more pricy than chain stores, but it may be your best bet.

Unfortunately many of those stores are only open in the summertime, but you may be able to find one around town if you check out the Yellow Pages.

"skanktastic" -- I love it-- great word

I have had good luck with athletic type catalogs/websites ---Not sure the size you need - but try "Title 9" or "Athleta" sites -- they are not cheap - but the bathing suits hold up well - and are very functional (i.e. - you can actually spend the day in them doing stuff without constatntly hiking them up/pulling them down.)

Also the company "Tyr" who make triathlete suits and also some Speedo suits might work

Good luck

I would bet that the suit she wore in the movie was either bought on location in Greece by wardrobe, or custom made for her by wardrobe.
Speedo suits fit really nicely and are not skanktastic! :)

If you have a Costco near you, they usually stock up on one piece Speedo suits which are very pretty, modest and hold up well.

I would never question anyone's preferences. But, is there a particular reason your daughter leans toward one pieces?

Don't get me wrong; this is coming from someone who has always been a tried and true one piece gal. But, it seems like lately, tankinis (the kind that covers as much as a one piece) have been great options. A lot of them give the illusion of a one piece, but with the convenience (think potty) of a two piece.

Also, tankinis seem to have so many more options and styles than one pieces.

Just throwing it out there.

A second for Delia's My dd (15) has found cute one piece suits there

I would never question anyone's preferences. But, is there a particular reason your daughter leans toward one pieces?

Don't get me wrong; this is coming from someone who has always been a tried and true one piece gal. But, it seems like lately, tankinis (the kind that covers as much as a one piece) have been great options. A lot of them give the illusion of a one piece, but with the convenience (think potty) of a two piece.

Also, tankinis seem to have so many more options and styles than one pieces.

Just throwing it out there.

Our pool club has a slide and she doesn't like having to worry about her top coming up. Also she loves waterparks and also doesn't want to have to worry about them there.

She wears two pieces because that is mostly what they have for Juniors at the stores. But at the waterparks she wears a t-shirt over it so it doesn't come off.

I figured a one piece would be easier for her.

DJ

Oh and one more thing.....she is planning to go to a church camp this summer and they require one piece swimsuits.

Our pool club has a slide and she doesn't like having to worry about her top coming up. Also she loves waterparks and also doesn't want to have to worry about them there.

She wears two pieces because that is mostly what they have for Juniors at the stores. But at the waterparks she wears a t-shirt over it so it doesn't come off.

I figured a one piece would be easier for her.

DJ

Oh and one more thing.....she is planning to go to a church camp this summer and they require one piece swimsuits.

No, no I completely understand.

I was just asking, because I am a recent convert to the full body tankinis, and didn't really have any trouble with them at waterparks, so I thought they might be an option.

No, no I completely understand.

I was just asking, because I am a recent convert to the full body tankinis, and didn't really have any trouble with them at waterparks, so I thought they might be an option.

Yeah, they would probably be fine at the waterparks (in fact, I have one from Lands End that is more like a tank time and shorts and it has been fine at the water parks), but the info from the church camp says one piece swim suits, so because I want something that works at both places, I need to get her a one piece.
DJ

Land's End used to be where I purchased all my one peices, but this year I just don't like any of the styles they have. A girlfriend turned me on to JCrew swimsuits. I am so thankful to have found them. I have bought 3 so far this summer. They have a great variety of color and they do go on sale at times as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter