Male vs Female Dogs

HLAuburn

DIS Veteran
We are beginning to explore the possibility of getting a puppy. I know it's just a matter of preference, but what gender do you prefer in a dog??

We've always had males, but my last dog wasn't bad about lifting his leg unless we were outside, so that wasn't really an issue. I'm a little unsure about dealing with a female dog coming into heat, but I guess that's what spaying is for!

I read that boy dogs are more "I Love You" and girls are more "Love Me". We are definitely more concerned about personality, so I'm curious to know everyone's experiences.

Thanks!

HLAuburn said:
We are beginning to explore the possibility of getting a puppy. I know it's just a matter of preference, but what gender do you prefer in a dog??

We've always had males, but my last dog wasn't bad about lifting his leg unless we were outside, so that wasn't really an issue. I'm a little unsure about dealing with a female dog coming into heat, but I guess that's what spaying is for!

I read that boy dogs are more "I Love You" and girls are more "Love Me". We are definitely more concerned about personality, so I'm curious to know everyone's experiences.

Thanks!

I've owned both but definetly prefer my girls.

Our last 4 collies have been female and I currently have 2 females.
They are both loving, cuddly and always want attention.

All my "girls" Ive had spayed even before their first cycle, so no issue there.

My current sable girl was 5 when she was spayed and the only reason for the delay was I used to show her. All show dogs must be intact.

I think its definetly a personal preference.
What breed are u looking at?

Thanks!

We have a Male Golden Retriever, love, love, love him! What's funny is he's never lifted his leg, always squats? I guess no one told him! ;)

Yet, he's gone to dog play groups and everything! He too is an "I love you".

I prefer female dogs. 100%. My first dog was female, as is my current dog. We go out, she picks a spot, does her business and we can take a nice long walk without interruptions. My parents have 3 males. One of which just spent the week with me while they were in disney. I had to start taking them on separate walks. He has to stop and pee a million times and kicks up dirt after. Drove me and my dog nuts. She kept looking at me like, what is this clown doing?

As for my dog going into heat. She was fixed at 5 months so she never had a heat. My sister put off having her male fixed until he was almost 2 and he still goes in the house. Ugh... No boy dogs for me.

Our female is the one that marks places as we walk. My male could care less. He does have to mark where the female goes in our yard though. She goes, the he goes right on top of it. I would pick personality over gender.

Dash is a fixed male, and I can't remember the last female dog I had... probably when I was a kid at home.

He didn't learn to lift his leg until he was almost a year old and he only does that on walks, at home he squats. No idea why :confused3

As for the "I love you" or "love me"... he has neither. We have always joked he has a cat personality. He is pretty indifferent unless you have food, then you have his FULL attention ;)

Our last dog was a male chocolate lab, he was fixed. He loved everybody and everything. I really think it will just depend on the dog you get and their own individual personality.

Hmm. For some reason all my dogs have been male. I don't think we consciously chose boys over girls, it just happened that way. All of my boy dogs have been very loveable and cuddly creatures. My newest one, Tiki-Bird we adopted this year. He's about 5yrs old and was neutered right before we got him. He had NEVER hiked his leg. He squats like a girl! I guess it's because I put a pink collar on him. :goodvibes He's white and fluffy with black button eyes--so Bichon-y. He looks like a teddy bear.

We have had both female and male dogs. I prefer male to female. Male dogs are easier to train, more affectionate and more eager to please.

I have one of each. My female is friendlier but my male is more devoted to the family.

We have a Male Golden Retriever, love, love, love him! What's funny is he's never lifted his leg, always squats? I guess no one told him! ;)

Yet, he's gone to dog play groups and everything! He too is an "I love you".

My male golden retriever always squats too. And he's 7 yrs old now! Nobody told him either. :lmao: Too cute.
He's very cuddly as well. :)

I have all males. They all cuddle. I always has issues with female dog and cats getting sick and dying.

My male golden retriever always squats too. And he's 7 yrs old now! Nobody told him either. :lmao: Too cute.
He's very cuddly as well. :)

Must be a golden thing! Both of ours squat as well.

We've always had male dogs. My boys love me and always want to please.

OP - what kind of puppy are you looking for?

I have two females now, both spayed so heat isn't an issue, and have had males in the past. Personally I like females, but that might just be luck of the personality draw - both our girls are very maternal and patient with the kids, but also very gentle. Both male dogs we've had were gentle with the kids/family but overly protective of the kids to the point where I worried about aggression towards "outsiders".

We have had both female and male dogs. I prefer male to female. Male dogs are easier to train, more affectionate and more eager to please.

This! We're lucky he's never ever "humped" anything either! LoL. There are a lot of dogs on the street so he (all of them really) does "mark" quite often on his walks.

Up until very recently, I have only had female dogs personally. They both died within 6 months of each other and we ended up with a male dog at this time. We had larger dogs also (German Shorthair Pointer and an English Setter) and now we have a Puggle. I was worried he would have to pee on everything in sight like most other male dogs I have known but he squats like a girl. :rotfl:

While I really enjoyed my larger female dogs, I have to say this male Puggle has really found his place in my heart. I love the fact that he is smaller and I don't mind that he is a male because he doesn't do the male "things" I was worried about. He is extremely affectionate and easy to walk and loves to play and be silly. Much more personality than my other dogs (I feel guilty saying that but it's true).

I guess for me from now on personality is the biggest deciding factor since both males and females can be great.

I have to say personality over gender I've got a male dachsund who is a velcro dog to the point of over-bearing, cry cry cry if not attached to you It will never change he is abt 9 y/o now been like that all his life

I've got a female mixed breed that has no idea what she is, when she's out with the boys she will squat to pee when she is out with another strong personality female she will lift her leg :rotfl: she's nuts

I've got cuddle bugs and others that will occasionally honor you with a kiss

Pointers, redbone coon hound, doxies, and the aforementioned nut case in this family

I think it just depends on the dog. I prefer females because my parents had 2 unfixed males and they marked in the house all the time and it drove me crazy. My 2 min pins are so stubborn and while very loving they were hard to train. My pit mix was a stray that wondered into our yard at 8 weeks old and she has been the smartest easiest dog to train. She is a mama's girl to the extreme and always wants to love on me. This morning I tried to sleep in and she kept getting in bed and shaking me to wake me up because I think she's worried when I don't get up at my normal time!

My mom and my grandmother each had male toy poodles who were from the same litter. My grandmother's dog Teddy grew to be almost the size of a minature poodle. He lived to be about 12 or 13 and never lifted his leg. He had been neutered at a very young age. My mom's dog JJ was intact ( but always in a fenced yard or on a leash so never added to the dog population!) and lifted his leg all of the time. We had another male dog at the time so JJ had a role model! Teddy was very rarely around other dogs. Teddy would go after people's legs at times but JJ never did. We had JJ for about 15 years.

We have one of each. Our girl is a black lab and our boy is a corgi-chihuahua mix. We call them the odd couple! The boy is so much more affectionate than the girl is. She definitely lets us know when and how she would like to be pet, but the boy just wants to be loved on all. the. time. The only time he goes in the house is at night, but I'm convinced it's because his bladder is so tiny. We put a puppy pad by the bed and he always uses it. Before we had one of each, I would have said only girl doggies for me! But now that we have him I'm really not sure which one I would suggest. They are both such amazing pets. :)

ETA: they are both fixed. Black lab is 14 and has been in my husband's family since puppyhood. Chihuahua is 2-4 and was found on the highway in March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter