male mind verses female mind question

mickeyminnie

happenin' chick<br><font color=blue>Rice Krispies
Okay this is a question I want to bounce against a wide variety of people.

Men, when you are off doing what ever (work, guy stuff, out with friends) do you find yourself essentially only focuses, thinking, about what you are doing at that moment?

Let me contrast it with what I do, I can be out shopping, or at work, or what have you and while I am focused on what I am doing, I'm not day dreaming my way around, my family is never too far out of my mind. Does that make sense?

DH says when he is off doing what ever, he isn't thinking about the family much at all, he is busy thinking about what he is doing and doesn't have time to think about other stuff. It seems so compartmentalized, but is that how most mens minds work, or not. I think women think about lots of stuff at the same time.

What do you all think, am I nuts, or is this kind of the norm

Actually, you are not only not nuts, but you are describing the way most men and most women in the world think.
Men and Women are different. (Big shock!!!), and that includes the way we think as well.
Think of it like this. A man has in his brain lots and lots of little boxes. Each box is dedicated to one thing in particular. A fishing box, a family box, a work box, etc... A man usually only has one box at a time open, and that pretty much dictates how he thinks. For a man, it is normal to think of one thing at a time.
A woman doesn't have boxes, she has a mess of wires that connects one thing to everything else. For example, if she is thinking about shopping, she is immediatley connected to her kids, the rent, school, etc... It is very difficult for a woman to think of only one thing, because for her, everything is connected together.
Often times people talk about a woman's intuition. The reason a woman has this intuition, is because she is able to see something in such a way that allows her to see many, many different aspects of the same thing, thus giving her a greater insight than a man often has. This is also why a woman tends to be more emotional than a man.
A man on the other hand sees things more logically. Instead of worrying about how it might affect his sisters's, best friends' cousin, he sees it more for what it is.
This is why it is so important for a husband and wife to talk about a big decision. Both views can be very important.
Oh, by the way, a man also has a box dedicated to "NOTHING". That's right, a man has the special ability to think of absolutely nothing at all. If your husband ever gets that blank look on his face, and you ask him what he's thinking about, and he says "nothing", believe it or not that is probably true.

And the "sex" box is always opened...at least a wee bit! :teeth: So, they can sort of multitask...

noodleknitter said:
And the "sex" box is always opened...at least a wee bit! :teeth: So, they can sort of multitask...

Actually, for most men, sex falls under the natural physical routine category, such as breathing, eating, sleeping... :rotfl:

Well, speaking for myself only, I can only focus on one thing at a time. I'm way too easily distracted, so I stick with the task at hand and ignore everything else, otherwise the first task won't get finished.

Except when I'm at work. That's when my mind wanders and I think about other things. I think it's because my job is boring and there are so many other things I could be doing...

TheGoofster said:
Actually, you are not only not nuts, but you are describing the way most men and most women in the world think.
Men and Women are different. (Big shock!!!), and that includes the way we think as well.
Think of it like this. A man has in his brain lots and lots of little boxes. Each box is dedicated to one thing in particular. A fishing box, a family box, a work box, etc... A man usually only has one box at a time open, and that pretty much dictates how he thinks. For a man, it is normal to think of one thing at a time.
A woman doesn't have boxes, she has a mess of wires that connects one thing to everything else. For example, if she is thinking about shopping, she is immediatley connected to her kids, the rent, school, etc... It is very difficult for a woman to think of only one thing, because for her, everything is connected together.
Often times people talk about a woman's intuition. The reason a woman has this intuition, is because she is able to see something in such a way that allows her to see many, many different aspects of the same thing, thus giving her a greater insight than a man often has. This is also why a woman tends to be more emotional than a man.
A man on the other hand sees things more logically. Instead of worrying about how it might affect his sisters's, best friends' cousin, he sees it more for what it is.
This is why it is so important for a husband and wife to talk about a big decision. Both views can be very important.
Oh, by the way, a man also has a box dedicated to "NOTHING". That's right, a man has the special ability to think of absolutely nothing at all. If your husband ever gets that blank look on his face, and you ask him what he's thinking about, and he says "nothing", believe it or not that is probably true.

Excellent description. This is my understanding, too.

Also, I've read that a man's brain is noticibly larger (4% +/-)than a woman's. However, a woman's brain has neary 10% more nerve cell connections (wires?) between the left and right hemispheres, thereby making it easier to multi-task.

I got this email from a friend yesterday:

WOMAN'S PRAYER/POEM

Before I lay me down to sleep,
I pray for a man, who's not a creep,
One who's handsome, smart and strong.
One who loves to listen long,
One who thinks before he speaks,
One who'll call, not wait for weeks.
I pray he's gainfully employed,
When I spend his cash, won't be annoyed.
Pulls out my chair and opens my door,
Massages my back and begs to do more.
Oh! Send me a man who'll make love to my mind,
Knows what to answer to "how big is my behind?"
I pray that this man will love me to no end,
And always be my very best friend.

MAN'S PRAYER/POEM

I pray for a woman who's a deaf-mute nymphomaniac,
who owns a liquor store and a nice fishing boat . This
doesn't rhyme and I don't give a ****.

I tend to focus on what I'm doing at the moment, but I'll sometimes have moments where I'll think about other important things, too.

I've read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and many articles on this subject and I've concluded that I think like a man.

TheGoofster said:

What an excellent post! And my DH can think about "nothing" which always amazes me.
What you describe must be why so often I hear men say, Don't worry about that until it happens. But as women we're conjuring up all kinds of scenerios and how everyone and their uncle may be affected. Also, we've all seen the cartoons and stuff that have a man and woman in bed together and the woman is thinking about what to have for dinner the next night and the man is only thinking about the topic at hand. :rotfl:

momof2inPA said:
I've read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus and many articles on this subject and I've concluded that I think like a man.

Well, I haven't read the book but despite the fact that I'm very much a 'girly girl' in many ways my brain works like a man's. I am very messy and disorganized, leave things laying around, can't find an item in the refrigerator even if it's staring me in the face, and I cannot muti-task at all. Now, is that a man or what? Oh, but then again I love browsing at the mall, hate watching TV, cannot sleep during the day, can't figure out the remote, and I hate sports and action movies so maybe I can keep my girly-girl liscense after all.

Know how we talk on the phone, do dishes and other stuff at the same time? MEN can't do that! They are single task animals! We confuse them when we talk to them about more than one thing at a time. They process slowly! Its not their fault, it is how they are wired.

Dunno... :confused3

According to all the women I've known, my only focus in life is to make their lives crazy. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter