Making the most out of the dining plan

jacksmom

DIS Veteran
Just wondering? Which are the top 5 restaurants to make the most of the dining plan? Qs top 5? Ts top 5?

Very subjective

W little kids character meals can be a great value
W older kids maybe not so much

It really comes down to what do you like to eat? Then reviewing lots of online menus to see what intrigues
Then factor in your touring style, I like a midday ts meal. It's more like we like to eat plus the midday rest is lovely
Others want a late night signature dinner

Same w qs. Are you looking for quality over quantity? Or the biggest pile of mediocre food you can find

One thing to not do is underestimate travel time. Using disney transportation allow resort to resort travel 60-90 minutes
Resort to park 60 minutes

Between waiting for the transportation, travel time, security, it is not quick. A few exceptions like Epcot resorts to Epcot is quicker

So there is no magic answer.

Just wondering? Which are the top 5 restaurants to make the most of the dining plan? Qs top 5? Ts top 5?
If you’re trying to make the most out of it, you might want to consider that it may not be worthwhile if you have to stick to a specific, value-oriented plan in order to make the most of it.

Eat better meals than you would have selected for OOP, savings is prevalent. If you are accustomed to eating lower cost food to save money, then the plan does not work. We prefer to eat more expensive food so it works for us, and we save money.

We really would never be able to eat CS meals all week and the addition of the alcoholic beverage to the dining plan intrigues us. It is vacation after all! We don’t want a lot of character meals (maybe a breakfast). We have a 12 yo dd.
I was really wondering which restaurants on the dinning plan would give us more of an upscale experience on a dinning plan that does not involve using 2 credits along with the possibility of a QS meal that doesn’t involve burger, nuggets, fries etc. So, for us it’s not so much monetary value, but enjoyment value.

We really would never be able to eat CS meals all week and the addition of the alcoholic beverage to the dining plan intrigues us. It is vacation after all! We don’t want a lot of character meals (maybe a breakfast). We have a 12 yo dd.
I was really wondering which restaurants on the dinning plan would give us more of an upscale experience on a dinning plan that does not involve using 2 credits along with the possibility of a QS meal that doesn’t involve burger, nuggets, fries etc. So, for us it’s not so much monetary value, but enjoyment value.

I think just about any of the EP TS restaurants are a good enjoyment value. Coral Reef probably has the closest to signature type food. Skipper's Canteen in MK has some very good and different options as well. The ambiance isn't quite signature, but it's fun and the food is some of the best I've had at WDW.

As for QS, you almost have to hunt for the burgers, nuggets, and fries. All the parks have great QS. Again, EP world showcase has the most variety. Tangeriene Cafe is one of our favorites there. Satu'li at AK is probably the best QS on property at the moment. We liked Fairfax Fare at HS.

When and in what context are adult beverages included with the dining plan. Intrigued

When and in what context are adult beverages included with the dining plan. Intrigued

Every QS and every TS purchased by anyone over 21 is entitled to an alcoholic beverage, if available at the point of purchase. Some MK restaurants do not have alcohol, but all other parks, resorts, and DS places have some kind of alcoholic drink on their menu.

We really would never be able to eat CS meals all week and the addition of the alcoholic beverage to the dining plan intrigues us. It is vacation after all! We don’t want a lot of character meals (maybe a breakfast). We have a 12 yo dd. I was really wondering which restaurants on the dinning plan would give us more of an upscale experience on a dinning plan that does not involve using 2 credits along with the possibility of a QS meal that doesn’t involve burger, nuggets, fries etc. So, for us it’s not so much monetary value, but enjoyment value.

Oh, well that's another question entirely. I like Marrakesh in Epcot. You get a dinner show featuring a belly dancer. That's an experience not available where I'm from. Ohana for dinner is a unique experience, and in my experience the food has been great. Skipper Canteen is fun in a corny sort of way; again, very different from anything I get at home. It doesn't get a lot of love, but the Crystal Palace, with all the glass, and right in the Magic Kingdom? Oh, yeah, baby! It is a character meal, but you can interact or not as you see fit. For CS, the resort may have a more varied menu than the park establishments, which tend to specialize. We're afternoon break people, so we're heading back to the resort anyway. Otherwise, CS at any of the countries in Epcot will give you something other than what you think of as standard fast food. We tried BOG lunch on the last trip, and that was nice.

I would try to do a Signature restaurant everyday. If you eat a good breakfast or an early lunch it should be plenty of foot to keep you full until dinner. I would check out the signature themes you would like to try the most, and also use it as an excuse to visit other resorts. I really have enjoyed Jiko, California Grill, Narcossee, and the Hoop De Doo Review myself. I would try to limit buffets and family style meals as you will get plenty of food throughout the day. I love the deluxe dining plan as it adds some great experiences to your trip and the cost is already paid for. I made some mistakes my first time though as it seemed we spent a lot of time in restaurants and went to places when we were not hungry. Also make sure you save up for the tips as they can add up quickly.

I would try to do a Signature restaurant everyday. If you eat a good breakfast or an early lunch it should be plenty of foot to keep you full until dinner. I would check out the signature themes you would like to try the most, and also use it as an excuse to visit other resorts. I really have enjoyed Jiko, California Grill, Narcossee, and the Hoop De Doo Review myself. I would try to limit buffets and family style meals as you will get plenty of food throughout the day. I love the deluxe dining plan as it adds some great experiences to your trip and the cost is already paid for. I made some mistakes my first time though as it seemed we spent a lot of time in restaurants and went to places when we were not hungry. Also make sure you save up for the tips as they can add up quickly.

This is a great plan if you're doing the DxDDP, but I think OP is asking about the regular DDP. Signatures are usually not a good financial value for regular DDP credits as there's almost no way to get $80 worth of food and drink at most of them.

I would definetly say do the Hoop de Doo Review if its still 1 credit, it was a few years ago when we saw it.

Thanks for the great input. Is there a standout restaurant at Downtown Disney?

This is a great plan if you're doing the DxDDP, but I think OP is asking about the regular DDP. Signatures are usually not a good financial value for regular DDP credits as there's almost no way to get $80 worth of food and drink at most of them.

Oops..You are right. I totally mis-read that as making the most out of the deluxe plan. Thanks for pointing that out as this advice would not work for the regular dining plan obviously. :(

Well we are doing regular dining the week we are there with my 3 year old gd. we will have 7 ts credits and our plan is,
Hollywood and vine breakfast 1TS, CRT 2TS, Narcosse 2TS, (Pay out of Pocket for the Child Meal) Tusker House Breakfast 1 TS. And still have one TS left which we are undecided on.

Well we are doing regular dining the week we are there with my 3 year old gd. we will have 7 ts credits and our plan is,
Hollywood and vine breakfast 1TS, CRT 2TS, Narcosse 2TS, (Pay out of Pocket for the Child Meal) Tusker House Breakfast 1 TS. And still have one TS left which we are undecided on.

Since you are paying OOP for the kid meal at Narcoossee, what will you do with those 2 kid credits?

Convert to snacks, or QS. I can see her getting the $13 dollar flat iron steak. THats the same price as most QS meals. Or snacks she can eat in the park. She LOVES her popcorn!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter