Making the Most of Mid-March with the Mouse! 6d, 7n of OOP *3/21 CP & Afternoon Tea*

MissTeacher

Waiting for Prince Charming
March 2012 Dining Review Report

I will be traveling to the World in mid-March for a week of fun with Mickey and the gang! I’m a high school teacher and major foodie, so expect lots of pictures and details, especially when it comes to the good stuff ;)

The cast:

Me- Courtney, 20-something teacher :teacher:, single *sobs * :sad1: , waiting for my Prince Charming ☺ I’ve been to WDW about 7 times (I have a horrible memory! I can remember seven trips, but it’s possible there were more when I was a young child), but I’ve never had enough time there! Seriously, I have recurring nightmares about being at Disney and running out of time. I’ve had this dream at least ten times, no joke. I’m hoping that seven days with the Mouse will put my nightmares to rest for good ☺

DM- my mom, kindergarten teacher extraordinaire :teacher:, went to WDW in its inaugural year and loved it ever since, picky eater ><

Tiffany- one of my best friends from college, she may be on DIS haha guess we will find out if she stumbles upon this DR; Disney addict like me, celebrating her recent engagement! (Her fiancée, close friend, parents, and grandmother will also be joining us)

We’re staying offsite ☹ Kind of sad, but it saves us a ton of money!

Side note: I applied for a Disney Visa Credit Card a few months ago during an extra awesome promotion and got the card along with a $200 Disney gift card, so my mom and I plan to do a little extra splurging (not sure the rest of the gang will join us for everything). Anyway, without further ado, here are the dining plans for the vacation!

Quick List:
Day 1- Travel/DTD/MK
Earl of Sandwich- L
‘Ohana- D
Day 2- Magic Kingdom Day
Crystal Palace- B
Garden View Lounge- L
Columbia Harbor House- D
Day 3- Animal Kingdom/ Hollywood Studios
Flame Tree Barbecue- L
Dinner at house
Day 4- Epcot
Les Chefs De France- L
Via Napoli- D
Day 5- Hollywood Studios
Sci-Fi Dine-In- L
50s Prime Time- D
Day 6- Epcot
Le Cellier- L
Day 7- MK
Sleepy Hollow- L
Ghirardelli- Snack

Up Next: Elaborations on why each was chosen, what I plan to splurge on, etc.

Day 1-
Dinner at ‘Ohana- I changed my Day 1/ Day 2 plans several times before finally settling on this one. I never really planned on ‘Ohana at all because my mom is coming along with me, and she is a very picky eater. Also, I was worried it was rather expensive for a meal that she probably won’t like. HOWEVER, I decided to check our arrival day dinner options on WDW’s website last night, and lo and behold, there was a dinner opening for Ohana that Sunday night at 6:25. 20+ days out, I just couldn’t resist. If worse comes to worst, I will pay for mom’s meal as a token of gratitude for her coming on the trip with me!

Even though I’ve read some negative reviews about ‘Ohana today on the boards, I am really excited to eat there! First of all, I’ve never even been to any of the resorts besides the All-Star resorts. Secondly, I love trying new foods and just eating food in general. We have a Brazilian steakhouse near where I live that seems pretty similar to the way ‘Ohana operates, and I love it, so that just adds to my anticipation.

Day 2-
Breakfast at Crystal Palace- I’ve never done a character breakfast before, so I was more than willing to try it after my friend Tiffany suggested it. She likes going to CP for character breakfast because it is cheaper than most of the other ones, and it gets you into MK early. We have pre-opening ressies for that morning.

Dinner at Columbia Harbor House- I have heard nothing but good reviews about this place, so I’m going to give it a try. My mom and I are big seafood fans, so this should be a hit with us. I’m planning to share the shrimp platter with DM, as we people watch from the second-story dining area.

Day 3-
Lunch at Yak&Yeti- I don’t want to ruin my appetite for dinner on this day, so I am thinking I will just go for CS at Animal Kingdom. **This changed to Flame Tree BBQ**

Dinner at 50s Prime Time Café- I am sooooo excited for this ADR. I really should have lived during the 40s/50s, so I know I’m going to love the whole theming behind the restaurant. I will certainly be requesting a table with a tv, so I can watch “Leave it to Beaver” and the “Dick Van Dyke Show.” I plan on ordering the Iceberg Lettuce Wedge and sharing the Sampling of Mom’s Favorite Recipes with my DM. Uh-oh, I do NOT like veges, so this could get AWKWARD. **Moved this to HS Day**

Day 4-
Lunch at Chefs de France- My mom majored in French in college, and she’s always wanted to go to France, but that just hasn’t happened for her yet. Therefore, we will do the next-best thing: Epcot France! I plan on getting the Croque monsieur with a salad. I want to try the Onion Soup, but considering I don’t even like onions, that would probably be a ridiculous choice. My mom will probably order it though, so I will at least be able to try it!

Dinner at La Hacienda- Ughh I keep changing this one! I'm going to leave it this time though. Looking forward to some Mexican food while at Epcot :) **Changed this to Via Napoli**

Day 5-
Lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-In- This is one of the few restaurants on this Dining Report that I’ve actually dined at before (I usually always do CS when I’m there), and I am really excited to go back! Definitely looking forward to eating the gazillion calorie Picnic Burger, or well, sharing it with DM ☺ Like I said earlier, I’m a sucker for 1950s-ish themes, so that just adds to my love for this place.

Dinner at Mama Melrose's- I changed this from Pizza Planet, but I guess there will still be a pizza option for my mom. I'm leaning toward the gnocchi though! **Cancelled this and replaced with 50's**

Day 6-
Lunch at Le Cellier- Wow, I LOVE cheese, and I LOVE steak, so this place should be Heaven for me. It goes without saying that I’ll be ordering the Cheddar Cheese Soup, and I plan on sharing the NY Strip with DM. (Sharing is the theme of this vacation, can you tell?) I’m REALLY excited for this ADR, and I hope it lives up to all of the hype!

Dinner at Raglan Road- St. Patrick's Day Eve, need I say more? Going to try the appetizer sampler for sure! **Cancelled this-- biggest regret of the week!**

Day 7-

Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare- I just added this character breakfast today. I decided to make our last day dedicated to MK instead of going back to DTD later that day. Super excited about meeting Mary Poppins and crew!! **Cancelled**

Sleepy Hollow- This was totally an unexpected choice, but after seeing the menu on Allears, I knew I just had to try a sweet and spicy chicken waffle sammie. Even if it’s horrible, which I doubt it will be to me, I still have to try it out.

Via Napoli- PIZZA, I'm excited to get pizza from Via Napoli! It will be a nice little finish to the vacation. I know it supposedly takes forever to get from MK to Epcot, but if we haven't experienced most of the attractions by the seventh day, then it's a little too late anyway :) **Changed to Day 4**

Any suggestions or comments so far? I’d love to hear what you have to say about my choices!

Up Next: Will I change the plans around yet again?? Countdown continues!

3 weeks from tonight, I'll be bringing you a live dining report from 'Ohana!

I also wanted to add that during this vacation, I will be attempting to eat for less than $250, with one quick service and one table service each day (tentative). Here's to hoping the next three weeks fly by!

Looking forward to your reviews. My DS really wants to try that chicken/waffle sandwich as well so we will especially interested in your thoughts on that!

Have a great trip!

Looking forward to your reviews. My DS really wants to try that chicken/waffle sandwich as well so we will especially interested in your thoughts on that!

Have a great trip!

Thank you so much! I will be sure to let you guys know how the waffle sammie is. I was sad when I thought I was going to miss out on Trail's End Chicken and Waffles (it didn't really fit into our schedule anywhere), but then when I saw Sleepy Hollow's menu, I got excited again! :D

Do as the Irish do, right?!

Last night, after looking at the WDW dinner options for March 16, I realized I could not possibly go to the World during St. Patrick's Day weekend and not eat some Irish food. Fortunately, there was a lovely dinner opening for that evening, so I am switching my plans around a bit for that day. Instead of going for CS at Sunshine Seasons, my DM and I will be dining at Raglan Road. I'm really excited about this new ADR! Now to decide what to order...

Do as the Irish do, right?!

Now to decide what to order...

The best items we have encountered are the shepherds pie, burger, scallop forest (appetizer) and Ger's Bread and Butter Pudding dessert. I did not care for the It's Not Bleedin' Chowder either time I had it. It gets rave reviews, and I figured I had tried it on a bad night the first time...disliked it the same the second time.

I'm not sure corned beef is on their everyday menu, but I think they'd have it for St. Patrick's Day, if you want that kind of thing.

Enjoy! The entertainment is great, and I imagine the atmosphere will be extra special that weekend!

The best items we have encountered are the shepherds pie, burger, scallop forest (appetizer) and Ger's Bread and Butter Pudding dessert. I did not care for the It's Not Bleedin' Chowder either time I had it. It gets rave reviews, and I figured I had tried it on a bad night the first time...disliked it the same the second time.

I'm not sure corned beef is on their everyday menu, but I think they'd have it for St. Patrick's Day, if you want that kind of thing.

Enjoy! The entertainment is great, and I imagine the atmosphere will be extra special that weekend!

Thanks so much! :)

I am leaning toward getting the appetizer for two for DM and me: dalkey duo, scallop forest, heaven on earth (ribs), and drunk chicken skewers. And then also maybe some Garlic Parmesan Skinny chips :D I've also read nonstop praise of the bread pudding, so that may be a choice too!

I think St. Patrick's Day weekend will be a blast. I even bought light up shamrock earrings to wear around Downtown Disney haha

Last night I changed my Epcot Day dinner plans from CS at Rose and Crown Pub to Beaches and Cream. Is this a good choice for a)quality food, b)decent prices, and c)good location as far as going to and from Epcot in the evening? Are there any different TS options at Epcot that I should choose over B&C?

I've been changing my ADRs yet again! This time I'm leaving them exactly like this though....*fingers crossed* :goodvibes

I'm following! Sounds like an awesome line-up of meals. We're eating at some of the same places you are - 'Ohana, Crystal Palace, Yak & Yeti, Sunshine Seasons, Sci-Fi Dine-In. We're going in March as well - will be interesting to see how our experiences compare. Hope your mom likes 'Ohana - our picky oldest DD liked it so much we do this one every time. There's so much food that comes at you there that I think she'll find food she will like. :thumbsup2

I'm kind of glad you decided to skip B&C. Especially when there are so many wonderful options in Epcot. I've never been to B&C, so maybe that's not really fair of me, but it's a soda fountain/sandwich shop, which certainly has its charm for a long trip or if you're staying at BC/YC. I personally wouldn't leave Epcot to eat there! I hope you enjoy La Hacienda!

I'm following! Sounds like an awesome line-up of meals. We're eating at some of the same places you are - 'Ohana, Crystal Palace, Yak & Yeti, Sunshine Seasons, Sci-Fi Dine-In. We're going in March as well - will be interesting to see how our experiences compare. Hope your mom likes 'Ohana - our picky oldest DD liked it so much we do this one every time. There's so much food that comes at you there that I think she'll find food she will like. :thumbsup2

That's awesome that we'll be there at the same time! And thanks for following along. I'm really excited for everything, especially 'Ohana! Even though my mom is picky, she will tell me she enjoys it even if she doesn't haha. That's just the kind of mother she is- doesn't like to let down her baby girl! :rotfl: I think she will honestly like it though!

I'm kind of glad you decided to skip B&C. Especially when there are so many wonderful options in Epcot. I've never been to B&C, so maybe that's not really fair of me, but it's a soda fountain/sandwich shop, which certainly has its charm for a long trip or if you're staying at BC/YC. I personally wouldn't leave Epcot to eat there! I hope you enjoy La Hacienda!

Ya know, I had seen SO many positive reviews of B&C, and I was looking for somewhere affordable OOP, but then I kept looking around and decided on staying in the park. I want to make the most of my time but have good food too. La Hacienda appears to get good reviews too, so I think I'm set!

Background info: I still live at home with my dad (hey, it saves a ton of money!), and I really value his advice and suggestions, especially when it comes to spending money. He's the best at saving and being smart financially. Today I asked him how much money he thought would be appropriate to spend on food per day, and he gave me a number- a much higher number than I had been planning on.

So now I am super ready to splurge without guilt! So excited that I added another ADR...snacks/tea at Garden View Lounge in the middle of our first MK day on Monday. I figured a little break in the heart of the day would be welcome for Mom and me. Plus, my mom loves tea (And she doesn't know about this one), so it will be a nice little surprise for her!

OK guys, I have my final ADRs done, and I'm not going to let myself change them around again *knock on wood*

Two weeks to go!!:dance3:

Filled in my last possible dining spot with Via Napoli. I've read so many good things about this place and its pizza, so there you have it.

Ohana in 11 days!!!

Your plans sound great - can't wait to read about your dining experiences very soon. You must be getting really excited now :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter