• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Making Salsa?

fkj2

DIS Veteran
Has anyone made their own salsa? Not looking for anything too hot or spicey. Looks like I may get a good crop of tomatoes this year and I'm looking for canning ideas.

TIA.

I have one that my family likes.

Dice up a few tomatoes, white onion and pick a small bunch of cilantro leaves. Put these in a bowl with some white vinegar for at least one hour.

Put this mixture in a strainer and add 4 large cans of plain diced tomatoes and 2 cans Rotel to the strainer. Drain as much liquid as possible.

Put whole thing through a food processor to the consistency you wish, adding kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. I also use red pepper flakes and use the rotel with habeneros for heat. The combination of fresh and canned is great for both texture and taste.

Hope this helps!

I think preserving tomatoes is quite a problem. Most salsas are not suitable for freezing and only keep a little while in the fridge. How about passata or pasta sauce?

In 2008 when we first tried and actually succeeded in having a small garden, I made fresh salsa a couple of times. I thought the flavors were best when roasting the veggies (tomatoes, peppers, garlic--whole cloves) in the oven first--grill skillet with oven proof handle, olive oil and bake at 375-400 until the skins are starting to char. Peel and seed (or not) and put all ingredients in food processor. You can use as many peppers as you want.

The seeds really add heat so leave them out if you don't want it as hot.

Also, I used fresh cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice and salt.

Sorry I can't help you with the canning although I would think you could can it just like any other veggie in a pressure canner.

Good luck!

I make what is probably more like pico de gallo (fresh salsa) with tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic salt and lime juice. Every once in a while I'll dice up some fresh peaches and add to it just for something different. My next experiment will be mango!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter