Making Rental Car Reservations

2-4me

Earning My Ears
What is the earliest you would reserve a rental car? Would three months out be too early?

I've always booked ours as soon as I have booked the cruise (a year in advance most times). We've sailed with other people before that didn't book the cruise until after us, and the rental car prices had gone up quite a bit. If you know when you need the rental car, I'd book as soon as you can.

I always book early and rebook/ cancel if I find a better rate later on.:thumbsup2

I always book early and rebook/ cancel if I find a better rate later on.:thumbsup2

Ditto...and this happens more than you might think. I always recheck the rates and will rebook and then cancel the original if I find a better rate.

We booked ours for our January dates a month or 2 ago - found a great rate so made the reservations - if I find a lower rate I will cancel and book again. Most rental car companies do not require a credit card # to hold the reservation so it is easy to book and cancel as needed.

Booked through Alamo many many months ago and just checked the site to see if the price has changed and if I was just booking now I would be paying almost $100 more for the week I have it booked (Nov 3rd). When I initially booked, anything between 3 and 7 days ws all the same price so we went for the week since the 4 extra days were bonus. I since got a code and addes to get it bumped from economy to compact ... even better.

Lesson being that not only can you rebook if you find a better rate, you may be lucky and have locked in a deal you won't get later.

I follow the same rule with rental cars, and precruise hotels. Book immediately what I want, then watch for lower prices over the remaining months. We booked rental car and hotel 11 months out. The hotel has dropped its rate twice (our 2nd choice of hotel is now booked solid). The rental car has really gone up in price!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter