Making Her Wishes Come True: Surprise Proposal Trip!

I want to thank everyone for the well wishes yesterday it really made my day better after the huge letdown that I couldn't book my ADRs. I'm actually on-call for work this month, so this morning I was able to parlay that into sneaking outside on the guise of a work related call to call the reservations hotline. The result as you see in the title is that ADRs are made! :cool1:

Monday
  • 'Ohana @ 6:35 (Time to eat then get ready for Wishes :goodvibes )

Tuesday
  • Be Our Guest @ 6:30 (Couldn't get California grill, story below)

Wednesday
  • Jiko - The cooking place @ 6:20 (So excited to try this new one)

Thursday
  • Via Napoli @ 6:20

Friday
  • Chefs de France @ 12:30 (Rounds out everything perfectly)

I was told I cannot book California Grill for Tuesday because they do not have a solid re-open date for it yet since it's under renovations. This is a huge bummer for me considering it was probably the #2 most important restaurant of the trip. I KNOW she will love Be Our Guest if we get stuck with that, since Beauty and the Beast is her favorite movie. Plus, this will give us more time in Magic Kingdom that night. I'm going to keep trying for California Grill though. I cannot express how bad I want to eat there.

I'm you were able to sneak out this morning with out setting off any red flags. I'm sorry you couldn't get a California Grill ADR, but hopefully you will be able to book it. Being seated at CG, at a window table during Wishes is truly one of my all time favorite memories. As far as food goes, it's tied with Le Cellier as far as favorite meals of that trip. Although I think I over did it on the goat cheese. It was the first time I had eaten goat cheese and had it in my appetizer and entree. I had some wicked heart burn later.

Your reservations look awesome! You are going to most of the restaurants I am considering for November. Fingers crossed for California Grill!!

Thanks for the props. :) My fingers are crossed for California Grill as well.

I'm you were able to sneak out this morning with out setting off any red flags. I'm sorry you couldn't get a California Grill ADR, but hopefully you will be able to book it. Being seated at CG, at a window table during Wishes is truly one of my all time favorite memories. As far as food goes, it's tied with Le Cellier as far as favorite meals of that trip. Although I think I over did it on the goat cheese. It was the first time I had eaten goat cheese and had it in my appetizer and entree. I had some wicked heart burn later.

I'm happy I was able to sneak out as well. It was kind of touch and go for a little bit there, but I was able to pull it off. I really hope they open up reservations soon for CG. On the website it says it will re-open August 31st so I'm going to be keeping an eye out for it.

It looks like I'm going to be able to make my reservation for the Wild Africa Trek tomorrow morning! Hopefully I'll have an update for you guys with that tomorrow. :thumbsup2

Glad you were able to make the ressies without too much trouble.
Good Luck booking California Grill. Put it on speed dial and try every day on your way to work. ;) Worth a shot! :)

Glad you were able to make the ressies without too much trouble.
Good Luck booking California Grill. Put it on speed dial and try every day on your way to work. ;) Worth a shot! :)

I would except that 90% of the time she car pools with me since her school is 5 mins from my workplace.

GREAT NEWS!

I was able to book the Wild Africa Trek this morning! I now have everything booked: Hotel, ADRs, and now the Wild Africa Trek. The only major expense I have left to make before I show up is tickets! I'm going to call the Trek people over my lunch to start working with them to see how we can pull off this proposal.

Now comes the worst part... waiting 179 days for it to get here. :sad1:

Awww yay! Can't wait to hear what they are willing to work out for the proposal! I hope someone can videotape it for you! How exciting! :hyper: I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't book CG, but I'm glad to hear you were able to get a reasonable dinner time for BOG. We are going to try to get dinner for a party of ten at our 180 mark next week, and I'm really nervous about it! Especially since we'll have to call since it's a large party!

I would except that 90% of the time she car pools with me since her school is 5 mins from my workplace.

GREAT NEWS!

I was able to book the Wild Africa Trek this morning! I now have everything booked: Hotel, ADRs, and now the Wild Africa Trek. The only major expense I have left to make before I show up is tickets! I'm going to call the Trek people over my lunch to start working with them to see how we can pull off this proposal.

You know what would be really cute...if you were some how able to get a set of the bride Mickey ears to the Wild Africa Trek people. When you get to the part where you eat, they present them to her. That is when you drop to one knee and ask her to marry you.

Awww yay! Can't wait to hear what they are willing to work out for the proposal! I hope someone can videotape it for you! How exciting! :hyper: I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't book CG, but I'm glad to hear you were able to get a reasonable dinner time for BOG. We are going to try to get dinner for a party of ten at our 180 mark next week, and I'm really nervous about it! Especially since we'll have to call since it's a large party!

I can't wait to start working it out with them. Unfortunately both times I called today they were busy and I didn't get to speak with them. I did leave a message, but I plan on calling pretty much every day until I speak to someone so that we can start hashing out plans.

Good luck getting your reservation for BOG! To be honest around 6:30p was my first choice and was surprised I got it. However it is supposed to be a slow day at MK that day since the park closes at 7pm before MNNSHP.

You know what would be really cute...if you were some how able to get a set of the bride Mickey ears to the Wild Africa Trek people. When you get to the part where you eat, they present them to her. That is when you drop to one knee and ask her to marry you.

That does sound very cute! The only problem I have with this is she really isn't into the whole Mickey ears thing. If she was, I think we would have a winner, but since she isn't I'm going to have to consider other things. I really like that idea though, it's simple and would be easy to pull off. I might end up using it. :thumbsup2

That does sound very cute! The only problem I have with this is she really isn't into the whole Mickey ears thing. If she was, I think we would have a winner, but since she isn't I'm going to have to consider other things. I really like that idea though, it's simple and would be easy to pull off. I might end up using it. :thumbsup2

If she's not into the Mickey ears...on the Disney online store you can customize t-shirts. You could pick one of the ones where Mickey and Minnie are kissing or they even have one where they are dressed as a bride and groom. Under the picture, it can say "Just Engaged". Then you could do the same with the Mickey ears. Figure a way to get it to one of the Wild Africa Trek CMs who will then give it to her when you go to eat.

:headache: :lmao: You guys "might" be a little too close to pull off such a big secret! :rotfl:

Good Luck getting the Cali. Guess you'll have to call on your lunch break.

Unless you guys meet for lunch working so close?

What am I saying. You're young. And in love. You meet for lunch, don't you??

Okay, maybe you can call on a potty break.
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

GREAT NEWS!

Oooh, you do have a lunch break to yourself. :yay: You're going to pull this all off yet.
And maybe they will have some cute ideas for you!!! I'm sure they've handled surprises before and who wouldn't want to be part of a surprise proposal?!!

:headache: :hourglass Good Luck with the wait. It will go faster than you think. Make sure Disney gets lots of awesome photos for you!!! We need to see the whole thing!

:headache: :hourglass Good Luck with the wait. It will go faster than you think. Make sure Disney gets lots of awesome photos for you!!! We need to see the whole thing!

Definitely agee about lots of photos...mostly because I will want to see :rotfl2:
Do you think it would be possible for them to arrange a photo pass photographer to be there to take photos (not sure if that is allowed but would be awesome).

If she's not into the Mickey ears...on the Disney online store you can customize t-shirts. You could pick one of the ones where Mickey and Minnie are kissing or they even have one where they are dressed as a bride and groom. Under the picture, it can say "Just Engaged". Then you could do the same with the Mickey ears. Figure a way to get it to one of the Wild Africa Trek CMs who will then give it to her when you go to eat.

I really like the shirts idea. To be honest I was already planning on buying us shirts for this trip from RedBubble based on UP! which is one of our favorite movies as a couple. You can see the shirt designs as follows: For her and For me. I'm definitely going to check out those ones online though!

I sure hope you're right about it going quickly. I'm sure Disney will get lots of pictures as they have someone dedicated just to that task go along with the Trek and then you get all of those pictures for 'free' included with the Trek price a couple weeks after you do it. :goodvibes

Definitely agee about lots of photos...mostly because I will want to see :rotfl2:
Do you think it would be possible for them to arrange a photo pass photographer to be there to take photos (not sure if that is allowed but would be awesome).

Pictures is definitely something I'm not worried about actually. As part of the Wild Africa Trek they have a guide with their whole job just to take pictures of the group. Then you get those sent to you in a CD two weeks after the Trek is over. So we'll get them about a week or so after being home since we are doing the Trek early in the trip. :)

I really like the shirts idea. To be honest I was already planning on buying us shirts for this trip from RedBubble based on UP! which is one of our favorite movies as a couple. You can see the shirt designs as follows: For her and For me. I'm definitely going to check out those ones online though!

I sure hope you're right about it going quickly. I'm sure Disney will get lots of pictures as they have someone dedicated just to that task go along with the Trek and then you get all of those pictures for 'free' included with the Trek price a couple weeks after you do it. :goodvibes

Pictures is definitely something I'm not worried about actually. As part of the Wild Africa Trek they have a guide with their whole job just to take pictures of the group. Then you get those sent to you in a CD two weeks after the Trek is over. So we'll get them about a week or so after being home since we are doing the Trek early in the trip. :)

Awww, cute t-shirts. I love Up! Such an awesome movie!
I'm glad you won't have to worry about the pix (and that we won't have to wait long to see them :rolleyes1). :yay:

It's a great day!

Good morning everyone! There are about three or four factors that are making my morning so great this morning. I JUST, as in a few seconds ago, bought my park tickets from Undercover Tourist and should have those in hands within the next two weeks! :woohoo: I got to talk a lovely lady by the name of Brittany from the Wild Africa Trek yesterday about the proposal and she says they have helped other people with this type of 'event' before (I figured they had). So, they know what they are doing! :banana: It's Friday, sunny and it's going to be a warm 51 degrees here! :)

It's just all starting to slowly come together and I could not be more excited, but I'm sure you guys don't know that feeling. :rolleyes:

Spending/Savings Update

Over the last couple days I've had a couple expenditures that are trip related. I had to pay the full Wild Africa Trek price up front and I also bought my tickets. Just thought I would give you guys an update on where I am so you can help keep me honest on my savings.

The Wild Africa Trek was just over $400 for the both of us since it's not peak season. So, I only transferred $400 out of my savings and reduced my goal by the same amount. Also, the 5 day park hoppers cost me just over $635 so I did the same thing.

If you take my original goal of $2800 - the $1035 that I've spent that leaves me with a goal of $1765. However, I was also paid today, so I was able to transfer over $250 from that so my total saved right now is $875.

Basically what this all means is I have a current budgetary gap of $890 but considering I'm saving at a rate of about $300 a month this means I should have MORE than enough for the trip in about 3 months!! :yay: That's 2 months early and doesn't even take into account the about $300 in Disney gift cards I have squirreled away either. :woohoo:

It's a great day!

Good morning everyone! There are about three or four factors that are making my morning so great this morning. I JUST, as in a few seconds ago, bought my park tickets from Undercover Tourist and should have those in hands within the next two weeks! :woohoo: I got to talk a lovely lady by the name of Brittany from the Wild Africa Trek yesterday about the proposal and she says they have helped other people with this type of 'event' before (I figured they had). So, they know what they are doing! :banana: It's Friday, sunny and it's going to be a warm 51 degrees here! :)

It's just all starting to slowly come together and I could not be more excited, but I'm sure you guys don't know that feeling. :rolleyes:

Spending/Savings Update

Over the last couple days I've had a couple expenditures that are trip related. I had to pay the full Wild Africa Trek price up front and I also bought my tickets. Just thought I would give you guys an update on where I am so you can help keep me honest on my savings.

The Wild Africa Trek was just over $400 for the both of us since it's not peak season. So, I only transferred $400 out of my savings and reduced my goal by the same amount. Also, the 5 day park hoppers cost me just over $635 so I did the same thing.

If you take my original goal of $2800 - the $1035 that I've spent that leaves me with a goal of $1765. However, I was also paid today, so I was able to transfer over $250 from that so my total saved right now is $875.

Basically what this all means is I have a current budgetary gap of $890 but considering I'm saving at a rate of about $300 a month this means I should have MORE than enough for the trip in about 3 months!! :yay: That's 2 months early and doesn't even take into account the about $300 in Disney gift cards I have squirreled away either. :woohoo:

It sounds like the plans are really starting to come together and fall into place. I love when you can pay for things up front. It is so nice to know that it is paid off and you don't have to worry about coming up with the money any longer. It sounds like you are doing great getting ahead of schedule.

So far I have only purchased my plane tickets so I have a lot more saving to do!

Sounds like you're doing a great job on the budgeting.
I love having a trip paid, in full, before I leave. Just makes everything much more fun and relaxing! Keep up the good work!

It's a great day!

Spending/Savings Update

Sounds like everything is coming along really well. Are you going to do a photopass or photopass share for the trip?

It's a great day!

Spending/Savings Update

If you keep up this budgeting organization when you're married, you're golden! :rotfl: Trust me-- my husband is wonderful in every way, but I do wish he paid a little more mind to helping me maintain bills and budgeting every month. :rolleyes2

I'm so excited for you and your plans. It's neat knowing my husband and I will be at Disney at the same time all your plans are coming to fruition, and you're proposing and newly engaged!

Are you purchasing the dining plan with all your ADRs, or paying oop? Or, are you praying and hoping for FD like me? :p

It sounds like the plans are really starting to come together and fall into place. I love when you can pay for things up front. It is so nice to know that it is paid off and you don't have to worry about coming up with the money any longer. It sounds like you are doing great getting ahead of schedule.

So far I have only purchased my plane tickets so I have a lot more saving to do!

I agree about paying up front, it really helped take some of the stress away from planning and worrying about if I have enough saved or not. I'm sure you'll have more stuff taken care of sooner than you think!

Sounds like you're doing a great job on the budgeting.
I love having a trip paid, in full, before I leave. Just makes everything much more fun and relaxing! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I agree. I hope you get things worked out for your trip soon.

Sounds like everything is coming along really well. Are you going to do a photopass or photopass share for the trip?

This is something that I have gone back and forth on this whole time. On one hand I think it would be great to have pre-purchased it, but on the other hand during our last trip none of the photos we got we really liked enough to buy. Not to mention the most important part will be photographed for me for free! I will be bringing a camera, and I'm sure we'll use a photopass, just not sure if I want to buy it before or not.

If you keep up this budgeting organization when you're married, you're golden! :rotfl: Trust me-- my husband is wonderful in every way, but I do wish he paid a little more mind to helping me maintain bills and budgeting every month. :rolleyes2

I'm so excited for you and your plans. It's neat knowing my husband and I will be at Disney at the same time all your plans are coming to fruition, and you're proposing and newly engaged!

Are you purchasing the dining plan with all your ADRs, or paying oop? Or, are you praying and hoping for FD like me? :p

To be honest I wasn't very good about saving my money until our last trip to Disney became an idea. It wasn't until then that I realized how much I could be saving and using that money towards more fun things instead of spending it on silly stuff I'll use once or twice.

That's cool that you guys will be there the same time! It's nice hearing from all of the people who will be down there around the same time.

I'll be purchasing all of our food OOP. Before our last trip I ran the numbers and the Dining plan was going to cost us more than paying OOP. Plus I would rather have more things in my control if I can.

I just got all caught up!
Love reading all of the plans. ADRs look great!
Jiko is actually one of those restaurants that I really wanted to go to, but got bumped because, well, we just don't eat that much! Although I have something like 13 ADRs.....

Have they given you any details about how you'll do the actual proposal? Do they have a set "formula" or do you get to decide when you'll do it during the tour?

I just got all caught up!
Love reading all of the plans. ADRs look great!
Jiko is actually one of those restaurants that I really wanted to go to, but got bumped because, well, we just don't eat that much! Although I have something like 13 ADRs.....

Have they given you any details about how you'll do the actual proposal? Do they have a set "formula" or do you get to decide when you'll do it during the tour?

Thanks for catching up with me and the thumbs up on the ADRs. We're actually going to eat at an East African cuisine restaurant tonight that for me is like a tester to see about the flavors I can expect at Jiko. If it doesn't go over well, I may be changing that one. However, I think it will be good and my ADRs will be staying how they are right now.

As far as the proposal itself, it will take place towards the end of the Trek that looks like this:
5489265980_79ca8281c3_z.jpg

This platform overlooks the savanna that you ride on for Kilamanjaro Safari and it's also where they feed you at the end of the Trek. There is the main platform which you can see in this picture and then an auxiliary platform off to the side where you can see a different set of animals. Basically, when it comes time the guides will get everyone to one side or the other by saying, "Oh hey come check out the animals over here!" Hannah and I will stay behind and that's when I'll do it. That way it can be private. Either that or I'll just do it spontaneously in front of everyone. In both scenarios it will have to be on that platform though. The guide will also have to secure the ring for me during most of the Trek as well since I won't be able to keep anything on me.

My updates are probably going to be few and far between these next few weeks as I try and keep the planning out of my head. I'm really hoping this will help time move faster since I already have pretty much everything taken care of. I hope you guys don't lose interest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter