Making an Autograph Quilt ... Need help!

tnmom25

Dreams Don't Work Unless You Do!
How would you take the squares to the parks for the characters to sign? Should I put them in an embroidery hoop, clipboard...?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think a smaller style embroidery hoop would be ideal....it would hold the fabric tight, as well as still.:thumbsup2

How would you take the squares to the parks for the characters to sign? Should I put them in an embroidery hoop, clipboard...?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

wow, what an undertaking, would love to see your finished project. I think small embroidery hoop would work. Have a really good sharpie for them to use, fatter the better, its hard to grip those flimsy pens ;)
Have a great trip and good luck!!!

I did this on our trip a year ago. I used some clip boards that are in a binder like container. i think it came with with some markers in them from either target or walmart. i took the makers out. It is a clip board on one side and is probably an inch or so deep. I cut out the squares and just had them clipped in there and as the characters signed I moved those to the back. Every morning i would check my supply and take out the used and reload. I used some markers from the fabric store that are acid free. They were a finer point but worked fine. The characters had no problem signing the squares.
Good luck...it was fun

I also did this for my son's first trip to Disney a couple years ago. I used denim squares cut in 6 x 6 size so that would leave me plenty of border to sew together. I then taped with masking tape around the edges so the characters signing would stay within the border and I wouldn't loose any of the autograph. I used a 2 Gallon sized ziploc bags to help keep them separated. I put the unsigned in one bag and then when it was sign it went into the other bag. That way in the florida rain they were protected in case of a flash rainstorm.

For the characters to bear on I used a small clipboard. It was easy for them to hold and easy to slide inside the Gallon bag when not in use.

I used Sharpie Fabric Markers so that they wouldn't fade in the wash.

Be sure to try out your markers ahead of time. Not all markers are as waterproof as you would expect them to be. Also some will bleed when writing on fabric.

We just got back in December and I took 6 by 6 fabric squares for the characters to sign. I put a cardboard square down first, then the fabric then a cardboard frame around the square for the seam allowances, then clipped all three things together. I put one square in at a time for the characters to sign. I used fabric pens and then will heat set each square prior to sewing them.

Thank you all so much!!! I think with all of these tips combined, I can make it work!

I would use freezer paper as a mobilizer, you can iron it right to most fabrics to stiffen them, tape around the outside edges for seam allowance, and then use a clip board. I would store them in a ziploc bag to protect them from moisture while in the parks :) Good luck!!

I did this on our trip a year ago. I used some clip boards that are in a binder like container. i think it came with with some markers in them from either target or walmart. i took the makers out. It is a clip board on one side and is probably an inch or so deep. I cut out the squares and just had them clipped in there and as the characters signed I moved those to the back. Every morning i would check my supply and take out the used and reload. I used some markers from the fabric store that are acid free. They were a finer point but worked fine. The characters had no problem signing the squares.
Good luck...it was fun

I also did this for my son's first trip to Disney a couple years ago. I used denim squares cut in 6 x 6 size so that would leave me plenty of border to sew together. I then taped with masking tape around the edges so the characters signing would stay within the border and I wouldn't loose any of the autograph. I used a 2 Gallon sized ziploc bags to help keep them separated. I put the unsigned in one bag and then when it was sign it went into the other bag. That way in the florida rain they were protected in case of a flash rainstorm.

For the characters to bear on I used a small clipboard. It was easy for them to hold and easy to slide inside the Gallon bag when not in use.

I used Sharpie Fabric Markers so that they wouldn't fade in the wash.

We just got back in December and I took 6 by 6 fabric squares for the characters to sign. I put a cardboard square down first, then the fabric then a cardboard frame around the square for the seam allowances, then clipped all three things together. I put one square in at a time for the characters to sign. I used fabric pens and then will heat set each square prior to sewing them.

I used these ideas in combination several years ago to do this. I used 10 inch squares cut in half on the diagonal and had each character sign two pieces of fabric--just in case. Most all of them got it, but one had trouble grasping exactly what I wanted it. I took two gallon size zippy bags, a clipboard, alligator clips and fabric markers. I could/should have pre-washed the fabric, but I didn't.

Realize that even fabric markers can bleed through to additional fabric behind it so have something (cardboard/cardstock/thick fabric scrap) to back the fabric if you stack multiple pieces your fabric on the clipboard.

100_1897-1.jpg

This is a quilted wall-hanging I did with the autographs. It was a b-day present for my BFF who is a big Disney fan and fellow dis'er

100_1894-1.jpg

This is an upclose shot of the stitching. I free-handed the machine quilting to create mickey heads in it.

I love this idea and may just do it too...if that's okay with you. I am not creative but I can copy like a maniac!!

DH and I are taking our 3 year old Grandson in June for his first visit....and his mom too!!

Great idea!!

Weezyree:banana:

I love this idea and may just do it too...if that's okay with you. I am not creative but I can copy like a maniac!!

DH and I are taking our 3 year old Grandson in June for his first visit....and his mom too!!

Great idea!!

Weezyree

Copy away! I didn't come up with the idea myself! LOL

Jenn, that is too cute! My girls are really excited about this project, so I want to make sure I do it right.

Jenn, that is too cute! My girls are really excited about this project, so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks! I buy almost any Disney fabric I can find. I just bought more Tinkerbell..:rotfl: My DH just looks at me and rolls his eyes.

Do you buy sheets too? I do! LOL But, I never get the nerve to cut into them. This will give me a good reason to use my Disney fabric.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter