• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Making a slideshow on dvd

TheBigQ

Mouseketeer
I am new to all this digitial stuff. I've read a lot of people make dvds of their vacations and I'd like to do this after our May 07 trip. I would also like to include music as well. Any tips on how to get started?

We have 2 digital cameras and a JVC hard drive camcorder. Should we take all the pics and video on cards instead of using the hard drive? Should we buy a special program to create this? We do have a new Dell computer w/a Media Center - maybe we can use that? Thanks for any tips.

Nobody ever answered this, so......

You need a DVD authoring program. There are lots out there and folks have their favorites. For simple stuff, I often use Nero Vision, part of the Nero suite of software that's best known for the CD/DVD burner part. You can get a free 30-day at www.nero.com. There are plenty of others, though, and many come with free trials.

Most let you make slideshows with music and/or convert your video from your camcorder or your digital camera.

For video, you'll probably get much better quality using the camcorder's hard drive rather than using a memory card (in a camera or camcorder).

I don't think WinXP Media Centre Edition will give you much more than regular XP in terms of editing video/creating DVDs.

I can't be sure because I don't own it, but I think I read that Windows Vista has this feature built in now. You may want to look into this.

I've done a lot of research on this and I can tell you what I think. The two best programs that I have used are Photodex Proshow gold and Magix photo on cd\dvd. They are powerful and easy to use. Also proshow has a ton of transitions. If you are looking for a great program to zoom and pan, (sometmes called the Ken Burns effect) I would suggest imaginate from Canopus. This program however only has one transition (fade) and it will only create a file when finished. The other two programs will allow you to burn directly to a DVD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter