• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Making a Custom Shirt

MissMaryQC

DIS Veteran
So, I've been lurking around a few (about 10 :bitelip:) PTRs and TRs, and one of the things I LOVE are the custom shirts!

I've done a quick google search and buying them seems cost prohibited. Does anyone know where I should start if I wanted to make my own? Fair warning; I'm VERY new at crafting, but I seem to be pretty good at it, so far.

Any and all help, advice or tips is greatly appreciated. TIA! :wave2:

So, I've been lurking around a few (about 10 :bitelip:) PTRs and TRs, and one of the things I LOVE are the custom shirts!

I've done a quick google search and buying them seems cost prohibited. Does anyone know where I should start if I wanted to make my own? Fair warning; I'm VERY new at crafting, but I seem to be pretty good at it, so far.

Any and all help, advice or tips is greatly appreciated. TIA! :wave2:
Try the Creative Community Forum. They can assist you in various techniques from tie-dye to computer-printed iron-ons. The Arts & Crafts subforum will probably be your best bet.

hi, are you thinking about printing, sewing or something else
cal:)

Im doing 2 custom shirts for our upcoming trip. One I printed out all the pieces and used a white tshirt so I was able to trace the outline on to the shirt when I put the printed out pages underneath it. Then just bought fabric paint to paint everything. The other shirts are red so I am using an iron on transfer of a design I made in a photo editing program. Haven't tried to iron on the design yet though so I can't say for sure how that worked.

hi, are you thinking about printing, sewing or something else

I'm still a novice at sewing so painting or simple printing (since I've never printed anything from the computer to iron onto a shirt).

Im doing 2 custom shirts for our upcoming trip. One I printed out all the pieces and used a white tshirt so I was able to trace the outline on to the shirt when I put the printed out pages underneath it. Then just bought fabric paint to paint everything. The other shirts are red so I am using an iron on transfer of a design I made in a photo editing program. Haven't tried to iron on the design yet though so I can't say for sure how that worked.

Cool! Where do you find the materials to print and iron on to the shirt?

We got ours at Staples. The package of transfers can be a little pricey--so be sure of the correct way to put it in your printer. We bought our t-shirts at Michaels with coupons--so it was an inexpensive and fun project. :thumbsup2

We got ours at Staples. The package of transfers can be a little pricey--so be sure of the correct way to put it in your printer. We bought our t-shirts at Michaels with coupons--so it was an inexpensive and fun project. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much!

hi, i would wash the red t-shirts before putting on the transfers, in case the dye comes out, or they shrink slightly.

You can also get the Iron On Transfer paper at Michaels and use their 40% off coupon on it. Makes the cost much better!

You can cut a stencil from freezer paper, iron it onto the shirt and paint with fabric paint. The freezer paper stencil peels off and you're left with your design :)

Check out the Creative disigns forum, tons of shirt designs and many of the designers will customize them for you.

If the "crafty avenue" does not work out for you, check out vistaprint.com
We always get our shirts for less than $10 each when on sale or using a discount code. I will admit that the colors are not extremely bold, but you can't beat the cost!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter