• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Makeup Overhaul--Which dept. store brand do you swear by?

meliss8599

DIS Veteran
I just colored my hair very dark and thus need a total makeup overhaul. I'm going to get a makeup makeover at one of the department store cosmetic counters today but would like to know which brand(s) you swear by that I should go with.

MAC? Clinique? Estee Lauder? Which and why?

I guess it's not considered a "department store" brand. But, I use BareMinerals. I get mine at a local spa. I have gotten quite a few comments on my complexion from wearing them and have noticed a difference in facial tone when I switched back to a cream based concealer. My under eye area looked horrendous comparatively. So I switched back to the BareMinerals brand.

A friend of mine took me to Chanel and I love their foundation. A good rep can choose the best color for you. I wear matte as my skin is oily. I love their new tinted mousturizer.

I'm not tied to any brand.

I like:

NARS Blush
Too Faced Mascara
MAC lipgloss
TOO Faced Bronzer
MAC gel liner
STILA, URBAN DECAY, TOO FACED & MAC shadow.

I use www.everydayminerals.com mineral foundation.

If I were you. I'd go to Sephora.

I like the Bare Minerals too. Do you live near a Sephora? They sell lots of different brands there.

Before BM I used Clinique. I went to the store and found the least scary looking person there (why do so many of the make-up counter people look scary - overly made up scary?). She did a good job picking out colors for me.

Smashbox, MAC, and Bare Minerals are my main brands. I use Maybelline mascara. The pink tube with the green wand. I've tried many higher-end brands and I still like Maybelline the best. For skin care, I swear by Philosophy.

<--- another bare minerals user

I buy most of my makeup at Sephora now as I like to mix and match brands. I really really like Lorac eyeshadow as well as Stilla eyeliner.

I'd suggest making an appointment at Sephora (if you have one near you) to have your make up done. They could easily help you pick out a ton of new makeup to match the new hair.

If you have to stick to department stores, I've really liked Lancome foundation in the past as well as MAC eye shadow and liners.

I tend to buy drug store mascara.

MAC is wonderful. Clinique is nice for the cheaper department stores. If you have a Sephora go there. They have tons of brands that you can mix and match. Most people I know do not wear all of one brand with make up. The only thing I refuse to buy from a department store is mascara. Both Cover Girl and Maybelline work great and were more gentle for my contacts than other brands. I don't see the point in spending $15-25 on mascara alone.

So it looks like I'm going to Sephora :goodvibes I'm glad you all jogged my memory about the Bare Minerals makeup--I have always wanted to try it.

Pricewise, what am I looking at?

Another MAC user here. I love everything they have...I use it all!

Have previously tried Clinique and Estee Lauder. Didnt care for Clinique nothing in particular, just didnt care for it, and found Estee Lauder to have a "heavier" feeling.

I also like Sephora's many choices. Unfortunatley, they closed the one nearest to me, and the next closest one is about an hour away:sad2:

So it looks like I'm going to Sephora :goodvibes I'm glad you all jogged my memory about the Bare Minerals makeup--I have always wanted to try it.

Pricewise, what am I looking at?

For my initial purchase which included two bases, warmth, mineral veil, blush, eye liner (powder form), 2 eye shadows, and all the brushes I think I spent right under $100. This has lasted about 8 months.

They usually come in a starter kit. But, when I went to purchase new base makeup they sell individually for $25 and you get a TON of base for that amount. It generally doesn't take much to get a good coverage with this brand and it's really light on your skin.

another BM user here i LOVE it but i have been tempted to try a different brand of mascara other then that it's great and it lasts for a very long time i got the started kits in may and just now had to get more :cheer2:

Shiseido foundation
Nars blush
MAC lipstick
Chanel eyeliner
Bobbi Brown powder
Nars eyeshadow

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/

Here is a link I got from the dis yesterday. Free to join, loads of info from women that have used all of the name brand products in this thread. Also lots of product reviews on this site.

Here is a retail store one that got really good reviews from ones that are use to using big name brands.
Liquid -Revlon - Colorstay makeup with SoftFlex SPF6

BEAUTY BOARDS
Makeup Board: Related Topics of Makeup + Cosmetics (Most Active)
1,135 new topics (9,290 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Bath and Body Board: Related Topics of Bath + Body Products + Spa + Candles (Most Active)
103 new topics (695 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Fragrance Board: Related Topics of Fragrances (Most Active)
102 new topics (943 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Skin Care Board: Related Topics of Skin Care Products + Treatments (Most Active)
157 new topics (731 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Hair Care Board: Related Topics of Hair Care Products + Styling (Most Active)
117 new topics (498 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Fitness Board: Related Topics of Fitness + Wellness + Diet (Most Active)
79 new topics (466 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Nail Care Board: Related Topics: Nail Care (Most Active)
220 new topics (2,341 messages) in the last 24 hours.

FOTD (Face of the Day) Board: Posting + Discussion of FOTD/Makeover Photos (Most Active)
48 new topics (1,188 messages) in the last 24 hours.

Cosmetic Procedures Board: Related Topics Cosmetic Procedures + Enhancements (Most Active)
3 new topics (12 messages) in the last 24 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter