Make inside cabin more comfortable

Jillywilly143

Mouseketeer
My father in law just downgraded his state room to interior, and I feel bad that he had to. Does anyone have any tips on making the best out of an inside cabin?

Having always done balcony or ocean view, I was hesitant to try an inside, but I did last year for the Great Alaskan Running Cruise (I'd done a balcony the year before...the inside forced me out of the cabin to socialize with the group). I was nervous about it, but I had ZERO issues with it at all.

And that was on RCCL's Radiance where there are no magic portholes a la Disney or fake balconies a la some other RCCL ships.

Can he get his cabin close to yours so he can take advantage of your balcony a little easier? Also, is it possible for him to arrive at the port early and check for an upgrade? He may be able to get into a verandah room for not much more than he paid now.

I've never had an inside cabin on a Disney ship but if you're on one with the magic portholes they actually sound really nice. I would imagine it feels a lot less like an inside room when you are able to see a real time view of what's happening outside.

I also like the idea of flowers to freshen up the room a bit. Chances are he won't be in his room much anyway.

Can he get his cabin close to yours so he can take advantage of your balcony a little easier? Also, is it possible for him to arrive at the port early and check for an upgrade? He may be able to get into a verandah room for not much more than he paid now.

I've never had an inside cabin on a Disney ship but if you're on one with the magic portholes they actually sound really nice. I would imagine it feels a lot less like an inside room when you are able to see a real time view of what's happening outside.

I also like the idea of flowers to freshen up the room a bit. Chances are he won't be in his room much anyway.
We had a virtual porthole on our Dream cruise. It felt like an inside room. Intellectually, I knew that was just a computer monitor I was looking at. Only the Dream class ships have the virtual porthole in the inside rooms, not the Magic class.

We had to downgrade to deluxe inside for our upcoming cruise. I'm nervous because I like to have curtains open at home and on the cruise. I'm hoping we can upgrade at the port for a discounted price. Maybe that's a possibility? More time to save extra money.

My father in law just downgraded his state room to interior, and I feel bad that he had to. Does anyone have any tips on making the best out of an inside cabin?
No need to feel bad, not everyone needs a balcony. We always travel in 2 connecting insides and greatly preferred that to the 4A we shared for the 4 of us. We went back to the insides for our last cruise and were thrilled with that. Just let him do his thing, he's a big boy who can handle the misery of an inside.

He actually downgraded so he could be closer to our room. It is the Wonder, so no virtual porthole.
Is he in the room by himself? That gives him plenty of room in there. For a "window" effect, he can leave the TV on the bridge camera station, and the sunrise will lighten up the room in the morning. Much like how the virtual porthole works. But no characters flitting across the screen
virtual porthole dream 2014 dumbo 14242 P1020307 1500.jpg

On our last cruise on the Dream, our (18-21yoa) kids shared an inside room. They didnt miss the balcony room at all. I agree with the others that its really just used for sleeping and getting ready for your day. For our upcoming cruise this October they once again booked an inside, they said they actually preferred it over the balcony room. The only thing I suggest is to bring a small nightlight for the bathroom. The room is pretty dark with all the lights off. The important things are the wonderful memories you will be creating on the trip. :wave:

Is he in the room by himself? That gives him plenty of room in there. For a "window" effect, he can leave the TV on the bridge camera station, and the sunrise will lighten up the room in the morning. Much like how the virtual porthole works. But no characters flitting across the screen
View attachment 187603

He will be in there with his mother. That's a great tip! Thank you!

There is nothing wrong with a inside.i been on 19 cruises. 15 inside, 2 port holes and 2 verendah. Some of them in the inside has been longer cruises also a 15 night two 14 nights, a b2b a total of 13 nights a 10 night. Having a inside I'm able to take longer vacations and more often.

On the last cruise where I had an inside I found myself getting up and going for a walk around the deck every morning to enjoy the morning light and the quieter times on the ship, rather than just sitting on my deck in the morning. It was a great way to wake up and I actually lost a pound or two that cruise!

Thank you all so much. It wasn't really that I thought inside was bad, but that I felt a little bad that he had to downgrade, and I couldn't instead. All your comments make me feel better, and I'm sure we will have a wonderful trip!

Yes, i'm sure I would have spent lots of time out of my balcony if I had one, but for the cost of an inside, we can cruise more often. As others have said, you just use cabin for sleeping in and there are lots of enjoyable public places to hang out.

First of all, I wanted to get on the train saying that it was a HUGE debate in my house to decide inside vs outside cabin. The difference was not huge (I think $300 when we booked to be honest), but we loved our inside cabin on the Wonder. DH is a BEAST when he doesn't sleep, and he was so, so happy in the full dark. Also, I am prone to seasickness, and the bed in our inside cabin rocked side to side, like a cradle, vs an outside cabin that would rock head to foot. My mom had a balcony across the hall and we got our balcony-sitting in across the hall when balcony-sitting was called for. We ended up with a balcony for our upcoming, but only because we wanted to be connected to mom's cabin so our son can go back and forth (mostly forth, in the morning).

That being said, if you still feel bad, which you shouldn't, maybe look into a surprise on-board gift? My stepdad is getting a beer mug as he enjoys both beers and souvenir mugs (lol) and mom is getting a rainforest day pass as thank you presents. Total's around $40 but it will be a nice surprise for them when they get onboard.

We love sailing inside cabins, verandas really don't do a whole lot for us, Except when we had a bump out one on the fantasy with a lounger, that was way too nice. One thing we found was to score one of the sideways inside cabins, they feel very spacious with how they are laid out. Even a standard inside room is comfortable enough since generally we don't spend a lot of time in the room. For us they really aren't a downgrade, we have huge balconies on decks 4 and 10 on the classics:)

AMEN on the sideways inside cabins. We've been in sideways Cat 11 cabins on both our previous Disney cruises and really loved the way the layout makes them seem much bigger. We booked our Black Friday cruise on the Wonder in June of 2015 partly to get the early booking discount and mostly to be sure we could get two sideways category 11 rooms next to each other.

My inl-aws have an inside across the hall from us on our upcoming Fantasy cruise. I am excited to be able to experience the magic porthole and they can also use our verandah as mush as they like. Its a win-win :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter