• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume THREE! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is MUCH better info! :)

Where is the Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital? Maybe we could get info about it to post here on the 2nd post? It seems like a Children's Hospital may be a much better advice?

It sounds like that may be the place to go?

We are very happy for her, too! She is so excited and I know she will do a great job as VP, too! :)

Maroo, I googled it and it's in Orlando.

That is MUCH better info! :)

Where is the Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital? Maybe we could get info about it to post here on the 2nd post? It seems like a Children's Hospital may be a much better advice?

It sounds like that may be the place to go?

We are very happy for her, too! She is so excited and I know she will do a great job as VP, too! :)

Arnold Palmer is up 1-4 from GKTW and Disney.
http://www.orlandohealth.com/Arnoldpalmerhospital/index.aspx

A word of caution, this Hospital would be VERY difficult for a parent to try and drive too in an emergency. The traffic on I-4 reaches "parking lot" status at various times of the day. Other hospitals in the area use helicopters and ambulances to transport to Arnold Palmer.

Arnold Palmer is up 1-4 from GKTW and Disney.
http://www.orlandohealth.com/Arnoldpalmerhospital/index.aspx

A word of caution, this Hospital would be VERY difficult for a parent to try and drive too in an emergency. The traffic on I-4 reaches "parking lot" status at various times of the day. Other hospitals in the area use helicopters and ambulances to transport to Arnold Palmer.

Ok...then this may be the hospital they were referring to when we took Lauren to Celebration...? They said that they (GKTW at the time) recommended Celebration to initially treat the patient and that they could be transferred to another facility if needed.

It is all coming back to me now...Which may not be a good thing - that was a bad night!

But this is definitely something I would have preferred that we had worked out ahead of time. We had no reason to think Lauren would need to be hospitalized on her trip and didn't research it...but I definitely would get a game plan together as to where to go, alternate routes and what to do if it is rush hour.

This is all great information.

The address for Arnold Palmer is 92 West Miller Street, Orlando, Fl 32806

They are really good! My 1 year old nephew goes there for all of his eye exams and tests for aniridia.

You actually can't...unfortunately...

Basically the tickets you get are considered "COMP" tickets and can't be added to at all.

So...very unfortunately... you would have to purchase a full one day ticket (or more) for each member of your family.

It is pretty expensive - at $79 per adult and I am not sure for children - and it is an extra $52 per ticket to get the PH option added to it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. :(

One option is to go all the way and purchas an Annual Pass or a Non-Expiring Park Hopper (which is more expensive, obviously) but you could use if you plan to come back - (AP if you plan to come back within the year and non-expiring if you plan to come back in a few years). That would give you the investment so that when you do come back you would not have to pay that hefty "first day" ticket again...they would all be at the "subsequent" day price. But that only works if you think you are going to be able to get back.

We knew we had to come back as soon as the trip started...so this is what we would have done.

Maroo,

I wish we could go back soon, but normally we only go once every 2 or 3 years. I hope we go back to celebrate Nicky being done w/treatment, which should be in 3 years.

You mentioned something last week about a special party ticket??? You probably answered my question, but I was in the hospital w/Nicky for 3 days and did not check the forum. Anywho, what is the special party ticket?

Jen-Y

Maroo,

I wish we could go back soon, but normally we only go once every 2 or 3 years. I hope we go back to celebrate Nicky being done w/treatment, which should be in 3 years.

You mentioned something last week about a special party ticket??? You probably answered my question, but I was in the hospital w/Nicky for 3 days and did not check the forum. Anywho, what is the special party ticket?

Jen-Y

Maroo,

Jen-Y

You will be there during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP). It is a special "hard ticked" event at the Magic Kingdom. You can enter the park at 4 pm with this special ticket (the park will close to all guest without a ticket to the party at 7pm). It is a really fun event with trick or treating, special fireworks and a GREAT special parade. These tickets are about $60 per adult (a little cheaper for kids). We LOVED this event. I was concerned about spending that type of money, but the park was empty and we got to do a lot of suff!

Lynn

Hi,
I know this is totally off topic but I just wanted to share with you all that Savannah (Wish child in December to Disney...oh...what an amazing trip!) will be on the Lifetime Channel's morning show The Balancing Act on June 8th...trying to help spread the word about organ donation and COTA (for those of you who have children or know anyone who has a child who is awaiting an organ transplant....COTA helps families fundraise to help with the medical expenses and related items.)

I am hoping to recreate a little of the magic from our Wish trip on Savvy's birthday this December. You all were sooooooooooooooooooooooooo wonderful in helping me plan the Wish trip I would love to continue to follow and get more ideas for her Birthday trip this year.

Big Hugs to you all!!!!
Ana

Hi,
I know this is totally off topic but I just wanted to share with you all that Savannah (Wish child in December to Disney...oh...what an amazing trip!) will be on the Lifetime Channel's morning show The Balancing Act on June 8th...trying to help spread the word about organ donation and COTA (for those of you who have children or know anyone who has a child who is awaiting an organ transplant....COTA helps families fundraise to help with the medical expenses and related items.)

I am hoping to recreate a little of the magic from our Wish trip on Savvy's birthday this December. You all were sooooooooooooooooooooooooo wonderful in helping me plan the Wish trip I would love to continue to follow and get more ideas for her Birthday trip this year.

Big Hugs to you all!!!!
Ana

Ana I was just thinking about you guys today!

Arnold Palmer is the large pediatric hospital in the area. However, it is at least a 25 minute drive from GKTW and once you get near, a bit tricky to find the entrance. It is a very good hospital and part of the Orlando Regional Medical Center. They have a web page. Celebration is part of the Florida Hospital group, but not located near their main hospital. Both groups have helicopters, etc. Disney sends most of its injured guests and cast members to Celebration - so they are use to handling children. Both hospitals are very modern. Celebration is much easier to find and much closer. I think GKTW also lists Osceola Regional (which may have changed its name recently). It is a good, but old hospital. I think they all have web pages and, if you are worried, you might want to check them out. Also check with your insurance company. In an emergency, you can go to any hospital and transfer, but if you have time and you know which one is covered, you might just want to go there.

Katie

Paving stones can be purchased on line at the GKTW website for $200 each. There are stones with kids names, family names, astronaut names (the original mercury astronauts were and still are very involved), organization names etc. The choice is yours - but limited to 3 lines.

Katie

Ana I was just thinking about you guys today!
DSCF0059.JPG

We must have been sending the vibes to each other! Savvy informed me today that she NEEDS a hat so she can peddle...Mind you the only time she has worn a hat was 1. GKTW to go horseback riding. 2. Elmo hat to the beach last week with her Elmo suit. So this was a surprise to me until I realized Elmo's World was about helmet safety! Just made my heart smile and think of you.

DSCF0059.JPG

We must have been sending the vibes to each other! Savvy informed me today that she NEEDS a hat so she can peddle...Mind you the only time she has worn a hat was 1. GKTW to go horseback riding. 2. Elmo hat to the beach last week with her Elmo suit. So this was a surprise to me until I realized Elmo's World was about helmet safety! Just made my heart smile and think of you.

Did you see Busch Gardens opened a Sesame area? Complete with Elmo and cookie and rides!

Did you see Busch Gardens opened a Sesame area? Complete with Elmo and cookie and rides!

We used to live so close to Busch Gardens! I am going to try and take her to Sesame Place when we go back up to Philly for her follow-up. We did it last year for one carousel ride then ended up in the first aid station with a follow up to the CHOP er...total bummer so this year I have my fingers crossed! The only thing is that they are not open all year long so I have to time our follow up visit with the Sesame Place schedule.

Arnold Palmer is the large pediatric hospital in the area. However, it is at least a 25 minute drive from GKTW and once you get near, a bit tricky to find the entrance. It is a very good hospital and part of the Orlando Regional Medical Center. They have a web page. Celebration is part of the Florida Hospital group, but not located near their main hospital. Both groups have helicopters, etc. Disney sends most of its injured guests and cast members to Celebration - so they are use to handling children. Both hospitals are very modern. Celebration is much easier to find and much closer. I think GKTW also lists Osceola Regional (which may have changed its name recently). It is a good, but old hospital. I think they all have web pages and, if you are worried, you might want to check them out. Also check with your insurance company. In an emergency, you can go to any hospital and transfer, but if you have time and you know which one is covered, you might just want to go there.

Katie

I'm kind of a lurker over here. Former hospital lab worker who decided to stay home with the kids and homeschool. I actually did my training at the main Florida Hospital branch in the early 1990s. Celebration (depending on what is going on) would probably transfer to the main Florida Hospital on E. Rollins. The main campus on Rollins has built a children's hospital. I've seen pictures of the inside, and it is just stunning. http://www.floridahospitalforchildren.com/ It seems that Disney and Florida Hospital have had some sort of relationship for quite a few years. I hope this link helps someone. My heart goes out to all of you, and I am just amazed at how everyone copes!

Naomi

I'm kind of a lurker over here. Former hospital lab worker who decided to stay home with the kids and homeschool. I actually did my training at the main Florida Hospital branch in the early 1990s. Celebration (depending on what is going on) would probably transfer to the main Florida Hospital on E. Rollins. The main campus on Rollins has built a children's hospital. I've seen pictures of the inside, and it is just stunning. http://www.floridahospitalforchildren.com/ It seems that Disney and Florida Hospital have had some sort of relationship for quite a few years. I hope this link helps someone. My heart goes out to all of you, and I am just amazed at how everyone copes!

Naomi

Thank you so much for the info!!

These families are completely amazing!

We met with the wish granters tonight to get the final details for our trip (we leave Sat morning). After they left I was reading through the booklet they left with us and noticed that the rental car they show as reserved for us is a FULL size (Chevy Impala or similar).

I'm not done packing, so I'm not positive how many bags we will have, but probably 2 large, 1 medium and 2 small, plus backpacks, purse and camera bag. We could probably make this all fit along with our family of four if it weren't for the wheelchair. It does come apart but it still takes up a fair amount of room, probably the equivalent of two medium suitcases? I just don't think we will fit.

We both feel so grateful for everything MAW and GKTW has prepared for us that we hesitate to question this. DH actually objects to asking anything about it pretty strongly. I wasn't sure how I felt at first but as I thought about it, I decided that it really is a pretty big inconvenience. DH suggested he make two trips from the airport to get it all to GKTW. Who will watch our stuff while he does that? We leave our house at 6 and arrive in Orlando at 7 (local time) so after 10 hours of travelling I don't want to sit at the airport any longer than we have to. He suggested that the GKTW greeter take some of our stuff, but I don't think he understood that they probably don't go back to the village after seeing us. He suggested we just ask AVIS when we get there if we can upgrade on our own, but I'm afraid they won't have anything left by the time we get there that evening. I already checked for availability of a minivan at MCO Avis and they are sold out. What if the SUVs are gone when we check in? (I'm assuming we could fit in an SUV, since it at least has a taller roof for us to stack things) As you can tell, he is really very uncomfortable with saying anything to anyone about it (although I did get his permission to ask you all for your opinions).

It crossed my mind to ask about what kind of rental way back when, but I had already asked so many questions I felt uncomfortable doing so. Now I wish I had! I guess I also assumed that our wish granter had said something to whoever was in charge of that part, because I picked her up and drove her with us in our minivan to a MAW Christmas activity. Maybe they just go directly off of family size? What would you guys do? I think I can figure out a gracious way of asking about other possibilities but I'm not even sure who to ask. From past experience I know that our wish granters don't have the answers to direct questions, they have to ask the main office and get back to us which we don't have time for at this point. Does MAW pay for the rental or GKTW? Which one should I talk to if we decide to bring it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter