Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FOUR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just luck.:thumbsup2

Questions about animals are a little tricky.

Air Travel is not covered by the ADA, but by the Air Carrier Access Act, which does allow Emotional Support Dogs. Airlines can’t ask for proof that a Service Dog is needed, but are allowed to require documentation for Emotional Support Dogs (the second link details what they may require).
These are links to FAQs about the Air Carrier Act - scroll down to find the questions about Service Dogs/Emotional Support Dogs.
http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/FAQ_5_13_09.pdf

http://www.dlrp.org/html/topical/aircarrier/aircarrier_serviceanimals.html

Other places like hotels, amusement parks, businesses are covered under the ADA.
The ADA does not consider Emotional Support Dogs to be Service Dogs. In order to be a Service Dog, the person must be disabled and the dog must have been individually trained to do something that assists the person with their disability (very simplified). If the dog does not meet the definition of a Service Dog, it does not have to be allowed in. A Service Dog has no rights - the person with a disability has the right to use a Service Dog as an accommodation for needs related to their disability.

Thanks Sue! We already got approval from the Special Needs travel people at AirTran, they said that we MAY need a letter from the dr so we are going to get one just in case. I am going to call GKTW on monday and ask them if it's ok if she comes. That will be the deciding factor.

We finally got a packet of info to fill out for out local MAW for my daughter. My best friend requested that we refer her weeks ago and after doing so thru the pc, many of you have been great here giving us support and info due to such a long waiting period. Well, I sent the paperwork back last week so we are waiting again...will keep everyone posted.
Thanks for all the support!

We finally got a packet of info to fill out for out local MAW for my daughter. My best friend requested that we refer her weeks ago and after doing so thru the pc, many of you have been great here giving us support and info due to such a long waiting period. Well, I sent the paperwork back last week so we are waiting again...will keep everyone posted.
Thanks for all the support!

I hope you hear good news VERY soon!!! :goodvibes:flower3::goodvibes

We check into GKTW on a Wed and our oldest daughter (who is not included in the wish trip) is flying over to Orlando on Friday to meet up with us. Can she stay at GKTW with us?? What about meals?? Can she buy the meals there to eat with us?? I know we will have to get her own tickets. Just wondering about GKTW or if I need to find a hotel. Thanks! :)

We check into GKTW on a Wed and our oldest daughter (who is not included in the wish trip) is flying over to Orlando on Friday to meet up with us. Can she stay at GKTW with us?? What about meals?? Can she buy the meals there to eat with us?? I know we will have to get her own tickets. Just wondering about GKTW or if I need to find a hotel. Thanks! :)

Tonya, More knowlegdable people will be along, but in case they don't see this for a bit...YES, she should be able to stay at GKTW with you, she will simply have to fill out paperwork through your MAW chapter. I would call them tomorrow to inquire what to do and how to do it. Hope that relieves your mind as you wait for answers. Not sure how they handle the meals....
Your trip is getting so close!! :yay::woohoo::yay:

You can have up to 7 people staying in your Villa. You need to call MAW and have them call GKTW that your daughter will be staying with x amount of days. She will be able to eat there just won't get the theme park tickets.

Tonya, More knowlegdable people will be along, but in case they don't see this for a bit...YES, she should be able to stay at GKTW with you, she will simply have to fill out paperwork through your MAW chapter. I would call them tomorrow to inquire what to do and how to do it. Hope that relieves your mind as you wait for answers. Not sure how they handle the meals....
Your trip is getting so close!! :yay::woohoo::yay:

You can have up to 7 people staying in your Villa. You need to call MAW and have them call GKTW that your daughter will be staying with x amount of days. She will be able to eat there just won't get the theme park tickets.

Thanks!! I thought so...just making sure. :dance3:

Wow! I have a lot of reading to do on this thread! I am so glad i found it! I have a few questions if you don't Mind taking a moment :) .. I have been looking for a while for an organization to grant my oldest dd a wish. Here is a little history on her. she is 13 yrs old. she has many diagnosis, with includ mental retardation, sensory processing disorder, autism spectrum disorder, she has mild joint issues (cause of which has never been determined, though mild cp was mentioned) gastro.issues, and PCOS. She has begged and pleaded for YEARS to go to WDW but it has never worked out for us financially. We are going on a cruise in one year, but it was a "gift" from family. Any ideas if there are any organizations that would be a good "fit" for her/us? thanks to everyone!!

Lisa

It looks, from a map, as if you are about 25 miles from Cleveland and about 35 miles from Chattanooga. I would suggest you start looking there, possibly under Social Services agencies.

Wow! I have a lot of reading to do on this thread! I am so glad i found it! I have a few questions if you don't Mind taking a moment :) .. I have been looking for a while for an organization to grant my oldest dd a wish. Here is a little history on her. she is 13 yrs old. she has many diagnosis, with includ mental retardation, sensory processing disorder, autism spectrum disorder, she has mild joint issues (cause of which has never been determined, though mild cp was mentioned) gastro.issues, and PCOS. She has begged and pleaded for YEARS to go to WDW but it has never worked out for us financially. We are going on a cruise in one year, but it was a "gift" from family. Any ideas if there are any organizations that would be a good "fit" for her/us? thanks to everyone!!

Lisa

:welcome: to the Wish Trippers thread!!

:)

I think you are asking what national organization you should focus on? Is that right?

I think it would depend on whether you think your child would be considered to have a "life threatening" illness. I don't know much about the things you mentioned, but MAW is only for children with life threatening illnesses.

Every child is different - so the diagnosis itself doesn't really tell us much. Lauren has been diagnosed with CP, but most of her doctors think it is something else and they just don't know what...so the progressive nature of her illness made her (unfortunately) qualify for a MAW trip.

They also have some organizations that grant wishes to children with chronic illnesses - it is a bit different than the MAW trip and varies greatly depending on the chapter.

On the first page, I have a list of various organizations that grant wish trips and you might want to start there.

I don't think anyone at Social Services would really know? But someone at your main doctors office may know? :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter