Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oneplustwins said:
So you think Clearwater is better than Coco beach? That is where we were planning on going, but I can't remember why. Lol!
I am soooooooo excited! Our whoe family is so nice to pan this and have it to look forward to rather than all my son's medical appointments and therapies.

The water on the Atlantic side has a lot more waves. Clearwater is a lot calmer for kiddos. Only takes about 90 min from Orlando. Pretty drive as well. We loved it!

So you think Clearwater is better than Coco beach? That is where we were planning on going, but I can't remember why. Lol!
I am soooooooo excited! Our whoe family is so nice to pan this and have it to look forward to rather than all my son's medical appointments and therapies.

When we went to the gulf on day2, we were a little bummed. You see, we LOVE the ocean waves. The sound of them crashing is so calming. My kids are used to the cold northern Pacific. I can see why people like the gulf, but when I heard locals say they never go to the Atlantic, they only go to the gulf, I was shocked. We could have stayed at Cocoa Beach and not left. Seriously. When we walked over a dune, we all stopped and took in the sight. SOOOOO different then the gulf. And exactly what we were looking when we went to the gulf and were disappointed.
Our original plan was to do one or the other. We chose the gulf because of everything we had heard/read. On day 5, we decided to go to Cocoa Beach and it was exactly what we needed.
So I guess, if you are looking for waves, do the Atlantic.

Thanks for the Clearwater recs! It's been many years since I was in FL, and all I vaguely remember is Sanibel and Jupiter Beach. The girls are going to be so excited!
I think this means a Walmart trip when we get there, so I can buy shovels and buckets and beach toys. Would I be allowed to leave those things at GKTW for other families to use, do you think? I'm not bringing them back on the plane, lol.

kalimom6 said:
When we went to the gulf on day2, we were a little bummed. You see, we LOVE the ocean waves. The sound of them crashing is so calming. My kids are used to the cold northern Pacific. I can see why people like the gulf, but when I heard locals say they never go to the Atlantic, they only go to the gulf, I was shocked. We could have stayed at Cocoa Beach and not left. Seriously. When we walked over a dune, we all stopped and took in the sight. SOOOOO different then the gulf. And exactly what we were looking when we went to the gulf and were disappointed.
Our original plan was to do one or the other. We chose the gulf because of everything we had heard/read. On day 5, we decided to go to Cocoa Beach and it was exactly what we needed.
So I guess, if you are looking for waves, do the Atlantic.

Thanks for this info, too. For my own peace of mind, I might be okay without waves. I'm so boring now....

JWCJ said:
Thanks for the Clearwater recs! It's been many years since I was in FL, and all I vaguely remember is Sanibel and Jupiter Beach. The girls are going to be so excited!
I think this means a Walmart trip when we get there, so I can buy shovels and buckets and beach toys. Would I be allowed to leave those things at GKTW for other families to use, do you think? I'm not bringing them back on the plane, lol.

It shouldn't be a problem to leave them at the Village. Kids could play with them in the sand that is around the pool area.

I got our trip itinerary today!! All I can say is WOW :cool1: MAW thinks and includes everything!!! We are staying at 2 very nice hotels and having a little party the night before at Old Chicago (pizza.) We get 2 limo rides as well! :cool1: The boys will be so excited!!! Its nice to have our reservation numbers so now I can do a little planning! :dance3:

Yay! :cheer2:

I would get a GAC as anyone can re-wear those shirts to try and get the benefits. Sad but true. Or buy them without any affiliation with MAW, to get the benefits.:mad:

Once a Wish Child - always a wish child!

Unfortunately MAW foundation can not control the people who buy them at yard sales or any other way but they encourage the MAW families to wear the shirts, badges , ect ect. where ever or whenever they want, they are not just for your MAW Trip. You are supporting the MAW Foundation by wearing the T=shirts, not just saying that you are a MAW Family Member or A Wish Child.

I do not know of any special benefits that you can get at Disney World just by wearing a MAW Shirt, I know that if needed a GAC can help with special needs, but not any extra special treatment.

my baby is so sute. we leave in 2 days and he says inn 2 days mommy I wont be cold anymore! but school sent a whole folder with homework. so excited. so question 4 outfits enough to take with us? or did yall take 6 outfits?

Since it looks like my other four won't be able to participate in any way whatsoever in Ava's wish, I need suggestions for affordable places to stay. I'm a retired disabled veteran, so I can get a good military discount on the park tickets. But, paying for a hotel will be a problem. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I want it to be close to GKTW, so we can still have family time.

Kristy

My job may give me a hard time taking the time off since I've used some of the vacation time when Nate was sick recently. Did anyone get FMLA approved for their trip???

my baby is so sute. we leave in 2 days and he says inn 2 days mommy I wont be cold anymore! but school sent a whole folder with homework. so excited. so question 4 outfits enough to take with us? or did yall take 6 outfits?

We ended up taking 5 outfits, that was counting travel day outfits. We wore the same thing on travel days as we were coming from the cold so we wore the same home. I did laundry every night, then came home with all clean clothes :-) The baby of course had more outfits.

Since it looks like my other four won't be able to participate in any way whatsoever in Ava's wish, I need suggestions for affordable places to stay. I'm a retired disabled veteran, so I can get a good military discount on the park tickets. But, paying for a hotel will be a problem. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I want it to be close to GKTW, so we can still have family time.

Kristy

Call GKTW as there are a ton of hotels in the vicinity. One lady that came to GKTW everyday that week with her Alumni grandchild stayed at a hotel down the road that was $30 a night with a free breakfast. Her grandchild had a wish at age 6 and is now 18, and everytime she visits her grandmother, they stay close to GKTW and take part in the evening parties. The grandmother lives about 2 hours from GKTW so that is why they get a hotel. You didn't need all of that info but there ya go:lmao:

If you are staying at GKTW, they have a washer & dryer in each Townhouse & they provide the laundry detergent & fabric softner.
You might want to take a change of clothes to the parks with you for your child.
When we went, we drove, because my DD & DH can not fly, so as always, I over packed.

So an update on Holden's wish...

It was done on January 28th so obviously it's still too soon. We were hoping since they took over 6 months to contact the family that maybe they would speed up the process a little but no luck ... oh well! The family is asking for a cruise in June or July so hopefully MAW can work with that. We did ask about extending the trip so Holden could go to Disney World for a day or two (assuming they let them sail out of Port Canaveral....MAW mentioned Galveston but 1. Disney isn't sailing out of Galveston this summer and 2. The idea of a 7 day cruise doesn't thrill my BFF.....however, they said no. Their response was (via email)

"WE ALWAYS ASK THAT FAMILIES DO NOT EXTEND THEIR VACATIONS, WE ARE LIABLE FOR THEIR TRAVEL WHEN WE BOOK THE RESERVATION, BUT WE CAN ONLY BE LIABLE FOR THE TRAVEL THAT WE BOOK- TIMELINE, ETC. THE FAMILY CANNOT STAY AND GO TO DISNEY, ETC. "

BFF is a little disappointed as she really wanted Holden to see Magic Kingdom but we'll just have to plan a very special trip just for him some time in the near future. I'm wondering though, could the parents just change the flight once they are in Orlando? :confused3 I'm not trying to be a rule breaker or anything but just curious. I

And the journey continues....

Kristy

Hope you find a place close by and AWESOME! Any ideas of when you all might want to go?:cool1:

So an update on Holden's wish...

It was done on January 28th so obviously it's still too soon. We were hoping since they took over 6 months to contact the family that maybe they would speed up the process a little but no luck ... oh well! The family is asking for a cruise in June or July so hopefully MAW can work with that. We did ask about extending the trip so Holden could go to Disney World for a day or two (assuming they let them sail out of Port Canaveral....MAW mentioned Galveston but 1. Disney isn't sailing out of Galveston this summer and 2. The idea of a 7 day cruise doesn't thrill my BFF.....however, they said no. Their response was (via email)

"WE ALWAYS ASK THAT FAMILIES DO NOT EXTEND THEIR VACATIONS, WE ARE LIABLE FOR THEIR TRAVEL WHEN WE BOOK THE RESERVATION, BUT WE CAN ONLY BE LIABLE FOR THE TRAVEL THAT WE BOOK- TIMELINE, ETC. THE FAMILY CANNOT STAY AND GO TO DISNEY, ETC. "

BFF is a little disappointed as she really wanted Holden to see Magic Kingdom but we'll just have to plan a very special trip just for him some time in the near future. I'm wondering though, could the parents just change the flight once they are in Orlando? :confused3 I'm not trying to be a rule breaker or anything but just curious. I

And the journey continues....

Glad to hear Holdens wish is finally coming to together!
When we were at GKTW, there were several families taking 2 weeks, 1 for their wish trip & an extra week for vacation on their own dime, I wonder how they worked that out??:confused3
I never thought to do that at that time, it would have been nice if we could have but with the way things were, we were just overwhelmed as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter