Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
its all I can think, dream and worry about. can hardly function at all!

for sure disney dreaming and disney crazy!!!!!:cloud9::dance3:

it is possible I am more excited than the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney crazy is a good name for it! You know we worry about our kids staying healthy and keeping them calm in the hospitals. So when we finally have something nice to look forward to and you want it so bad to go perfect. I am glad I am not the only one that knows what I mean though :) Good call on the Wal-Greens shopping. Picked up spinners for both kids and some glow in the dark bubbles. They look pretty awesome so I am excited to try them out.

Yay for hopeful prospects!! :) I hope you have a peaceful night and good weekend!

We are doing well. E's been sniffly for about a week and a half. It's seeming to be just allergies but I'm so paranoid we're all going to get some sort of sicky bug just before our trip! I told DH that we need to start inhaling copious amounts of vitamin C between now and then! He's diabetic and has sworn off all sugary drinks (doesn't even drink diet!) so I guess I'll have to make him take it in pill form??

As far as Disney dreaming, I had a monster headache earlier so I took advantage of E napping and I laid down. Well, I laid down fretting over hotel bookings and ended up dreaming that I was helping a SWIM TEAM?? Yes, they were having their first evening match and apparently the pool wasn't lit so they had GLOW IN THE DARK TAPE on the bottom of the pool so they could see the lane markings. Weird. I also forgot to pass out the playbook (yes, this was a dream..I know there is no playbook in swimming!) to the team and got in trouble for that. I think the glow in the dark stuff came from reading some Disney tips on here about bringing glow sticks for the kids....

Does anyone else have crazy dreams when their minds are so active? I paraphrased the above...it was weirder than that! :p

Happy Friday to you all and I hope you have a great weekend!

No specific disney dreams but a real life nightmare today when discovery cove claimd we had no reservation despite my reservation number and that they had charged my card.... but of course it was really there and just hiding.

sweet dreams everyone!

yeti5353 said:
No specific disney dreams but a real life nightmare today when discovery cove claimd we had no reservation despite my reservation number and that they had charged my card.... but of course it was really there and just hiding.

sweet dreams everyone!

Yikes!!! Glad things worked out!

new to WC and M will be using one at least some of the time in the parks. Need the tips etc for them. best way to keep them dry, what sort of bag for the back etc.

thanks!!!

So does anyone know if there is a magical list somewhere of what you should pack for Disney and carry with you in the park? We have never been and I am afraid we will forget something important. Can you tell I tend to worry about everything :)

As part of the countdown process I have been buying something disney related each big occasion that can be used on the trip. I have a t shirt already but was wondering if anyone else has any ideas. We will be going in May

So does anyone know if there is a magical list somewhere of what you should pack for Disney and carry with you in the park? We have never been and I am afraid we will forget something important. Can you tell I tend to worry about everything :)

YES! There is a thread full of tips and tricks...it's HUGE..It started in 2005. Wait..I found another: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2690044&highlight=tips

Let me see if I can find the one I was talking about...

Well, I didn't, but these are great starts! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=10922&highlight=tips

Tanks for the warm welcome . Do you know if we can use the GKTW/MAW for a dubble stroller at the parks or is it single only? Second for kids night out i ready they have to be 3 and potty trained ? Are john uses the potty but is in dippers still due to the meds hes on he has some bad acdents and he is very runney so we air on safe . Will he still get to go to this ?

They will let you have a double stroller or single - whichever you would like to have!

And I like the idea of asking MAW if they can rent a special needs stroller for you guys, if that would help you! :)

Yeti, have you asked ur chapter if they would rent you one? Gavin uses a special needs stroller and they rented us one so we wouldn't have to lug it around. They r having it delivered to our villa. You might ask. Worth a shot :)

:thumbsup2

great minds think a like. I emailed make a wish today and asked what to do. they will have one waiting for us at GKTW.

Hey y'all,

Is the GKTW party something the kids dress up for and is it "scary" at all? If we're not at Epcot (I need to find out what time it closes. I know the MK closes at 7 for the MVMCP that night), we might come back to GKTW so E can attend. I'm sure he'll be willing to dress up in his costume(s) (Buzz or Woody) since there's candy involved! (He wouldn't put either on at a friend's Toy Story-themed party yesterday)

Just wondering if we should leave one of the parks to come back for it (Who knows? We may be back, anyway since Monday will be our 1st full day at Disney and E might need a break).

You already got an answer to this! But I am interested in knowing more about this party, too! When you go - take lots and lots of pictures. :)

Thank you! :thumbsup2

Still trying to figure out the shoe situation. I know. We aren't leaving til November, but this is a huge deal b/c ouchy feet = misery = grumpiness. I think Ethan and DH will be ok- they can wear Crocs and tennies, no problem. I, on the other hand, have issues and I loathe them! Long story short, I wear Birkenstocks daily. I will probably bring both Chacos and Birkenstocks and wear one for as long as I can stand it and then change into the other. I'm guessing the blister stick/deodorant will be my friend. My arches will be happy but my skin will probably be feeling the "burn." :) It just kills me that endurance in the parks won't be a problem but it will be my FEET that gets me! :rolleyes2

E and I have been scrolling thru pics of characters we'll possibly run into. I think he has a crush on Rapunzel! He said "yes" to all princess and fairies but both times we got to Rapunzel, he clammed up and averted his eyes. The last time, he sort of ducked his head and I said, "Oh, Ethan, do you love Rapunzel? Does she make you feel shy?" He mumbled, slid off his chair and slinked away! Hahaha...

He's got quite a few on his "no" list. Some, like superheroes and Star Wars characters, we've come to the agreement that we can get a family picture as long as the "no" characters aren't touching E! He RAVES about Spiderman and Darth Vader (in fact, he has been saying he wants a Spiderman, Darth Vader and Buzz Lightyear birthday cake...tonight, he's saying JUST Spiderman and Darth Vader- then he wants all the superhero masks, and a Spiderman costume WITH a Captain America shield! :p) but he's not keen on shaking their hand or giving them high fives! Hopefully, if we get to meet them, he'll at least let them be in a picture so that when he's older, he can look back and say, "Hey, I met ______!" :)

He doesn't want to meet Stitch b/c "His eyes turn green!" I explained to him that the Stitch at Disneyworld is the GOOD Stitch. He just kept insisting that, "No, Mommy...I saw on the mooooovie that his eyes turned GWEEN!" Haha...We saw some pictures of a little girl holding hands with him and hugging him and Ethan's mind MIGHT actually be changing.

Sully (or is it Sulley?) and Mike are still a "no." :( Again, he's focusing on when they were "monsters" and not at the end of the movie when they are making kids laugh. We'll have to watch the movie again ;). I mean, he's only seen it 1,000,000 times, but maybe he'll hone in on the happy ending this time ;). This has been right up there with all the Toy Story movies- they are his favorite. It really surprises me that he is scared of them.

Ok. Well, since I'm not working on plans, I thought we'd cruise down character lane tonight, ergo my above ramblings. E is currently watching Wall-E for the 100th time. Time to get that little cutie in bed! He's having a spectacular start to the school year and tomorrow is another school day (he took a late nap so I let him stay up just a bit later tonight). I LOVE THIS BOY WITH ALL MY HEART! You guys know that feeling, right? That feeling when it just feels like your heart is going to BURST with all the love??? Oh my goodness....

:offtopic: Update on David. He was supposed to be transferred to Children's Dallas for the beginnings of his heart transplant eval. There were hurdles with his insurance and finding a bed. Insurance is handled but they are still waiting on a bed in the ICU. They were packed up and ready to be moved today; unfortunately, his new hospital wasn't ready for him yet. Please keep them in your prayers, especially big sister Abby. She's really having a rough time. Lil bro has been in the hospital for 100 days and has to now go to a new hospital. So hard for a sweet 6 yr old to take in. :( Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for them!!!!

Just a couple of thoughts...I think the Monsters Inc characters are fairly hard to find...so they should not "scare" him without any warning...if that makes sense.

I am so sorry about David! :( And bless his sisters heart, too! :( :( :(

Just heard from our wish coordinator that the Houston MAW chapter does not allow you to extend your trip. Wish we could of, but grateful for what we do have:)

That stinks!! But you will have a magical trip!

Bummer! I just found out the other day that our chapter does not let you extend either. But we will still have a magical time!

Jackie

I am so sorry! That is a bummer! But you are right! You will have a fantastic trip!

:crazy2:Just wanted to say HELLO to everyone. I just stumbled across this site at work and had a question. Im quite sure like most men I didnt follow directions and put my question in the right spot or read a certain entry. ;o) so I am standing by to be corrected by the staff....

I am a father of 2(10&7) active duty Navy for 19+years living in Va Bch from Florida originally. My 10year old son just went into remission after 3 1/2 years of battling High Risk Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia(ALL) odds are pretty good that it will return :crazy2:
We went to LEGOLAND in CA, 2 years ago through MAKE A WISH. I dont want to sound greedy but is there something else available to my son now that he is actually healthy enough to enjoy DISNEY.. Is GKTW funded through WISH foundations.. Im sorry that I sound like the rookie, It just saddens me to see what my child has gone through and not being able to give him the world myself.. Thanks for your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
VABCH

I am so glad he is in remission!

GKTW only works with Wish organizations. And the wish organizations only grant one wish -

Some members of our church actually got together a couple of years ago and sent a family during Free Dining and it really was a pretty good deal - They got a room at POP and food was included, so it was fairly cost effective.

I hope he continues to do well!! And I really hope you guys can find a way to get to Disney!!

Hi Everyone! We haven't posted many updates, as there hasn't been anything to post about, other than counting down the days, and nobody in the family has patience!

That is starting to change, as we are now just over three weeks out from Braden's Wish Trip! Last week he received a "Wish Sneak Peek" that had some basic trip info, including our awesome flight times! Then yesterday, Braden's Wish Granter's called to schedule his Wish Party! We will be having it a week from tomorrow at Coldstone Creamery!

I am sorry to hear so many people lately not being approved to extend their trip. We are fortunate that our chapter is allowing us to stay, so we will be on the trip from 10/14-10/24. We will be at GKTW from 10/14-10/20... so it looks like there will be some others from this thread that will be there around then too!

Some things just keep falling into place, and just a day or so ago my wife was able to figure out a day for her and I to enjoy a dinner, while the kids hang out with Grandpa at GKTW! On Monday, our plan is to hit the MK for the day, and head back to the village a bit early for some down time. Then, my wife and I will be dining at Biergarten in Epcot that evening, and sticking around for Illuminations afterwards!

It should work out pretty well, as Tuesday our plan is to hang out at GKTW for most of the day, and then go back to the MK for MNSSHP, which is the main part of Braden's wish! This way, we'll get to enjoy MK a bit more after a "short" day on Monday!

Now the challenge remains to try to not get overly excited about the trip (yeah, right!). It has been fun to see our wish kid's countdown chain getting shorter each day!!!:cool1:

(In addition to this post our PTR has been updated as well!)

That all sounds like so much fun!!!! I am so glad you guys are going to get a night to yourself! Sounds awesome! :love:

Pretty sure most organizations will not grant a wish if your child has already had one granted through another nonprofit wish type organization.

As far as I know, GKTW is funded through themselves & just work w/ other organizations. We stayed at a Fairfield Inn the othe day & they had fundraising for GKTW.

You should be able to get a good military discount @ shades of green. :)

:( I wish you could, too. You guys are going to have a blast, though!!!!!

Awww...bummed for you, too. You're right, though! The magic is going to be soooooo abundant!! :)

Yay!! I need to catch up on your PTR!

A little news.....

We got the all-clear that we are extending! I typed that small b/c I feel bad celebrating when others don't get to :(

you are so sweet.... :)

Kind of a random question but we are wondering when MAW gives you spending money what form is it in? We just got a great disney cc offer and are thinking of using that card for a free $200 disney gift card. Thanks!

It totally varies by chapter!

I have heard of being issued a check, direct deposit into a bank account and a charge card of sorts that has money already loaded on it for the family!

I think it depends on the chapter. They gave us a check and we just deposited it right into our checking account. I've heard others say it was a debit card.

I am stressed out with Luke's trip this week. We were approved to take a third adult along to help with the trip. Unfortunately, the dates didn't fit into dh's sisters work schedule, so she can't come. Long story short, we have asked over five people to come along and no one can make it work. I really do not want to change our dates, our next dates would probably be december or January. I am frustrated, we are offering up a free vacation, but our son is hard to chase, so we have age and experience requirements. College students are out because it's an exam week, and it's not a paid nursing position so I can't offer a salary. I will have to call my maw chapter on Monday and see if they have any advice.

I know one or two months difference in dates shouldn't bother me, but I really don't want to change dates! I just have to accept that if we are meant to go, we will find the right person. I hate waiting patiently for God to show me His path. Patience is NOT my special gift!!

I hope this has worked out somehow!

I have heard from so many families that had to change dates and a lot of the time it works out for the best for them in the long run!

It is amazing to me how hard it is to find someone to take a free trip to Disney!

Yay for hopeful prospects!! :) I hope you have a peaceful night and good weekend!

We are doing well. E's been sniffly for about a week and a half. It's seeming to be just allergies but I'm so paranoid we're all going to get some sort of sicky bug just before our trip! I told DH that we need to start inhaling copious amounts of vitamin C between now and then! He's diabetic and has sworn off all sugary drinks (doesn't even drink diet!) so I guess I'll have to make him take it in pill form??

As far as Disney dreaming, I had a monster headache earlier so I took advantage of E napping and I laid down. Well, I laid down fretting over hotel bookings and ended up dreaming that I was helping a SWIM TEAM?? Yes, they were having their first evening match and apparently the pool wasn't lit so they had GLOW IN THE DARK TAPE on the bottom of the pool so they could see the lane markings. Weird. I also forgot to pass out the playbook (yes, this was a dream..I know there is no playbook in swimming!) to the team and got in trouble for that. I think the glow in the dark stuff came from reading some Disney tips on here about bringing glow sticks for the kids....

Does anyone else have crazy dreams when their minds are so active? I paraphrased the above...it was weirder than that! :p

What a crazy dream!! Sounds intense!!

Disney crazy is a good name for it! You know we worry about our kids staying healthy and keeping them calm in the hospitals. So when we finally have something nice to look forward to and you want it so bad to go perfect. I am glad I am not the only one that knows what I mean though :) Good call on the Wal-Greens shopping. Picked up spinners for both kids and some glow in the dark bubbles. They look pretty awesome so I am excited to try them out.

YES!! Exactly! We want it to be perfect because they have been through so much junk and this is a once-in-a-lifetime sort of trip!

sweet dreams everyone!

:faint:

new to WC and M will be using one at least some of the time in the parks. Need the tips etc for them. best way to keep them dry, what sort of bag for the back etc.

thanks!!!

What kind of wheelchair is it? Most of them can get pretty wet - Lauren's can get wet and it is a big electric one - we just have to protect the joystick - the rest can get wet all day long. :)

YES! There is a thread full of tips and tricks...it's HUGE..It started in 2005. Wait..I found another: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2690044&highlight=tips

Well, I didn't, but these are great starts! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=10922&highlight=tips

Love this!!!

There are tons of tip pages in the various dis boards sections. I have enjoyed reading many of them.
light sticks, extra kid clothes, zip lock bags and various blister potions seem to be key on every best advice list.

also take a photo of your car, take a photo of the parking spot, your kids, your ticket backs and your photo pass card. put your cell phone number on stuff you would like back if you lost it.

In addition the party atmosphere - lots of candy (MNSSHP) or hot chocolate (MVMCP), snow on Main Street (MVMCP), characters dressed up, a special parade, special fireworks - and the rides - wish families have some special perks...

Since wish families only get 3 days at Disney parks - some families consider buying a 4th day to make sure they can see each park or give them a little extra time. If a family with 2 adults, a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old wants to do an extra day at Disney World in 2012 - it will cost that family $344 plus tax to go to ONE PARK on that day. It would cost quite a bit more to buy a park hopper pass, although I am sure they would just do one park on that day since they have the Park Hopper pass from GKTW they can use on the day plan to hop.

Instead, this same family could choose to go to one of the parties (MNSSHP or MVMCP) for around $226 plus tax.

For the party - you are allowed to enter the park at 4:00 PM on the night of the party - even though the party starts at 7:00! So that is a LOT of time that is typically not very crowded for your family to enjoy the rides, etc. A family could spend 8 hours in the park (4pm to 12 pm) for a lot less money than buying a one day pass.

So if a family takes one of their wish trip days and sleeps in, explores GKTW, takes a long nap and heads to the parks to be there by 4:00 - then they can have quite a long time to enjoy the parks and won't "spend" one of their 3 Disney days to do it!

It is also a special perk for Wish Families because MOST CM's at MK allow Wish Families to skip character lines - and there are a TON of characters to see at the parties! This is not a "given" and should only be considered as a secondary perk, because you may run into a situation where this doesn't occur for your family - but it is quite a nice perk for the times it does happen! Especially at the parties when the characters are everywhere and you can even meet special characters that only come to the parties!

Some Wish organizations will pay for one special event for the child - and you can request this to be their special event, if that is the case. This would be a great way to do something special on a wish trip!

It may NOT be worth it for a family with small children that won't be able to stay for the parade or even stay up late at all - and it may not be worth it for the family that plans on going to both the Halloween and Christmas party at GKTW - because that may be just too much of that for your trip! So, this isn't for everyone - but for the family that really wants more "Disney" time on their trip - going to the party is a good way to maximize that Disney time!

I went to link this and realized that I had already done this... lol

I am losing my mind!!

Thanks for the comments on attending the parades. I'm still debating whether to buy the tickets to the Christmas parade. The reasons you mention are excellent points, and then I remember that our youngest is a toddler, she'll be about 2.5yrs so I'm very much debating whether heading in late in the day would be worth it.

This is a good thought on leaving Epcot! That may work really well for you guys!!

And I was lucky to meet YOU! :)

Woo Hoo! I remember that excitement!

The one character meal I really love is doing Crystal Palace for lunch - it is right in the Magic Kingdom, it's a very good buffet, and you get to meet Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore. For lunch it is relatively inexpensive. And you should be able to get a reservation - even maybe the day of?

IF you really want a meal - then just keep checking the website. You can also try for reserving an even number of people...sometimes the meal won't sit 5, but it will sit 6...And they don't really care, once you get there, how many you have (if you have one person less)...don't reserve for less than you need, though...

It shouldn't be $60 per person!?!?! For a meal... Try www.allears.net... They have a good list of restaurants and how much they cost. :)

That is so cool that you got a package!! :)
Hmmmm, perhaps I was not reading it correctly. When I would click on a reservation, it would show something like $39-$59 and I thought that was the price per plate. Will have to look into some more. And thanks for the note about Crystal Palace for lunch. In general, I think we won't do a character meal as it's a bit of money for us to spend, knowing the girls likely won't eat much of it anyway....and perhaps the money could be better spent on the tickets to the Christmas parade :scratchin

Have most of you veterans used the park stroller or did you bring your own (or rent from orlandostroller)? I was thinking of bringing a cheapie umbrella stroller to leave at the front of the park (I think someone here suggested this), then get the free park rental and use it until we decide to leave. We'd then use the umbrella stroller to get back to the car. Thoughts? Of course, if we extend, I know we will lose the free stroller on those days. We may just bring our own (but I don't like it...it's a Chicco Cortina- part of a travel system). I mean, it's great for the mall, but I wish it was a lil more compact. It's a good "mule" though!!!

Thank you, Maroo, for all your feedback!! I didn't quote everything you wrote b/c this reply would be 3 pages long :joker:.

I gave some thought to using the strollers at Disney, but since we're also going to be going to other places like Universal, and was also thinking about the distances people mentioned walking in the parking lots alone, I checked into booking a double stroller from Orlando Rentals, and Children's Wish is going to cover this for us. They're booking it so hopefully that means it will be delivered to GKTW. I think you already figured it out, by the time I've found some time to respond, but just wanted to add my thoughts. Also, I've been thinking that since the stroller rental is covered, that I might either buy a $15 umbrella stroller for the airports on our way down to keep Busypants corralled or taking our own umbrella stroller, which I splurged on a bit, so don't really want to have damaged at all....hence my hesitation.

I used some secret or sure stick deoderant on a blister in progress and was suprised how well it worked!

Thanks for the tip, love knowing that it works well quickly - thankfully

:( I wish you could, too. You guys are going to have a blast, though!!!!!

Awww...bummed for you, too. You're right, though! The magic is going to be soooooo abundant!! :)

Yay!! I need to catch up on your PTR!

A little news.....

We got the all-clear that we are extending! I typed that small b/c I feel bad celebrating when others don't get to :( QUOTE]
I wouldn't feel bad about celebrating. It's always wonderful to see any wish family at all being able to enjoy some extra joy. I'm very happy for you :lovestruc

Thanks you guys I have a hopeful prospect. Not all is lost. Now I need to made supper and decompress from the crazy roller coaster day. Hope everyone's families are healthy an doing well over the weekend.

Tata for now
So happy you have a potential prospect, hoping it works out for you with not too much stress.

I definately have had Disney gone awry dreams. Can't remember specifics but they were pretty vibrant the first night or two after I found this thread and was reading through it all over a few nights - yeesh!!

Yay! Thanks for the tips links, not sure if I read through them yet, likely haven't

And for us, busy, busy, as we all are. I'm so excited reading other posts about trips getting closer. I've also been reading along on PTRs but haven't had a chance to post. So, so so exciting!! :banana: Can't wait to hear all about your experiences. Be sure to pass along tips as you go, or when you get back. :cool1:

On the subject of the what to bring lists. The first thread listed is amazing. Very comprehensive. My thought now though is with respect to us wish families who would be staying at GKTW. Since Walmart is just down the street, did those of you who have been think if would be better to not necessarily pack all the items, but bring a list of things that could easily bd picked up? Meaning less to pack? Or was it a not well stocked one? I'm thinking I would likely pack everything, not wanting to leave it to chance and discover they didn't have something I needed. Thoughts?

onceagain1 said:
On the subject of the what to bring lists. The first thread listed is amazing. Very comprehensive. My thought now though is with respect to us wish families who would be staying at GKTW. Since Walmart is just down the street, did those of you who have been think if would be better to not necessarily pack all the items, but bring a list of things that could easily bd picked up? Meaning less to pack? Or was it a not well stocked one? I'm thinking I would likely pack everything, not wanting to leave it to chance and discover they didn't have something I needed. Thoughts?

I think it depends. I'm going to do my best not to forget something, but I like knowing there's a Wal-Mart nearby, just in case. I guess that if you are wanting to ensure you have room for souvenirs, you could always pack lighter, knowing u can hit WM if u need. Friends of mine only used carryon luggage for their trip. They ended up buying a backpack for the flight home b/c they got so many souvenirs :-). We actually considered packing a smushable duffel in one of our suitcases for that reason but I'm hoping to pack light enough that we won't have to. There's always hope!! :p

Do y'all know if the water still tastes/smells funny? I remmy going to Panama City Beach on summer vacations as a kid & being happy cuz Mom would let me order Cokes when out to eat b/c the water was yucky. I saw where some dis boarder brought those refillable water bottles with the built in filter. Wonder if they worked to get rid of that sulfur-like taste???

Also, on the getting thru the airport with toddler front, I have used a folding luggage cart, carseat & bungee cord to make a make-shift stroller for E. Since I learned that checking the carseat as luggage is a no-no (it can be manhandled in such a way that it could be considered "crashed"), I always have it on board for him to sit in. Anyway, on our last trip, I strapped the seat to the luggage rack & either hauled him or our stuff in it. Not as practical for dealing with 2 small kids, I guess. Oh- someone on another forum mentioned you could stroll it right to your seat on the plane. Nope. Not on Southwest, at least. Aisle was too narrow. Getting a 3 yr old plus my not-so-ideal-at-the-moment carseat contraption to two empty seats by myself was a feat... Thank the Lord for another mama who saw my plight. She stood up, plucked the mess out of my hands & proceeded to carry it, while walking backwards, til we found some seats. What a saint she was!!!!!

I can't remember if there was something else I was gonna reply to. I'm on the mobile app. I'll check via computer tmw!!

Much love to my fellow MAW families!!

ok so we are now packed . Just have to get the kids to calm down and go to school this week knowing we leave on the 1st.. Any advice on 4 young kids and air ports ?

I think it depends. I'm going to do my best not to forget something, but I like knowing there's a Wal-Mart nearby, just in case. I guess that if you are wanting to ensure you have room for souvenirs, you could always pack lighter, knowing u can hit WM if u need. Friends of mine only used carryon luggage for their trip. They ended up buying a backpack for the flight home b/c they got so many souvenirs :-). We actually considered packing a smushable duffel in one of our suitcases for that reason but I'm hoping to pack light enough that we won't have to. There's always hope!! :p

Do y'all know if the water still tastes/smells funny? I remmy going to Panama City Beach on summer vacations as a kid & being happy cuz Mom would let me order Cokes when out to eat b/c the water was yucky. I saw where some dis boarder brought those refillable water bottles with the built in filter. Wonder if they worked to get rid of that sulfur-like taste???

Also, on the getting thru the airport with toddler front, I have used a folding luggage cart, carseat & bungee cord to make a make-shift stroller for E. Since I learned that checking the carseat as luggage is a no-no (it can be manhandled in such a way that it could be considered "crashed"), I always have it on board for him to sit in. Anyway, on our last trip, I strapped the seat to the luggage rack & either hauled him or our stuff in it. Not as practical for dealing with 2 small kids, I guess. Oh- someone on another forum mentioned you could stroll it right to your seat on the plane. Nope. Not on Southwest, at least. Aisle was too narrow. Getting a 3 yr old plus my not-so-ideal-at-the-moment carseat contraption to two empty seats by myself was a feat... Thank the Lord for another mama who saw my plight. She stood up, plucked the mess out of my hands & proceeded to carry it, while walking backwards, til we found some seats. What a saint she was!!!!!

I can't remember if there was something else I was gonna reply to. I'm on the mobile app. I'll check via computer tmw!!

Much love to my fellow MAW families!!

According to friends and what I have been reading on the other blogs they say the water is till pretty nasty but that the filter bottles really help. We went ahead and invested in one

Hybrid for me, probably on the over packing. I will take meds we use occasionally, but wont for example bring something like benadryl that we rarely use and would be at walmart. I will bring the nebulizer because being with out that and needing it would be a big issue. I doubt we will use it though...

I will wash clothes but dont want to do so every day so we will be bringing enough clothes. the hard part is knowing we need clothes for hot and cool and of course our fabulous t shirt costumes.

I plan to bring two large suitcases to check going down and in one will be a folding duffel for the way back. carryon will have swim suits and meds and cpap etc.

my kids are older so wont be much toys other that ipods and ds.

we are doing the camelbak filter bottles as they can be used with and without the filter ( I think)

ready to get packing:hourglass

my question on the wheel chair was more how to keep the kiddo dry. since it will be more a stroller and she wont go on rides in it.

what kind of bags hang the best

how to cover it if parked in possible rain

that sort of stuff

my question on the wheel chair was more how to keep the kiddo dry. since it will be more a stroller and she wont go on rides in it.

what kind of bags hang the best

how to cover it if parked in possible rain

that sort of stuff

I wonder if the plastic rain covers used for the larger jogging type strollers, or made for a double stroller might do the trick. It won't as nicely, but it might work. Or, wonder if there's such a thing as an umbrella specially built for wheel chairs....I might have to go look into that, curious.

So, another question. For those with toddlers (2-3yrs), did you bring a car seat for them to be buckled into on the plane? For us, we'll be picking up a rental vehicle when we arrive and I've already booked car seats to be in them when we arrive as I didn't want to worry about ours, want to have ours already properly in our car here at our airport where we'll be leaving it. But now I'm not sure if I should be also thinking of the flight.

Also, has anyone flown Delta Airlines? That's who we're booked with, and I've never flown them before. If you have, how are they, generally? Good airline? I'm trying to sort through the small print and haven't figured out yet if the piece of luggage that we check is charged for - I was already told that the first 1 piece of luggage is paid for if there is a charge, but just wondering.
I'm also a bit paranoid about luggage getting lost, so likely in my carryon I'll have at least one change of clothes for each of us, to get us through the night. Plus our meds...but good point yeti on the occasional meds. I use tylenol alot so would like to bring it, but benadryl, perhaps I could just buy instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter