Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wish kid Ryan met with his wish granters 2 weeks ago, and we still haven't heard anything back yet on whether or not his wish was approved... Is it normal for them to take this long to get back to us? It seems like others are hearing back sooner than we are. Like I said, I am trying to be patient. I just worry a little that he got "lost" in the shuffle, or something. OK, probably not... ;) Just was wondering what the usual timeframe was... We would love to start planning! :hippie:
The time to approval varies greatly depending on a lot of factors, including the size of your family (which would impact the cost and whether or not it has to be approved by someone beyond just the chapter president), the speed at which you get the medical forms from the doctor back, any missing signatures on the paperwork (which can be from you or the wish granting team), any unusual guardianship situations, other unusual requests (extending, caregiver, extra participants, something specific that needs to be approved beyond just a "trip"), and other factors. Some of those can be nudged along by a phone call, but others are simply going to take a while to resolve.

Heck, I'm still waiting on approval for a wish I started in late June because we have an unusual request associated with it, and another I'm working on got approved within three days and dates for the trip within two weeks. Both wishes are for the same thing.

I always tell my families it's a "hurry up and wait" process, because we come in, overwhelm you with paperwork and questions and games and conversation, then we disappear for a while as the process works through. And once you get approved, it often takes a significant amount of time to give you dates (factors in that include your chapter's budget and frequent flyer miles status, GKTW availability in the case of Disney wishes and your family's availability). It's as frustrating for us as it is for you, but it's just how the process works unless there's an extenuating circumstance where something has to happen within a very quick time frame.

My wish kid Ryan met with his wish granters 2 weeks ago, and we still haven't heard anything back yet on whether or not his wish was approved... Is it normal for them to take this long to get back to us? It seems like others are hearing back sooner than we are. Like I said, I am trying to be patient. I just worry a little that he got "lost" in the shuffle, or something. OK, probably not... ;) Just was wondering what the usual timeframe was... We would love to start planning! :hippie:

We were told it would take about a month to hear back about Trevor's wish. It was about 2 weeks later that we heard he was approved. Haven't heard anything on dates yet but that is because he wants to go during Star Wars Weekends and those dates haven't been published yet.

Jackie

It took us 5 weeks from the day we received the letter saying Gavin qualified and another 4 weeks after we met with wish granters for us to get approved. It takes time but like our wish granters said, they cant promise anything but the Disney trips are typically the easier ones to get approved because they are so common (unless you asked for something more specific). Our wish was for Gavin to meet Lightning McQueen so it wasnt as hard... Waiting is the hardest part. I am a planner so I went ahead and bought a disney guide to help tie me over :) I hope you heard soon I know how hard it is to wait... soemtimes harder for us moms than the kids lol

I had some questions for some who may have already went on their trips... I am thinking about meals at the parks... About how much would you say counter service meals ran for your family (there are 4 of us so I was trying to budget 50 a piece because I would rather say more than less). Also if anyone did the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party with theirs--- I understand this is a seperate ticket. Our wish chapter has said they will include it in Gavin's wish so do they normally give you those tickets with your plane ticket or just include the expense in your expense check? I am just worried about them selling out or something. :) Thanks so much for any info. I love having other families to talk to

Hi wish trippers. I have been reading and reading and reading all the make a wish threads. I have cried a lot and am generally overwhelmed with all of you and your cute kiddos.

I have learned a lot and am oh so glad that I found this forum. I am just wondering if you can all give me your top piece of advice for our upcoming trip in october. I just want to compile some top advice from whoever is willing. I am feeling more prepared now after reading so much, but looking back now is there something I need to know that perhaps wasn't on the report?

Thank you so much!

Is there a help or a program for people who have become addicted to reading wish trip reports? I think I'm there. Someone please intervene ;-)

Hey everyone, we finally finished our itineraries and we are just a Month and a Day :cool1: before we leave for our trip Oct 1-7 at GKTW. The Family is so excited, we have a question though, has anyone been to aquatica, and if so how is it, we are going to do Universal/IOA in one day, the kids aren't big enough for most rides, so we are doing Sea World/ Aquatica on our extra day. We just wanted to get an idea of how it was.

Thanks

Kyra got home from the hospital today and now we can really focus on the excitement and count down of the wish trip in may!! Moving forward from here on out

I had some questions for some who may have already went on their trips... I am thinking about meals at the parks... About how much would you say counter service meals ran for your family (there are 4 of us so I was trying to budget 50 a piece because I would rather say more than less). Also if anyone did the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party with theirs--- I understand this is a seperate ticket. Our wish chapter has said they will include it in Gavin's wish so do they normally give you those tickets with your plane ticket or just include the expense in your expense check? I am just worried about them selling out or something. :) Thanks so much for any info. I love having other families to talk to

Your chapter should give you money for Lunch & Dinner at the parks, breakfast is either at GKTW or on you're own. Our chapter gave us more than enough for meals for the week for each person. We are a family of four as well. I asked our coordinator and she told me exactly how much we'd get per person, per meal so I could plan accordingly. I'll say this, we had 4 character meals, 3 breakfasts and 1 lunch @ CRT. This is how our food work out for the week.
Day 1 (we ate Katie's Kitchen @ GKTW after we arrived)
Day 2, Breakfast @ Crystal Palace(Winnie the Pooh Character Meal), Lunch @ CRT and dinner at the Beach Bash back 2 GKTW
Day 3, Breakfast @ Hollywood & Vine (Disney Junior character meal), Counter service lunch @ Backlot Express and Dinner at Raglan Road (DTD)
Day 4 Breakfast @ GKTW, Counter Service Lunch @ Sea World, Dinner @ GKTW
Day 5, Breakfast @ GKTW, Lunch @ Margarittaville @ the City Walk by Universal, Dinner @ Cracker Barrel
Day 6, Breakfast @ Tusker House (Donald Duck character meal @ AK) Lunch 2 Flame Tree BBQ at AK, an afternoon snack in France @ Epcot, Dinner @ the Waffle House
Day 7, Breakfast @ GKTW, Lunch @ GKTW, Dinner @ McDonald's at the Airport

We didn't pay out of pocket for any meals on our trip. I honestly thing we only spent maybe $100 that wasn't included in our expense check from Make a Wish.

glad she is home. what did the docs say about rides?

we will re-evaluate at post op appointment. he thinks her height restrictions will be perfect. at the current time tho shes not allowed playgrounds, bikes, scooters or gym class. since this year of school was an elective year they wont take her now because of so many restrictions so really trying to keep focus on anything and everything positive

MAROO and anyone else in the storms path, stay safe and let us know you are okay when you have the time and means!

I love how you put my name in red so I can see it! Really!! I am not kidding - I love that! Because I re-read what I have read before and always see something that my eyes totally missed! :rolleyes1

I am totally ok!

Hurricane Isaac was much, much better than Katrina! Which is the stick by which we measure everything around here now...

My power is still out at my house, but we do have power at the dorm - so I am good to go!

Hey everyone!

I know I haven't posted much at all, but I've been reading like crazy and gotten such great info/advice!

Our trip is now only 2 months away- its coming up so soon! I was wondering if anyone knew of a good/cheap place to get personalized/custom autograph books? Bonus points if the pages have spots for photos. I've looked on Etsy, and most of what I have seen are a bit out of my price range (I would need at least 5 of them), and even then, most don't have places for photos. I don't mind making them myself if someone can point me in the right direction of cheap supplies. Thanks!!!

You got great answers below! But I wanted to say Hi! :wave:

We are keeping everyone in Isaac's path in our thoughts... stay safe!!!

We received some fantastic news last week about Braden's wish trip! We received our dates, and they were the number one dates we were hoping for! I just updates our PTR.

Now it seems like we have so much to do before we leave... is 6 weeks out too early to start packing???

Thank you for the wish to stay safe!

6 weeks out is NOT too soon to start packing!! :cloud9:

I don't know about custom ones, but the walmart that's right down the street from GKTW has cheap autograph books, I think like $2 each.

:thumbsup2

They have a lot of things at that walmart, there is a huge Disney section. We bought our lanyards there too for like $4 or $5. At Disney they were like $8-12.

I have been kind of MIA on the boards the lat week. Kyra (my wish child/only child) had neurosurgery on friday, we are still in hospital as things arent going as smoothly as we would have liked. I cant wait to put this behind us and focus on all the positives! will be nice to get lost in the magic of disney! Anyone ever have to deal with restrictions on rides due to neck/brain injury/surgery? Kyra is 4 so i dont know if that would make a difference

Oh no!!

I think since she is so young that you will have a TON of things she CAN do - so much so that she will probably not really notice what she can't do - Disney is so magical!

Praying and hoping the best for you. I would assume since she is little there wont be a whole lot of rides that would be trouble but I would diff double check with the doctor. Best wishes and hoping you get home soon.

::yes::

I went to the creative disigns board they have on here and got some autograph pages off of there. Then I just made my own :) Staples will bind them for you for cheap ($2.00 on average).

Hope you and everyone else stays safe!

Thank you! We did pretty well up here in central MS!

My kids are furious that my first stop on arrival is walmart! And Miss Wish thinks it matters where her souvies come from. the budget police has news for her! Stuff from walmart will be just as good or maybe even better!

I think your kids will be much happier when they see all of the Disney stuff there!! :cloud9:

Sorry this is not disney related exactly, i was not sure if i could still post here, let me know if there is a better location!

We just received my son Luke's first convaid easy rider. Does anyone have experience with this type of wheelchair? what brand backpack did you attach to the back of it? Also, we have the anti-tipper attachment on the chair, will a backpack add to the tipping problem? (our son is a chair rocker) if so, is there a better storage solution?

Thanks!

You can post about ANYTHING on this thread!! :)

We took a power chair on our trip with Lauren ... but spring break Lauren's friend went with us and she has a spinal cord injury - so she took her typical wheelchair - her chair does tip back if she puts a heavy backpack on there - and if he is a tipper, then that could be an issue - but with the anti-tipper, will it help??

You could pack a heavy bag and go to the mall!

I was working on our MAW Disney binder this weekend and have a few questions for past wish trippers. Did you find that Universal/IOA took 2 days to tour? My kids will be 6 and 3 yrs old when we go in November. If we only do 1 day at Universal/IOA, we will end up with a free day toward the end of our trip. Has anyone taken advantage on the free tickets at GKTW and gone to Gatorland or Legoland? Would you recommend going?

I also called GKTW about extending our car rental since we will be staying a few extra days. They said we could just fill out a form once we get there and the car rental will be changed over to our credit card automatically. Has anyone else had to extend their car rental?

Only 73 days to go!!!!!!!!

LOTS of a MAW families have been able to do Universal in one day because of the special pass! You could definitely do it!

I think one long day or two shorter days work well for most families - I still have never been to Universal....:laughing:

For US .. we spent 2 days at Universal/IOA and loved it. BUT I have 2 7yr old boys that are also Harry Potter fans. There's not a whole lot your little one can do at Universal .. the rides are all pretty intense .. and my boys barely made the height requirements for a lot of rides. SO, I think you might be able to do one day. We were done with IOA by 3 pm even with going to Harry Potter World (it's very crowded) but the GAC helped us save a lot of time with not having to wait in lines.

We didn't keep our rental, we used Disney transportation for our extended part.

73 days !! Awesome !!

This varies greatly chapter to chapter - so I am not surprised, honestly! I have seen it take everywhere from a few days to a few months...

We met with our Wish grantors in October and didn't get our dates until about the 2nd week of January. But the whole process from start to finish only took us about 6 months. I think it varies a lot from chapter to chapter.

The time to approval varies greatly depending on a lot of factors, including the size of your family (which would impact the cost and whether or not it has to be approved by someone beyond just the chapter president), the speed at which you get the medical forms from the doctor back, any missing signatures on the paperwork (which can be from you or the wish granting team), any unusual guardianship situations, other unusual requests (extending, caregiver, extra participants, something specific that needs to be approved beyond just a "trip"), and other factors. Some of those can be nudged along by a phone call, but others are simply going to take a while to resolve.

Heck, I'm still waiting on approval for a wish I started in late June because we have an unusual request associated with it, and another I'm working on got approved within three days and dates for the trip within two weeks. Both wishes are for the same thing.

I always tell my families it's a "hurry up and wait" process, because we come in, overwhelm you with paperwork and questions and games and conversation, then we disappear for a while as the process works through. And once you get approved, it often takes a significant amount of time to give you dates (factors in that include your chapter's budget and frequent flyer miles status, GKTW availability in the case of Disney wishes and your family's availability). It's as frustrating for us as it is for you, but it's just how the process works unless there's an extenuating circumstance where something has to happen within a very quick time frame.

Very good points!

We did! Twice, actually! :laughing:

It is a separate ticket - unless you are going ON Halloween night, I think you will be fine to wait and buy them until closer to your trip - they are expensive!

You can even buy them that night for most of the parties! Although I think they are cheaper if you get them prior - even if it is just a day or two prior! :)

Hi wish trippers. I have been reading and reading and reading all the make a wish threads. I have cried a lot and am generally overwhelmed with all of you and your cute kiddos.

I have learned a lot and am oh so glad that I found this forum. I am just wondering if you can all give me your top piece of advice for our upcoming trip in october. I just want to compile some top advice from whoever is willing. I am feeling more prepared now after reading so much, but looking back now is there something I need to know that perhaps wasn't on the report?

Thank you so much!

Is there a help or a program for people who have become addicted to reading wish trip reports? I think I'm there. Someone please intervene ;-)

I am STILL looking for the cure to this addiction! :blush:

I don't think there is, but maybe we can get the "group" rate to beat the addiction together! ;):love:

Kyra got home from the hospital today and now we can really focus on the excitement and count down of the wish trip in may!! Moving forward from here on out

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Your chapter should give you money for Lunch & Dinner at the parks, breakfast is either at GKTW or on you're own. Our chapter gave us more than enough for meals for the week for each person. We are a family of four as well. I asked our coordinator and she told me exactly how much we'd get per person, per meal so I could plan accordingly. I'll say this, we had 4 character meals, 3 breakfasts and 1 lunch @ CRT. This is how our food work out for the week.
Day 1 (we ate Katie's Kitchen @ GKTW after we arrived)
Day 2, Breakfast @ Crystal Palace(Winnie the Pooh Character Meal), Lunch @ CRT and dinner at the Beach Bash back 2 GKTW
Day 3, Breakfast @ Hollywood & Vine (Disney Junior character meal), Counter service lunch @ Backlot Express and Dinner at Raglan Road (DTD)
Day 4 Breakfast @ GKTW, Counter Service Lunch @ Sea World, Dinner @ GKTW
Day 5, Breakfast @ GKTW, Lunch @ Margarittaville @ the City Walk by Universal, Dinner @ Cracker Barrel
Day 6, Breakfast @ Tusker House (Donald Duck character meal @ AK) Lunch 2 Flame Tree BBQ at AK, an afternoon snack in France @ Epcot, Dinner @ the Waffle House
Day 7, Breakfast @ GKTW, Lunch @ GKTW, Dinner @ McDonald's at the Airport

We didn't pay out of pocket for any meals on our trip. I honestly thing we only spent maybe $100 that wasn't included in our expense check from Make a Wish.

This was our experience, too - but let me caution everyone reading this - times are difficult for many non-profits and every chapter is different on this - I have heard from families that did NOT have this experience (from their perspective) - so it varies state by state and family by family...

we will re-evaluate at post op appointment. he thinks her height restrictions will be perfect. at the current time tho shes not allowed playgrounds, bikes, scooters or gym class. since this year of school was an elective year they wont take her now because of so many restrictions so really trying to keep focus on anything and everything positive

The school won't take her?!?!??! :confused3

I'd give them a call and just let them know you're trying to figure out how much money to budget for your trip, meals mainly. I didn't ask about anything other than meals, and I just told her I was wondering how much we should budget for them. I think that helped our planning a lot, probably more than anything. That way I wasn't stressed. They understand you want to plan and budget.

And don't forget all meals @ GKTW are free.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

This was our experience, too - but let me caution everyone reading this - times are difficult for many non-profits and every chapter is different on this - I have heard from families that did NOT have this experience (from their perspective) - so it varies state by state and family by family...

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this forum, wish I'd found it before - very happy to be browsing through it!! I've only just started, so I definately have lots of reading to do. But first off, I have to say, from what I've read so far, wow, it's so nice to be in company of others who have gone through similar struggles, and thus always appreciate the little things, etc. I belong to a general mommy forum that I can hardly look at, for all the silly things that some people complain about - oy!!

I'm married with 2 beautiful girls. My oldest daughter has a complex heart defect, has had 3 open heart surgeries that are palliative in nature. She had her surgeries quite young, at 5days, 6 months and 3yrs old, but will need more at some point in the future. Likely she will also need a pacemaker, and at some point, a heart transplant. She is now 6yrs old and doing quite well, all things considered. She's now a big sister to her 2yr old healthy little sis, who we call Busypants. My oldest I call Chatterbox!!

Several years ago we applied for my daughter's wish with Children's Wish, as they encouraged us to, as there were sometimes other events that ODD might be invited to from time to time. Now that things are stable, and that our younger daughter has gotten a bit older, we're ready for ODD to have her wish, so I contacted CW to let them know and they got started on the process. I gave them several dates around Christmas (as my husband has more time off at Christmas, and for financial reasons, it's best for us to work with his schedule). They called and gave me 2 of my 3 date choices to choose from and initially I went with my first, which is right over Christmas. But then I started googling and realised that it would apparently be super duper busy that week. At that point, I had not found this forum and did not know that you could show the pin/lanyard and likely use the fastpass entrance. And so knowing that my daughter (and hubby) isn't always best around the largest crowds, I called CW back the same day to ask about the other date instead. The other date is Dec 14-21, the week before, which still fits our timeframe but hopefully will be somewhat less busy. So those are the dates for us.

Now, I've since discovered this forum, and part of me wishes I could stick with our original dates, as it would be quite magical to enjoy Christmas there. However, I'm reminding myself that the diminished crowds will make the experience more enjoyable for ODD (and hubby and YDD), and it will still be Christmas magical.

Anyway, so happy to have found this forum. And I haven't had a chance to read ALL the posts yet, so I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I discovered already from someone else's post that you can rent a stroller from Orlando Stroller I think, and have it delivered to GKTW. ODD is about 50lbs now and does tire easily, so I'm quite sure she'll tire while we're going around Disney. So I'm thinking about renting a double stroller to have room for both girls. I'm wondering if it would be too crowded to manoever a double, and perhaps I should rent 2 singles instead? Or, another question, a friend that has been before mentioned that the trolley that takes you from the parking lots to the theme parks doesn't fit the strollers well, unless they fold. Is this the case, and so then this would be a problem with the double, even if it's folded?

thanks so much!!
:yay:

. . .
Several years ago we applied for my daughter's wish with Children's Wish, as they encouraged us to, as there were sometimes other events that ODD might be invited to from time to time. Now that things are stable, and that our younger daughter has gotten a bit older, we're ready for ODD to have her wish, so I contacted CW to let them know and they got started on the process. I gave them several dates around Christmas (as my husband has more time off at Christmas, and for financial reasons, it's best for us to work with his schedule). They called and gave me 2 of my 3 date choices to choose from and initially I went with my first, which is right over Christmas. But then I started googling and realised that it would apparently be super duper busy that week. At that point, I had not found this forum and did not know that you could show the pin/lanyard and likely use the fastpass entrance. And so knowing that my daughter (and hubby) isn't always best around the largest crowds, I called CW back the same day to ask about the other date instead. The other date is Dec 14-21, the week before, which still fits our timeframe but hopefully will be somewhat less busy. So those are the dates for us.

Now, I've since discovered this forum, and part of me wishes I could stick with our original dates, as it would be quite magical to enjoy Christmas there. However, I'm reminding myself that the diminished crowds will make the experience more enjoyable for ODD (and hubby and YDD), and it will still be Christmas magical.

Anyway, so happy to have found this forum. And I haven't had a chance to read ALL the posts yet, so I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I discovered already from someone else's post that you can rent a stroller from Orlando Stroller I think, and have it delivered to GKTW. ODD is about 50lbs now and does tire easily, so I'm quite sure she'll tire while we're going around Disney. So I'm thinking about renting a double stroller to have room for both girls. I'm wondering if it would be too crowded to manoever a double, and perhaps I should rent 2 singles instead? Or, another question, a friend that has been before mentioned that the trolley that takes you from the parking lots to the theme parks doesn't fit the strollers well, unless they fold. Is this the case, and so then this would be a problem with the double, even if it's folded?

thanks so much!!

Welcome to the Wish Thread!

In my view you did a REALLY bright thing to switch weeks. Although it will not be UNcrowded, It should be substantially LESS crowded that week, while most schools are still in session, than Christmas week.

The double stroller should be managable, and convenient. If you have a handicap hang tag at home, you should bring it with you - the accessable parking is within easy walking distance of the park entrances (or the monorail/ferry, in the case of Magic Kingdom).

I can't remember if they give you a stroller tag at GKTW, but if they don't, you should stop at the first park guest services and get one - it allows use of stroller as wheelchair, which means you won't have to leave it at stroller parking, in most cases, but take it to the point where you would need to leave a wheel chair.

Good Luck and have fun!

So excited our wish grantors came over tonight! I just updated our PTR! I feel like we have been blessed to be going through this! They really think we will hear back very soon! I hope so!

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this forum, wish I'd found it before - very happy to be browsing through it!! I've only just started, so I definately have lots of reading to do. But first off, I have to say, from what I've read so far, wow, it's so nice to be in company of others who have gone through similar struggles, and thus always appreciate the little things, etc. I belong to a general mommy forum that I can hardly look at, for all the silly things that some people complain about - oy!!

I'm married with 2 beautiful girls. My oldest daughter has a complex heart defect, has had 3 open heart surgeries that are palliative in nature. She had her surgeries quite young, at 5days, 6 months and 3yrs old, but will need more at some point in the future. Likely she will also need a pacemaker, and at some point, a heart transplant. She is now 6yrs old and doing quite well, all things considered. She's now a big sister to her 2yr old healthy little sis, who we call Busypants. My oldest I call Chatterbox!!

thanks so much!!

:welcome: I am a fellow heart mom too. My heart warrior just turned 7. He has pulmonary atresia. What does your daughter have? I am glad she gets her wish!

Jackie

Hello all...I haven't had anything really to update on here lately. I thought I would pop in and say hello though. Now that I am back to work (I am a teacher), I know my free time is dwindling! We are going on sarah's wish trip the week of Thanksgiving, and we are so excited. I know time will start flying by now that school will be keeping us all busy:thumbsup2

Hope all of you getting ready to travel soon have great trips!

Lilfoot,

My daughter's official diagnosis is Unbalanced AVSD with coarcation of the aorta. The unbalanced refers to the hyplastic left ventricle portion. She's had the Norwood, Glenn and Fontan surgeries. She's a single ventricle child.

Glad to meet some other heart moms here too, although actually, happy to just meet other like minded moms in general. Also wanted to say, I have tears browsing through most of the posts. There are some challenging stories here from everyone, so happy to see little children's special wishes coming true, makes it somewhat more bearable.

Another question. My friend who has gone before (non wish) mentioned how if you were shopping in downtown Disney, that if you stayed onsite, that your packages would be delivered back to hotel room. So if staying at GKTW, we don't have that option. But, did I read somewhere that we could have any shopping packages delivered to a central spot that we could then simply pick up on our way out? Not sure if we'll buy much, but in case we buy something (I get the feeling a stuffy might find it's way into our kids' arms), would be nice to not have to carry it around for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter