Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are also going for my sons make a wish from august 15-21 but I am so worried about the weather, are you? I know it rains everyday in orlando but they are calling for severe thunder storms daily. My heart would break if this trip is a bust. His send off party is this Saturday and I figure I might have until then to see if we could reschedule. It would allay my fears to hear if you are not worried and proceeding as planned. They go through so much and I just couldn't bear the disappointment of sitting in a hotel room the whole time. We do enough sitting around in hospital rooms. Please help, give me confidence! Lisa

I searched and searched and finally found this post again! success! So, to answer your question....we checked out Orlando weather today and I'm not really all that worried about it. Most days are calling for 30% chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms. Most of them won't last long, and will probably help cool things down. I did go to our local Dollar General and buy us some clear (see thru) disposable ponchos. For six of them it cost me like $8, they were really cheap. We plan to go to seaworld and sit in the splash zone, and that was mainly what I wanted the for, but we will have them if we need them on other days. Honestly, I have NEVER been to Florida that it hasn't called for some form of rain every day....sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. It's definitely NOT worth worrying over. Are you staying at GKTW? It looks like we will be spending that first day there checking out GKTW, and going to the meeting that night. Our send off party was tonight and it was amazing. After we put the kids to bed we sat down to figure out if our expense check would cover everything we hoped to do. (Dine with Shamu, dinner at margaritaville, either Blizzard beach or Typhoon Lagoon, and the pirate dinner theatre.....and we also needed to save money for tolls, gas, and spending money for kids.) They were definitely generous in that aspect and it looks like we can do it all, and still have plenty left to do other things. So now we have to find out if there is anything else Spencer is interested in. Are you as excited as we are??? :woohoo:

So sorry about posting this here, but we need prayers! My next door neighbor's husband got into a 4 wheeler accident this evening. He was life flighted to a level 1 trauma center here in Atlanta and I'm keeping an eye on their two beautiful girls (ages 2 and 4). They have called in his family, saying it doesn't look like he will last the night. :sad1: Since we have been blessed with so many miracles, sometimes daily, just watching our children defy odds - can you please say a prayer or send positive thoughts towards a miracle for this family. These girls need their daddy to be with them. Thank you and again, sorry for posting this here.

So sorry about posting this here, but we need prayers! My next door neighbor's husband got into a 4 wheeler accident this evening. He was life flighted to a level 1 trauma center here in Atlanta and I'm keeping an eye on their two beautiful girls (ages 2 and 4). They have called in his family, saying it doesn't look like he will last the night. :sad1: Since we have been blessed with so many miracles, sometimes daily, just watching our children defy odds - can you please say a prayer or send positive thoughts towards a miracle for this family. These girls need their daddy to be with them. Thank you and again, sorry for posting this here.

Praying for your neighbor and his family.

Jackie

praying and praying and praying....

Thank you. Prayers were answered and miracles did arise, just not in the form we were hoping. Jeremy has been called Home. He is an organ donor however, and his tragic passing will make way for many miracles and second chances to come. please keep his family, especially his two sweet girls in your thoughts. Thank you again.

carebearkidney said:
Thank you. Prayers were answered and miracles did arise, just not in the form we were hoping. Jeremy has been called Home. He is an organ donor however, and his tragic passing will make way for many miracles and second chances to come. please keep his family, especially his two sweet girls in your thoughts. Thank you again.

Will pay for the family and those who will receive the gift of life from him. So sad for those little girls.

I will continue to pray for his family. And to those who received the gift of life.

Jackie

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I logged in. We have just been so crazy with life. Owen is getting ready to be put on the list for a new heart so our MAW trip came at the perfect time last December.

Maroo.. so glad to see you are back! Owen's Trip Report is finished.. the link is at the bottom of my signature.

Hi there. I am new to DISboards, and hope I am posting this correctly. My little Mia was granted a wish trip and our family can't wait. I am excited to get my feet wet and read all about previous wish trips. This thread is so wonderful... thank you to everyone who is willing to help out us newbies.

I wrote a tiny bit of Mia's story on a pre-trip report. Thanks for the help on being able to post a picture. I will hopefully get the hang of this. :-)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45797860#post45797860

I hope that link is right.

Mimi- Mia's mom (wish kid)

Hi there. I am new to DISboards, and hope I am posting this correctly. My little Mia was granted a wish trip and our family can't wait. I am excited to get my feet wet and read all about previous wish trips. This thread is so wonderful... thank you to everyone who is willing to help out us newbies.

I wrote a tiny bit of Mia's story on a pre-trip report. Thanks for the help on being able to post a picture. I will hopefully get the hang of this. :-)

==

hi Mimi, welcome! I read your pre trip report and you will get a guest assistance card and I think photo pass through GKTW. I learned tons reading others trip reports. we go Oct 19!!!

today is the aniversary of Molly's adoption- family day as we call it and it just so happened that her wish granters stopped by with a small gift today. (they did not know it was family day, but they made it extra special).

doing so great on making my bracelts! cant wait to share them. after the trip maybe I will have enough to share some here.

==

hi Mimi, welcome! I read your pre trip report and you will get a guest assistance card and I think photo pass through GKTW. I learned tons reading others trip reports. we go Oct 19!!!

Thanks so so much! I have been reading all after noon. We might be there at the same time! :-)

I am so so sad that I was no on the DIS to pray for this when it happened! :(

I am so thankful that they gave the gift of life to others!

So sad for their kids, too.

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I logged in. We have just been so crazy with life. Owen is getting ready to be put on the list for a new heart so our MAW trip came at the perfect time last December.

Maroo.. so glad to see you are back! Owen's Trip Report is finished.. the link is at the bottom of my signature.

Hi!! :wave: I am glad to be back!

I will put "finished" on the TR!! :) I have not gotten there yet on my "DIS List"...but I will mark his tonight!

I really appreciate you finishing the TR! I know how hard that is!

I hope Owen continues to do well and that they find him a heart ASAP! I know Lydia is doing great since her heart transplant!! :hug:

:wave: Welcome to the DIS! And welcome to the Wish Trippers thread!! :)

We are getting excited to meet Luke's MAW coordinators this Tuesday. I started a PTR. The first post is pretty gloomy. But I peomise fun and happiness from here on out!

Luke's MAW PTR

:wave: Welcome to the DIS! And welcome to the Wish Trippers thread!! :)

I am new to this board and need all the info I can get for our upcoming MAW trip to Disneyland Trip Oct. 7-12 for our family of 4. So far we've confirmed 3 days in the park ('cause we're WDW fanatics) and 1 day on our own. We've debated extending our trip (on our dime) an extra day...just need to MAW know for sure by this Wednesday (Aug. 8, 12) before she books the flight). Any idea how much spending $ they usually give you? Do you usually have to make your own meal reservations?

I missed this post!!! So I missed answering it!

But what did you guys decide?

Each chapter is different about how much spending money they do - so hopefully they were able to fill you in so you guys could decide! :)

Cool news!

We were supposed to go on my brother's wish trip to Disneyland in the September/October timeframe. My brother's health took a turn and while he did recover, we expedited the trip to make sure we get it done in a time when he is feeling well. We have had it planned for a month, but it was just confirmed today we leave in SIX DAYS!! We are staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel.

I am so glad you guys are going to be able to go on your trip!!! Have a BLAST!!!!! Take LOTS and LOTS of pictures!

Thank you!

Yes, they granted his wish. We go Oct. 8-15th!! So excited!!

Thanks, I need to read a bit more to figure out how to start a PTR and then I'll post. I would love some input on traveling and NYC!!

He is very excited, he wanted something different then WDW. He does theater so this is perfect for him!!

I found your PTR and linked it!!! :)

Ha!:rotfl2: Thanks. :) I write exactly how I talk - very animated! Kind of have to be that personality when you are trying to get 14 year old excited about photosynthesis and cellular respiration.:teeth:

:rotfl2:

Thank you so much! You are so sweet and so very kind of you to take the time out of your busy days to care for us! :flower3::flower3:

It has been so much fun getting back on the DIS! But I am totally out of the habit of logging on every day...It is taking me a while to get the addiction started back up! (And it doesn't help that my current job allows for no DIS time! My old job had me sitting around a while waiting for something or on hold with insurance companies half the day and left me time to DIS - and now that is a thing of the past!)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!! I spent a few hours this morning making Nathaniel NYC wish PTR!! Wasn't sure how much info you all wanted.

Come take a look! Nathaniel's Wish Trip *NYC Disney Newsies*:yay:

This is going to be fun to read!!!! :)

I need to read page 111 and page 112 and make commments...I have not even read it yet!

But my nephew is here and I gotta go play with him! He is toooooo cute!!!! :rotfl2:

From page 111...

We are also going for my sons make a wish from august 15-21 but I am so worried about the weather, are you? I know it rains everyday in orlando but they are calling for severe thunder storms daily. My heart would break if this trip is a bust. His send off party is this Saturday and I figure I might have until then to see if we could reschedule. It would allay my fears to hear if you are not worried and proceeding as planned. They go through so much and I just couldn't bear the disappointment of sitting in a hotel room the whole time. We do enough sitting around in hospital rooms. Please help, give me confidence! Lisa

Oh, I really hope you see this!!

It has been three years since Lauren's wish trip - and now, if you ask her, she will tell you that the BEST part of her entire trip was standing in the rain to watch the Electric Parade - she thought it was so much fun to be allowed to stay in the rain and play!

Your trip will have AMAZING moments - at least one that will be totally unexpected and will really melt your heart - and your trip will certainly have some "rain" in some form or another - a fight, a storm that interrupts, a car issue - something will probably go wrong. When it does - laugh - it will be such a great memory later. And take pictures! :)

Hi, my name is Nathan. We just found the Disboards. One of my twin three year old girls was diagnosed with ALL about five months ago, and just recently we got a call from a MAW representative. We, my family and I, just want to say hi, and that we have been moved and humbled by your stories here in the forum.

Peace and blessings.

Nathan

Welcome to the DIS!!!

And Welcome to the WIsh Trippers thread! :)

It seems like it would be so hard to have one twin sick and the the other twin healthy - must be extra hard for the healthy twin compared to other typical siblings (and it is hard enough on them!)...

We have several twin families on here! :) So hopefully you will connect on here with someone who "gets it!"

:)

Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to give a quick update on Gavin. I have had viral bronchitis (that really kicked my butt btw lol):sick: and were in dire fear that Gavin would catch it and land us back in the hospital. However, the good news is we shipped him to his gma and bio dad just in time and he was able to avoid. (That and a lot of bleach and lysol). With his heart issues he also has a very weak upper respitory system and can have trouble keeping his oxygen levels up so even small colds or allergies have been known to resort to ER/ hospital stays. We also celebrated 9 months post op on Wednesday!!! We have only had one case of pnuemonia since the surgery and it did not require hospitalization :) Looks like the surgery is turning things around for him. Now that school is getting ready to start again I am getting nervous though.... None the less just wanted to share the good news that we survived the week :)

Congrats on avoiding the bug!!! That is really great news!!!!

Our wish grantors arrived tonight, bearing cake and goodies for spencer! They also brought us info on how to print our boarding passes, the expense check, and let us know we will be riding to and from the airport in a limo!!!!

Spencer was on top of the world!!!

DSC05218.jpg

AWESOME!!!!

I am so excited for you guys!!! Have a BLAST!!

Does anyone know if there are photopass shares out there. It has been 4 years since my last one, so I was not sure if its still going on?

Did you guys get one on your wish trip? You went in 2010...but I can't remember if we had them yet?

Now the wish families get one for free from Disney - so there are no Photopass shares.

I honestly am honored to buy one from Disney each trip primarily because they give them to our wish families for free!! :)

Hi! Threeboysandachichie here, I created a pTR for my wish son Luke tonight. I can't figure out links yet but here it is

Pretrip report

Luke's first MAW trip beware to all lizards, squirrels,and dolphins

I hope you can find it. I'll link it on when I figure out time!
I will get into our great lift story next installment!!!!

I found yours! And I linked it on the first page! But it looks like you figured how to do the links, which is awesome! :)

If you're going on a Wish trip through Give Kids the World- you will get your photopass for FREE thanks to Maroo! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

yay maroo....the photopass is something that I am looking forward to greatly as a mom!

I want to quote half a million other posts and respond to them, but I can't figure out how to multiquote and then I tried going back and can't find the original posts! ugh. I'm so internet challenged! Working on that right now....

Thanks, friends!!! :)

I think the Photopass is the single best thing that Disney does for Wish Families - when the families carry so many things around - juggling wheelchairs, oxygen, etc, etc...remembering the "normal" things like the camera - and having an extra hand for it - are a lot harder than it looks!! AND when you have the Photopass you can sit back and ENJOY the moment without looking through a camera lens!

I love the fact that Disney does this for Wish Families!!!!!!!! :)

AND...how to MultiQuote is found on the 2nd post of the FIRST page of this thread - and there is a LOT of Freq Asked Questions on there that you may not even know you need the answer to - so everyone, please make sure to check those out! I know they are buried past all of those years worth of trip reports.....

Anyone else find themselves with our predicament? Basically, we have a trip, that has been verbally ok'd by MAW. They received all the info from us that they needed... Birth Certif's, Driver's License, etc... We are supposed to leave this Sunday, but have no "official" documentation proving so. We were "concerned" and gave them a call, and they said this chapter often gets things out last minute and we should get it by the end of the week (last week) or early this week (today or tomorrow). We are not panicking by any means, its just we'd feel a little better having something in our hands saying, we'll get you up at this time, flying out of Philly here, and you are staying here.

Anyone else sit on pins and needles for confirmation?

PS. I am in no way taking for granted what MAW is doing for us. This is going to be a once in a lifetime experience. Its just hard to plan... when you just aren't sure.

Anyone else find themselves with our predicament? Basically, we have a trip, that has been verbally ok'd by MAW. They received all the info from us that they needed... Birth Certif's, Driver's License, etc... We are supposed to leave this Sunday, but have no "official" documentation proving so. We were "concerned" and gave them a call, and they said this chapter often gets things out last minute and we should get it by the end of the week (last week) or early this week (today or tomorrow). We are not panicking by any means, its just we'd feel a little better having something in our hands saying, we'll get you up at this time, flying out of Philly here, and you are staying here.

Anyone else sit on pins and needles for confirmation?

PS. I am in no way taking for granted what MAW is doing for us. This is going to be a once in a lifetime experience. Its just hard to plan... when you just aren't sure.
FWIW, the wish granters have no control over this, and your local office might not either depending on your chapter organization and who controls cutting the expense checks (which is usually where things get held up). I was in a state once where the expense checks were cut in the big city four hours away and had to then be overnighted/mailed to our program office before we could finalize the packet and deliver it to the family. I could ask the local wish coordinator nicely, but she didn't have any more control over it than I did.

Once you get the packet, it should have all of the information you're looking for. But I never delivered the packet without the expense check because there's a piece of paperwork for you to sign that basically states you received everything, and we obviously can't get you to sign that until we have everything for you.

I did have to deliver packets the week of a wish sometimes, which I always hated because I knew it made my families crazy. But they did always get their information.

If you don't hear today or tomorrow, I'd call the chapter office (as opposed to your wish granters, who have no control over the packet or access to the information in it until it's in their hands and ready to deliver to you) again. If nothing else, they may be able to give you your flight information or confirmation number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter