Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is sooo cool!! You guys look great on camera. All those "sneak peeks" are fun too since I have absolutely no idea what to expect when we get there. The AA stuff was really neat too, what a great trip for you all.

I can't wait to read more about these trip from all of you who are back now. popcorn::

Thank you all for the kind words. I may have possibly ;) cried like a baby when we finally decided we couldn't go (9 hours before the limo was supposed to arrive), but we're doing better now.

I guess it's also good info to have out there for future wish trippers: be sure to have the Wish Organization's emergency number with you before your trip in case anything happens and you need to cancel. We felt just terrible about doing it, but they were very nice.

We are looking at November if there is any space at GKTW. I guess now I need to figure out what things are like there in November.

Thank you all for the kind words. I may have possibly ;) cried like a baby when we finally decided we couldn't go (9 hours before the limo was supposed to arrive), but we're doing better now.

I guess it's also good info to have out there for future wish trippers: be sure to have the Wish Organization's emergency number with you before your trip in case anything happens and you need to cancel. We felt just terrible about doing it, but they were very nice.

We are looking at November if there is any space at GKTW. I guess now I need to figure out what things are like there in November.

I'm so sorry you had to cancel and that the baby got sick!
As for November dates....it would be so fun if you got early November...there are a few of us there during the first 8 days. I think there are several others going later in the month too. I'm sure they'll get you rescheduled and you will all have an absolutely wonderful trip.
:wizard: a little extra pixie dust for good luck & a wonderful trip :wizard:

I would try to avoid directly going over Thanksgiving week...(although the crowds really are not projected to be horrible this year for some reason?)...but if you could go later in Nov...or even early Dec...you can catch the Christmas stuff in Disney. :cloud9: Well worth waiting a little extra time!! There are lots of cool things to do for the holidays and things you can't see any other time of the year. :)

We are going to be there from Nov. 29-Dec. 5. I don't think the crowds are supposed to be to bad and it will be completely decorated for Christmas. If you can get in, I have heard great things about early Nov. and early Dec.

I thought I would add this for everyone also. I know tickets are given by GKTW, but if anyone is thinking about adding any additional days on their own to Disney take a look at the following site. You give a gift and receive a ticket. The money goes to Florida Hospital for Children.

http://www.fhfoundation.com/Disney/mainpage/mainpage.htm

Made it in last night. Collin had a fantastic trip. He held up well and did not get too worn out. He did get tired some days but overall did pretty good. TR will be coming soon with lots of pics (of course). Good to be home, but sad it's over.

I FINALLY got my pre-trip done. Here is a link. Sorry I am so long winded!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=33984742#post33984742

Long winded is GOOD! We like long winded ;)

Our trip to Florida is coming up soon. We leave on October 31st for Florida. Two weeks on the Disney Magic and 5 days at the world. If any of you (pre or post trip) would like post cards for your wish kid and sibs, please pm me their names, address, favorite character and whether or not you've had your trip or it is yet to come (influences what the cards will say)

Happy Day, all!

Made it in last night. Collin had a fantastic trip. He held up well and did not get too worn out. He did get tired some days but overall did pretty good. TR will be coming soon with lots of pics (of course). Good to be home, but sad it's over.

So glad it sounds like you all had a great trip, will be looking forward to reading your TR :goodvibes

We finally got our dates and we are staying at GKTW..Feb 28 - March 6. It seems so far away.:cheer2:

I am going to try to start a PTR very soon. In the meantime I will introduce my family. I have my husband Mark, he is my rock. We seem to balance each other out with the stress of having a sick child. I also have DS Adam, he is 11 and my food shoppng buddy.
here is a picture of my wish child Maddie on her 4th birthday in August. She was diagnosed wi th Rhabdomyosarcoma in her right sinus and nasal cavity on April 27, 2009. She started her 1st chemo on May 1. We were sent to Boston 4 weeks later for radiation treatments for 8 weeks. She will continue to have chemo until the end of January. We decided to wait until she was done treatment and make her trip a celebration for her.

035-1.jpg

I think I mentioned earlier in the week Piper was battling a cold, after speaking with her Dr tonight (very low sats) we're probably going to start her on oxygen and home IV's on Monday. We're trying not to do a club med visit with H1N1 running so rampant right now. Any positive thoughts/prayers would be appreciated, it's only been three weeks since her last round of home IV's..

Deyki is starting to cough and has a low-grade fever. We are staying home from church so he can rest and not be exposed to more things. I am hoping this is nothing more than Hand, Foot, Mouth which we know is going around our circle of friends.

We finally got our dates and we are staying at GKTW..Feb 28 - March 6. It seems so far away.:cheer2:

I am going to try to start a PTR very soon. In the meantime I will introduce my family. I have my husband Mark, he is my rock. We seem to balance each other out with the stress of having a sick child. I also have DS Adam, he is 11 and my food shoppng buddy.
here is a picture of my wish child Maddie on her 4th birthday in August. She was diagnosed wi th Rhabdomyosarcoma in her right sinus and nasal cavity on April 27, 2009. She started her 1st chemo on May 1. We were sent to Boston 4 weeks later for radiation treatments for 8 weeks. She will continue to have chemo until the end of January. We decided to wait until she was done treatment and make her trip a celebration for her.

035-1.jpg
Welcome! I can't wait to hear about Maddie's trip! I hope the chemo continues to go well! :welcome:

I think I mentioned earlier in the week Piper was battling a cold, after speaking with her Dr tonight (very low sats) we're probably going to start her on oxygen and home IV's on Monday. We're trying not to do a club med visit with H1N1 running so rampant right now. Any positive thoughts/prayers would be appreciated, it's only been three weeks since her last round of home IV's..

We will say prayers that the home treatment works for Piper. This time of year the flu is scary!

Deyki is starting to cough and has a low-grade fever. We are staying home from church so he can rest and not be exposed to more things. I am hoping this is nothing more than Hand, Foot, Mouth which we know is going around our circle of friends.

It sounds as if you have been through so much and now to have Deyki sick too! Hang in there! :grouphug: We will send some prayers your way too!

I love the princess cake! She looks so sweet. We are waiting on info for our dates, but I'm hoping for Feb or March too. I look forward to reading your plans!

Gosh, I hope everybody manages to avoid the flu - staying home was probably a real good idea!

I spent 8 miserable hours in the ER on Friday, but I kept telling myself it was nothing compared to what your kids go through! Time passed. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to keep children calm under such uncomfortable conditions.

Our trip to Florida is coming up soon. We leave on October 31st for Florida. Two weeks on the Disney Magic and 5 days at the world. If any of you (pre or post trip) would like post cards for your wish kid and sibs, please pm me their names, address, favorite character and whether or not you've had your trip or it is yet to come (influences what the cards will say)

Also, my volunteer stint at GKTW Village will be Martin Luther King weekend (another post card opportunity) If any of you are there at that time, I'll hope to run into you at the ice cream parlor or the carrousel.

Hope y'all have a real good day.

Fairy grandma Linda

PS, Maddie looks like a princess! Hope the chemo goes WELL!

Most of you guys know that I have been doing research on the swine flu and keeping up with the news, because of Lauren and Rachel and work responsibilities.

New guidelines were released by the CDC just an hour or so ago.

There are MANY of you guys that are sick with flu like symptoms, but the healthcare providers are calling it something else. Many people I know have had a negative flu test, so they are presumed to NOT have the flu and not getting treated with antivirals because of a negative test result.

Here are the new guidelines:

The CDC has released an advisory...I have bolded parts of this...

Link to source:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm

"Recommendations for Early Empiric Antiviral Treatment in Persons with Suspected Influenza who are at Increased Risk of Developing Severe Disease

Summary Recommendations: When treatment of influenza is indicated in a patient with suspected influenza, health care providers should initiate empiric antiviral treatment as soon as possible. Waiting for laboratory confirmation of influenza to begin treatment with antiviral drugs is not necessary. Patients with a negative rapid influenza diagnostic test should be considered for treatment if clinically indicated because a negative rapid influenza test result does not rule out influenza virus infection. The sensitivity of rapid influenza diagnostic tests for 2009 H1N1 virus can range from 10% to 70%, indicating that false negative results occur frequently.

Early empiric treatment should be considered for persons with suspected or confirmed influenza who are at higher risk for complications, even if not hospitalized, including:

o Children younger than 2 years old

o Adults 65 years and older

o Pregnant women

o Persons with the following conditions:

· Chronic pulmonary (including asthma), cardiovascular (except hypertension), renal, hepatic, hematological (including sickle cell disease), or metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus);

· Disorders that that can compromise respiratory function or the handling of respiratory secretions or that can increase the risk for aspiration (e.g., cognitive dysfunction, spinal cord injuries, seizure disorders, or other neuromuscular disorders)

· Immunosuppression, including that caused by medications or by HIV;

· Persons younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy, because of an increased risk for Reye syndrome.

I am concerned for our wish kids and their families. I hope that everyone sees this and passes it on to your circle of influence, too. I am hoping with the new guildelines that providers will start prescribing more Tamiflu and hopefully help prevent some of the deaths we have seen so far in the flu season.

Hugs to all of you! :grouphug:

Most of you guys know that I have been doing research on the swine flu and keeping up with the news, because of Lauren and Rachel and work responsibilities.

New guidelines were released by the CDC just an hour or so ago.

There are MANY of you guys that are sick with flu like symptoms, but the healthcare providers are calling it something else. Many people I know have had a negative flu test, so they are presumed to NOT have the flu and not getting treated with antivirals because of a negative test result.

Here are the new guidelines:

The CDC has released an advisory...I have bolded parts of this...

Link to source:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm

"Recommendations for Early Empiric Antiviral Treatment in Persons with Suspected Influenza who are at Increased Risk of Developing Severe Disease

Summary Recommendations: When treatment of influenza is indicated in a patient with suspected influenza, health care providers should initiate empiric antiviral treatment as soon as possible. Waiting for laboratory confirmation of influenza to begin treatment with antiviral drugs is not necessary. Patients with a negative rapid influenza diagnostic test should be considered for treatment if clinically indicated because a negative rapid influenza test result does not rule out influenza virus infection. The sensitivity of rapid influenza diagnostic tests for 2009 H1N1 virus can range from 10% to 70%, indicating that false negative results occur frequently.

Early empiric treatment should be considered for persons with suspected or confirmed influenza who are at higher risk for complications, even if not hospitalized, including:

o Children younger than 2 years old

o Adults 65 years and older

o Pregnant women

o Persons with the following conditions:

· Chronic pulmonary (including asthma), cardiovascular (except hypertension), renal, hepatic, hematological (including sickle cell disease), or metabolic disorders (including diabetes mellitus);

· Disorders that that can compromise respiratory function or the handling of respiratory secretions or that can increase the risk for aspiration (e.g., cognitive dysfunction, spinal cord injuries, seizure disorders, or other neuromuscular disorders)

· Immunosuppression, including that caused by medications or by HIV;

· Persons younger than 19 years of age who are receiving long-term aspirin therapy, because of an increased risk for Reye syndrome.

I am concerned for our wish kids and their families. I hope that everyone sees this and passes it on to your circle of influence, too. I am hoping with the new guildelines that providers will start prescribing more Tamiflu and hopefully help prevent some of the deaths we have seen so far in the flu season.

Hugs to all of you! :grouphug:

Thank you soooo much for posting this. I actually called Aidan's oncologist today to find out if they had the vaccine. I can't believe that a childrens' hospital that treats high risk kids has NO vaccines. We are going on his MAW trip next month and I am very concerned about the plane ride. I also have a 5 month old that can't be vaccinated yet. At least I know now to call my ped as soon as anyone shows flu symptoms and both kids would get immediate treatment.

If I had a high risk child that was flying...they would be wearing a mask and I would have them putting hand sanitizer on all the time. Especially on the way. We will do that next time with Lauren - because she got sick on her wish trip from the plane, and that was a bummer!

With the flu - I would put a mask on her both ways.

And I would get a script for Tamiflu that I could "fill" if we needed it. IF you can get your provider to give you one. I have had no trouble here...as long as they trust me to only fill it if we had to have it. Filling it before we need it is not fair to those people that are sick and need it now. :(

Yep...we have no vaccine here either. Even as a part of the high risk population we can't get it. I spent the morning making calls. Then I picked up Melia from preschool and she was lethargic with a fever, cough, and headache. I had some Tamiflu still and started her on it, then she started puking.

I really hate this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter