• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no! That is awful! I will pray for her and their family. Stories like this, where coumadin fails, really scare me. Did they put her on a different blood thinner, such as Lovenox, now? She probably shouldn't be back on coumadin. I know that's the least of her worries right now, but she doesn't want to get more blood clots when she gets out of the hospital.

Thank you for your prayers.

They definitely discontinued the coumadin. She was not on it very long, honestly, and was about to be able to get off of it. But now she is in ICU. I am not sure what they are using for blood thinners, if anything.

Right now I just hope she gets her mobility back. Life can change in an instant.

We recieved our welcome package from GKTW today also. My dd started dancing around. It is so neat to see her this excited. (of course my dd and my ds argued over who was going to open it so I had to intervene and open it for them.)

It is becoming so real now and I think I am getting more excited than my kids even.

Should my ds bring his darth vader outfit for the Jedi thingy? He has always loved star wars and I know he isn't the wish child but would love for him to have a good chance at being picked for the training. Would a darth vader t-shirt be better?

:woohoo: How awesome is that?!?!

I think the Darth Vader costume or T-Shirt would be cool! :)

I love when the mail comes these days...got more big give stuff and Our GKTW welcome package...Oh I am getting so excited.....:banana::banana:

:yay: So cool! Isn't it nice...Your home for a week!!

I just read...on another thread...that the GM VIP Lounge and Front of the Line Access area have been temporarily closed.

For those of you guys planning on seeing the GM VIP Lounge...that won't be happening at this point. And I am not sure what they will do with the "button" on this ride?

So, you guys that are going in the near future...If you find yourself at Epcot and riding Test Track, let us know what they do about the line for you guys so we can let the folks around here know. :goodvibes I would assume they will send you through the Fast Pass entrance? :confused3

Thank you all for praying for Lauren's family!

You will get the GAC and GKTW button from GKTW when you get there. It doesn't matter that she can walk, etc. All Wish Kids get the same one.

This is not exactly true...

GKTW will give you a Green Light pass...Past Wish Families...PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on this.

I don't want any future wish family to worry that they may not get a GAC that allows them front of the line access......

ALL GKTW wish families get the highest level GAC, regardless of their medical condition - this is the way it has been over a year and we have had no families report back (regardless of their condition) that this was different for them. They no longer will let Wish Granting organizations without a life threatening illness send kids at all to GKTW. kdzbear can attest to this, unfortunately. So, if your child has been granted a wish and is staying at GKTW, they will pre-issue you a GAC. You don't have to request anything, like you would a "normal" GAC in the parks. It will come already done in your orientation packet.

Future wish families, please don't worry that you won't get the GAC...you will get one! ::yes::

That's what I was always told (about GKTW giving Green Light Passes) but I actually got into trouble with the mods on the DISabilities board about this because apparently several families were not given this pass and when they heard about were no longer happy with their wish trip. So all my posts were edited and I wasn't even allowed to say it. :confused3 In light of that, I would hate for anybody to be disappointed. That was the first I had heard of it, but like I said, I got into some significant touble for saying anything.

That's what I was always told (about GKTW giving Green Light Passes) but I actually got into trouble with the mods on the DISabilities board about this because apparently several families were not given this pass and when they heard about were no longer happy with their wish trip. So all my posts were edited and I wasn't even allowed to say it. :confused3 In light of that, I would hate for anybody to be disappointed. That was the first I had heard of it, but like I said, I got into some significant touble for saying anything.

Uh oh. :eek: I am confident, because we went on a wish trip and I have read every TR since 07, that the GAC should be good for all GKTW wish families...BUT, it does apply only to "life threatening" conditions families staying at GKTW. Some Wish families don't stay at GKTW...they stay other places and it is not the same trip...which definitely can lead to some confusion. But if they are staying at GKTW, then they should be fine on the GAC.

But...you are right...we probably should cease this discussion, I don't want to get in trouble and it really isn't info that anyone except future wish families need anyway...(and I pretty much PM them info like this anyway)...

I doubt we would get into trouble on this thread. While over all I like the DISabilities board, I think they get a little too sensitive sometimes. I have known Wish famlies who stayed on WDW property either because GKTW was full or that was part of their Wish and they always had the green light pass, and the button. So I'm not sure who the mod was referring to. But I guess if that is a possibility, families need to be aware.

No, sorry...let me clarify...

There are 3 types of wish families...

Group 1: Those that are guests of GKTW and stay on GKTW property - they stay full time at GKTW and can eat, play, etc at GKTW and sleep there!

Group 2: There are guests of GKTW that stay on Disney property (we did this) - they stay full time at the Disney resort, but they can eat, play etc at GKTW, but they can't sleep there. They are allowed to go to any party and everything, they just can't sleep at GKTW.

Group 3: Then there are guests of some wish organizations that send children to Disney that don't qualify to stay at GKTW....these kids don't have access to GKTW at all and are completely sponsored by the wish organization. The wish organization makes all arrangements and I have no idea what buttons, etc that they get.

but the first two groups go through GKTW orientation and get the same GAC, button as the families staying on GKTW property.

And, you are right...I would never write the stuff that I write here on the DISabilities board...I would get flamed. lol

That is why I just send the Wish families over here and why we have this thread buried on the "community board" where people are not so likely to happen upon it...unless they are specifically looking (or have followed a siggie link). Of course, anyone can lurk. :confused3

In the past the third group has received green light passes, and many times the organizations will give them a button that identifies the organization. I believe the one I see the most is Dream Factory. Even though the kids didn't have GKTW buttosn they did have the passes. Maybe that is the one that has changed.

Thank you both for clearing this up. I hope noone gets into trouble for responding. :guilty:
It does help me to know what to expect so I will be more prepared with the time we have. (Like if we had to wait in all lines etc. we would have way less time for other stuff.)

Maroo I am still praying for you all.

So, we are trying to plan a character meal. I know that we are going to DisneyLAND, but I thought they might be close to the ones at WDW. We are looking at the Chip 'n Dale, Breakfast with Minnie in the Park, or Goofy's. Dev said no to the Princess meal :confused3 I don't know why...:rotfl: Any thoughts?

Hello again everyone!

I'm starting the planning for my daughter Azaria's MAW trip again...Don't know if you remember but her trip was originally scheduled in May. We canceled the trip, and I am now happy to say it has been rescheduled to October 20th!

Wow, I am always amazed at the way things work out, and how listening to your intuition is so important. I'm so glad we rescheduled. Azaria, my husband and our youngest son ended up getting very sick the day before we were supposed to leave! They all got sick with fever, chills, sore throat, and were sick for 3-4 days. My mom ended up having emergency surgery (she has stage 4 cancer), and if that wasn't enough to deal with our house caught on fire. REALLY! An empty field behind our house caught fire, the winds blew the fire straight for our home and it burned up our backyard, the landscaping, most of our trees and set our roof on fire in three places! Our house is ok, the fire dept was already containing the field fire when the wind blew it toward our house. They were able to stop it from burning down our home, but our backyard is toast and we have a lot of smoke damage inside.

So, even though we were disappointed when we canceled the trip, we are SO grateful that we decided to stay home! I also found out from a friend who lives in Orlando that it was very hot and humid that week, and Azaria does not tolerate the heat due to her condition and medications. I learned a real lesson on listening to my gut instinct since I often question myself when it comes to decision making!

Well, I just wanted to get back on here, say hi, and start planning again! I started a new pre-trip thread (I was unable to update the one I had originally created), here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2195434

I have a lot of reading and catching up to do so here I go!

:) Debi

Wow Debbi! When it rains it poors. I'm glad you were able to get things rescheduled and that it sounds like things are going to work out this time. Welcome back!

My DD loves High School Musical. Someone had mentioned a HSM show or ride?? while at Disney. Anyone know where this is or what it is?

Thank you both for clearing this up. I hope noone gets into trouble for responding. :guilty:
It does help me to know what to expect so I will be more prepared with the time we have. (Like if we had to wait in all lines etc. we would have way less time for other stuff.)

Maroo I am still praying for you all.

Thank you for praying for us. There is very little change today. The neuro came in yesterday and said that she is not able to press much against his hands with her feet and legs. This is not a good sign, but she has not started rehab yet.

So, we are trying to plan a character meal. I know that we are going to DisneyLAND, but I thought they might be close to the ones at WDW. We are looking at the Chip 'n Dale, Breakfast with Minnie in the Park, or Goofy's. Dev said no to the Princess meal :confused3 I don't know why...:rotfl: Any thoughts?

Gosh...I am CLUELESS about DisneyLAND. Isn't there a DisneyLAND forum on these boards? If so, I would post over there and see if you can get any ideas...because they will be the experts! And then let us know what they say and we can document it for future wish trippers to DisneyLAND.

Hello again everyone!

I'm starting the planning for my daughter Azaria's MAW trip again...Don't know if you remember but her trip was originally scheduled in May. We canceled the trip, and I am now happy to say it has been rescheduled to October 20th!

Wow, I am always amazed at the way things work out, and how listening to your intuition is so important. I'm so glad we rescheduled. Azaria, my husband and our youngest son ended up getting very sick the day before we were supposed to leave! They all got sick with fever, chills, sore throat, and were sick for 3-4 days. My mom ended up having emergency surgery (she has stage 4 cancer), and if that wasn't enough to deal with our house caught on fire. REALLY! An empty field behind our house caught fire, the winds blew the fire straight for our home and it burned up our backyard, the landscaping, most of our trees and set our roof on fire in three places! Our house is ok, the fire dept was already containing the field fire when the wind blew it toward our house. They were able to stop it from burning down our home, but our backyard is toast and we have a lot of smoke damage inside.

So, even though we were disappointed when we canceled the trip, we are SO grateful that we decided to stay home! I also found out from a friend who lives in Orlando that it was very hot and humid that week, and Azaria does not tolerate the heat due to her condition and medications. I learned a real lesson on listening to my gut instinct since I often question myself when it comes to decision making!

Well, I just wanted to get back on here, say hi, and start planning again! I started a new pre-trip thread (I was unable to update the one I had originally created), here is the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2195434

I have a lot of reading and catching up to do so here I go!

:) Debi

I am so glad that you guys rescheduled!! October is a wonderful time to go! We loved it!

Are you guys planning to do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party? If so, I would go ahead and get tickets...if you are pretty sure you will be able to attend.

They tend to sell out the closer they get to October 31. This is a good option for Wish Families because it "buys" an extra "day" at Magic Kingdom and you only get three full days otherwise. You are allowed to get in the park at 4:00 PM even though the party starts at 7:00, so you could do another half day park that morning, go rest for a while and then head out for the party (which ends at midnight, but you can, of course, leave earlier). We saw some rare characters at that party. They even have all 7 drawves.

My DD loves High School Musical. Someone had mentioned a HSM show or ride?? while at Disney. Anyone know where this is or what it is?

It is a show at DHS. It runs a few times a day and is outside by the hat somewhere, I think. We missed it when we were there because they were changing over to HSM3 and learning their new moves.

Dine with Shamu at Sea World

I have, in the past, recommended this buffet at Sea World. One of the DISboards correspondents has done a blog that describes this more in detail and I am going to post it for you guys...

However...some disclaimers...this is from Sea World in SAN DIEGO. There are some notable differences between this one and Orlando.

Dine with Shamu in SAN DIEGO - Similar to the one in Orlando! See DISCLAIMERS below, though :)

The first major difference is that Shamu does not automatically come up to your table like it shows in the pictures here. There is not a white platform where Shamu comes up. But he did swim around for us right by our table. I also don't remember a Shamu shapped chocolate dessert.

But the food is GREAT! Much better than other Sea World food venues.

And we had banana's foster. It was YUMMY!!!!

If I was doing the Wish Trip all over again, I would get to Sea World around 10, feed the dolphins and take awesome pics, feed the stingrays, and do the Dine with Shamu meal (around 11:15 when we were there) and then use our VIP seats (from the meal) to see the Shamu main show. We would be done around 2:00. Then we could leave, because we were pretty much done by then anyway. Then you could do an extra park (maybe Universal) for the afternoon or maybe do Sea World on a "rest" day for your family and spend the rest of the day at GKTW.

We saw it when we were there last week. It is outside by the big hat. It is a float that comes in and parks by the hat. My girls loved it. Landon was even entertained by the singing and dancing. They do pull a few people from the audience so if that is something your child would want then sit at the front.

Goofy's Kitchen in the DL Hotel is a lot of fun and the food is good. However, you never know what characters you will get. We went for dinner last October and got Goofy, Chip, Dale, Mulan, Fairy Godmother, Minnie, Pluto and I think that is it. If you go to my pre-trip report: Tyler's Wish trip, there is a link to my trip report from last October and I have pictures of the characters we saw. I also learned that even if you are an hour late, they will never cancel your reservation! I have also eaten there twice before and it was always a lot of fun:wizard:

It's over:sad1:....my trip report that is!
I finished it up last night....makes it feel so final!:confused:
But we talk daily about the awesome memories that were made during that 1 short week!
Thanks for those of you who had followed along on our journey!
I have become addicted to this board.....as well as all things Disney!
SO I plan on sticking around!

It's over:sad1:....my trip report that is!
I finished it up last night....makes it feel so final!:confused:
But we talk daily about the awesome memories that were made during that 1 short week!
Thanks for those of you who had followed along on our journey!
I have become addicted to this board.....as well as all things Disney!
SO I plan on sticking around!

Aww...I remember that feeling. Of course, it was 4 months before I finished my TR...:rolleyes1 Maybe it was the fact that it was OVER once it was over... :sad1:

But, you have done a great job doing it so well and so fast...so you captured all of your memories and will be able to look back on those for years to come!

And I see that it may not be the last time you guys get to enjoy Disney...it is definitely a multiple trip destination! :goodvibes

Ok, I admit that it's been a long while since I've been on the boards, but I've taken a small peak and I see that Maroo is going through some hard times? Ok, so like, when I have time, I will actually go back through the pages and read and fill myself in, but in the mean time, I just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you Maroo.

Of course all the wish families are always on my mind and prayer list.

Ok, I admit that it's been a long while since I've been on the boards, but I've taken a small peak and I see that Maroo is going through some hard times? Ok, so like, when I have time, I will actually go back through the pages and read and fill myself in, but in the mean time, I just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you Maroo.

Of course all the wish families are always on my mind and prayer list.

I, personally, am actually doing fairly well! :) Little bit sick, probably from wearing myself out on our big trip... but I am doing well. It is Lauren's family that is having such a hard time. For me, it just means that I am spending more time with Lauren and family...which is cool with me!

But Lauren's grandmother is not doing well at this point. Her doctor came by and said that she is really not able to press on his hands with her feet, which is not a good sign at all at this point. We are coming to the realization that she may actually not walk again. :sad1:

The implications to their family are vast.

Anyway...please keep them in your prayers!! And you can pray for me anytime! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter