• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just wanted to send a quick update about our trip. We have sort of been in limbo on whether we are going on our trip or not, it's scheduled in just 3 days! We had a few concerns, some of which I've shared with you all here, and this weekend we had our family over and we asked their opinions. I think I was really making myself sick over it because I kept stressing on it all weekend. Anyway, last night TJ (my husband) and I decided we would talk to the wish coordinator and see what she recommends. We left her a message on Friday, so we expected to hear from her today.

TJ spoke with her earlier, and she was so nice and understanding about our concerns and said that if it her, and Azaria was her child, she would postpone! That was such a huge relief and at that moment I came to the realization that all along I had been stressing about what MAW would think if we postponed. I didn't want to upset or inconvenience anyone. I was so glad she said not too worry, she would take care of everything and had already made some calls over the weekend to GKTW and told them we may not be going.

So, what a relief! Although, we are sad we aren't leaving in just a few days. I had put a lot of time into Azaria's pre trip report, and had begun packing medical supplies, clothes, games, etc. The kids are excited about going this week, so I will have to really plan something exciting for them to make up for it. (Yikes!) We will not be able to go this summer because of the heat and we have other commitments through September. So the dates we gave our wish coordinator are October 20-29, 2009, which will include Azaria's birthday on the 26th. I feel really good about those dates.

Thanks for listening to me , I really hope I haven't sounded like a crazy person over the past week! I've had a lot on my plate and was really trying to push myself through it all, and plan the most fabulous wish trip. It's been one of those "you've got to be kidding me!" weeks. If you only knew the half of it...

I will update Azaria's pre-trip report soon and start the planning process all over again. Thanks again for all your support!

Debi Baker

Hello,

Just wanted to send a quick update about our trip. We have sort of been in limbo on whether we are going on our trip or not, it's scheduled in just 3 days! We had a few concerns, some of which I've shared with you all here, and this weekend we had our family over and we asked their opinions. I think I was really making myself sick over it because I kept stressing on it all weekend. Anyway, last night TJ (my husband) and I decided we would talk to the wish coordinator and see what she recommends. We left her a message on Friday, so we expected to hear from her today.

TJ spoke with her earlier, and she was so nice and understanding about our concerns and said that if it her, and Azaria was her child, she would postpone! That was such a huge relief and at that moment I came to the realization that all along I had been stressing about what MAW would think if we postponed. I didn't want to upset or inconvenience anyone. I was so glad she said not too worry, she would take care of everything and had already made some calls over the weekend to GKTW and told them we may not be going.

So, what a relief! Although, we are sad we aren't leaving in just a few days. I had put a lot of time into Azaria's pre trip report, and had begun packing medical supplies, clothes, games, etc. The kids are excited about going this week, so I will have to really plan something exciting for them to make up for it. (Yikes!) We will not be able to go this summer because of the heat and we have other commitments through September. So the dates we gave our wish coordinator are October 20-29, 2009, which will include Azaria's birthday on the 26th. I feel really good about those dates.

Thanks for listening to me , I really hope I haven't sounded like a crazy person over the past week! I've had a lot on my plate and was really trying to push myself through it all, and plan the most fabulous wish trip. It's been one of those "you've got to be kidding me!" weeks. If you only knew the half of it...

I will update Azaria's pre-trip report soon and start the planning process all over again. Thanks again for all your support!

Debi Baker

Well I am glad the MAW lady was supportive for you! Now you will have plenty of time to plan an awesome trip for your little princess!

Hello,

Debi Baker

Oh, I am so glad you made a decision that you feel good about!! :) I am thankful that the MAW rep was so encouraging and not snarky about you changing.

I am sure you are not the only one.

It will be fun to plan all over again! :) The planning was all part of the fun for us!

Thank you Maroo!! I was just trying to get caught up on reading this board (I still have lots more reading to do) and saw your post.

I have some questions, and wasn't sure if I should post them here or on my PTR, but I figure more people probably read this board. Maybe I should let everyone know that we have never been to Disney before, so I have no idea what a lot of the abbreviations mean (trying to learn it all).

1. What is 1900 Park Fare?
2. How do I do a "must do " list with a 4 year old old that has no clue? I'm guessing I will just choose the things I think he will enjoy.
3. We leave May 16th, and we have not heard from the wish volunteers to set up a time to meet to get the details of the trip. I am a planner, so I'm hoping they call soon. I just don't want to bother them by calling (but I may have to if I don't hear from them in the next couple days). When do they normally meet with you to give you all the info? I can do most of the planning, the only thing I think they were scheduling for us was a character meal at Chef Mickey's, so I need to know what day and time that is so I can work around it.
4. I saw a recommendation for eating at Backstage at Believe at Sea World. Is it too late for us to make reservations for this?
5. Here is my biggest question: We (my husband and I) are traveling with our 4 year old wish child (Luke) and his 18 month old sister (Madeleine). She is a very clingy, fussy child (cutting teeth may be partly to blame), and they both still take a 2-3 hour nap daily. I would love trip itenerary(sp) suggestions on how to plan this trip. I've heard there are some parks you can combine into one day (1 in the am and 1 in the pm). If we were going to leave out a park, which would you recommend (I just don't think we can do it all)? How feasible is it to go back to GKTW for naps?

I am starting to feel very overwhelmed. You have no idea how happy I am to have found you guys!!

Thank you,
Michelle

Hey guys!

I hope you are all having a good day!!!

I have a new Wish Trip to share with you guys!!

Meet Luke:
Luke's Make a Wish Trip!

Luke's Mom posted some precious pics! :) :love:

Hello,

Debi Baker

I'm so glad that you've come to a decision that you are happy with, and that the MAW coordinator was so understanding. And horray for new dates!!:woohoo:

Another question, would you recommend going to a water park while on a make-a-wish trip? My son really loved the one at Gatlinburg (Dollywood), but we have some things in this area that would probably be just as mesmerizing for him (in the Cincinnati area).

Michelle

Thank you Maroo!! I was just trying to get caught up on reading this board (I still have lots more reading to do) and saw your post.

You are very welcome! You should get some activity over on your pre-trippie now! :)

I have some questions, and wasn't sure if I should post them here or on my PTR, but I figure more people probably read this board. Maybe I should let everyone know that we have never been to Disney before, so I have no idea what a lot of the abbreviations mean (trying to learn it all).

You can post your questions either place...probably here is good since you guys are leaving in days and they may not see them on hte pre-trippie yet.

Awesome! First Disney trip - you are going to LOVE it! :)

A character buffet at the Grand Floridian. I can't remember all of the characters...someone will have to help me there. It is Prince Charming and others. Character buffets are fun and expensive. But a good way to see characters that you could otherwise miss. www.allears.net is a great place to find a list of all restaurants with current menus, prices, where they are located, etc. Just click on the Dining section. :)

2. How do I do a "must do " list with a 4 year old old that has no clue? I'm guessing I will just choose the things I think he will enjoy.

The good news is...He will love it all!! If you know of a character he will love to meet, you might want to plan that. But you can totally go with the flow on a Wish trip and be perfectly fine! :) He will get to meet lots of characters at GKTW.

3. We leave May 16th, and we have not heard from the wish volunteers to set up a time to meet to get the details of the trip. I am a planner, so I'm hoping they call soon. I just don't want to bother them by calling (but I may have to if I don't hear from them in the next couple days). When do they normally meet with you to give you all the info? I can do most of the planning, the only thing I think they were scheduling for us was a character meal at Chef Mickey's, so I need to know what day and time that is so I can work around it.

Yeah...MAW should call you this week. If not, feel free to call them. :) You are certainly close enough to your trip to call for some details and not feel bad at all.

I think most MAW chapters meet with the families the week before. Most don't give you your check til days before in case something strange happens and someone needs to cancel.

Chef Mickey's will be so fun! :)

4. I saw a recommendation for eating at Backstage at Believe at Sea World. Is it too late for us to make reservations for this?

I probably recommended this! I LOVED it! :) I think you could call now for that. We were pretty last minute in calling. In fact, you can wait till after you hear from MAW, probably. I don't think many people know about it. Let us know how you like it, if you end up doing it! :)

5. Here is my biggest question: We (my husband and I) are traveling with our 4 year old wish child (Luke) and his 18 month old sister (Madeleine). She is a very clingy, fussy child (cutting teeth may be partly to blame), and they both still take a 2-3 hour nap daily. I would love trip itenerary(sp) suggestions on how to plan this trip. I've heard there are some parks you can combine into one day (1 in the am and 1 in the pm). If we were going to leave out a park, which would you recommend (I just don't think we can do it all)? How feasible is it to go back to GKTW for naps?

It is very feasible to go back to GKTW for naps. I think most families do breakfast at GKTW and head to the parks in the mid morning. Then some come back to GKTW for a few hours and then head back out for the evening.

You could leave out a park. We left out AK. If I had children your age, I would probably leave out Epcot or DHS. There are things at both of those parks, of course, for them, but if you had to pick one to let go.

AK is a "half day park" and could probably be done in one morning (it closes earlier than the others).

I am starting to feel very overwhelmed. You have no idea how happy I am to have found you guys!!

:hug: Bless your heart! Please don't be overwhelmed! The vast majority of families go with no knowledge at all. They will tell you a lot when you have your GKTW orientation. You will have so much fun, especially if you just go with the flow.

They have LOTS to do at GKTW and if that was all there was to the trip, it would still be wonderful. Disney, Universal, Sea World...icing on the cake! :)

The only thing I might suggest is doing Universal fairly early in the trip in case you decide to do a second day there. Several of the past few families that have come back wished they had done it earlier.

Thank you,
Michelle

Another question, would you recommend going to a water park while on a make-a-wish trip? My son really loved the one at Gatlinburg (Dollywood), but we have some things in this area that would probably be just as mesmerizing for him (in the Cincinnati area).

Michelle

Of course, totally up to you...if your son would love it, then go for it!

But...honestly...I think there are lots of magical moments that happen only on a wish trip - that are started because of the GKTW special button - and if you are at a water park, you can't really even wear it. So, that aspect is sort of not there.

Being your first Disney trip...
I would focus on Magic Kingdom...

And because it is a wish trip and they are awesome - I would do Universal for sure, too! :)

And Sea World is great, too...but not as "wish trip magical"...if that makes sense. Although, you guys have to feed the dolphins...at least!! :)

Thank you,
Michelle

Welcome Michelle,

I can answer a couple of your questions.

1) 1900 Park Fare is a restaurant in the Grand Floridian resort that offers character buffets. Here is a link to their menu/prices...
http://www.allears.net/menu/men_19d.htm

Their breakfast includes Mary Poppins, Alice and the Mad Hatter.
Their dinner includes Cinderella, Prince Charming and I think the stepsisters as well.

2) Hmmm...I would probably just make a list of the things you think he'd enjoy most.

3) We got all our info about 2 weeks before we left, although for many families it is often the week before you leave.

4) ?? Not sure, you'd probably just have to call and ask.

5) Will your kids take naps in the strollers? GKTW is a fair ways from the parks. It would take alot of time out of your day to go back for a nap. Our son napped well in his stroller which worked out good. Also don't forget about the wish lounges. The magic kingdom wish lounge is a perfect place for a nap. If I were to do it again, I would probably leave out Seaworld, but that's just my opinion.

The main thing is...You can't do it all. Just enjoy the parks you can see and don't worry...the kids will have no idea what they missed!

Lauren spent 2 days in the room sick, missing Epcot and we never even planned AK (because of her limitations and age) and they still had the best trip of their whole lives! :)

tinytreasures kids missed Universal and did the beach instead and they loved that, too!

It is magical, wonderful - you are going to have a wonderful time! :)

What is 1900 Park Fare?

It is a character buffet at the Grand Floridian Hotel which is a short monorail ride from MK (Magic Kingdom). At breakfast the characters are Tigger, Pooh, Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter (Disney disclaimer---- characters are subject to change LOL) They have a great breakfast buffet that has all types of items.

Taken from allears.com

Breads and Pastries - assorted sliced breads, croissants, English muffins, bagels, pecan sticky bun, strawberry and apple turnovers, cheese danish, apple, granola and blueberry muffins, cream cheese, strawberry jam and grape jelly

Cold Buffet - flavored yogurts, fresh fruits, cottage cheese, ambrosia, stewed plums, chilled strawberry soup, assortment of cereals, house-made granola, Edy's Soft Serve ice cream with an array of toppings, Peaches, pears, applesauce, Jello-O, Rice Krispie Treats

Hot Buffet - Chef's preparation of custom eggs and build your own omelets, bacon, sausage links, scrambled eggs, cheese blintz, strawberry melba, apple cobbler, peach and white chocolate bread pudding with vanilla sauce, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, Spanish scramble, mini pancakes, Mickey waffles, fresh Challah bread French toast, country-style biscuits and gravy, grits, oatmeal and shredded triangle potato

Dinner is great too. The characters are Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine (stepmother) Drizella & Anastasia (stepsisters). The step sisters are quite funny- fighting with each other, screaming across the dining room, running around.

Starters - spring mixed greens, Caesar Salad, Dressings, Broccoli Salad with cashews, Greek salad, ambrosia, tomato mozzarella salad, macaroni salad, apple with port vinaigrette, peel and eat shrimp

Soups - cream of mushroom, tomato florentine, and chilled strawberry

Accompaniments - sweet potato and red bliss mashed potatoe, brown gravy, carrot and broccoli medley, sauteed squash with chives, niblet corn

Entrees - Chef's freshly prepared pasta, roasted prime rib of beef, mojo marinated turkey breast, salmon with a caper butter sauce, curry chicken with Israeli couscous, apple chutney stuffed pork loin with apple glaze, portobello raviolis with a pesto cream, mussels in ginger broth, salmon with a dill cream sauce, chicken marsala, cheese lasagna, Italian sausage with peppers, chorizo stuffed pork loin with mango barbeque sauce, vegetable egg rolls, mussels in tomato broth

Children's Corner - chicken nuggets, cheese and macaroni, mini corn dogs, pasta marinara, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, niblet corn, cheese pizza and fresh vegetables

Desserts - apple cobbler, bread pudding, brownies, key lime tarts, linzer torte, rice krispie treats, chocolate chip cookies, lemon cheesecake tart, Edy's Soft Serve Ice Cream

Welcome Michelle,

I can answer a couple of your questions.

1) 1900 Park Fare is a restaurant in the Grand Floridian resort that offers character buffets. Here is a link to their menu/prices...
http://www.allears.net/menu/men_19d.htm

Their breakfast includes Mary Poppins, Alice and the Mad Hatter.
Their dinner includes Cinderella, Prince Charming and I think the stepsisters as well.

2) Hmmm...I would probably just make a list of the things you think he'd enjoy most.

3) We got all our info about 2 weeks before we left, although for many families it is often the week before you leave.

4) ?? Not sure, you'd probably just have to call and ask.

5) Will your kids take naps in the strollers? GKTW is a fair ways from the parks. It would take alot of time out of your day to go back for a nap. Our son napped well in his stroller which worked out good. Also don't forget about the wish lounges. The magic kingdom wish lounge is a perfect place for a nap. If I were to do it again, I would probably leave out Seaworld, but that's just my opinion.

Exactly! ::yes::

Very good point about the napping in the stroller! :) And the Wish Lounges! :)

I think we would leave out Sea World, too...but maybe just stop by there and feed the dolphins.

We mainly went to Sea World to feed the dolphins. But keep in mind, even just doing that takes a while. It's alot of walking just from your car to the main entrance. wooh. Once you're there, you get hooked and end up walking around most of the park. It ended up being a whole day for us. oops.

My 2 year never took a nap. She was tired all right, but too tired to take a nap in a stroller. The village is not TOO far, but it's still a drive and it takes a good chunk our of your day. You may get lucky and have your kids nap in the strollers.

We took a day and went to the ocean. We did it the day before our last day. It was sort of like a relaxing break for us. We at least weren't walking miles there.

I can't give you any info about 1900 Park Fare. I can tell you that the lunch at Cinderella's Castle was awesome when we went two years ago. My son was 4 at the time. I was hesitant at first to take him, but the lady on the ADR line told me that they treat boys "extra special", and they were right. The Princesses (Aurora, Snow White, Jasmine, Mary Poppins, Belle and Cinderella) spent a lot of time with my little boy. They also get sabres and "Wishing Stars" (and ironically, his wish was to come back to Disney World, which we're doing!). He definitely enjoyed it! If you don't have your heart set on 1900 Park, I would totally recommend Cinderella's castle. Oh BTW, the food was great too.

Chef Mickeys-I didn't actually go to this, but my sister-in-law took her two kids, who at the time were 3 and 2. They enjoyed it immensely! You make the meal and color a chef's hat and of course meet Mickey (and some other characters). Your son will have a great time!

I think because your kids are so small you could leave out Epcot. It's geared more towards Bigger Kids and Adults. My son did like it however, but he's fascinated by water fountains and we spent a large amount of time looking at them. He completely disliked the countries. We are only going there this time because my husband wants to see the flower and garden show. We might end up skipping it though. We don't know 'til we get down there.

I would recommend DS. MY son loved it!! If you son likes Monsters, Inc. or Cars, this is the place to go! My son met Sully and Mike and the Green Army Men and Buzz and Woody. He also enjoyed the fountains that they had here, and the dinosaur that lives in the lagoon. We also enjoyed there parade. It was filled with Classic Cars and not that crowded. Also, my son enjoyed the "Play and Dine at Hollywood and Vine" character meal. It enjoyed Playhouse Disney's Jojo Circus and Little Einsteins. I had fun too!

My son enjoyed SeaWorld. He especially liked the Sting Rays and the underground viewing area for the dolphins. Plus, Wish Kids gets free food to feed the dolphins. My son really liked the "Believe" show that they had. However, Seaworld is really just a big aquarium and if your stuck on time, you might not want to go there.

This is what I've learned since becoming a member of this board:
Wish Kids get a three day pass to Disney, one day at Universal and one day at SeaWorld. I don't know if there park hopping passes, I would hope that they are, if not the whole "going to two parks in one day" strategy won't work for either of us.

The best advice that I can give you is take your time. The most important thing is having fun on a dream vacation and being with your family. Everything else is just second. Also, GKTW has programs at night that are great for the kids. I'd recommend making time to go to them.

I hope that this had helped and that you have a wonderful time!

I forgot something.
I turned on the computer and went to disney's website and let my son look at all the different rides. This could help you figure out what your little one is interested in. Hope this helps.

On a different topic, I just posted some Big Give pics of some outfits that my kids got!
There awesome and on Joseph's TR.

hi!
i am a future disney wish-tripper and i have a few questions.
I'm 17 years old. I have twin brothers that are 14, and an older brother that is 19. We are all going on my trip with my parents. I don't know if I want to:
-Go on a disney land & sea cruise
or go on just a disney cruise. Im leaning more towards the land & sea, as we will probably never travel there again. Would there be anything for us to do at disney, none of us would go on rides haha. Im mostly interested in pictures with the characters. Which characters are on the disney cruise & would it be easiest to get pictures with them on the cruise or at disney world?
i've been looking on the web for dates that the disney cruise 7 night land & sea is going to be, but i cant find any. does anyone have a list of dates?
thanks!

hi!
i am a future disney wish-tripper and i have a few questions.
I'm 17 years old. I have twin brothers that are 14, and an older brother that is 19. We are all going on my trip with my parents. I don't know if I want to:
-Go on a disney land & sea cruise
or go on just a disney cruise. Im leaning more towards the land & sea, as we will probably never travel there again. Would there be anything for us to do at disney, none of us would go on rides haha. Im mostly interested in pictures with the characters. Which characters are on the disney cruise & would it be easiest to get pictures with them on the cruise or at disney world?
i've been looking on the web for dates that the disney cruise 7 night land & sea is going to be, but i cant find any. does anyone have a list of dates?
thanks!

I believe you can pick any week you want. Every week disney has a 3, 4 and 7 day cruise for the most part. It is very seldom that they don't and it is usually because the boat is dry docked to fix it up.

We really love the cruises but have you ever been to WDW? Any interest in seeing the castle, etc? If I had never been to disney world I would probably choose the land/sea.

There will be tons of characters on the ships and plenty of picture opportunities. They change their clothing every day to match the theme of what is going on. I have been on a 3 day and the time flew. It felt like we were getting off as soon as we got on so I think a 4 day would be fun. I have done three week long disney cruises too and they were fun but by the last day I was ready to be off!

ETA: the cruise is usually less chaotic for pictures!

Thank you all so much for your input, it all really helps.

We are hoping that Madeleine will at least take some naps in the stroller. We are bringing a single stroller for her and will rent one for Luke at the park. If Luke doesn't take a nap he will manage (he will be completely wild, but manageable), Madeleine is not so good without a nap. On days when/if we do 2 parks, they may fall asleep in the car in transport.

Here is what I saw on the GKTW site regarding park tickets:
3 day parkhopper pass to Disney parks
2 day passes to Universal and Islands of Adventure
Single day pass to Sea World

Does this sound right?

I posted this on my PTR, but the wish volunteer called tonight and we are meeting with them Thursday night, yay!

Thank you again,
Michelle

hello friends!! i hope everyone is doing GREAT!! i have not been able to make it to the boards recently because we are still RECOVERING from our BEAUTIFUL trip a couple of weeks ago!!

well, I FINALLY BLOGGED ALL ABOUT IT!!! yep, and i have TONS of pictures! i don't know how to post it HERE so i thought i would just post my LINK to my blog and if anyone is interested in seeing some pictures and reading ALL about it, please just go and check it out!! be warned, i do go into detail and if someone has not gone yet and wants to be surprised, might not be a good idea to check it out!! start reading from APRIL 18TH thru CURRENT to get it in order (you have to go backwards!!! ) and we were that family that ALMOST MISSED THE PLANE RIDE HOME!!! we boared 10 minutes before it LEFT!! YIKES!! and of course, matthews KIMBA (wheelchair/stroller) BROKE on day 2 of our trip there....grrrrrrr....

sooo, here is the blog:
www.blessingsinmylife.blogspot.com

well, less than a WEEK after we came home, matthew had a MASSIVE SEIZURE (it had been over a YEAR since he had HAD a sz!!) and he stopped breathing on me and i seriously thought that he had a HEART ATTACK...he just stopped...no outward signs of a sz until LATER!! i can tell you, probably one of the scarriest moments in my life!! it was horrible...we had to call 911 and they bagged him on the way to the hospital and ended up being intubated....yeah...it was that bad...but THANK YOU GOD, he came out of the hospital less than 24 hours later....one of the things that i thought of when i thought he was having a HEART ATTATCK, was that THANK YOU GOD, we got to have his MAKE-A-WISH.....

anyway, again, THANK YOU ALL for all of your WONDERFUL info and for that itinerary...it WORKS!!!

i will be back!!

maria!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter