Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the info your giving me. Ill do a pre trip report soon.

Hi Kelly nice to meet you my nmae is Tina im new to this as well. Have you gotten your dates yet i have we are still waiting?

I just wanted to say Hello To everyone on here. Its so nice to be able to talk to parents who know what your going threw. I have been searching for sites where there are parents who understand. Its so nice to have finally found one..

Thank you to everyone who has answered the few questions i have had so far.

Okay, I've been a lurker here for MONTHS now, I've read through every single page of BOTH WishTripper threads, and a number of trip reports, so I thought it was about time that I "outted" myself.

My name is Kelly, and I have been married to my husband Garth for eight years. We have three fabulous children, Gabriel, Maya, and Alison. Gabe is our newest addition and arrived here through the foster care system. My husband and I are both high school teachers and happened to be in the right place at the right time. We initially had agreed to take Gabe for President's Day weekend until DSS could find him a longer term placement - this was in January. The rest, as you could say, is history.

Maya is our six year old. She is my ultra-sensitive-rescue-every-stray-animal-on-the-side-of-the-road little girl. She just started first grade and seems to be developing into a little mathemetician, despite the fact that I teach English and couldn't add my way out of a paper bag. She LOVES the Disney princesses and actually wrote a letter to Santa just yesterday in which she asked for "everything Ariel."

And finally, there's Alison, our potential WishKid. I say "potential" because she hasn't officially been approved for a wish yet, but we have been verbally told that she does have a wish qualifying condition. After almost four years of various health issues, multiple surgeries, and many hospitalizations, Alison was finally diagnosed with mitochondrial disease. Her main issues are respiratory and GI. She also was recently diagnosed with Multiple Drug Allergy Syndrome, which essentially means she is allergic to every single antibiotic out there. This has made things very difficult for her and us since every illness in a kid with mito runs the risk of causing major regressions and life threatening complications. Every time she gets sick with a suspected bacterial infection, she will have to be admitted to the PICU for antibiotic administration. And to think we are still dealing with gut issues from a cold that she had the first week of September. Despite all this, she is an awesome little kid who loves, loves, loves Tinkerbell.

IMG_2988-2.jpg

When we first entertained the idea of contacting Make-a-Wish on Alison's behalf, we thought that we would wait a couple of years until she was older. However, after her last round of illness and the regressions that accompanied it, we decided that we would like to start the process sooner as opposed to later. Also, we would like to take Gabe since he has never been to Disney World before. Our hope is to go over April vacation. Summer is out because Ali has some pretty significant heat tolerance issues, and we'd really like to not miss school because Garth and I already miss so much work to be with Ali. So, we have submmitted the initial referral and are waiting anxiously to hear from our local chapter.

We are sure that when given the opportunity, Ali will choose Disney World as her wish. We are friends with Christine and Jake (DMBfan), so Ali has seen all of his Wish Trip pictures and was enthralled. She is also Tinkerbell obsessed and has been saying for at least the past year that she wants to meet her. My husband and I have not been since we were small children (before Epcot, even), so we really remember nothing about it. It will be so nice to research vacation options instead of disease treatments!

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know everyone better!

Kelly

Welcome Kelly! You have a beautiful family. I'm sorry to hear of Ali's mito diagnosis as well as the drug allergy. I can't imagine how complicated that can get. It's a good thing she has two smart teachers for parents (I'm a big fan of teachers!) to sort it all out!

Like you, I grew frustrated after yet another diagnosis and hospitalization and decided my Bella deserved a Wish Trip sooner rather than later. I am certain that mito is a qualifying disease for MAW and hope you will have no problems getting the approval. It's great that you have already chosen a target date that is a few months out. That leaves you pleanty of time for the wish process as well as planning!

Thanks for outing yourself and joining the conversation over here on the Wish Trip thread. You will find so many wonderful people with endless knowledge and information on all things Wish-Trip and Disney related!

I love reading all the pre trip reports and all the trip reports im so excited to hear how much fun keith will have at disney world.:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:;)

Okay, I've been a lurker here for MONTHS now, I've read through every single page of BOTH WishTripper threads, and a number of trip reports, so I thought it was about time that I "outted" myself.

My name is Kelly, and I have been married to my husband Garth for eight years. We have three fabulous children, Gabriel, Maya, and Alison. Gabe is our newest addition and arrived here through the foster care system. My husband and I are both high school teachers and happened to be in the right place at the right time. We initially had agreed to take Gabe for President's Day weekend until DSS could find him a longer term placement - this was in January. The rest, as you could say, is history.

Maya is our six year old. She is my ultra-sensitive-rescue-every-stray-animal-on-the-side-of-the-road little girl. She just started first grade and seems to be developing into a little mathemetician, despite the fact that I teach English and couldn't add my way out of a paper bag. She LOVES the Disney princesses and actually wrote a letter to Santa just yesterday in which she asked for "everything Ariel."

And finally, there's Alison, our potential WishKid. I say "potential" because she hasn't officially been approved for a wish yet, but we have been verbally told that she does have a wish qualifying condition. After almost four years of various health issues, multiple surgeries, and many hospitalizations, Alison was finally diagnosed with mitochondrial disease. Her main issues are respiratory and GI. She also was recently diagnosed with Multiple Drug Allergy Syndrome, which essentially means she is allergic to every single antibiotic out there. This has made things very difficult for her and us since every illness in a kid with mito runs the risk of causing major regressions and life threatening complications. Every time she gets sick with a suspected bacterial infection, she will have to be admitted to the PICU for antibiotic administration. And to think we are still dealing with gut issues from a cold that she had the first week of September. Despite all this, she is an awesome little kid who loves, loves, loves Tinkerbell.

IMG_2988-2.jpg

When we first entertained the idea of contacting Make-a-Wish on Alison's behalf, we thought that we would wait a couple of years until she was older. However, after her last round of illness and the regressions that accompanied it, we decided that we would like to start the process sooner as opposed to later. Also, we would like to take Gabe since he has never been to Disney World before. Our hope is to go over April vacation. Summer is out because Ali has some pretty significant heat tolerance issues, and we'd really like to not miss school because Garth and I already miss so much work to be with Ali. So, we have submmitted the initial referral and are waiting anxiously to hear from our local chapter.

We are sure that when given the opportunity, Ali will choose Disney World as her wish. We are friends with Christine and Jake (DMBfan), so Ali has seen all of his Wish Trip pictures and was enthralled. She is also Tinkerbell obsessed and has been saying for at least the past year that she wants to meet her. My husband and I have not been since we were small children (before Epcot, even), so we really remember nothing about it. It will be so nice to research vacation options instead of disease treatments!

Kelly

:wave2: Hello Kelly! It is nice to meet ya! :)

Great intro.

PLEASE say hello to Jakers for me! Another one of those kids that I just love and have never met! His trip on the Tower of Terror ride goes down in Wish Trip history as one of the coolest things a CM has done for a wish child on a trip! :thumbsup2

We also have another Mom that you must meet...if you have not already... her name is Amber Greenawalt. She went on a wish trip with her son, who was diagnosed with cancer. Then she came back (has still not done a trip report - because her youngest daughter was having all kinds of issues and was eventually diagnosed with mito)...

I guess some of that is in the VOLUMES of information in both of the Wish Trippers threads.

Here is her blog:

www.greenawaltfamilylife.blogspot.com

And PM me and I can give you some more contact information for Amber.

I can't wait for you guys to get officially approved! It sounds like you guys would all have a wonderful time!

:welcome: to the Wish Trippers thread! So glad you "outed" yourself! :laughing:

Thanks for all the info your giving me. Ill do a pre trip report soon.

Hi Kelly nice to meet you my nmae is Tina im new to this as well. Have you gotten your dates yet i have we are still waiting?

You are very welcome!

:wave2: Hello, Tina! :)

I am Mary - but most people just call me maroo! :)

I just wanted to say Hello To everyone on here. Its so nice to be able to talk to parents who know what your going threw. I have been searching for sites where there are parents who understand. Its so nice to have finally found one..

Thank you to everyone who has answered the few questions i have had so far.

:hug:

keithbythehorses.jpg

This is keith my wish kid

How awesome! Does he get to ride? They used to let Lauren ride for therapy purposes...but life just gets in the way of that stuff sometimes.

Hi Tina! Nice to know there's another newbie on the board with me! No, we don't have dates yet. In fact, we haven't even completed the referral process yet. Doh! :blush: But we have been told that since mitochondrial disease is life threatening and there is no treatment/cure, that she will most definitely qualify. And, we feel pretty confident that she will choose Disney. Thanks for sharing the picture of Keith. He is handsome. How old is he?

Thank you, StefaniLyn.:) My husband was more committed to waiting than I was, but I think for him, it was how he took a stand against this disease. The thing that did it for him is that he really wants our foster son to be able to go. When are you going on your trip?

Thanks, Maroo! I will gladly say hello to Jake for you, though I don't see them as frequently now that our kids spend less time in the hospital. For a while, our inpatient stays were overlapping. I do not know Amber, but I have visited her blog. I would love more contact information, as I think many of our girls' issues are similar.

So does anyone know how this works in terms of foster children? I know that DSS has told us that he is technically part of our family and should be counted as such when we do things like family memberships, etc. And we certainly consider him one of our own. We would very much like for him to be included, but I'm not sure how that works with MAW. Any thoughts?

Hi Tina! Nice to know there's another newbie on the board with me! No, we don't have dates yet. In fact, we haven't even completed the referral process yet. Doh! :blush: But we have been told that since mitochondrial disease is life threatening and there is no treatment/cure, that she will most definitely qualify. And, we feel pretty confident that she will choose Disney. Thanks for sharing the picture of Keith. He is handsome. How old is he?

Thank you, StefaniLyn.:) My husband was more committed to waiting than I was, but I think for him, it was how he took a stand against this disease. The thing that did it for him is that he really wants our foster son to be able to go. When are you going on your trip?

Thanks, Maroo! I will gladly say hello to Jake for you, though I don't see them as frequently now that our kids spend less time in the hospital. For a while, our inpatient stays were overlapping. I do not know Amber, but I have visited her blog. I would love more contact information, as I think many of our girls' issues are similar.

So does anyone know how this works in terms of foster children? I know that DSS has told us that he is technically part of our family and should be counted as such when we do things like family memberships, etc. And we certainly consider him one of our own. We would very much like for him to be included, but I'm not sure how that works with MAW. Any thoughts?

Hmm...

There are a couple of families that may be able to answer this...

I think it depends on how "legal" he is to travel with you guys?

If he is able to leave the state with you...and you can sign as his legal guardian...then I would think he is welcome to join you.

I know some children in "temporary" custody situations had issues and were not able to go. But you should be fine as long as it is legit. And you may have more paperwork.

I will send Amber a message on FB. I know that she will want to contact you.

Keith is 14 yrs old he has cp and a vp shunt.... He is one of those kids that loves everyone he meets or talks to he is so lovable:love:

We havent got our dates yet we are waiting the visit from our wish granters keith says he wants to go to disney world so this means we,ll be able to let him have a blast.

I will have more pictures up soon of my family i have 4 kids all together keith is my oldest..

I think its so great that you brought another child into your family wish i could right now our home is to small and keeps getting smaller with all the stuff keith needs....

I wanted to say god bless you for doing that your an angle all by its self:hug:

Wow... It's been awhile since I've been on here. I haven't been gone, i have just been wandering around the Disboards looking at TRs, tips, and other posts. If you don't remember me or don't know who I am, I'm Annastesia. My baby sister (Sunny) is our MAW girl (See bottom picture). I can't believe how :banana:CLOSE:banana: our trip is... 15 days until that magical day. Sunny's wish was to meet Mickey Mouse so MAW is sending us to WDW December 1st-December 6th. :cloud9: I just wanted to thank everyone on here for their wonderful posts and tips. I really could not have planned out this trip w/o you all so:thanks: I can't wait to post my very first WDW TR in Dec.!!! :disrocks:

Well....we are back! We had an amazing time, but people weren't kidding when they said you will be exhausted. We had low expectations for how much we could get done but we still couldn't do half of what we wanted. There is so much--and GKTW is so cool!

I'm so glad you are back! There have been lots of new planners joining lately, but no new TRs! We will all be anxiously awaiting yours!

Hi my name is Tina my son keith just found out that he gets to make a wish from the make a wish foundation in ohio:cheer2:
Hi Tina! Yay for Keith getting a wish! It sounds like he's been through a lot. My wish kid is 8 chronologically but probably about 1 yr cognitively. They can't find the cause of her delays and medical issues, so they just call it CP. You will have lots fun planning his trip and getting to know the other folks here. (ps - my wish kid hyperventilates around horses! She is riding once a week right now and she loves it!)

I can't wait to post my very first WDW TR in Dec.!!! :disrocks:

I can't wait either! Sunny is so cute, I could nibble on her little cheek. Just a little? :love: We will all be here anxiously awaiting your TR!!! Do you have everything planned that you want to? I'm wondering how I'll be when we are only two weeks away.

Kelly, I'm glad you outted yourself! I don't know how you could hold back for months! There is another foster mom on here who has posted a few times in recent months, who might be able to help you with the technical questions. (momto4plus more???) We adopted our youngest through DCFS. When I wanted to visit my parents out of state I had to write a letter with all the details of our trip and submit it to her CW who then got "approval" from her supe for us to take her. She was not having visits with birthfamily, or any court dates curing that time, so it wasn't a big issue for us. Are you planning to adopt him if he becomes legally free? How have the girls adapted to a big brother? I was nervous to foster older than my oldest and now we feel like our family is complete, so I still wonder about how it would have been. We had one sibling group while we were licensed and the oldest of that group was just barely older than mine and it was fine. In fact, the younger ones were harder for her to adjust to, go figure! I think you're right, that this just might be the perfect year to go for the whole family. I look forward to following along your journey.

Great intro.

PLEASE say hello to Jakers for me! Another one of those kids that I just love and have never met! His trip on the Tower of Terror ride goes down in Wish Trip history as one of the coolest things a CM has done for a wish child on a trip! :thumbsup2

We also have another Mom that you must meet...if you have not already... her name is Amber Greenawalt. She went on a wish trip with her son, who was diagnosed with cancer. Then she came back (has still not done a trip report - because her youngest daughter was having all kinds of issues and was eventually diagnosed with mito)...

I guess some of that is in the VOLUMES of information in both of the Wish Trippers threads.

Here is her blog:

I can't wait for you guys to get officially approved! It sounds like you guys would all have a wonderful time!

Howdy Kelly!

I'm Amber, the one that Mary mentioned :) I am positive that you will be approved for a wish. My son Sebastian went on a wish trip December of last year. Since then we've become close with the MAW folks, especially our awesome wish granters. I was just talking with some of the gals who run the NC chapter and they were saying that mito definetly qualifies. It certainly is "life threatening." In this one instance that's a big "Woohoo!!!" Hopefully someday our little Savannah will get to make a wish too. She has mito too. Complex I and Complex III. I guess you could say she's kind of grown up on this thread. When I first got on here I was still pregnant with her and now she is 15 months old. I would love to chat sometime. Mary gave you our blog but please free free to contact me personally if you need anything at all! Goodluck! The people on here are AMAZING!!! I have been so blessed to have them in my life and am really excitied for you to get to know them as well!

I am a licensed foster mom, but I don't know if I can answer the questions since foster care varies so much from state to state. I would think that your foster children would be included in the Wish as long as they are placed with you early enough in the planning process. The state would likely have to give consent too unless you have legal guardianship. Depending on how involved his bioparents are, they may or may not want their permission. I certainly hopes it works out for him to go. In our case, DCFS said they would pay for our little one to go if MAW did not include her. MAW had no problem including her. It turned out not to be an issue though because her biomom didn't really want her to go. She wanted to "Make those memories with her."

I certainly hopes it works out for him to go. Thanks for giving him a home where he is wanted and loved! Your family is beautiful!

IMG_2988-2.jpg

Kelly

Welcome Kelly, Your family is beautiful! Im looking forward to hear all about your wish planning and trip. My family hasnt gotten our dates yet but it's looking like we'll be going in Feb. or March.

Wow... It's been awhile since I've been on here. I haven't been gone, i have just been wandering around the Disboards looking at TRs, tips, and other posts. If you don't remember me or don't know who I am, I'm Annastesia. My baby sister (Sunny) is our MAW girl (See bottom picture). I can't believe how :banana:CLOSE:banana: our trip is... 15 days until that magical day. Sunny's wish was to meet Mickey Mouse so MAW is sending us to WDW December 1st-December 6th. :cloud9: I just wanted to thank everyone on here for their wonderful posts and tips. I really could not have planned out this trip w/o you all so:thanks: I can't wait to post my very first WDW TR in Dec.!!! :disrocks:

I am so glad you touched base with us. You guys are really going to have a wonderful trip! I really can not wait to read all about it! Please come back and report to us. We just love the TRs! :)

Great intro.

Here is her blog:

Howdy Kelly!

I'm Amber, the one that Mary mentioned :) I am positive that you will be approved for a wish. My son Sebastian went on a wish trip December of last year. Since then we've become close with the MAW folks, especially our awesome wish granters. I was just talking with some of the gals who run the NC chapter and they were saying that mito definetly qualifies. It certainly is "life threatening." In this one instance that's a big "Woohoo!!!" Hopefully someday our little Savannah will get to make a wish too. She has mito too. Complex I and Complex III. I guess you could say she's kind of grown up on this thread. When I first got on here I was still pregnant with her and now she is 15 months old. I would love to chat sometime. Mary gave you our blog but please free free to contact me personally if you need anything at all! Goodluck! The people on here are AMAZING!!! I have been so blessed to have them in my life and am really excitied for you to get to know them as well!

AMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I am totally yelling your name!

Thanks for coming back and saying hello! I think you and Kelly would hit it off quite nicely!

:wave2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter