Majority of dining scalping websites shut down by Disney

Not surprising after Disney first came out and said we are looking into the situation. Then a few weeks later they are gone.

I am not sad to see them go. I couldn't figure out what took Disney Dining Scout so long to go after all of the other ones were already closing shop. DiS Dining Agent acted like they would be back up within a few days after making a few modifications, but that never happened either.

Stuff like this is a major reason Disney sites have so much trouble. They are slammed enough with regular Disney guests, add 3,000,000 more hits from Bots trying to make money, and you have an even broader scam than selling the "disabled guest services"

Oh well. I think I had at least five reservations at Be Our Guest next month due to Disney Dining Scout. Even received a notification from them last night but it was already gone by the time I checked my email.

I'm glad Disney stood up to the scalpers and actually got something done about it. I've never had much trouble with dining reservations, but that's because I'm not all that picky about some of the harder to grab reservations. BUT, I do see how it was getting to be a major problem.

Disney created this issue themselves. People wouldn't pay for websites like these if it wasn't such a frenzy for ADRs 180 days in advance.

Funny about the frenzy. I just went on Disney's site and looked at the ADRs available for breakfast in 180 days every restaurant that is open for breakfast has openings, including CM, BOG and CRT. It's 3:40 pm, at my 180 almost all breakfasts for those restaurants were gone almost immediately but that was when these dining scalpers were going strong. So it appears now that they are gone suddenly the 180 days isn't as big as a deal.

Glad to see them go, I truly believe the "frenzy" was artificially created by the scalpers.

Funny about the frenzy. I just went on Disney's site and looked at the ADRs available for breakfast in 180 days every restaurant that is open for breakfast has openings, including CM, BOG and CRT. It's 3:40 pm, at my 180 almost all breakfasts for those restaurants were gone almost immediately but that was when these dining scalpers were going strong. So it appears now that they are gone suddenly the 180 days isn't as big as a deal.

Glad to see them go, I truly believe the "frenzy" was artificially created by the scalpers.
But still where else do people book dining reservations 180 days in adanvce other than Disney.

But still where else do people book dining reservations 180 days in adanvce other than Disney.
You're probably right that it's a little too far, but considering that many people plan their Disney trips months if not years in advance it actually makes sense. After years of saving and counting down the days, I'm sure lots of people just want the places they love most. It hurts the more spontaneous crowd and locals; but it does offer some peace of mind to a certain demographic.

Is it the best way? I couldn't tell you. Does it work for many? Yeah.

Disney created this issue themselves. People wouldn't pay for websites like these if it wasn't such a frenzy for ADRs 180 days in advance.

Wait...What? It doesn't matter if it's 1 day or 180 days... As long as their is demand there will be a point where they have to open up the reservations. And at that point there will be a frenzy. These sites however were taking as many ADR's as they could handle and forcing all others out. Level the playing field and it should go smoother.

Glad they are gone but am sure they will be back in some other capacity just as soon as they figure out how to get around the next hurdle....

How did they "take" the ADRs? Don't you have to leave a deposit using a credit card number when you book an ADR, which is not refunded if you don't show up?

How did they "take" the ADRs? Don't you have to leave a deposit using a credit card number when you book an ADR, which is not refunded if you don't show up?
You're only charged if you don't show. And Corporate accounts can have thousands of numbers so.....
Am quite certain that if they did have any reservations left the day before they would be charged that they would then dump the reservation.

Most places don't require a deposit, just a card on file to pay the "no show" fee. So if they have a bot that can grab up the reservations, there was no financial downside to taking them and then holding them until the day before the cancellation window expires.

Wait...What? It doesn't matter if it's 1 day or 180 days... As long as their is demand there will be a point where they have to open up the reservations. And at that point there will be a frenzy. These sites however were taking as many ADR's as they could handle and forcing all others out. Level the playing field and it should go smoother.

Glad they are gone but am sure they will be back in some other capacity just as soon as they figure out how to get around the next hurdle....
Disney never used to have a problem with reservations until about when the dining plan came to be. You used to go to the front of Epcot and see what was available for the day not online 180 days in advance. The demand has always been there and always will be but no other place other than WDW people stay up all night and book ADRs 180 days in advance. Disneyland doesn't do this, the foreign Disney parks don't do this, and universal doesn't do this. I have no problem with them offering it 180 days in advance and I do take advantage of that for my vacations but people go nuts over ADRs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter