• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Major Disney refurb and construction completion dates worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Pandora is looking like mid 2017-late 2017 open but is there any indication of when Disney will announce a more accurate estimate than just saying 2017? I was thinking of doing a Fall 2017 trip (Sept/Oct) but if Pandora isn't going to open I feel like it'll be worth it to wait.

I know Pandora is looking like mid 2017-late 2017 open but is there any indication of when Disney will announce a more accurate estimate than just saying 2017? I was thinking of doing a Fall 2017 trip (Sept/Oct) but if Pandora isn't going to open I feel like it'll be worth it to wait.

They announced the Frozen ride opening about one month ahead of time.

They announced ROL a couple of months ahead and then blew the opening date (by probably a year before it's all said and done).

Unless they have really short memories of this, they'll probably wait until the last minute to announce it next year. And even then I wouldn't plan my vacation around it.

not yet no. Things are still too early to say when they will open.

First post has been updated.

Just went back and had a look, and know I will probably be bemoaned about delays and it's not enough but on my next trip having 14+ new things to check out and do, I think is pretty cool.

Also all the stuff in the pipe-line looks really interesting, but agree, that to keep momentum, Disney might have to put a bit more effort into getting these done at a quicker pace.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this question, but something just dawned on me (day late and dollar short)...

Mr. Potato Head wasn't in the the Toy Story Midway Mania queue during my June 20th - 28th trip. I thought they removed him due to the construction of the third track and were going to put him back once the third track was open.

Are they not going to put him back until Toy Story Land is open? Did I miss something saying he was gone for good?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this question, but something just dawned on me (day late and dollar short)...

Mr. Potato Head wasn't in the the Toy Story Midway Mania queue during my June 20th - 28th trip. I thought they removed him due to the construction of the third track and were going to put him back once the third track was open.

Are they not going to put him back until Toy Story Land is open? Did I miss something saying he was gone for good?
He is gone until the new entrance for TSMM opens with toy story land.

Thanks for the info! We have a family reunion in 2017, was hoping Toy Story Land would be complete but I guess we'll have to go back!

So as Pandora gets moved further back into 2017, does this mean we're realistically looking at 2018 for Pandora and 2019 for Toy Story Land? Which puts Star Wars land down in time for the 50th...maybe.

I wonder if part of the problem with this is that Universal has been using most of the contractors/construction crews in Orlando for the better part of the last decade that those companies just sign on with U for as long as necessary and that Disney can't find enough of those workers to get things done in a timely fashion.

So as Pandora gets moved further back into 2017, does this mean we're realistically looking at 2018 for Pandora and 2019 for Toy Story Land? Which puts Star Wars land down in time for the 50th...maybe.

I wonder if part of the problem with this is that Universal has been using most of the contractors/construction crews in Orlando for the better part of the last decade that those companies just sign on with U for as long as necessary and that Disney can't find enough of those workers to get things done in a timely fashion.
Pandora is still on pace for a 2017 opening. Whether thats spring like they previously wanted or later is a different story buts its on pace for 2017.

Toy Story land isn't a difficult build like Pandora, there are not ground breaking rides and the theming is simple. That land will not be affected by pandora. So 2018 is still very likely.

Star Wars has barely started and right now 2019 is the rumor but its possible that gets pushed to 2020 depending on how things go.

September 20, 2011. Think about that date. 6 years to build two rides and theme an area. They built MK in less time, including draining a whole lake, creating a new lagoon, refilling lake, and building a whole new level out of dredged earth.

September 20, 2011. Think about that date. 6 years to build two rides and theme an area. They built MK in less time, including draining a whole lake, creating a new lagoon, refilling lake, and building a whole new level out of dredged earth.
Is that the announcement date? First off they announced a deal with James Cameron was done to build avatar attractions at WDW. There were no specifics, no concept art, none of that. They spent 2 years designing and building models and planning what they were going to do. Then they had to close park areas, and demolish existing areas. It's not fair to compare this expansion to that. MK had a lot of planning and designing years prior to construction was started. You have to take into account all of that.

D
Is that the announcement date? First off they announced a deal with James Cameron was done to build avatar attractions at WDW. There were no specifics, no concept art, none of that. They spent 2 years designing and building models and planning what they were going to do. Then they had to close park areas, and demolish existing areas. It's not fair to compare this expansion to that. MK had a lot of planning and designing years prior to construction was started. You have to take into account all of that.
DRAINED A LAKE. BUILT A LAGOON.

Fine, you want to go back to the first visit to Orlando in '63, that's only 2 more years to acquire the land, get the laws modified, do those two things I capitalized above, and open the park.

D

DRAINED A LAKE. BUILT A LAGOON.

Fine, you want to go back to the first visit to Orlando in '63, that's only 2 more years to acquire the land, get the laws modified, do those two things I capitalized above, and open the park.
You can't look at it from announcement to opening day. You have to look at it from construction start to opening day. January 2014-sometime in 2017. That's 3 years and is reasonable. 1963-1971, 8 years is plenty reasonable to build a theme park as well especially in a completely different era. That was only Disneys 2nd theme park at the time and they pushed to get thing open to honor Walt, Roy put all of his effort into the Florida project. You don't have anyone pushing for Pandora to get done.

I just don't see how you can compare the building of WDW to the building Pandora. You also have to take into account they are building this within an operating theme park. When they built MK you didn't have anything to work around, you could build all day and all night without the general public interfering.

You can't look at it from announcement to opening day. You have to look at it from construction start to opening day. January 2014-sometime in 2017. That's 3 years and is reasonable. 1963-1971, 8 years is plenty reasonable to build a theme park as well especially in a completely different era. That was only Disneys 2nd theme park at the time and they pushed to get thing open to honor Walt, Roy put all of his effort into the Florida project. You don't have anyone pushing for Pandora to get done.

I just don't see how you can compare the building of WDW to the building Pandora. You also have to take into account they are building this within an operating theme park. When they built MK you didn't have anything to work around, you could build all day and all night without the general public interfering.
Actually, I don't think any construction began before 1968 and the Florida Supreme Court ruling in favor of the Reedy Creek District. Long time ago and my memory is probably foggy there. But after the Supreme Court ruled, they began construction on the canals and roads. So, actual construction was only about three years until the Magic Kingdom opened, if my memory hasn't let me down AGAIN.

Actually, I don't think any construction began before 1968 and the Florida Supreme Court ruling in favor of the Reedy Creek District. Long time ago and my memory is probably foggy there. But after the Supreme Court ruled, they began construction on the canals and roads. So, actual construction was only about three years until the Magic Kingdom opened, if my memory hasn't let me down AGAIN.
That's probably true but it was a completely different I've period and you weren't building within an already operating theme park area.

I'm playing lockedout's role here, but what part of Pandora is accessible by/to the paying customer? Now, if you want to tell me that they can't do any work at night due to the animals, okay, fine, I'll agree with that, but otherwise, there's nothing in that area that is part of an "operating theme park area."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter