Major Breaking News UK-US planes targeted

jen_uk said:
These terrorist attacks have nothing to do with Islam. It does not say anywhere in that religion that people should blow themselves and others up! The people that do this are political nutters who hide behind their religion to justify what they are doing. My husband is Muslim and because of people with small minds blaming all Muslims he has had problems with bullying at work. Don't blame the religion for what these evil people do!

Unfortunately a few radicals are testing the patience of the world. A very, very few Islamic leaders have stood up and publicly decried terrorism, except after major incidents such as this. I know that Islam is a peaceful religion, but I also know that it strongly appears to the rest of the world that Islamic leaders are not keeping the pressure on their own to act like humans--and in this case appearances are everything.

It's seems that a lot of Islamic leaders seem to be doing the same thing that the countries I named in my post are--fence sitting. There is no such thing as "nuetral" you are either actively working against terror, or you are a terrorist.

Anne

Just a note- Delta is currently waiving their over the weight limit 25.00 fee, not sure for how long though.

On MSNBC, they mentioned, "California, DC area, and ___ (I forget)" airports as the targets.

Also, hijackinng on Qatar Airlines being mentioned on Al Jazerra.

MSNBC stating that Bush and Blair spoke over the phone about the situation on Sunday and Wednesday. :confused3

The world just keeps getting crazier and crazier :sad2: Too bad that small percentage of religious zealots are so dangerous. Whatever happened to the days when the overly-religious just claimed God was channeling them directly? Now they're blowing up everything and everyone they can :guilty: I realize terrorism has always been an issue but it just keeps getting worse everytime you turn on the news.

I'm glad the U.S. and U.K. were able to stop this horrible plan from happening. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had they succeeded :sad2:

These terrorists make me so angry! :mad:

Daxx said:
OK - flying to Disney tomorrow morning. Anyone hear of what you cannot bring on commercial US flights (aside from anything liquid/gel)? I'm thinking about getting a clear carry-on bag for the trip.

DH wants to bring his CD player and DS9 wants to bring the DVD player and gameboy and I'm the one saying "Take a book and leave the electronics behind!" At this point, I'm ready to overnight ship the camera and cell phones.

Thanks for any help!

Man, I go to an office meeting for a few hours, to discuss this latest and man, were you all busy with your posts. Having said that, in answer to your question about what you can bring on your flight in the U.S., as of 9am: No liquids, gels, toothpaste, deoderant, no electronics - no CD/DVD players, key fobs (that unlock your car doors), no cell phones, no computers, no cameras, no electronics, no purses - wallets and billfolds only, no books, no magazines, no food, no drinks, no mouthwash, no luggage, prescription medications only in their original bottle with your name and U.S. doctor's name - if it's liquid or shot-related you are advised to get a doctor's note stating why it is mandatory you have the specific medication with you on the flight. I'm sure I've missed a few things, so forgive me. I was told that at JFK airport large trash bins were set up and people who refused to pack these items in their packed luggage were being ordered to throw them away and people were compliant. More later - gotta go to PT.

ducklite said:
It's seems that a lot of Islamic leaders seem to be doing the same thing that the countries I named in my post are--fence sitting. There is no such thing as "nuetral" you are either actively working against terror, or you are a terrorist.

Anne

Very true.

mmausse said:
Man, I go to an office meeting for a few hours, to discuss this latest and man, were you all busy with your posts. Having said that, in answer to your question about what you can bring on your flight in the U.S., as of 9am: No liquids, gels, toothpaste, deoderant, no electronics - no CD/DVD players, key fobs (that unlock your car doors), no cell phones, no computers, no cameras, no electronics, no purses - wallets and billfolds only, no books, no magazines, no food, no drinks, no mouthwash, no luggage, prescription medications only in their original bottle with your name and U.S. doctor's name - if it's liquid or shot-related you are advised to get a doctor's note stating why it is mandatory you have the specific medication with you on the flight. I'm sure I've missed a few things, so forgive me. I was told that at JFK airport large trash bins were set up and people who refused to pack these items in their packed luggage were being ordered to throw them away and people were compliant. More later - gotta go to PT.

Woah woah woah. Now no purses or cell phones either?? This can all go in your checked luggage, right?

mmausse said:

I think this is the UK list. They would ahve a real problem with my husband--he drives a Prius--there is NO KEY, it's an electronic fob only. If they take that they are taking his key...

Anne

mmausse said:
Are you sure this is for US travel!? I know the liquids/gels/pastes thing is for US ... but electronics for flights w/in US!?!?

On MSNBC, they mentioned, "California, DC area, and ___ (I forget)" airports as the targets.

This making me feel so much safer... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to LAX, and upon return, we will leave from DC...

mmausse said:

Everything in bold is what I've heard listed for the US. The exception being deoderant- it was roll-on deoderant that was metioned. There are large trash bins, but it's becuase people arrived not knowing.

The books and electronics was mentioned to me by the SWA representative. At that point, there were no bans, however, she said that could change.

I think the rest of the list looks like the UK list...

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the "no electronics rule" will be going into effect. Basically, for now, the U.S. is going to follow the U..K.'s example. YES, this is a big pain in the tushie and everyone has a right to be mad, but I would rather be inconvenienced than be dead. I have advised my officemates who are travelling to ship their key fobs, computers, cell phones via FEDEX insured. It will probably change but for now, everyone is being safer than sorrier.

SandraVB79 said:
This making me feel so much safer... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to LAX, and upon return, we will leave from DC...

Maybe you do want to reconsider? So sorry....

We live in the DC area and I can't tell you how nerve-wracking it can be. I would try to avoid the major US cities- DC, NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta come to mind right away.

We're going LA, DFW and DC...
They don't have Mickey Mouse in some middle-of-nowhere village in TX :(

Big problem about reconsidering vacation: everything is booked AND paid. We have insurance for the flights, but that doesn't cover "I'm scared to fly now" as a reason.
I know that one's safety is more important than money, but still, we are talking... 2500 USD per person here... (we are two) I really wouldn't like to loose 5000 USD.

SandraVB79 said:
We're going LA, DFW and DC...
They don't have Mickey Mouse in some middle-of-nowhere village in TX :(.
No, they don't, but they do have airports. And those airports aren't the tarets as often as the ajor US airports are. If you can get re-routed (granted I understand international flights fly in and out of usually major airports), maybe consider it? Check with your trip innsurance, this may fall under "Unforeseen world circumstances" or the like.

So now we can't bring cellphones. laptops, or Ipods on carryons? I guess cameras are going to be included next. I don't know about everyone else but I always carryon my camera so that the bag checkers don't steal it! I always have my cellphone too. I do hope those rules are tossed out before we fly next month!

Uch, glad I'm not flying. I refuse to put my cell phone or CD Player in baggage. I couldn't imagine flying without music...it's scary enough as it is...they're going to take the one thing that calms me down. Damn terrorist *******s...

The security in NYC has been heightened, which makes me feel a bit safer, but it's still pretty crazy.

My sympathies for all those who are stuck and have nowhere to go. (and also to those who have a fear of flying and can't bring anything on the plane to calm your nerves...if they serve liquor, take advantage!!

DaisyD said:
So now we can't bring cellphones. laptops, or Ipods on carryons? I guess cameras are going to be included next. I don't know about everyone else but I always carryon my camera so that the bag checkers don't steal it! I always have my cellphone too. I do hope those rules are tossed out before we fly next month!

Here in the US, the airlines aren't comfirming this yet. I spoke with our air carrier and MILs for tomorrow's flights and they are not doing anything with electronic bans...yet. But, as she said, "Anything can change right now. The media outlets may be ahead of what we're receiving here. But we have not been instructed to tell passengers not to pack electronics that they normally wouldn't, but to please keep it to a minimum."

Best bet if you're flying in the next few days is to call and confirm what is and isn't allowed.

CEDmom said:
The report I saw on NBC said they've arrested 21 men many of Pakistan descent. Wonder what that will do to our diplomatic ties with them?

For those that are flying in the next day or 2 I hope all goes well. Honestly, you're probably safer today than you were yesterday. Our big problem is we let our guard down the more time goes by w/o incident and that's the opportunity terrorists wait for.

We have to learn to be ever vigilant.
I'm supposed to fly Wednesday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter