Major Breaking News UK-US planes targeted

BAA has just announced that unless planes are already in the air, all flights to Heathrow will be cancelled. Hopefully that won't affect anyone here!

I cant believe this. I dont mind taking less hand luggage on board but I dont want my personal hygiene and medication clear for all to see in a transparent bag. No liquids - are you supposed to dehydrate until you wait for an air stewardess to bring you some water 2 or 3 times during a 9 hour flight ? And what about having to check Laptops and expensive camera equipment, mobile phones ? how could we ensure these were not damaged if we checked them with our luggage ? :furious: terrorists :furious: :furious: :badpc: :furious:

The US news media has been throwing the date "August 22" around for a few days now. It somehow has meaning in the Muslim calendar?

I am really feeling sick and scared right now. On August 23, I am flying from Brussels to London Heathrow and then on to LAX (to go to Disneyland)
I am sure if my mom hears/ reads this, she won't be willing to go, she is scared to death from air planes, and it's already a big deal for her to board a plane without things like this happening.

Also, I don't really like that no carry-on policie. What about my laptop/ camera/ medicines? I am NOT putting my medicine (injections) for my blood into my suitcase, because it gets too cold in the bagage part of the plane. Also, my suitcase has disappeared a couple of times for a couple of days upon arrival, I don't like to travel without my carry-on with some extra clothes etc.

I guess I will have to follow up the news and call British Midland, United Airlines and the British embassy for more details, guidelines, explanations...

Please all, if you have nothing better to do, pray that my airplane won't explode in the air...

PS: great, no liquids in carry-on, what about liquids in regular suitcases? As if they couldn't bring explosives into those...

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH, I feel this is going to ruin my vacation, I feel it...

:grouphug:
SandraVB79 said:
I am really feeling sick and scared right now. On August 23, I am flying from Brussels to London Heathrow and then on to LAX (to go to Disneyland)
I am sure if my mom hears/ reads this, she won't be willing to go, she is scared to death from air planes, and it's already a big deal for her to board a plane without things like this happening.

Also, I don't really like that no carry-on policie. What about my laptop/ camera/ medicines? I am NOT putting my medicine (injections) for my blood into my suitcase, because it gets too cold in the bagage part of the plane. Also, my suitcase has disappeared a couple of times for a couple of days upon arrival, I don't like to travel without my carry-on with some extra clothes etc.

I guess I will have to follow up the news and call British Midland, United Airlines and the British embassy for more details, guidelines, explanations...

Please all, if you have nothing better to do, pray that my airplane won't explode in the air...

PS: great, no liquids in carry-on, what about liquids in regular suitcases? As if they couldn't bring explosives into those...

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH, I feel this is going to ruin my vacation, I feel it...
I think we are all praying. Be reassured that they caught these evil people before they did any harm. And we know security is going to be tightened. We are all concerned about taking our meds and electricals with but I am sure they wil come up with something suitable so that we can do that without too much distress. :grouphug:

Some more news - Homeland Security has raised the USA terror alert for all airlines to our highest level - RED - meaning attack is expected. They do not believe the UK got everyone, they believe some are already in the US. Also posted, advising people who don't have to be at airports, to stay away. Great - now I have a warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach - I think it's an ulcer.

I'm saying prayers for everyone's safety - here and abroad.

I called my mom, her first reaction was: we are not leaving. :eek: that's not the plan!

I called United Airlines, and ended up with some impolite Dutch man. His recation? "Why do you call and worry, you still have two weeks before you leave!" Yes, and can I change my itinerary? Go from Brussels to Washington and then to LAX instead of Heathrow to LAX? I guess not...

I asked my mom to call the British embassy, I hope they will somehow reassure her.
In the meanwhile, I'm going to find out in what cases our cancellation insurance will pay back our plane tickets. One can always find a doctor who is willing to declare that one can't fly, so that we can cancel these flights and book other flights (Belgium directly to US and then to LAX, instead of going through London).

I feel sick. I really do. I am not the person who is scared easily, and most times I think thing that happen to me are "thrills", but this scares me. Big time.
Also, on a more selfish note: I count the days/ hours for this vacation. It would be somehow a dream-vacation: going once more to DL for the 50th and afterwards going to visit my "second family" in Texas; I haven't seen them in years, and I really miss my "mommy Margaret". I am very selfish, but I don't want this to interfere with my vacation.
Do those terrorists have nothing better to do? Really...

OMG! I couldn't stay asleep so I got up so DH can sleep only to find this out. What has our would come to? :sad1:

I wish everyone everywhere safety and peace!

I wonder what ever happened to the saying "Pace on earth, good will to all men?" I'll say an extra prayer for you and your Mom Sandra. Stay safe.

Great, now they cancelled all flight from Brussels to London Heathrow.

In what for a world do we live today? I don't want to be a pessimist or a philisoph (sp?), but I have more and more the idea that I don't want to put children on a world where everything turns square.

Before, you had a war with a battle field, and as long as you stayed clear from there you were "safe". Nowadays, you're never ever safe. Every day when I take the underground, there is a risk that there will be explosions, every time you go to a major hotel there is a risk there will be explosions, every tie you go to some event/ ... with lots of people, there is a risk there will be some attack.
It are things one can't think about, because it drives you crazy, but still... In what for a world do we live today? Don't those people have anything better to do? Like live with their family, make a better place of their country and live a happy life?

:(

ETA: The British embassy had nothing useful to say... great... Thirteen more days before take-off... hopefully, by then, the risk has gotten smaller. Although, that would also mean less control activities...
Also on the websites of the airlines, there is still nothing mentioned about the extra security measures regarding luggage. If you don't look it up on CNN or so, you don't even know what you're expected to do!

SandraVB79 many hugs, prayers and good thoughts that all will turn out fine with you travel plans. I can imagine your concern with your trip coming up soon. I would imagine in 2 weeks the carry on restrictions will still apply but be a little more clear. I know it will make for a pretty boring flight but hopefully the airlines will do things to make it better for travelers.

Take Care
Jamie

Obi Wan Kenobi said:
just been informed that security is now heightened in the USA for all commercial flights in the USA.
Major delays expected at all airports

Just my luck. I fly tomorrow. Normally I wouldn't care, as I've got a Clear Card, but my son will be with me this time, and he doesn't, so it's the normal security line for us...

I'm glad that they caught them. I am so sick of terrorirsts. Unfortunately the few rotten eggs put a bad taste in the mouth fo the world for a large religious/ethnic group.

BTW--Did anybody hear about the group of 18 Eygyptian young men who came into the US on student Visa's and disappeared? The FBI is seeking them for questioning.

Anne

Thank you all

My mind knows that in two weeks, most issues will be cleared out, but still, it freaks me out :)
In July 2002, I had to take an American Airlines flight from Boston to LAX... well... it freaked me out and I kind of drugged myself to stay calm, lol!

I truly understand the current restrictions for carry on items in the UK but I can not imagine traveling without carrying on several items. We normally have our laptop, a dvd player, cd player, snacks, pad pencils for my son, camera, all of our medicines, a change of clothes for my son, books and a bottle drink. Surely I will happily comply with any changes to the carry on policy for US travel but that will be the longest 2 1/2 hours with a 9 year old (well 2 cus we are bring a friends daughter) on a plane!

Hugs go out to all those currently effected by this situation. May your delays be short and your fears calmed.

Hugs
Jamie

mmausse said:
Some more news - Homeland Security has raised the USA terror alert for all airlines to our highest level - RED - meaning attack is expected.

I just heard on Fox that the threat level was rasied to Orange for all US flights. But any flights in and out of the UK is a Red Level.

Take Care
Jamie

Ugh, my husband has to fly on Sat. It's just a short jump, not international anymore, but still makes me nervous.

Does anyone still believe were not fighting World War IV? :furious:

Well I will pray for anyone that needs to fly anywhere that they arrive safe and sound. It is so sad that we have to live in such fear.

We were to be in WDW just 3 days after Sept 11 happened. We were driving, but I was scared to death. We did end up going, but the parks were eerily empty. Flags flown at half staff. :sad2:

I hope everything calms down before your trip Sandra!

Anne I wish you and your son safety on your trip home! I can't even imagine how long it is going to take to get you through security.

They are making mothers tastes their babies bottles in front of security before they can take it on the plane. It is so sad we have to be this cautious. :sad2:

AP are saying that it was three US airlines that were being targetted from different UK airports, United, Continental and American.

Even though the plot has been thwarted, this is going to effect passenger levels on these airlines and they might not make it through...

BTW--Did anybody hear about the group of 18 Eygyptian young men who came into the US on student Visa's and disappeared? The FBI is seeking them for questioning.

Anne

It was just on the news - the FBI has arrested 4 of them - 3 were found, I believe, in Georgia, and 1 in California - no excuses given as to why they were there. And no word on the others. I am VERY thankful for the Patriot Act which mandated that if foreign students don't show up at the schools they're supposed to be at, the school must contact the FBI and tell them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter