Major bag meltdown! Can't decide!

dedex13

Mouseketeer
I'm new to Disney and expect I will need to carry more into the park than I normally do when we take our annual trip to Knoebels Amusement Park in PA. I normally carry a mini backpack that I sling over one shoulder, but all I can really fit into it is a couple of bottles of water and my personal items.

I purchased this Overland Equipment bag: Helena and I really, really like it. Except I can't wear it the way it was intended. :sad: It seems I have a problem with my left shoulder and cannot tolerate a bag hanging there. I can, however, sling it over my right shoulder, wear it cross body across my front, or strap it around my waist. I'm tempted to do this, because the bag is absolutely perfect otherwise and I could alternate between carrying it over my shoulder and my waist, but my DD14 has declared she will disown me because it looks so ridiculous. :scared1:

I also purchased the Overland Equipment Donner bag, which also seems to be a fabulous bag and with some creative packing I think I can make everything fit. And for short periods it would work great... but I'm afraid I won't be able to wear it for hours over just one shoulder.

So I'm looking at lumbar packs and am considering this one: Mountainsmith Tour TLS. How much trouble is something that huge going to cause me on the rides? I'd never wear something like that to Knoebels because it would have to be removed for almost every ride.

Cargo shorts are not an options since I cannot stand having anything pull on my clothing.

Any thoughts? Input from people with shoulder issues would be very helpful!

I have never tried one, but a lot of people recommend the Vera Bradley bags. http://www.verabradley.com/product/...ummer+Cottage/pc/639/c/0/sc/872/p/1001657.uts It can be worn on one shoulder or cross-body. People have said they're pretty comfortable. Hope this helps. :)

Also, I generally just carry a wallet, germ-ex, a couple bottles of water, a poncho, park maps, and a few things here and there when I'm at Disney. Try not to carry too much so you don't get tired of carrying the bag. If wearing the bag you own is comfortable wearing around your waist and your right shoulder for a while, I would suggest doing that. If my mom (I'm 15 by the way) did that, I'd understand completely. People at Disney don't care. Trust me, I've seen worse.

What do you think you are going to need inside the bag?
We got a backpack (from 09 I think)at Disney. We put in rain ponchos, extra batteries for camera, trading pins, socks ( I can't stand wet socks)..I think that's all. I also carry a small purse with me. Inside the purse, we have the camera, key cards, extra contacts, eye drops, gum, chapstick and germ x. We take turns carrying each thing so no one gets tired of them.
I think you should make a list of what you feel needs to be in the bag then pick one that works! Like the PP said...there are worse things to see at Disney than someone with a waist bag....:rotfl2:
Good luck

Take a bag big enough for what YOU need. Sounds like your DD is old enough to carry her own stuff. All you need is tickets, room key, camera, ID, credit card. That's all.

all we carry is a small bottle of sunscreen, water, camera, maybe a poncho and wallets.

I love my baggalinis. I have a couple of the smaller bags for WDW and have larger ones for at home. They have alot of compartments, are lightweight and long straps so they can go across your body. I have given them as gifts a couple of times and my friends love them also. Amazing what they can hold. You can find them at bagsbuy.com. Alot of different styles and colors. One friend said she also saw them at AAA.

No matter what you place items in - please do not place money, credit cards, room keys , tickets or any document with your name/address on you back or behind.

Most people are honest and good people in WDW - but there are some who would love to prey on guests with large wallets...pick pockets....

I would use anything which either sits by your waist line near your arms or in front of you.

Just my 2 cents.

I am going to use either a bag which has a handle which goes from one shoulder down to my waist on the opposite side - or a fanny pack, with the pack placed on my side towards the front.

Hey, I am in WDW - no judgement zone :), I just want to keep our mioney and identity to ourselves and not any theives :goodvibes

Vera Bradley bags are beautiful and very comfortable to wear being that they're all cotton. They are also very fashionable! I have several myself that I use for my everyday purse. The only downside to the VB bags is that they are not water proof.

I recently just purchased an ebag from ebags.com and I was "test driving" it around locally when a huge storm came through. Everything in my bag remained dry. I also accidentally got paint on it while I must have brushed against a wall that had been recently painted. Came off no problem! The bag that I purchased is the piazza day bag and it has lots of pockets, but it's a bit small if you're carrying a ton of stuff. I know ebags has a bigger option, but I'm not sure what the name of it is. Worth checking out though! :)

My husband and I rent a locker for a day and pack it with snacks and water. When we want something we just go back to the locker. It is so much easier that way.

I live like 30 mins if that frome knoebels just wated to say hi and its cool that u go there

I have a small vera bradley backpack I am going to use. It will be be big enough for small camera (not taking our large one, not necessary for just the two of us), wallet, poncho (if necessary) and chap stick.

Just my 2 cents, but I've used a Vera Bradley hipster on all of our previous trips and it worked out great for me. I did recently purchase a Vera Bradley backpack (the smaller of the 2) for our upcoming December trip - and I gave it a "test drive" at Hershey Park a couple of weekends ago and I found it to be just as good!

Go to Allears.net and read their section with suggestions on what to carry with you. My shoulder bothers me too, so today I headed to a local sporting goods store and bought a geeky, dorky fanny pack. I have always used one in the parks, but must have lost mine in the move awhile back.
Many people will be wearing one there, so you wont be a freak. Dont go overboard, look for one just big enough to carry the essentials. Look for a small seperated zippered area for just your id card. Look for another larger zippered area with a seperate zippered place insde it for cash, and enough room in the main pocket for your camera, a small bottle of sunblock, sunglasses, a tissue, and a small pack of wet handwipes. You can find those at Target or anywhere in the sample size section for about $2 for 20 or so.Good for fast hand clean ups, or wiping your hot, sweaty forehead! I like having just my pass in a seperate zipper section, so that I dont have to worry about dropping it when I am accessing my cash or the other stuff. I also like having a seperated zip within the larger area for just my cash, again, to avoid losing it.
Your shoulder will thank you for leaving it alone, and you willl not even notice the pack around your waist. I wouldnt go any other way.

I live like 30 mins if that frome knoebels just wated to say hi and its cool that u go there

LOVE Knoebels! :love: My family has been going for over twenty years! I'm very sad that we will miss our trip this year, but my brother just had to get married the weekend before we go. And, well, Knoebels is great, but my sisters and I decided since we would already be in Orlando we would go to Disney instead. My parents and another brother will still be going to Knoebels. My mom is afraid if she cancels we will lose our week.

As far as my bag dilemma goes, I finally decided on an Overland Equipment Bayliss. It can be worn as a shoulder bag or around the waist. It's very small and I will probably need to figure out something else for my cell phone (which is huge). The main zipper compartment is big enough for a rain poncho and a bottle of sunscreen. Another zippered compartment has slots for credit cards and some slide pockets. There is also some room under the flap which has a semi-hidden zippered compartment and another slide pocket. And I will get one for my daughter as well and hopefully between the two of us we will have enough room to carry everything we need. I'm going to get a couple of these for our water bottles.

All I have ever carried to the parks is a small cross body purse. In it I have a small change purse which serves as my wallet, camera, 2 packs of cigarettes, my glasses case (to switch from regular to sunglasses), chap stick and a phone. I also need to carry Excedrin with me because I will get a headache going in and out of the air-conditioning so I carry some in a small baggie because I hate the pills rattling in their container when I walk, plus it takes up less space. I also have a carabiner clipped to it for when DH wants to take off his hat. Then I add park maps and such each day and still have a little room for a few other small things. Nothing else is necessary to bring to the park.

Until I have small children I will never carry anything larger.

Knoebels is one of my favorite parks anywhere! In some ways, their Haunted Mansion beats Magic Kingdom's. The Phoenix is one of my all-time favorite coasters, anywhere!

As a veteran amusement park visitor, I found that I am more likely to need a rain poncho and dry clothes at any Orlando park more than I would at Knoebels, but for the most part what works at Knoebels will work at Disney (or Orlando in general).

I also find I drink more water at WDW than I would Knoebels, Cedar Point, etc.

If you are a frequent visitor to amusement parks in general, you are several steps ahead of many people who visit WDW where their trip is their first experience at a theme park, but that's a topic for another thread...

:thumbsup2

You will be much more comfortable taking the least amount as possible and using a bag that is wearable for long hours. My children are 8 & 9 now and I expect them to take what they want in the parks. My son wears cargo shorts, like DH, and they both can carry their money/wallet, park map, and even a water bottle in their pockets. They can even fold their hats into their back pockets. But they usually have me hold their sunglasses for rides ;)

DD takes a small bag herself and puts her chapstick, sunglasses, money, and pins in it.

As for me, I prefer a lightweight cross-body style in a washable cloth fabric that can 'expand' if stuffed full. I do have a Vera Bradley Hipster but it's so long - and I'm so short - that it takes up a large portion of my body! I primarily have used a Fossil bag that I got 10 years ago. I've found the waterproof bags to be heavier (I tried the Bagallini at WDW) and it doesn't do much for me anyway since I typically don't stand out in a heavy downpour with my purse - it is kept underneath my poncho or umbrella. I have a large enough bag to hold - sunglasses + case, wallet, small cosmetic bag, phone, bottled water, and other small items.

Recently, I purchased a sunglass holder from WDW that clips so I've been trying out new, smaller purses where I can clip this on the outside and that works well. I'm now considering getting the water bottle holders that can either be held separately or attached to a belt loop/purse. If I can find that, I'm downsizing to a Lizzy purse by Vera that I bought recently.

The other thing to remember is that on some rides, you either have to make sure your purse is strapped in next to you or contained in the 'net' they have. If your bag is too big, you can't put it in that net and it can be uncomfortable next to you under a restraint.

ummm...it's an amusement park,no need to melt down over which bag to carry...;) pick something comfortable,and then decide what you want o carry around. like many pp's have said, carry the minimum. I personaly use my old baggalini,it's ugly, but waterproof.:thumbsup2
it has pockets,etc- and I usually carry a wallet and germ-x.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
which leaves lots of room in the bag for when I buy stuff,or carry a jacket for cool nights(stuffed in the bag) other than that,its' a theme park,not a wilderness trek.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter