Main Street USA "Bypass" To Be Constructed

Disneyland Paris has a beautiful "arcade"/walkway that runs behind the left-hand side of Main Street. It is covered with an arched open-beamed roof and includes entrances to all of the Main Street stores. It was beautiful and matched the beauty of the rest of Main Street's theming. We would have never seen it except for the fact the Chase ATM was located there and we needed euros!

I was thinking I thought WDW had one, but after this post I realised I had seen it at DLP its a good idea and nicely done.

Kirsten

I was thinking I thought WDW had one, but after this post I realised I had seen it at DLP its a good idea and nicely done. Kirsten

There are actually arcades on both sides with a great Victorian theme, working gas lamps etc. you can also gain access to the shops from these arcades. If this development is similar, it should be excellent. I suspect however that it won't be that intricate as it won't be open all the time.

Disneyland Paris has a beautiful "arcade"/walkway that runs behind the left-hand side of Main Street. It is covered with an arched open-beamed roof and includes entrances to all of the Main Street stores. It was beautiful and matched the beauty of the rest of Main Street's theming. We would have never seen it except for the fact the Chase ATM was located there and we needed euros!

That's what I was thinking of. We used that exit to leave. It's a indoor bipass. We used the washrooms there. It would fit perfectly with theming and very practical.

Note that in Tokyo, the side streets from Main Street/World Bazaar lead to Tomorrowland and Adventureland, so this idea isn't totally unprecedented (although it seems doubtful that the plan for Orlando's MK is as sophisticated.)

Tomorrowland%20Entrance%203.jpg

I was thinking of this the moment I read the first post. It was one of our favorite features of DLP, especially after the nighttime fireworks!

Just an idea, but why not control the number of people better on any given day instead of creating this backstage route. In other words, lower the number of people allowed in at any time. I know its a corporation and they are in it for the profit, but if demand is getting this high, that just means they can sustain increased prices. I would rather pay a bit more and have a more enjoyable experience, rather than facing obscene crowds or have to shuffle through a parking lot instead of main street.

I guess my concern is how do you control being popular? I prefer "Natural crowd control" i.e. raising prices to lower occupancy, but then Disney gets seen as Rich only.

I am not a fan of closing the parks off based on population. I hate that they have to do it now. There is nothing worse than going to Disney and not being able to get into a park because they closed the enterance. Although many of the people who frequent Disney know when to go and how to avoid these things, many of the rare vacationer or first timers - the ones who I really want to get to see what makes Disney so special to the rest of us - don't know to do this research before hand because they wouldn't even guess it would be a problem.

You can always make more things to do - more parks, etc to spread the crowd... but then the crowds get bigger! The world can always make more crowd.

I leave you with this final thought.

Clark Griswald: Roy... can I call you Roy? Have you even driven cross-country?
Roy Walley: Oh, h--- yes. Drove the whole family to Florida. Worst two weeks I ever spent in my life. The smell from the back seat was terrible.
Clark Griswald: Ooooh. Ooooh, I know that smell. Roy, could you imagine if you had driven all the way to Florida and it was closed?
Roy Walley: Closed? Uh, they don't close Florida.

They should do something similar to what the Hogwarts Express is expected to do at UO and have you walk through a tunnel with images of whatever projected on the walls. ;)

I don't like it!!I like seeing the backstage areas and I like seeing them unthemed.You're not supposed to see those areas and that's what makes it special when you see them that way.Probably not the way most people look at it but that's how I feel about it.

When I read this I, too, immediately thought of Disneyland Paris. The extra walkways on the side of Main Street are terrific and work well. I'm so glad they are doing this in Fl.

I only walked back there once. I thought it was awesome! But if I used it often, I can see how it would be, "unmagical" and needed to be made an official looking Main Street-ish looking area. But I am getting reeeaallly tired of construction in Magic Kingdom. I can't remember the last time I went and there was no cranes, or scaffolding or some part of the park closed off. :sad1:

I don't like it!!I like seeing the backstage areas and I like seeing them unthemed.You're not supposed to see those areas and that's what makes it special when you see them that way.Probably not the way most people look at it but that's how I feel about it.

Wait until they figure out people will tap their MagicBands™ and pay to use the "by-pass" to get out of the park faster...

Well Walt's dead (and he's not coming back from being cryogenically frozen) and Main Street is way too crowded at times and some folks just want to get to the Hub and further into the Park, or just get out of the park, so I say bring it on!!!

exactly! Walt wanted people happy too right? I'd be happy to try to swim upstream like a trout going to spawn when I want to get to Tomorrowland during a parade and everyone else is trying to leave as we walk along a tiny little path along Main Street. I'd love to end up right near space as that is usually my goal since you pretty much have to head towards tomorrowland to get around the parade if you enter during it, why not go for that ride first. If I had my choice I'd go to adventureland first but hey, I made my decision to go when the parade starts so I have to just deal :P. I'm sure there is a way I could head that way during the parade but I usually just go the way I know I can for sure and just work my way over to Adventureland after I do everything else.

I've been to Disney World many times and during peak periods, but I think I've only had the option of using this back entrance once. I've been on Main Street when it was ridiculously crowded (barely anyone can move, those with good balance are walking curbs like they're a tight rope), and it would have improved the situation greatly to have it open. I'm glad they're building something that can be used all of the time, and it's not just discretionary.

I'm glad they're building something that can be used all of the time, and it's not just discretionary.

I'm going to assume that the alternate route's use will still be only during the busiest and most congested times, based on the discretion of park management.

I'm going to assume that the alternate route's use will still be only during the busiest and most congested times, based on the discretion of park management.

If that's the case, it sounds like a waste of time and money to me. I wish they would deem it necessary a little bit more frequently than they do now. If it literally takes 15 minutes to get from the tunnel under the train station to the candy shop due to sheer number of people, it's time to open the alternate route.

If that's the case, it sounds like a waste of time and money to me. I wish they would deem it necessary a little bit more frequently than they do now.

If it literally takes 15 minutes to get from the tunnel under the train station to the candy shop due to sheer number of people, it's time to open the alternate route.

I'll also assume that if that's the case, they WOULD have the route open.
(That would be its purpose, after all.)

But, when there's just "regular day traffic" on Main Street, I'd think that
they'd want to keep the area in what we now know as "normal" to offer the true "Walt Disney experience" of the place.

Dressing up the alternate route would make opening/using that option more enjoyable and less "bad show" when it was needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter