• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mailing Postcards from Castaway Cay

frozeninroch

Earning My Ears
Hi!

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of sending postcards from Castaway Cay...

We were on the Feb 19, 3 day Wonder cruise. We bought about $30 worth of postcards & postcards stamps at CC. We even used a tip from the boards & brought address labels we pre-printed at home (great idea!). We mailed the postcards at the CC post office, just before we got back on the boat - Feb. 21.

They did warn us at the post office that it may take a little longer than US mail, because it's the Bahamas... but

My parents just got their postcard on MARCH 12!!!!! That's a REALLY long time... Feb 21-Mar 12, certainly more than a "little bit longer than US mail"!

So I guess the moral of the story is, it's neat to have a postcard from CC with a CC stamp (picture of the Wonder/Magic) & CC postmark (and it's a good idea to print the address lablels ahead of time), but don't hold your breath waiting for the postcards to get to their destination!

Gee, when I was reading your post I thought - March 12th - that was quick....I think our cards took about 7 weeks - I had heard 1-2 months was common so I had low expectations....for my family it was a terrific reminder of a wonderful day just as the memories were beginning to fade (and homework was a burden again!)

Barbara

I got mine in like 2 weeks. So did all the people that I sent them to...but I hand wrote my addresses...does that have something to do with it?

We were on the 8-23-03 cruise last summer and sent ourselves a postcard from CC, the postcard was mailed 8-29-03 and we received it about 2-3 weeks later.

Does anyone remember how much it is to mail a postcard back tot he US? This is one of the few places you need cash & I don't want to be carrying more than I have to.

We paid .65 cents postage for the larger postcards.

This is very cool-- I am sending a couple to myself (in case one gets lost) just to have it for our scrapbook. :)

On our last cruise, we mailed postcards at CC to most of our friends. The funny part was that a few of them were living in Germany at the time, and they received their postcards almost a week before the people in the US did! Go figure.

Originally posted by frozeninroch
Hi!

My parents just got their postcard on MARCH 12!!!!! That's a REALLY long time... Feb 21-Mar 12, certainly more than a "little bit longer than US mail"!

So I guess the moral of the story is, it's neat to have a postcard from CC with a CC stamp (picture of the Wonder/Magic) & CC postmark (and it's a good idea to print the address lablels ahead of time), but don't hold your breath waiting for the postcards to get to their destination!

Well, I had also read on these boards it may take up to a month or more for the postcards to arrive back home... so Feb 21-March 12 is not really that long..

The mail may not go out that day you're at the post office, they may have to wait for the next ship to come to the island, then who knows where it has to go from there..

CGC33A-- I believe it may be 55 cents, but I'm not positive, but you're right, you do need cash for the stamps, small bills preferably or change....The Post Office runs out of money quickly!!

55 or 65 cents per stamp. Try to bring exact change or small bills. If everyone wants a stamp and shows up with a $20, they run out of money. Try to remember to bring some coins on the cruise with you - and then try to remember to take them with you off of the ship for this purchase. On the island, all of the other souvineers can be charged to your KTTW card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter