Maiden Name Passport Question

ktpc2005

Earning My Ears
My SIL is cruising with us on a Alaska cruise next month out of Vancouver. She never had her passport changed after four years of marriage and she does not want to get it changed before going.

Her cruise tickets are in her maiden name, but she was wondering if they will give her a hard time with her kids as she has her maiden name on her reservation and her husband and kids are on there with the correct last name.

Should she bring any additional documents with her?

My SIL is cruising with us on a Alaska cruise next month out of Vancouver. She never had her passport changed after four years of marriage and she does not want to get it changed before going.

Her cruise tickets are in her maiden name, but she was wondering if they will give her a hard time with her kids as she has her maiden name on her reservation and her husband and kids are on there with the correct last name.

She should be fine. Lots of people bring their kids' friends, nieces, nephews, etc... on cruises with them. And lots of parents don't have the same last name as their kids. As long as her cruise information is in her maiden name, and matches her passport, then she SHOULD be OK. If she's in doubt, she should call DCL ahead of time and make sure.

I'm going through the same thing right now - I'm getting married in 2 months, but all my info is in my maiden name, and I'm just not changing my name until after I get back from the cruise (as long as I do it within 1 year of getting my passport, which will be next March, then it's free). So, I also did some checking on this to make sure of what I needed to do and what name I should put my passport under, etc... And from what I found out, I think your SIL will be fine.

Two of my cousins, and my best friend kept their names when they got married, but their husband and children all have the same last name. They are harrassed more for dinner reservations than when they travel -- as long as her tickets, reservations, drivers license, credit card, etc. all match and have the same name there's no problem. If ANY of these documents have a different last name call ahead (aka for flights, if you used your credit card to purchase tickets your need to have your license match. If you're not flying or the card is husbands, no problem.)

Again, the women in my life never changed their name so they don't have any conflicting documentation. As always, if there is any question I would ask ask ask to make sure you have smoooooooth sailing!!!!

As long as everything matches for her (passport, reservation, etc) it will be no problem. Plenty of women keep their maiden name. Plenty of couples do not marry and their kids have mom's last name. it's not up to the cruise line to determine who is related to who.

If her names don't match (reservation and passport) they might not let her board...this happened to a friend of mine recently.

it's not up to the cruise line to determine who is related to who.

It's not the cruise line that are responsible for determining who is related to who.

If your departing US land and going on a cruise then it is exactly the same as flying out of the US on an airplane.

Immigration department officers are the ones that dictate who can leave and who can enter.

This forum is great for advice, but it is only advice.

Speak to your local state department and confirm it with them as you wouldn't want to be denied boarding because "someone on the DISboards said it was OK, or someone on the DISboards said they done it."

Ex Techie

For what it's worth,

I changed my name earlier this year and I am renewing my passport (AGAIN! I just had to renew it 2 years ago) with my new name ASAP (we are cruising next year). From what I read on the passport website, it needs to be changed to match all of my other documentation and etc.

I am NOT going to mess with what will let me come back into the USA. Besides, we will surely use it again before 10 years is up.

I never changed my name when I got married. We just cruised Boston to Montreal and as long as your passport name matches your reservation name it shouldn't be a problem. We had to fill out customs forms in Montreal and they only had us fill out 1 form since we all lived in one residence even with different last names. My DH and DD have the same last name and no one questioned that she is my DD. Have a great time on your cruise.

I had to show a copy of my marriage license when I cruised after getting married, but not yet changing the name on my passport. I would make sure she takes a copy of her marriage license just to be safe.

Since her cruise documents and her passport match she should be fine. As far as the kids go, I would bring the birth certificate just in case. That way they will see that everything matches up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter