• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magnets

What is the most cost effective way to make the door magnets? Magnetic sheets or printing them and putting magnets on the back?

I have done it both ways...while they look good, the magnetic sheets are pretty pricey. My last cruise I printed on photo paper and put magnets on the back and they worked really well. Some people print on regular paper and laminate it, but I found that printing on photo paper gives you a really good quality look. I will be using the photo paper and magnets for my next cruise too.

I just printed ours last week. I used photo paper, laminated them, and then used the magnets that come in a roll with adhesive on one side. They look great and are nice and sturdy from the laminating.

I bought the magnetic paper. It was about $14.00 for 6 sheets. They look really good but I think in hindsight using photo paper and adding magnetic tape would be more cost effective. Also the magnetic paper is not glossy and I think they would look better and the images would be sharper with glossy photo paper.

I bought magnetic sheets from Office Depot the other day for my door designs. $17.49 for 5 sheets! :headache:

It would definitely be cheaper to print your designs on regular paper, laminate them and stick some magnets on the back.

On the other hand, the magnetic sheets look so glossy and nice. Super excited to put them on my door in 16 days.

I really like the way my magnets print brightly and pop on Avery's magnetic paper. I wait until Office Max has discount coupons and stock up.

I printed mine on card stock paper, laminated them and the put magnets on the back. Was way cheaper and I was able to make a lot of them. I also made some as FE gifts :)

I don't know that it was cost effective but I bought the magnetic sheets from Staples and they came out so good. Super glossy and very vivid. I am so excited to put them on my door. :thumbsup2

I've found some really pretty magnets on etsy but in the end it'll cost me a lot so I think I'll try the glossy magnet sheets from staples! We'll see how it works out

I've found some really pretty magnets on etsy but in the end it'll cost me a lot so I think I'll try the glossy magnet sheets from staples! My daughter and I have our first ever cruise in aug! Oooooooooo so darn excited :hourglass

The ones from Staples work reallly well IMO plus I think they are on sale right now. ;)

Have a great cruise. :thumbsup2

I just printed ours last week. I used photo paper, laminated them, and then used the magnets that come in a roll with adhesive on one side. They look great and are nice and sturdy from the laminating.

That's what I do as well:thumbsup2
Plus if I leave the date off I can re-use the magnets on future cruises.

What does everyone use as a printer? Anyone know a good printer that is good on ink?

I use a small, inexpensive HP laser. It's not great on ink but I rarely use colored ink, so usually only have to buy black ink. :)

The ink is what gets me!

I know, right? I think the ink costs more than my printer did. :lmao:

I did purchase a new cartridge before printing my magnets and it is still holding up but generally when I print I don't print in color so that helps.

What is the most cost effective way to make the door magnets? Magnetic sheets or printing them and putting magnets on the back?

Neither.

1.) Upload images to somewhere. We use Shutterfly & then get them printed at Target. They are 19 cents for a 4x6, $2.98 for an 8x10 (& I forget how much a 5x7 is).

2.) Go to Michaels & get a roll of ProMag magnetic roll. It's $9.99 & I use a coupon for 40 or 50% off.

3.) Peel off sticky part and affix photo. Then cut to fit.

Super cheap and way prettier than the ones printed on inkjet printers.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Neither.

1.) Upload images to somewhere. We use Shutterfly & then get them printed at Target. They are 19 cents for a 4x6, $2.98 for an 8x10 (& I forget how much a 5x7 is).

2.) Go to Michaels & get a roll of ProMag magnetic roll. It's $9.99 & I use a coupon for 40 or 50% off.

3.) Peel off sticky part and affix photo. Then cut to fit.

Super cheap and way prettier than the ones printed on inkjet printers.

I read this process on your husband's blog but found the magnetic sheets at Staples and thought I would give it a try. It was super easy and they turned out really beautiful even though they were printed on a laserjet printer. ;)

I read this process on your husband's blog but found the magnetic sheets at Staples and thought I would give it a try. It was super easy and they turned out really beautiful even though they were printed on a laserjet printer. ;)

I'm sure they were. For us, it's just waaayyyy more economical to do it the other way.

Actually, we re-use our 3 name magnets for each cruise. DH usually just designs one cruise specific 8x10 & we get it printed for $2.89. So, one magnet roll ($5) lasts us 3 cruises. That means each cruise costs us under $5 total for magnets. Not bad!!

I used Avery matte magnetic sheets from Amazon, and they looked great and seemed reasonably priced, but didn't stick well at all on door 7620 on the Magic earlier this month. They stuck OK to the inside, but the outside seemed like they'd re-painted it and the paint was thicker & textured and they barely stuck.

We looked around at others that seemed to be a good combo of looking good and also sticking well, and in the future, I'll go with printing on glossy photo paper and applying the peel and stick magnet strips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter