Magnets in a Carry-On (TSA Regulations)

TravelBugg

Earning My Ears
We are planning on decorating our cabin as soon as we get there, before our daughter gets in there. That said, I have heard we should use magnets since the rooms are magnetic. We are taking the decorations in my husband's laptop bag but we also need to take the magnets. I know this is a crazy question but are there any TSA restrictions to how many magnets we can take in our carry-on? We have quite a few. Just didn't want to raise any flags, etc. trying to get the magnets there.

Thanks!

Actually, the "recommendation" to use magnets is by DCL rules -- no adhesives of any kind may be used, and no over the door hangers either. That essentially leaves magnets since the doors are metal.

I also have had not problem with TSA and magnets in a carry-on.

Also note that staterooms are not typically available until around 1:30pm, so you may need to have a diversion planned while someone goes to decorate the door if you want it to be a surprise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the replies so far. I could very well be thinking of a different cruise line/ship but part of the decorations I have hang from the ceiling. I think I remember reading the ceiling is magnetic too. Is that right or am I delusional?

Oh and we will be sure not to have to magnets with a laptop. We just have a couple of laptop backpack bags that are the perfect size to be considered a "personal item" for Allegiant Air. :)

We are getting really excited. Just a couple of weeks away! We're hoping all the disease scares don't get out of control now. :(

In my Wonder cabin... the door and ceiling were great with magnets (I brought a magnet flashlight).... sadly the wall was not.

We got stopped going through security in the Vancouver airport after our DCL cruise last June. We had all the magnets from our stateroom door in my carry on bag because it was one of the last things we packed. That bag got flagged in the X-ray machine and we got pulled aside. They asked if there was anything suspicious and I forgot we even had the magnets in there. They had to take everything out of the bag and go through it and found the pile of Disney themed magnets. I quickly explained they were for our door decor and had forgot they were there. The guy laughed it off, gave them back, and passed us through. He did say they looked very odd on the X-ray.

Didn't get into trouble, but it did delay us a little. You can carry them but it might be a good idea to stick them in a ziploc and pass them through separate just for clarification and efficiency!

We have made door magnets for FE gifts and DH has carried them on in his backpack several times but he was only flagged once and they just opened his back and looked. What took us all the time was it was a female TSA agent and she wanted to know how he made them (Micky head chalkboards).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter