Magnet test for pins.

DisneyRunner2009

DIS Veteran
Has anybody tried or heard of this? My sister had someone at Disneyland testing her sons pins before trading. Now we test our pins to check authenticity, using this method. We get mixed results. Some of our authentic pins stick to the magnet and others don't.

No..I have never heard of such a thing..
her pins must have really looked fake..for them to do this..
I did hear..that last month..downtown Disney..got hit with a bunch of fake pins..and..evicted a family..
but, they caught on..not with a magnet or any brilliant deducting..
but because..the family..went to every CM...
and traded 2 pins each..without any regard..for what they were trading.
They did this over and over again for 3 days..then..the CMs noticed..lol

Huh. I've never heard of that either... Tested some of mine. A few that I suspected were fakes did stick to the magnet. While none of the ones I knew were real (as in bought them myself) did.

I think this is a great find! :thumbsup2 I think I'll be bringing a magnet with me on our upcoming trip.

That may work for actually FAKES, but scrappers that come off the line and do not meet Disney standards would not pass that test would they? I mean, they should be the same material, just not quality pins which is what a lot of scrappers are

We didn't find this to be a reliable way to test pins. We found that the magnet stuck to pins that it should not have for this test to be correct. We did use it a time or two but overall found it unreliable so we stopped using it.

I've not heard of this testing method, nor seen it done in the parks before. From the previous posts, I can't quite tell if real pins are supposed to be magnetic or not - should they be?

I would not think it would make a differnce expecialy if u are not trading

I've not heard of this testing method, nor seen it done in the parks before. From the previous posts, I can't quite tell if real pins are supposed to be magnetic or not - should they be?

Pins should not stick to the magnet if they are good pins.

I would not think it would make a differnce expecialy if u are not trading

I'm not sure why you posted? We are discussing pin trading here....

Has anybody tried or heard of this? My sister had someone at Disneyland testing her sons pins before trading. Now we test our pins to check authenticity, using this method. We get mixed results. Some of our authentic pins stick to the magnet and others don't.

I'm really late to this thread, but was just checking mine with a magnet. NONE of my official pins (meaning, ones I got directly from Disney or at the parks) stuck. I even tested pins released in 2001 for the 100 Years of Dreams set, so even those released back then did not stick to the magnet. On the other hand, I had bought a small lot on eBay a few years back (before knowing better). While most were OK, a couple of pins stuck right to the magnet. Upon close inspection (now that I DO know better), it is clear those are fake. Not just because they stuck to the magnet, but rough edges, misspelling, etc. So, as far as my own experience, none of my official Disney pins have stuck to a magnet yet..... from that, you can make what you will.

:badpc:Being Disney I thought they were supposed to trade with a few exceptions and no questions asked? If CM is using a magnet to check that means his or hers all past that test or can use the magnet to check theirs as well. That one should be reported and ask for explanation why if not did so.

Wonder what the CM would say "Sorry I Cannot trade your pin did not pass the magnet test " explain that one especially to a child. That would make a good youtube video.

Most if not all of the pins they CM have out those bulk purchase bags assortment ebay of questionable validitty so why put the guest in akward postion and maybe the did not know the same as CM.

Guess need a magnet and small loupe to make sure you get authentic pins in return.

Wonder how Disney China handles it as the majority "scrappers" pins as well as original pins are made in China.

Last edited:
The magnet test may have worked many years ago (I've been collecting for almost ten years and heard about it when I started collecting) but it is no longer a reliable method to tell fakes from real pins.

The magnet test may have worked many years ago (I've been collecting for almost ten years and heard about it when I started collecting) but it is no longer a reliable method to tell fakes from real pins.
Maybe, though so far I have tested magnets released as far back as 2001 and some just released and none stuck to the magnet. Only one stuck, which after careful inspection looks like a fake in comparison with another one just like it which is clearly not. Are there any legitimate pins that will stick to a magnet? Maybe, I cannot say, but so far none of my genuine ones have.

My wife and I was at the gift shop at French Quarter and asked the CM at the checkout to trade. When we made the swap she dropped it on a flat magnet she had laying there and said it was fake. How embarrassing. She still very nicely let us select one of her own and said she would just take the fake out of circulation. That was the first time I had ever heard of the magnet trick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter